Menu

Look what showed up here this morning (stray)

fairfarmhand

When you live in the country odd things happen. This year we’ve had a miniature horse, a pigeon, and now a Jersey heifer show up in our yard randomly. No idea where this one came from. Hopefully the owner will see her as he drives by and come to pick her up.

7747928C-44D4-4040-8B77-B35C2FC47308.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Haha 1

We had a mule show up in our yard years ago (that was a different house than now). I looked out the kitchen window and there he stood under a tree. We tied him up with a coated cable dog tie out until we tracked down the owner.

We're really much more suburban than rural here, but on the local FB page it seems there's at least one post a day about goats, cows or horses on the loose. Lots of found pigs.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

So pretty!  (The cow and the land!)

The last few years we've tried a new fertilizer/soil amendment and that stuff flat out grows grass, improves the soil biome, and is environmentally friendly. It's wonderful. (and cheaper than conventional petro fertilizers)

• Like 12

53 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Has no one come looking for her yet? She's a beauty, for sure. I'd have a hard time handing her back.

Not yet. I bet by 3-4 o’clock someone will get home from work and come looking. She’s in the field near the road so I’m not trying to hide her! She is lovely but I don’t know if my heart can handle loving another Jersey cow.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

The last few years we've tried a new fertilizer/soil amendment and that stuff flat out grows grass, improves the soil biome, and is environmentally friendly. It's wonderful. (and cheaper than conventional petro fertilizers)

I'm curious about what's used in the new fertilizer/soil amendment you are using.

Nice to have something that's less expensive, environmentally friendly, and effective.

Bill

• Like 1

Just now, Spy Car said:

I'm curious about what's used in the new fertilizer/soil amendment you are using.

Nice to have something that's less expensive, environmentally friendly, and effective.

Bill

It’s called Music City Gold.

comes from the sewage processing plant in Nashville. No it’s NOT sludge. Sewage is digested by microbes and the microbes multiply in the digesters. They skim off the excess microbes, put them through a 1000 degree dryer to kill off bad things and Pelletize it. 

it’s amazing stuff. 

https://www.tycowallc.com

as the microbes digest the sewage, they give off methane which is used to power the rest of the plant. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Not yet. I bet by 3-4 o’clock someone will get home from work and come looking. She’s in the field near the road so I’m not trying to hide her! She is lovely but I don’t know if my heart can handle loving another Jersey cow.

For now, let's call her Dolly, and let's hope she didn't go through Rachel Lynde's cabbage patch on her way to your place!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

comes from the sewage processing plant in Nashville. No it’s NOT sludge. Sewage is digested by microbes and the microbes multiply in the digesters. They skim off the excess microbes, put them through a 1000 degree dryer to kill off bad things and Pelletize it. 

it’s amazing stuff. 

as the microbes digest the sewage, they give off methane which is used to power the rest of the plant. 

Is that similar to Milorganite? 

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

13 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Is that similar to Milorganite? 

Bill

Wow, thanks for mentioning Milorganite.  I'm over here thinking, "Hmm, kiddo is on a fun road trip to Nashville with friends; I wonder if they could fit a couple of bags in on the way home?" because that's exactly what college kids want to do in between bar hopping -- go source sewage-based fertilizer.

But I can get Milorganite curbside at my local hardware store.  So much simpler!

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

8 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

If this happened to me, I'd be so excited. She'd be all moved into her new bedroom by now. Ha!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Well, color me surprised, nobody has shown up looking for her yet.

Hmmm....

I will not fall in love with the lovely Jersey cow.

I will not fall in love with the lovely Jersey cow.......

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

9 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

it’s amazing stuff. 

Just a silly side note! My city-raised, urban-neighborhood-dweller daughter, loves to talk about farming practices and soil regeneration. LOL We had a small veggie garden, but didn't even have pets when she was growing up. She is very, very far from being a farm girl.  Her college major is conservation biology and her primary interest is soil. I raised the kids in a cityfied, mid-range, eco-friendly way. She loves to read and learn about different ways to alter, enrich and nourish the soil biome...just for the fun of it. Haha! She just wrote a huge paper about soil regeneration, so the link you gave....is being forwarded off to her. 

• Like 6

Just now, Tap said:

Just a silly side note! My city-raised, urban-neighborhood-dweller daughter, loves to talk about farming practices and soil regeneration. LOL We had a small veggie garden, but didn't even have pets when she was growing up. She is very, very far from being a farm girl.  Her college major is conservation biology and her primary interest is soil. I raised the kids in a cityfied, mid-range, eco-friendly way. She loves to read and learn about different ways to alter, enrich and nourish the soil biome...just for the fun of it. Haha! She just wrote a huge paper about soil regeneration, so the link you gave....is being forwarded off to her. 

It is such an incredible process. Previously, the city was having to pay millions to landfill the sludge. They invested in this facility to make it into biopellets, and they've got 100% beneficial reuse. No more landfilling of crap. And it's benefiting the farmers of the surrounding counties. 100% safe.

We use it on the farm and me and the kids have dug our hands into the piles before they get spread. Totally safe. They've tested for trace meds (you'd have to eat tons and tons of pellets to get the equivalent of a tylenol) and because of industrial pretreatment, there are no heavy metals or other industrial contaminants.

We have neighboring farmers drive by and ask what we've been doing to our fields because they look that good. I'm a huge fan. 

• Like 13

We have neighboring farmers drive by and ask what we've been doing to our fields because they look that good.  

Not to mention cows looking for greener pastures!  (I couldn't resist.)  

You're so lucky to live in such a beautiful place!  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

y’all....

she’ll eat grain out of my bucket and let me pet her....

I will not fall in love with the lovely Jersey cow.....

You’re in love with a Jersey girl...

but I don’t think THAT Jersey girl was who Springsteen was singing about!

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Have her humans still not come over to fetch her?

Is she... microchipped?

Her humans have not come to fetch her! I’m very surprised. I have no idea where she came from. We’re the only farm for miles with cattle. I don’t think they chip cows. Not like dogs and cats though. 

some cattle can have chipped ear tags, but this one only has the brucellosis tag.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

some cattle can have chipped ear tags, but this one only has the brucellosis tag.

Is that something farmers do themselves, or would a vet have had to do that?  Is there any info on the tag?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

You'd think they would microchip cattle. They must be more valuable than cats and dogs, generally.

Google suggests that people do microchip cattle, though it may not be standard in the US - I only did a very light search.

Yeah, generally not in our area. More common Places where there’s more cattle thieving. And more likely for prized full blooded registered animals that can be worth many thousands of dollars.

it’s coming though for all cattle especially for feed lot animals so that they can trace quality animals or disease.

• Like 1

Her humans have not come to fetch her! I’m very surprised. I have no idea where she came from. We’re the only farm for miles with cattle. I don’t think they chip cows. Not like dogs and cats though. 

Well, you know, sometimes people abandon unwanted dogs and cats near farms... maybe somebody shoved their cow into the back of the Buick and dropped her off at your place.  😉 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Jersey cows always make me think of Elsie the Borden Dairy mascot.

I hate to think about this, but is it possible that someone dumped her? That seems unlikely to me, but . . people do crazy stuff. A cow is expensive, but so are lots of purebred dogs that get dumped all the time.

I just posted, joking about that, and then I saw we were posting at the same time! 😁

• Like 1

Perhaps calling around to the large animal vets in your area with the Brucellosis tag number would locate her owners.  Memory is fuzzy but I believe the tags were recorded by vet when done and that paper was sent into the state. 

It's a bit unusual for one lonely bovine to be loose, as they are a herd animal.  I'm guessing the owner is looking but she may have wandered farther away than they expect. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Jersey cows always make me think of Elsie the Borden Dairy mascot.

I hate to think about this, but is it possible that someone dumped her? That seems unlikely to me, but . . people do crazy stuff. A cow is expensive, but so are lots of purebred dogs that get dumped all the time.

Man...that would be so unlikely. I think you could put this cow on Craigslist for $500 and be drowned in calls. I’d bet she’d go for $1000. She looks that good. Beautiful udder great body condition. Perfect conformity. 

but...if someone did dump her that means I can keep her, right? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I don't know? Here in NC you're required to report found dogs and cats to your county animal control. Then if they're not claimed after 72 hours they're yours (if you want to keep them, of course). But I don't know anything about livestock. Maybe check your state's laws?

Cat people used to refer to the CCRB -- the Cosmic Cat Replacement Bureau. Because often when people would lose a beloved pet another cat or kitten would soon find its way into their life. Maybe there's a Cosmic Jersey Cow Replacement Bureau (CJCRB)??

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Man...that would be so unlikely. I think you could put this cow on Craigslist for $500 and be drowned in calls. I’d bet she’d go for $1000. She looks that good. Beautiful udder great body condition. Perfect conformity. 

Yes. You will keep her as a pet, right?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't know? Here in NC you're required to report found dogs and cats to your county animal control. Then if they're not claimed after 72 hours they're yours (if you want to keep them, of course). But I don't know anything about livestock. Maybe check your state's laws?

Cat people used to refer to the CCRB -- the Cosmic Cat Replacement Bureau. Because often when people would lose a beloved pet another cat or kitten would soon find its way into their life. Maybe there's a Cosmic Jersey Cow Replacement Bureau (CJCRB)??

I did call our local police department and left a message with my name and number in case someone has reported her missing.

• Like 5