Menu

2021 edition ~ Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here...

Kareni

14 minutes ago, history-fan said:

That is really nice. It reminds me of Prairie-style architecture, and the Robie House in particular.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ikslo said:

https://www.danforthpewter.com/whirligig-ornament.html

I saw this an immediately thought of my great-grandmother.  We used to play with whirligigs at her house. Thinking of getting this for my sisters.

What a lovely idea! 

If you wish to do more on the same theme, I found this design which you can get on stationery, clothes, water bottles, and much more.

I also found this neat signet ring.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

4 hours ago, history-fan said:

My husband would love that! Now the question is whether or not to show it to him....

4 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

for the pedant in your life:

Half full

That looks great!

Regards,

The pedant (aka Kareni)

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 4:58 AM, whitestavern said:

Saw this recommendation on another forum and just purchased one for my ADHD tinkerer son. ...

https://www.amazon.com/Snowflake-Multitool-Boyfriend-Anniversary-Thanksgiving/dp/B09DBPJ395

That is neat! Thanks for sharing the link, @whitestavern.

Since this gadget incorporates a fidget aspect, I'll link some other fidget items I've seen ~

Spinner ring

This spinner ring has a turtle

Ring with many turtles

Elephant spinner ring

Honeybee spinner ring

A fidget bracelet

Fidget bangle

And a fidget slug!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

More jewelry from etsy. And I'm not even into jewelry. LOL

Custom cityscape rings. Soooo cool.

I don't wear jewelry either, but these are seriously enticing!

I see that one of the listed options is Seoul, South Korea, where my daughter lives...hmm....

I also see from the photos that customers have ordered Hogwarts rings.

Thanks for sharing, @Alte Veste Academy.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 2:01 PM, Kareni said:

Let me ponder.

Does the woman have someone with whom to play games?

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, and no. She plays Mahjong and various card games with a group of ladies all in their 80s and 90s many week days. Often they will also have an impromptu game afternoon also where they bring their own games to try something new in addition to their scheduled games.

This woman is a widow, and spends a lot of time by herself as well, and needs mental stimulation to be happy.  She plays a wide variety of board games, and can learn new ones. Her mental calculations are still very sharp (like, she will win at poker because she can mentally count cards), but her ability to read and follow directions that are complicated is starting to slip. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yes, and no. She plays Mahjong and various card games with a group of ladies all in their 80s and 90s many week days. Often they will also have an impromptu game afternoon also where they bring their own games to try something new in addition to their scheduled games.

This woman is a widow, and spends a lot of time by herself as well, and needs mental stimulation to be happy.  She plays a wide variety of board games, and can learn new ones. Her mental calculations are still very sharp (like, she will win at poker because she can mentally count cards), but her ability to read and follow directions that are complicated is starting to slip. 

Would she enjoy some jigsaw puzzles or a crossword puzzle book? My neighbor (diagnosed with Alzheimer’s) was told by her dr that puzzles are very good for cognitive function. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SET  and Bananagrams can be played solo. Another version that might be useful ~ Big Letter BANANAGRAMS

There are also Bananagrams puzzle books. Here is one.

When I played mah jongg (there are different versions), some of the other players talked about playing online.

Not what you asked for, but I've seen a series of mah jongg mystery books.

ETA: Here is the first in the series, Craks in a Marriage by Barbara Barrett. It's available in paper or free for Kindle readers.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More book themed gifts ~

I'd be delighted were someone to get this for me with my favorite books: Custom Book Cover Illustration Print

Similar but with book spines

Also in the same vein plus has mugs and totes.

Have a favorite quote? Then this.

Plus note cards in honor of the hive!

ETA: one more ~ Literary Insults Gift Poster

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2021 at 6:58 AM, whitestavern said:

Saw this recommendation on another forum and just purchased one for my ADHD tinkerer son. Not sure if he'll like the snowflake design, but with the 20% coupon it's only $11, so I'm not out much if he doesn't like it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Snowflake-Multitool-Boyfriend-Anniversary-Thanksgiving/dp/B09DBPJ395

Younger dd and I read Gail Carriger's Finishing School series as well as Parasol Protectorate, and that's right in line as a go-together gift. 

I'm peeved that it's advertised as "men, Dad, boyfriend, husband" friendly -- how limiting! Sophronia Angelina Temminnick would like a word with their advertising department.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, happi duck said:

Calendars aren't necessarily unique but I think this artwork is.  These images are by a modern iconographer who does some unique icons.

https://kellylatimoreicons.com/collections/wall-calendar/products/2022-wall-calendar

That is indeed unique art. I thought "is that Mr. Rogers?", and it is! Thanks for the link, happi duck.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1