Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Controversial meme.  Edmund was living in WW2 England where sweets weren’t really available.  

IMG_4018.jpeg

Idk, I think it wasn’t just a sugar rush. Didn’t they have a spell on them to make him want to eat them forever? It’s part of the reason super conservative Christians don’t want their kids to read the series. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Katy said:

Idk, I think it wasn’t just a sugar rush. Didn’t they have a spell on them to make him want to eat them forever? It’s part of the reason super conservative Christians don’t want their kids to read the series. 

Wow, I had never heard of that. The books are so Christian it smacks you in the face...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Controversial meme.  Edmund was living in WW2 England where sweets weren’t really available.  

IMG_4018.jpeg

I thought the same thing the first time I tried Turkish delight in America. But then I visited Istanbul and got to try freshly made Turkish delight, and it was ridiculously delicious. Amazing. And in so many flavors. I have never been able to find anything like it in the US.

• Like 2

Turkish delight in Turkey is fantastic!

I was there on a cruise ship, and one shop right in the port was giving away tons of free samples, both of the boxed kind and of their fresh-made stuff. They pressed you, like street salespeople do, to take some of each, really!

It turns out they were just doing that so that you would realize that the boxed stuff sold as souvenirs was very poor, and you really didn't want any of that to take back on the ship. What you really wanted was boxes and boxes of the fresh stuff! I didn't see them sell a single pre-packaged box the whole time we were in the area. They literally stocked boxes of the stuff, just to give it away as free samples, so that people would buy what they were actually trying to sell. Incredibly savyv!

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, rbk mama said:

I thought the same thing the first time I tried Turkish delight in America. But then I visited Istanbul and got to try freshly made Turkish delight, and it was ridiculously delicious. Amazing. And in so many flavors. I have never been able to find anything like it in the US.

Go to Cashmere WA, to the aplets and cotlets factory store.  Among their flavors you'll never see elsewhere, is rose. (A traditional flavor).  There is definitely a difference between fresh, and it's been on the shelf too long.
Though the family sold it last year, someone bought it to keep it alive.  (they were going to shut it down)
We were once there about the time kids get out of school - it was amazing how many stopped by for their daily piece of candy.  I bought too much . . . . 

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

Wow, I had never heard of that. The books are so Christian it smacks you in the face...

Literally had an argument with a Pastor's wife once about CS Lewis & JR Tolkien and whether people who used imagery like that COULD BE Christian.  Apparently all witchcraft is real, is never imaginary, and is designed to trick Children into following Satan. Also, she didn't trust educated people.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Literally had an argument with a Pastor's wife once about CS Lewis & JR Tolkien and whether people who used imagery like that COULD BE Christian.  Apparently all witchcraft is real, is never imaginary, and is designed to trick Children into following Satan. Also, she didn't trust educated people.

I have unfortunately known a few who are like this as well. I am a Christian, and it grieves me to see. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

IMG_4025.jpeg

My favorite rhyming version sourced from First Language Lessons.

30 days hath September

April June and November

All the rest have thirty one

Except February alone

Which has 28 so fine

'Til leap year brings it 29.

Edited by Dianthus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

I thought most parents had something like this?  It certainly comes in handy!

I hadn't thought about it until we had to institute something similar.  DS sent a text one day that said, "Can I go with so-n-so to do xyz?  Please say no."

😄

A code made it so much easier for future situations.

6 hours ago, Dianthus said:

My favorite rhyming version sourced from First Language Lessons.

30 days hath September

April June and November

All the rest have thirty one

Except February alone

Which has 28 so fine

'Til leap year brings it 29.

I learned:

30 days hath September, April, June, and November,

When short February's done, all the rest have 31.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rbk mama said:

In a Sayers novel from before the war, one of the characters in London is avid for proper Turkish Delight, so it must have been available pre-war.

Screenshot_20231004_131948.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

In a Sayers novel from before the war, one of the characters in London is avid for proper Turkish Delight, so it must have been available pre-war.

Screenshot_20231004_131948.jpg

This must be why I prefer Poirot 😂 wouldn’t catch him drinking unsweetened coffee 

One of my kids went through a phase of making Turkish delight, I love it both the chocolate coated version and the authentic stuff from the markets here 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

image.thumb.png.9798648f634decac1f324e0662aee7c3.png

Sepia would be decent. I call our light the cheese light. It looks like everything is covered in a can of spray cheese.

And then there are smart lightbulbs where you can adjust the color from your phone . . . . 
The things I get exposed to because I have nerdy children . . . 
Why didn't you tell me about these things BEFORE you changed out all my light switches?????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I learned:

30 days hath September, April, June, and November,

When short February's done, all the rest have 31.

my version is

30 days has September

April, June, and November.

All the rest have 31

Except for February clear

With 28, and 29 Each Leap Year.

Which rhymes if you get the rhythm right.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bookbard said:

my version is

30 days has September

All the rest have 31

Except for February clear

With 28, and 29 Each Leap Year.

Which rhymes if you get the rhythm right.

my version is

30 days hath September

All the rest have 31

'Cept February which has 28

And Leap Year brings another date

Which has a clear AABCC rhyming pattern

• Like 2