Menu

2021 edition ~ Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here...

Kareni

On 11/11/2021 at 11:49 AM, GailV said:

Younger dd and I read Gail Carriger's Finishing School series as well as Parasol Protectorate, and that's right in line as a go-together gift. 

I'm peeved that it's advertised as "men, Dad, boyfriend, husband" friendly -- how limiting! Sophronia Angelina Temminnick would like a word with their advertising department.

Ack! I can't tell you how thrilled I am to encounter another Carriger devotee! 

I bought myself this necklace a couple of years ago. If you have a Finishing School fan who doesn't have it yet, definitely a worthwhile investment. I love mine.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I bought myself this necklace a couple of years ago. If you have a Finishing School fan who doesn't have it yet, definitely a worthwhile investment. I love mine.

That is charming, Jenny! Thanks for sharing.

The company definitely has other unique jewelry ~

ANATOMICAL INTESTINES NECKLACE

ANATOMICAL RIB CAGE RING (sterling is an affordable $89; if you'd like gold, $2000+!)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

On 11/20/2021 at 2:47 PM, Kareni said:

What wonderful designs, Moncha! Which one are you thinking for yourself?

While reading your post, I was expecting you to post something like

this

this

this

or this

Regards,

Kareni

Oh man. I love giraffes.

I was expecting this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/957734486/loom-knitting-patterns-eyeglasses-face?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=loom+knit+eyeglass+holder&ref=sr_gallery-1-5&organic_search_click=1

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Today's finds ~

Cereal killer spoon

Custom photo face shirt

Exotic jerky bouquet

Know any big fans of Uno? ... this

Regards,

Kareni

My friend's daughter and son in law did the photo shirts with her face on them for her birthday as a surprise.  It was SO funny.  They went out for the day to celebrate and went everywhere wearing those ridiculous shirts.  🙂

• Like 3

My family (me, dh, two kids in 20s) has really loved Journal 29 and its sequel!  It's a bunch of puzzles that you need to solve to move on.  There are hints online if you're really stuck.  Some are quick and some are challenging and really satisfying to solve.

We work together and either sit near enough to pass the book or some of us snap a photo of the page being worked on.

I think I originally bought it for myself but everyone wanted in on solving stuff!

https://journal29.com/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

22 minutes ago, happi duck said:

My family (me, dh, two kids in 20s) has really loved Journal 29 and its sequel!  It's a bunch of puzzles that you need to solve to move on.  There are hints online if you're really stuck.  Some are quick and some are challenging and really satisfying to solve.

We work together and either sit near enough to pass the book or some of us snap a photo of the page being worked on.

I think I originally bought it for myself but everyone wanted in on solving stuff!

Thanks! I just ordered another book by the same author that the dc and I can tackle when my parents visit. The reviews imply it is slightly easier than the Journal29 books, which is probably good for my anticipated crowd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, happi duck said:

My family (me, dh, two kids in 20s) has really loved Journal 29 and its sequel!

That sounds neat, @happi duck; thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

I just ordered another book by the same author that the dc and I can tackle when my parents visit

I'm guessing you are talking about this book ~ The Cypher Files: An Escape Room… in a Book! by Dimitris Chassapakis ~ which looks more my speed!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SusanC said:

Thanks! I just ordered another book by the same author that the dc and I can tackle when my parents visit. The reviews imply it is slightly easier than the Journal29 books, which is probably good for my anticipated crowd.

I think I have that one but haven't played it yet.  I bought that and the sequel for our "staycation".  It worked out well as a special thing to do at home!

I do recommend taking cell phone photos if needed.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, happi duck said:

wow! this looks amazing! I think I might buy it for all my kids! 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 4:09 PM, history-fan said:

For the dog/cat people that need a personalized book!

https://www.yappy.com/us/dogs/personalised-wheres-dog-name-book

I ordered one of these for my sister's family as they have recently added a puppy to their household. They received the book today and love it! My sister says it is very well-made and besides having their dog to look for, her name (the dog's) is placed everywhere in the pictures - graffiti in the skate park, on the boathouse, etc. 

Just thought I would give a little review of the book if anyone was on the fence about ordering it. 5 stars!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

What have you all done to my etsy account?!?!? I clicked on the vaginia ornaments posted here a while ago and when I went to etsy this morning all my recommendations were graphic sexual ornaments!!!! Did I need to see glass Rudolph and his friend making love this morning? Or penis tyrannosaurus rex figurines?  I am now frantically clicking on wholesome things so that when my kids use my etsy account they won't be shocked! LOL 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

This paper crafting book for kids is great! DD got it for her birthday last year. We were able to look at it in person before we bought it, which is always helpful. It is chock full of interesting crafting paper, pull out notepads, paper doll forms, paper folding instructions, mini postcards, gift tags, etc They apparently sell similar books for adults, but I'm not sure exactly HOW similar they are. I'll need to track one down in person. I think they are a spin off from a paper crafting magazine I had never heard of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, SusanC said:

That looks like great fun! I saw the book for adults once at my local Barnes and Noble; it looked lovely.

7 hours ago, NewIma said:

What have you all done to my etsy account?!?!? I clicked on the vaginia ornaments posted here a while ago and when I went to etsy this morning all my recommendations were graphic sexual ornaments!!!!

Oops! I wonder what else I can get you to click on....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

From a prior year's thread ~

On 11/23/2019 at 7:28 AM, Bambam said:

bacon t-shirt

Plunger Hat, Baby Beanie.

suspicious cat socks.

Dog desk lamp

And a new find ~

A crocheted pizza slice

Crocheted coffee cup sleeve

Don't click on this @NewImaWillie warmer

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/30/2021 at 6:33 PM, Kareni said:

I think it can be a bit hit or miss in the mail, so a second envelope has some merit. There is also fun to be had in using wax seals on messages that can be hand delivered such as party invitations, birthday cards, messages to friends, notes to Santa, ....

Regards,

Kareni

We recently did a Harry Potter birthday party and we printed acceptance letters which we put in envelopes and sealed with wax and a Hogwarts insignia. They were very popular and everyone kept theirs as a keepsake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

We recently did a Harry Potter birthday party and we printed acceptance letters which we put in envelopes and sealed with wax and a Hogwarts insignia. They were very popular and everyone kept theirs as a keepsake.

What a fun idea, @KidsHappen! (I'd have kept mine, too.) Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Kareni

On 11/5/2021 at 12:34 PM, ikslo said:

https://www.danforthpewter.com/whirligig-ornament.html

I saw this and immediately thought of my great-grandmother.  We used to play with whirligigs at her house. Thinking of getting this for my sisters.

They have some lovely things. Got the Nativity set for Dd and I will add another subset to it each year for the next several, until she has the whole set. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

On 10/29/2021 at 7:15 PM, Storygirl said:

@TechWife Since you (or your gift recipient) like traditional ice cream, like Breyers, but would like something more upscale than that, you might consider Graeters ice cream. It is very creamy and comes in traditional or specialty flavors. They are especially famous for their chocolate chip flavors, because the chocolate is in sheets and large chunks, not just typical chips. Their most popular flavor is black raspberry chocolate chip, which is delicious, and is DH's favorite. I personally go for the Buckeye Blitz when I get a scoop there, but every flavor I've tastetested has been yummy!

https://www.graeters.com/

Graeters is the best! With one 10-15 minutes away, I have learned how to say, "no, can't stop there every time you pass by."

• Like 2

Been seduced by this whole website after their ads popped up -- science/math themed gifts (I'm personally eyeing the journals for one of my boys) but lots of fun stuff for the science/math folks. Journals, planners, kitchen items, totes, t-shirts, etc. 

https://cognitive-surplus.com/collections/the-analysis

ETA: including the link to the wax seals/stamps, as I know those have come up in this thread -- some really fun options here! 

https://cognitive-surplus.com/collections/wax-seals

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TheReader said:

...including the link to the wax seals/stamps, as I know those have come up in this thread -- some really fun options here! 

https://cognitive-surplus.com/collections/wax-seals

That is indeed a store of many temptations, @TheReader! Having degrees in Chemistry, I'd have loved this wax seal back in the day.

I'm fairly certain that someone posted some of their beautiful tea towels last year. Here are a few ~

Skeleton

Gems and minerals

Here, just look at them all!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

That is indeed a store of many temptations, @TheReader! Having degrees in Chemistry, I'd have loved this wax seal back in the day.

I'm fairly certain that someone posted some of their beautiful tea towels last year. Here are a few ~

Skeleton

Gems and minerals

Here, just look at them all!

Regards,

Kareni

I LOVE those tea towels! I can't quite justify the price, but I'm going to work on that. We all need challenges. They would rotate out will with this hand towel I received last year from a dear friend who knows me well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2021 at 9:45 AM, NewIma said:

What have you all done to my etsy account?!?!? I clicked on the vaginia ornaments posted here a while ago and when I went to etsy this morning all my recommendations were graphic sexual ornaments!!!! Did I need to see glass Rudolph and his friend making love this morning? Or penis tyrannosaurus rex figurines?  I am now frantically clicking on wholesome things so that when my kids use my etsy account they won't be shocked! LOL 

Oh NO!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SusanC said:

That reminded me of the now defunct website "Regretsy". Here is a Good Housekeeping article with some highlights, though.

Regretsy is such a clever name, and I quite enjoyed the article. Thanks for posting it, SusanC.

3 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

I just have to send a big thank you to Kareni for doing these threads every year. I bought TWO  (three if you count the tshirt I posted) things for dd off the list this year! Wherever would this Santa be without the Unique Gifts thread? 😂

Thanks for the kind words, I talk to the trees; I do enjoy this thread. It does take time and effort though, so I enjoy hearing when someone finds it helpful.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1