Menu

2021 edition ~ Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here...

Kareni

5 minutes ago, Kassia said:

@Kareni Thank you for the links for the birding gifts.  I sent them to a friend with a son who is really into birding and she ordered a shirt, mug, and keychain and was so excited!  

I'm always happy when this thread helps someone find just the right gift. Thanks for letting me know, Kassia!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 5:48 PM, SusanC said:

I found this interesting art site called Retropolis. The art is like a yesteryear version of the future. I ordered and received a nice t-shirt for my astronomy loving dd.

For any Latin fans, we've been chuckling today in the Jokes & Memes thread about this Julius Caesar Ides of March pencil holder.

This is fabulous! I see several potential hits for my guys I'll consider.

• Like 3

On 10/26/2021 at 10:34 PM, Kareni said:

Do you favor a particular fragrance, happi duck? I read the description of A WHIFF OF WAFFLECONE, and it stated "Imaginary Authors developed this scent exclusively for Salt & Straw, a pioneering ice cream brand based in Portland, Oregon with outposts across the country."

I'd never heard of that brand until my sister sent me a three month subscription a couple of years ago. A fun coincidence!

Regards,

Kareni

Wait - what? Gift ice cream? Is it good? Can you compare it to something I might be familiar with - Breyers or Cold Stone? Grocery store or local specialty shop? We usually send something food for my SIL family to enjoy at Christmas because we don't see them - one of those pick your pints sets seems like a great idea.

• Like 1

Salt & Straw icecream is small batch, high end icecream. Salt & Straw is particularly known for unique flavor profiles like the ones I mentioned upthread. It’s a foodie mecca.

That said, their traditional flavors are very good. Sea salt with caramel ripples is good and very popular, as an example. I don’t think Breyers can compare to it. Breyers doesn’t have a thick rich mouthfeel. It’d be like comparing a glass of 1% to liquid whipping cream. Cold stone is probably a bit closer. 

Here’s a review by a Disney blogger (they put salt and straw into Disneyland recently): https://www.disneytouristblog.com/salt-straw-ice-cream-review/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

Would you prefer it over Breyers or a similar brand available in a grocery store?

I would prefer it over Breyers but not over Tillamook!

If your recipient likes unusual flavors, I think it would be a great choice. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Kassia said:

Is Tillamook that good?  I've never bought it.  I love love love ice cream but find Breyers kind of bland and not worth the calories.  

Tillamook ice cream is the equivalent yumminess as their cheese. Definitely a step up from the standard fare. It’s extremely rich and creamy (though at least out here on the opposite coast they don’t offer the unique flavors of small batch ice creams). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Tillamook ice cream is the equivalent yumminess as their cheese. Definitely a step up from the standard fare. It’s extremely rich and creamy (though at least out here on the opposite coast they don’t offer the unique flavors of small batch ice creams). 

hmm...I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing!  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kassia said:

Is Tillamook that good?  I've never bought it.  I love love love ice cream but find Breyers kind of bland and not worth the calories.  

Given a choice, I would pick Tillamook. I find Breyers to be icy while I'd describe Tillamook as creamy. (I will happily eat Breyers if it's the only ice cream around as at my sister's house.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Given a choice, I would pick Tillamook. I find Breyers to be icy while I'd describe Tillamook as creamy. (I will happily eat Breyers if it's the only ice cream around as at my sister's house.)

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you!  

I will happily eat any ice cream but like to know what is best!  🙂  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

What I really want is a Frasier quote on a plate or canvas to put in my kitchen, but I can't find it anywhere.  

Could you mount these?

Not quite what you are asking for, but what about this?

How about this?

How about this or this?

For the plate, this or this?

Or something different?

Perhaps a mug

Regards,

Kareni

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Could you mount these?

Not quite what you are asking for, but what about this?

How about this?

How about this or this?

For the plate, this or this?

Or something different?

Perhaps a mug

Regards,

Kareni

Ah crap, you and your dang thread is going to get me in trouble this year.  There’s a couple more things I want now!  I may do a custom platter!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@TechWife Since you (or your gift recipient) like traditional ice cream, like Breyers, but would like something more upscale than that, you might consider Graeters ice cream. It is very creamy and comes in traditional or specialty flavors. They are especially famous for their chocolate chip flavors, because the chocolate is in sheets and large chunks, not just typical chips. Their most popular flavor is black raspberry chocolate chip, which is delicious, and is DH's favorite. I personally go for the Buckeye Blitz when I get a scoop there, but every flavor I've tastetested has been yummy!

https://www.graeters.com/

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

@TechWife Since you (or your gift recipient) like traditional ice cream, like Breyers, but would like something more upscale than that, you might consider Graeters ice cream. It is very creamy and comes in traditional or specialty flavors. They are especially famous for their chocolate chip flavors, because the chocolate is in sheets and large chunks, not just typical chips. Their most popular flavor is black raspberry chocolate chip, which is delicious, and is DH's favorite. I personally go for the Buckeye Blitz when I get a scoop there, but every flavor I've tastetested has been yummy!

https://www.graeters.com/

It’s not that one is preferable to the other, I’m just trying to figure out quality to see if it’s really worth the price. I don’t want to pay $65 to send the equivalent of Breyers to someone, but if it’s higher quality it’s likely worthwhile with the added value of giving a unique gift and the ease of shipping (anything I can do to avoid the post office during the holidays is usually worth the cost of shipping). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TechWife said:

It’s not that one is preferable to the other, I’m just trying to figure out quality to see if it’s really worth the price. I don’t want to pay $65 to send the equivalent of Breyers to someone, but if it’s higher quality it’s likely worthwhile with the added value of giving a unique gift and the ease of shipping (anything I can do to avoid the post office during the holidays is usually worth the cost of shipping). 

Graeters is definitely a much more premium ice cream than Breyers. It's worth a splurge, in my opinion. If your person is a chocolate lover, especially. I can't speak for the other brand that was mentioned.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I've noticed most of the Breyers say "frozen dairy dessert" not ice cream anymore. 

Absolutely!  And I don't mind that so much as their ice creams have been very plain and nothing like the carton shows.  For example, if you buy cookies and cream, the carton shows lots of Oreo pieces in the ice cream but then you open the carton and you basically have a tub of vanilla ice cream (or frozen dairy dessert).  The cookie pieces are very few and far between and I'm tired of being disappointed so I stopped buying it.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Storygirl said:

Graeters is definitely a much more premium ice cream than Breyers. It's worth a splurge, in my opinion. If your person is a chocolate lover, especially. I can't speak for the other brand that was mentioned.

The Graeters looks yummy! The website shows that a nearby grocery store carries it, so I’m going to try some before I order. Thanks for putting me on to that! 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Today's find ~

Especially appropriate for the hive...

Honey bee wax seal signet ring

And a little different: Octopus wax seal signet ring

I'll admit to being a long time fan of using sealing wax on letters; my daughter is, too.

A Sealing Wax Starter Kit

Regards,

Kareni

My BFF loves all things stationary related— I don’t think she has sealing wax and a kit like this a perfect gift for her! Thank you!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

Today's find ~

Especially appropriate for the hive...

Honey bee wax seal signet ring

And a little different: Octopus wax seal signet ring

I'll admit to being a long time fan of using sealing wax on letters; my daughter is, too.

A Sealing Wax Starter Kit

Regards,

Kareni

One of my late sisters loved using sealing wax, this makes me think of her! I should get some.

Do you find that the wax seal survives the mail sorting machines or do you use two envelopes?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, happi duck said:

Do you find that the wax seal survives the mail sorting machines or do you use two envelopes?

I think it can be a bit hit or miss in the mail, so a second envelope has some merit. There is also fun to be had in using wax seals on messages that can be hand delivered such as party invitations, birthday cards, messages to friends, notes to Santa, ....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TechWife said:

The Graeters looks yummy! The website shows that a nearby grocery store carries it, so I’m going to try some before I order. Thanks for putting me on to that! 

Well, it’s a no-go on the ice cream gift. I don’t think the quality is worth the price. On to something else.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have one to add.  I have nice long matches next to a candle in our guest room. There are a few different brands and many colors available so you can match them to the candle if you want to. A jar of matches paired with a nice Sand & Fog candle would be a nice gift for someone. 
Matches: https://smile.amazon.com/Decorative-Matches-Premium-Artisan-Lighting/dp/B097FH19TK/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Decorative+matches&qid=1635645182&qsid=140-1928164-0910827&sr=8-5&sres=B088P86M2C%2CB0961TK74C%2CB08DKJ7GP5%2CB097FH19TK%2CB07T9BPFVK%2CB07QM2SFZY%2CB091BXC68R%2CB08Q3MDTTB%2CB08B82QT38%2CB08S455GCB%2CB08X3242T3%2CB09D8YQH4Y%2CB08D1H2D52%2CB08NY11G16%2CB091GMWTJ2%2CB096ZD64G5%2CB08BJFWF9Y%2CB07QMZH9XW%2CB07X4ZXSYG%2CB08PNTMDDS

Sand & Fog candles - I like this brand because their scents aren’t overwhelming. 
I get them at Home Goods. 
https://sandandfoghome.com

Candles aren’t really unique, but pairing one or two with a coordinating  jar of matches seems like a nice gift.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 5

This could be a cool (and consumable) gift for that hard-to-buy-for person who has everything, or anyone who is a serious foodie. It's a chocolate tasting experience with samples of different types of chocolates along with a guided tasting experience and tour of the chocolate-making facility via Zoom.

https://www.tazachocolate.com/collections/gifts-collections/products/virtual-tasting-kit

Deepen your chocolate tasting skills from home with a Virtual Tasting Kit! Our Kits are an all-inclusive experience that includes a box full of Taza Chocolate plus a log-in link for one device (computer, tablet, or smart phone) to a Virtual Chocolate Tasting via Zoom. We host our virtual tastings twice a week. Upon arrival, your Kit will include scheduling instructions for our Virtual Tasting Experience.

At our Virtual Tasting, you’ll experience a guided tasting of our unique stone ground chocolate with our expert Factory Tour team! You'll learn about Taza’s history, the growth and harvesting of cacao, Direct Trade sourcing, and our bean to bar chocolate making process. We’ll share video of our grinding and depositing rooms, just as if you were at the factory. Along the way we’ll sample a full range of stone ground chocolate together so you can learn all about the differences that bean origin, cacao percent, and flavor notes make in your chocolate experience! 

The Essentials Kit contains all the flavors covered at our Virtual Tastings.  3 x 2.5oz Amaze Bars, one each of Toffee Almond & Sea Salt, 70% Deliciously Dark, and 95% Wicked Dark, 1 x Almond Milk Chocolate Classic, 4 x 1.35oz Chocolate Discs, one each of Cinnamon, Vanilla, Guajillo, and Cacao Puro, 3 x 0.5oz samples of cacao nibs, 1oz sample of Bulk Chocolate 70% Couverture, 1oz sample of 100% Dark Baking Chocolate. 

The tasting kit is $42

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

This could be a cool (and consumable) gift for that hard-to-buy-for person who has everything, or anyone who is a serious foodie. It's a chocolate tasting experience with samples of different types of chocolates along with a guided tasting experience and tour of the chocolate-making facility via Zoom.

https://www.tazachocolate.com/collections/gifts-collections/products/virtual-tas

That sounds quite intriguing, Corraleno! My sister is a fan of Taza... hmmm....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

We just bought Covid Christmas ornaments for each of our kids (you can pick whether it says 2020 or 2021), and I love that it includes homeschooling:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/887952134/commemorative-2021-holiday-ornament-just

In addition to the Eject button, I also added a beach towel and a dragon scale zipper pouch (to hold first aid/emergency supplies) for the car kit.

Hitchhiker's Guide towel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFV835S

• Like 4