Menu

How long does it take to get dog hair out of carpet?

Bootsie

We have two bedrooms with carpet.  DS had a dog which has not been in the house in months.  In fact, the dog has not been on the property since DS moved out in July. The carpets have been thoroughly vacuumed multiple times and cleaned since DS moved out.  We have two robot vacuums; at the beginning of September I put one in each of these bedrooms (which are less than 10 by 10 each) thinking I would give the rooms one last clean before we moved furniture in them.  I was surprised how much the robots picked up.  Then I ran them again, and again, and again every day for a month now.  They run into the battery needs charging, go to the charging station and I turn them back on once they are charged.  So, they have run three times per day for many of the days over the past month.  And they are still getting significant amounts up each time!  I think we are going to find that about 50% of the matter we thought was carpet was really dog hair.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

It's there forever.  I'm sorry.  ☹️ 😆

^^ My brother's family occasionally watches their in-laws black lab and he said they will find black hairs months and months later, and they have mostly tile/hardwood surfaces. I am afraid Wildflower Mom is probably correct with carpet. 😃

3 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

It's why I like my current dogs. They keep their hair to themselves. They shed less than I do, and I don't shed much. 😉 

Yes.  We went with a no/low-shed dog, and I'm so glad we did.  When I do find dog hair, I'm genuinely surprised.  Our cats were gone for at least a year before we stopped finding hair.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

My big dogs died years ago. We had their hair until we tore out the carpets.

My last cat died more recently. There’s still cat hair in my carpeted bedroom closets, where he frequently slept. (Slider doors, never any keeping him out!

I am really wondering what all is in the carpet in addtition to the dog hair I can see the vacumm is getting up  😞   At this point I have a trashbag full of what the vacuums have picked up.  The ratio of gunk to carpet fiber on our floors must have been very high!

When we bought our older home in a historic district over twenty years ago, many of the rooms had orange shag carpet over the original wood floors. The previous owners also had a very large dog. When we took up the carpet to refinish the wood floors, all of the dog hair had formed a surprisingly thick layer, almost like a pad, underneath the carpet. The sheer amount of hair was astonishing, and that’s not even counting the dog hair actually in the carpet. After dealing with carpet in apartments before we bought our house and due to allergies/asthma, we were determined to not have any carpet in our house.

• Like 1

Carpet is gross. The End. 

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

I am really wondering what all is in the carpet in addition to the dog hair I can see the vacumm is getting up  😞

Best not to ask.

We got a steam cleaner when we were at our old house and couldn't pull the carpeting up yet. The water that came out was like coffee with barely any cream or really dark chocolate milk. Every time. It got slightly better over a few years but not much. So, so gross. 

I got the carpet cleaner after we'd had them professionally cleaned. 

2 hours ago, Frances said:

When we bought our older home in a historic district over twenty years ago, many of the rooms had orange shag carpet over the original wood floors. The previous owners also had a very large dog. When we took up the carpet to refinish the wood floors, all of the dog hair had formed a surprisingly thick layer, almost like a pad, underneath the carpet. The sheer amount of hair was astonishing, and that’s not even counting the dog hair actually in the carpet. After dealing with carpet in apartments before we bought our house and due to allergies/asthma, we were determined to not have any carpet in our house.

Yes. I've now torn carpet up in three houses, and underneath it is always disgusting. Carpet is gross, imo.

• Like 1

I recently spent some time at my sister's house. She has two large short haired dogs inside. There was so much dog hair everywhere. In the refrigerator. In the lint trap on the dryer. In the crack of the sliding glass door. Everywhere. We do not have dogs, and I was so surprised. She has some carpet, but she wants to remove it and replace with hard flooring. Makes sense, but I think she still will be vacuuming or sweeping every day, maybe multiple times a day. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EFDOOA/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_plhdr=t&aaxitk=bab6d5869baceae4d951c34d7cde33c9&hsa_cr_id=3324218130701&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_scm_asin_0_title&pd_rd_w=E0zGP&pf_rd_p=22aaccd3-32f1-4e8a-8b82-495782857be5&pd_rd_wg=XCzqG&pf_rd_r=WMFYS92CN0T59J6MR0DR&pd_rd_r=f5aada7f-9a9d-4c8b-9ce1-39c5fd1c00de

I have the handheld version of this and it’s amazing how much hair I can still scrape up *after* vacuuming. Basically you use it to scrape up piles of hair that is still woven into the fabric fibers, THEN use your vacuum to vacuum them up. It works well on furniture and carpet both. 

• Like 1

I've never had a pet in the house, I'm just not dealing with the extra mess.  You will never get all the dog hair out of the carpet- I'd start a fund to replace that rooms flooring and let your kids know no more dogs in the house.  

My parents remodeled houses all the time when I was a kid- the pet ones were often so gross when you pulled up the carpet- it goes all the way through.  Pee is even worse- it can ruin the subfloor, disintegrate the carpet fiber and pad!  If you are going to have s pet, laminate snd tile are probably the easiest to clean- buy extra laminate to replace damaged pieces.  

22 hours ago, Myra said:

Not only does dog hair always turn up so does pine needles from my Christmas tree - no matter how much I vaccuum!

These are the worst!  We get them year round as our yard houses several large pine trees.  They prefer to hang out in the carpet on the stairs, sticking straight up.  At least once a year, I have one puncture the bottom of my foot.  Pure evil.  I'll take the cat hair in the fridge over those needles!

• Like 1

The dog hair will be in your house forever even if you remove the carpet and it will follow you I'd you try to move. We had rat terriers as a child and we always had white dog hair on things. Those dogs died 25 years ago and I've lived in 3 different places since leaving home and I can still find some of their hair in my belongings. At this point I just smile when I do find it because I know exactly who caused it and now it reminds me of my childhood.