Menu

Homemade noodles on mashed potatoes

saraha

Homemade noodles on mashed potatoes  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Homemade noodles on mashed potatoes?

• Whaaaat? Why would anyone do that?
    • Sure do!
  2. 2. If yes, where are you from?

3. 3. If no, where are you from?

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

My MIL will serve mashed potatoes and potato chips together for dinner. 

Oh my.

25 minutes ago, MooCow said:

Pretty sure my family would pass out and nap for a long time....but they'd probably love it! Any recipes recommended?

Cook down a whole chicken in your favorite stock/bouillon, shred. Cook homemade noodles in the broth. Add back in the chicken.

Whip the potatoes with a mixer while hot, adding milk and leaving them on till they're FLUFFY.

If you're not in the mood to make your noodles, the ones I linked or something similar that says homemade will be fine. They can be ½" wide or much narrower, whatever you like. Don't overcook the noodles .

13 minutes ago, SKL said:

No offense but that does not sound appetizing at all. 

It probably has something to do with the msg in the bouillon honestly. My grandma would buy this kind in tubs, really bright yellow. If the noodles didn't have enough color, she'd add turmeric. I try to go no msg, so I'm forever doing workarounds to develop flavor (braising the chicken, etc.). As long as you double down on the chicken (some kind of good chicken broth or bouillon on top of the flavor of the chicken anatomy you stewed) it will be fine.

I assume you could cook it down in an instant pot. Doubtless that's what the amish restaurants are doing, because they're known for their crazy tender meats. So you'd cook the chicken down in the instant pot, shred, then either cook the noodles gently with just the simmer button on the IP or pour the broth into a pretty pot for cooking the noodles and serving.

• Thanks 2

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So then your holiday tip is to make the stock/chicken ahead, shred the meat into a bag, and leave the broth in the cooking pot to get the layer of fat on top. That will let it keep several days (technically up to a week?) in your frig. So you make all that ahead and either make or buy your noodles. When I make noodles, I'll do a big batch and freeze in bags for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then the day of the holiday/event you just pop your broth on the stove, heat, and throw in your noodles, easy peasy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dsmith said:

I'm curious - these noodles, are they like those thick chickeny gravy covered noodles that certain regions call dumplings? I could see liking something like that. There's not much I wouldn't like on mashed potatoes. 😁

My grandma's noodles started to turn thick like that as she aged, but no they shouldn't be quite that thick. Thinner. I run mine through a pasta machine, hehe. That's not traditional, and sure I used to roll and cut them. But now I'm lazy and I just run the dough through my hand crank pasta machine. I like both the narrowest setting and the wider (like linguini?). Both work fine. What number? Oh mercy, I forget. Not stupid thin and not crazy thick. Something in the middle. I'm probably taking them down 4 times. So you start with it at the thickest and roll through till it's happy, then take it down a notch. Do that 3-4 times and they'll be happy.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

Homemade Noodles

3 eggs + 3 Tablespoons water

½ tsp salt

3 cups flour

Use well method to make dough, kneading till smooth. Let sit 20 minutes. Roll thin on floured surface and cut. Fluff with more flour and leave to dry. Makes 9 cups dry noodles.

Chicken Broth for Noodles

1 cut up chicken, fat included

2 quarts water

chicken flavored soup base (Grandma says LB Jamison or Knorr's)

Cook chicken, remove/shred. Cool broth and skim fat before using.

Told you it wasn't hard. 🙂 Main thing is nail the mashed potatoes. Whip those babies in your stand mixer till they're pillowy and fluffy. I'm seeing other recipes as I google, with some saying to use just the yolks or add milk. They're probably all fine. This is how my grandma did them, so it's what I do. 

https://www.thespruceeats.com/homemade-egg-noodles-2215807  Here, the steps and pictures are right. Her noodles are just more yellow because she's using more egg. Honestly, the noodles I see at events are *not* that yellow, so that's her twist, her thing. I can see how it's a nice nutritional thing, but it would also get $$$ for large batches. Remember, my grandma would have been making a bigger batch, at least double this, for a family event. So no way she's using 2 eggs for every cup flour, kwim? 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, calbear said:

What happened to West Coast? 😆Cali folks definitely don't think of ourselves as SW.

There are several states I think don't consider themselves NE or SE either.

I think we could easily make another kerfluffle about US regions if we wanted to go that way.

I never know what region to put PA in. Sometimes NE, sometimes mid-Atlantic (but not coastal). It's like five states in one (but they all claim each other as fellow citizens of PA) if you travel or someone opens their mouth, lol! 

• Like 1

Just now, kbutton said:

I think we could easily make another kerfluffle about US regions if we wanted to go that way.

I never know what region to put PA in. Sometimes NE, sometimes mid-Atlantic (but not coastal). It's like five states in one (but they all claim each other as fellow citizens of PA) if you travel or someone opens their mouth, lol! 

Same with Ohio - esp. NE Ohio where I live.  It's not the NE but it's not really midwest either.  

See, now that would be heresy. If for some reason (like you are a blind double amputee) you can’t make your own homemade noodles, the only god-approved substitute is Reames frozen noodles. 😉 One never uses dry noodles reconstituted for chicken and noodles.

I am rebellious for using a pizza wheel to cut my noodles. My grandmother was serious enough about bread and noodle making that she had a special lowered wooden counter in her kitchen to do so. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My grandmother was serious enough about bread and noodle making that she had a special lowered wooden counter in her kitchen to do so. 

Nice! My grandma had this massive cutting board. They gave me her rolling pin when she passed, so I guess the torch was passed. 

I've never used Reames, hmm. They look a little thick on the package. Do you like them? They could save me some hassle with the holidays coming. I got wiped out trying to go to stores this weekend for just one or two items. Probably not making noodles this year, not at this rate. The dry ones are tolerable, not exceptional. 

6 hours ago, Ailaena said:

Never seen anything quite like this but aren’t pierogis just potatoes and pasta?

I like potatoes and I like pasta but I don’t like pierogis so I’m not sure I would like mashed potatoes and pasta together.

Well, pierogis can be basically potatoes and pasta. And, in fact, those are my sister's favorite. But, she is wrong, Wrong, wrong, wrong. The best pierogis have cheese or meat in them. 

As for the OP, no, I've never heard of this. I am a Midwest person. I live in an area with a large Amish population and still haven't heard of it. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

See, now that would be heresy. If for some reason (like you are a blind double amputee) you can’t make your own homemade noodles, the only god-approved substitute is Reames frozen noodles. 😉 One never uses dry noodles reconstituted for chicken and noodles.

I am rebellious for using a pizza wheel to cut my noodles. My grandmother was serious enough about bread and noodle making that she had a special lowered wooden counter in her kitchen to do so. 

My girls and I use a pizza wheel too!

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Nice! My grandma had this massive cutting board. They gave me her rolling pin when she passed, so I guess the torch was passed. 

I've never used Reames, hmm. They look a little thick on the package. Do you like them? They could save me some hassle with the holidays coming. I got wiped out trying to go to stores this weekend for just one or two items. Probably not making noodles this year, not at this rate. The dry ones are tolerable, not exceptional. 

My mom uses them now that she’s older not the saaaammmmeee but better than those dry Miller ones for sure

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Well, pierogis can be basically potatoes and pasta. And, in fact, those are my sister's favorite. But, she is wrong, Wrong, wrong, wrong. The best pierogis have cheese or meat in them. 

As for the OP, no, I've never heard of this. I am a Midwest person. I live in an area with a large Amish population and still haven't heard of it. 

Now see, dh and I live in the county he grew up on with a big Amish population and the in-laws were all looking at me like I was nuts, although one niece now wants me to make them so she can try it at thanksgiving! I grew up two counties north (no Amish) and my whole family ate them this way

They are a little thicker compared to what I normally roll out, but the taste profile is nice, and the texture when you bite into them is good. 

I actually make an instant pot slightly healthier version of chicken and noodles where I cut an onion I cook in a t. of butter, add 1-2 t. of poultry seasoning, Sage, or whatever I like spice wise that day, then add a couple of cups of cooked and shredded chicken thighs, 4 c. no salt chicken broth, a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, and a 15(?) oz bag of Reames noodles when I am wanting comfort food. I cook it on the soup setting for 7 minutes, natural release. 

It’s not the same thing I grew up with, though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I actually make an instant pot slightly healthier version of chicken and noodles where I cut an onion I cook in a t. of butter, add 1-2 t. of poultry seasoning, Sage, or whatever I like spice wise that day, then add a couple of cups of cooked and shredded chicken thighs, 4 c. no salt chicken broth, a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, and a 15(?) oz bag of Reames noodles when I am wanting comfort food. I cook it on the soup setting for 7 minutes, natural release. 

Ooo, so does this come out a *soup* consistency at that point or more like a casserole? I could do that every day with wild rice, hehe. 

My adult middle son has been a vegetarian since he was a young boy. The family lovingly refers to him as a "junkatarain" because really his diet consists of carbs. Well, carbs and sugar. Him having a dinner of plain noodles with butter with mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese would be a norm for him. For the rest of us, um...just no. No. No. No. LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My adult middle son has been a vegetarian since he was a young boy. The family lovingly refers to him as a "junkatarain" because really his diet consists of carbs. Well, carbs and sugar. Him having a dinner of plain noodles with butter with mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese would be a norm for him. For the rest of us, um...just no. No. No. No. LOL

I’m sure he’s glad you leave him to it 😆!

• Like 1

OMG, drooooollllling....

I LOVE noodles on mashed potatoes.  Mom made it with chicken and with beef - with more of a gravy than a broth in both cases.  OMG, so good.

The only time I make noodles now is for turkey noodle soup after Thanksgiving.  IMO, they are very, very different in texture/bite from any commercial dried noodle.

Mom was born in Chicago, 1st gen from German immigrants.  Dad was rural IL.  Both sides were crazy about the combo!

Our noodles - like PeterPan's recipe, but just eggs & flour.  The flour on the noodles is usually enough to thicken the broth a bit, but one can sneak in a little extra slurry if needed.

Our mashed potatoes - mashed with a masher, never ever whipped!  Taters, butter, a splash of milk.  Period.  Salt & pepper added at the table.

I'd give anything to have Mom's noodles taters & gravy again.  😢

• Like 3

I've been served this in the midwest, but I had never seen it before then.  My sister in laws are midwestern (dh's family returned to the southeast when he was 9, so he is southern, as are my inlaws).  It makes for an interesting mix at holidays!

Also, when I was served this, the "noodles" are what we call dumplings, and we eat with chicken and dumplings.  Like same exact thing, but theirs are cut narrower.  But otherwise, the same.

Edited by BetsyT

3 minutes ago, saraha said:

Noodles vs dumplings are a whole nother thing! When we lived in PA for a little while someone served us dumplings, which we thought were like wide noodles. Our dumplings are big fluffy blobs of dough…

Yeah, I have seen those, but I've never had them.  We eat what eastern North Carolina calls "slicks" or pastry.  It is the recipe that PeterPan had upthread.  We just call it dumplings.  

For chicken and noodle soup, we eat the Mueller's noodles from the grocery store.

8 minutes ago, saraha said:

Noodles vs dumplings are a whole nother thing! When we lived in PA for a little while someone served us dumplings, which we thought were like wide noodles. Our dumplings are big fluffy blobs of dough…

Yes! Dumplings here look like this: almost a biscuit dough, but steamed in broth. I don't use this recipe, but it's the right appearance. Not flat, like noodles. The noodley ones sound good, too, though.

• Like 2

Ooo, so does this come out a *soup* consistency at that point or more like a casserole? I could do that every day with wild rice, hehe. 

soup consistency bordering on stew—the noodles pick up a bit of the 4 c. of broth, but not much. The frozen veg release a tiny bit of liquid so it balances out. 

58 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Yes! Dumplings here look like this: almost a biscuit dough, but steamed in broth. I don't use this recipe, but it's the right appearance. Not flat, like noodles. The noodley ones sound good, too, though.

Exactly. My in laws recognize these as dumplings 😆

This was not a thing in my FOO, (Mid-Atlantic), but my husband’s family (MIL from MO) traditionally always had noodles with gravy, which may or may not be upon mashed potatoes. A few years ago, in pre-pandemic times, dd picked up the baton and started making the noodles for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s one of our favorite things and I can’t imagine holiday meals without. 

7 minutes ago, saraha said:

Where is here approximately?

Southeast/Mid-Atlantic. But I can't claim to know anything local about dumplings, despite living here all my life; family members never made any sort of dumplings at all. I learned from Joy of Cooking.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 1

East Coast & never heard of it. But I have personally eaten mac and cheese or broccoli and cheese on top of mashed potatoes at a buffet restaurant, because I could then.

I have had chicken soup with pasta in it, and baked or roasted chicken with assorted forms of potatoes on the side, but not what you're describing.

For those of you asking for a recipe, this is what dd uses, with the Kitchenaid past sheet attachment on my mixer. Also, this is then cooked in a seriously huge pot with a seriously huge whisk; make a roux and slowly add in ~ 4 quarts of Turkey broth. You can use chicken but Turkey is more accurate for the traditional flavors. If you can add juices directly from a cooked Turkey, so much the better. 

07564CCF-C425-4192-BC91-D74777E32E55.jpeg

3 hours ago, Quill said:

For those of you asking for a recipe, this is what dd uses, with the Kitchenaid past sheet attachment on my mixer. Also, this is then cooked in a seriously huge pot with a seriously huge whisk; make a roux and slowly add in ~ 4 quarts of Turkey broth. You can use chicken but Turkey is more accurate for the traditional flavors. If you can add juices directly from a cooked Turkey, so much the better. 

07564CCF-C425-4192-BC91-D74777E32E55.jpeg

That’s super close to my recipe, except I roll out with a rolling pin and mine are quite toothy

• Like 1

Yes, and it is delicious. The big discussion in my house is do you put the noodles beside the potatoes (clearly wrong) or do you make the potatoes into a nest and fill it with mashed potatoes, as God intended? 

eta: I live in Texas, grew up here, and mom made this when I was growing up. But my dad is from Ohio and it could be a recipe from his side of the family. DH and family are purely from Texas, and he likes noodles and potatoes, but as previously mentioned, thinks it’s an abomination to make a potato-noodle nest out of them.

Edited by Emba
  • Like 1

My aunt would make these awesome chicken and homemade noodles.... we call them "Donna noodles" - because she is Donna. The noodle and sauce sounds similar. We didn't serve them over mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes have their own gravy. 

But I would eat that. 

Grew up in Missouri. Live in Colorado. 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I've always found chips (French Fries) with a burger to be a weird carbs plus carbs idea.  But that's considered normal.  Garlic bread with pasta is really common here too.  Or is it just one physically on top of the other that might be weird?

Growing up it was very common to have multiple carbs at meals. In addition to the ones you mention, bread or rolls in addition to potatoes was especially common. I think it comes from a time when many more people had physically active lives and jobs, such as working on a farm all day. My husband’s grandparents owned a farm and they had breakfast, morning coffee time (with sweets), lunch, afternoon coffee time (with sweets), and dinner. My husband said bread was served at every meal and breakfast included eggs, meat, cereal, and bread or toast. Lunch and dinner always had some sort of potatoes in addition to bread. They were all fit and slim and his grandparents lived well into their nineties.

Whenever people post menu threads on these boards, I always wonder about the multiple carb ones. I always assume they must be super active people with high metabolisms or have growing teens. Holidays are about the only time I can think of where we have more than one carb with a meal. Now if we want garlic bread it’s served with something like a chicken Caesar salad, not pasta. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Frances said:

Whenever people post menu threads on these boards, I always wonder about the multiple carb ones. I always assume they must be super active people with high metabolisms or have growing teens.

Or, like me, they eat small amounts of each carb. When I make Indian food, we like rice and naan. We eat a small amount of each. If we have pasta with marinara or other red sauce, then we will want garlic bread because they go so well together. So, small portions of each. 🙂

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2