Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

8 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Because I don't think people in this thread will laugh at me, I have a couple of questions about mail and groceries. 

For regular mail, I am currently leaving it in my garage.  How long should I leave it there to be safe?  I am getting rid of all the junk mail right away.  I am putting the rest into 2 piles -- to be shredded and important/need to keep.  It is not coming in my house until I feel it is ok!  I am switching bills that I like paper statements for to electronic delivery at this point.  All my bank stuff is on-line.

I have had several big boxes of stuff from Target delivered recently.  I do not need these items right away and they are non-perishable items in plastic containers (think Tide).  How long would you leave them out in the garage to feel safe not wiping them down?  I want to conserve my wipes.

I do not need groceries for a bit but, when the $&(% really hits the fan, would you feel safer going to shop yourself with a mask and gloves (either early in the morning or late at night before they close) or have it purchased and delivered to your front porch?  Groceries would not include any fresh fruit or veggies (I don't want to buy stuff that people are handling that way) - this is whether I go shopping or have them delivered.  Either way, items would be wiped down before coming in my house.

I feel so stupid even asking these questions.  I never thought in a million years...

I just bring the stuff in, open, get rid of packaging, wash hands. If you are really concerned you could wear gloves, even snow gloves, while opening. 

• Like 2

Just now, Paige said:

I just bring the stuff in, open, get rid of packaging, wash hands. If you are really concerned you could wear gloves, even snow gloves, while opening. 

Yes, I am wearing gloves -- LOL.  Probably the only weird lady in the neighborhood getting mail and packages with rubber gloves on -- LOL.

My sister works in a hospital.  I am taking this seriously!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Yes, I am wearing gloves -- LOL.  Probably the only weird lady in the neighborhood getting mail and packages with rubber gloves on -- LOL.

My sister works in a hospital.  I am taking this seriously!

Wearing gloves to get the mail, then leaving it in a box on the porch for a day.  I'm figuring if it lasts 24hrs on cardboard, about the same for paper mail?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Wearing gloves to get the mail, then leaving it in a box on the porch for a day.  I'm figuring if it lasts 24hrs on cardboard, about the same for paper mail?

Someone posted a table on here about how long "they" think this virus last on various surfaces.  Trying to go back to find it.  Not sure if it is accurate or not, but it was up to 72 hours for plastics.

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

They have been looking for antibodies.

The last study showed people werent developing them, leading people to believe you could be reinfected. John Campbell mentioned yesterday that immunity may develop and that perhaps those early studies had people who were in biphasic disease ie they weren’t done being sick yet.

I have been trying to watch all of John Campbell’s videos, but think I missed this!  Thanks!  

I'm getting my own groceries at hopefully non-peak times. I'm not wearing gloves or a mask. I use hand sanitizer as soon as I get back in the car and I wash my hands well as soon as I get home and again after I get groceries put away. I tried wearing my winter gloves when I went to Costco and I caught myself putting my gloved fingers into my mouth to pull my glove off! I don't think I have the habits to keep from touching my face if wearing a mask or gloves, so that kind of defeats the purpose. I do better at protecting myself if I don't have the false sense of security that I'm safe. I'm not worried about touching the mail or the paper--I don't believe that's how people are getting sick.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NorthernBeth said:

Just desperately needing to vent to people who don't know me. I live in Ontario, on a remote First Nations reservation. We had a big meeting yesterday at the Nursing Station of frontline workers  ( anyone really who deals with the public-- store manager, mental health workers, teachers, nursing staff, chief and council, etc.)   They were basically running through a list of what actions we are taking to protect people , and which departments/ people would be responsible for what.   All of that is great, and it was wonderful to hear.  

What was not so wonderful to hear, was the nurse responsible for briefing everybody either deliberately or stupidly giving mininformation or outdated information or deliberately editing what she said .  ( clearly in an effort to calm people's fears.)   As I am not First Nations, nor a health profession,  I clamped my teeth and shut up , but it was incredibly frustrating.

Examples of what I mean: 

She pointed out reassuringly that our nearby big town of Thunder Bay had no cases.   She left out that a different nearby town, did, ( which several of us mentioned,)) 

When asked if nurses coming in were being screened, she replied that they were only being screened if they had travelled internationally, otherwise-- nope.  If they have a fever they need to be fever free for 24 hours and then they are free to come up.

When questioned on testing, she stated flat out that EVEN IF YOU HAD SYMPTOMS, if you had not travelled internationally, then YOU DID NOT HAVE IT.  And obviously, therefore, they would not be testing you.

She stated that there is NO community transmission at this time in Canada, even though there was literally just a news article stating that they believe Ontario is beginning to see signs of community transmission.

She stated  that there was only 1 death in Canada, rather than 4 deaths, as is actually the case.

She stated that the ONLY people who are dying are old or have pre-existing conditions. Otherwise don't worry, you won't die.  

I think what left me most frustrated was i could not tell if she was simple misinformed or actually intentionally misleading people.  

I know all this will probably seem like small potatoes to people living in bigger areas that are already facing many more deaths, but as First Nations communities are notoriously overcrowded, understocked for medical supplies, underserviced for medical needs, and that any illness tends to run through the whole reserve like wildfire, I was really, really dismayed by her responses. 

Not much i can do about it, but just really needed to vent to other people.

I wonder if anything can be done about that ?  Someone to tell quietly like a tribe elder? Or legal representative for the reservation?

Amy Qin:  China is expelling all American journalists w/the NYT, WSJ & WaPo — myself included. So many feelings, but I keep coming back to my last trip, to Wuhan, where ppl were so willing to talk - they wanted the world to know what was happening to them and to hold their govt accountable

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

29 minutes ago, Paige said:

This is what I do as well. 

I mask when at the store.  (I have masks leftover from last year's flu/cold season since I mask at this time every year.)  I wash hands when I get home.  Fresh produce gets washed, prepped and then cooked thoroughly.  I am not worried about getting anything from fresh produce.   I wipe down counters, wash knives and cutting boards in a dilute bleach solution. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Renai said:

A new message on our state website says that confirmation with CDC is no longer required. They've changed the "presumptive cases" category to just "positive" to reflect that change.

I saw that on a recent update on my state page too. 

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Governor Reynolds - Iowa

"Gov. Kim Reynolds issued a state of public health disaster on Tuesday, forcing the closures of establishments across the state.

Is “disaster” a step up from emergency ? Or different names for same thing?

1 hour ago, TCB said:

This is really worrying! Surely more masks could be produced quite quickly! I just can't believe that that is not a high priority - surely it much be in the works!

They are supposed to be in the works. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

TCB, the quote in the newspaper was, “We are at the mercy of manufacturers.”

Also trying not to get too political, but Italy with a national health care system is in bad shape. National healthcare would not necessarily solve this problem. And we are still too much in midst of crisis to know for sure how well the private sector will end up responding.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I would guess that the number of hospital beds and ventilators per person will wind up mattering more than the kind of healthcare system. That, and I would guess that the fact that the US has to coordinate the actions of 50 separate states is not going to be in its favor in this particular instance. It's harder to coordinate lots of different actors into a cohesive plan. 

Just guessing, though. 

That and strictly adhered to adequate infection control protocols

35 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Amy Qin:  China is expelling all American journalists w/the NYT, WSJ & WaPo — myself included. So many feelings, but I keep coming back to my last trip, to Wuhan, where ppl were so willing to talk - they wanted the world to know what was happening to them and to hold their govt accountable

I remember back to the Chinese blogger in Wuhan - he was telling the world what was happening.  He's disappeared (about the time China started going door to door and dragging the ill out)  and not been seen since.  Same with some Chinese tycoon who criticized Beijing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Because I don't think people in this thread will laugh at me, I have a couple of questions about mail and groceries. 

For regular mail, I am currently leaving it in my garage.  How long should I leave it there to be safe?  I am getting rid of all the junk mail right away.  I am putting the rest into 2 piles -- to be shredded and important/need to keep.  It is not coming in my house until I feel it is ok!  I am switching bills that I like paper statements for to electronic delivery at this point.  All my bank stuff is on-line.

I have had several big boxes of stuff from Target delivered recently.  I do not need these items right away and they are non-perishable items in plastic containers (think Tide).  How long would you leave them out in the garage to feel safe not wiping them down?  I want to conserve my wipes.

I do not need groceries for a bit but, when the $&(% really hits the fan, would you feel safer going to shop yourself with a mask and gloves (either early in the morning or late at night before they close) or have it purchased and delivered to your front porch?  Groceries would not include any fresh fruit or veggies (I don't want to buy stuff that people are handling that way) - this is whether I go shopping or have them delivered.  Either way, items would be wiped down before coming in my house.

I feel so stupid even asking these questions.  I never thought in a million years...

For the plastic things, I wouldn’t waste wipes.  I’d wash them like washing dishes: with soap and water.  Use a bucket and hose them off, or dump a cup of water on them to rinse them.

• Thanks 2

“Target Announces Reduced Store Hours, Dedicated Shopping Hours for Vulnerable Guests

MINNEAPOLIS - March 17, 2020

Retailer to close all stores by 9 p.m. daily; Reserve the first hour of shopping each Wednesday for vulnerable guests—including elderly and those with underlying health concerns”

https://corporate.target.com/press/releases/2020/03/target-announces-reduced-store-hours-dedicated-sho

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

NED-1387-How-long-COVID-19-lingers_ .jpg

We had Instacart (free delivery via the Costco app, but tip generously) drop off the groceries outside, then we put on gloves, and wiped everything down with a disinfecting solution. Nothing was brought into the RV until outside packaging was removed and/or wiped down with the disinfectant. I basically assume every person and surface outside of my house is contaminated.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 2

@mathnerd

Update: 17 new cases of #COVID19 in Santa Clara County. This brings the total number of cases to 155. We expect numbers to grow and urge everyone to follow Public Health recommendations. For additional information, visit: http://direc.to/dY2d

I thought some might find this interesting.  It's a run down on some of what Harborview (the level 1 trauma center for the PNW.) is doing to prepare during their "calm before the storm."

e.g. In ICU - standard procedure is each patient has a nurse. - now, each of those nurses will have a nurse watching them to make sure they're doing everything they can to prevent themselves from becoming ill.  those mistakes because you're rushed, or your tired. etc. or just plain having a blank moment.

and extra training for dealing with such a highly contagious and dangerous illness.

I think back to that one Italian dr.  He thought he was prepared, he was taking things seriously - a week later, he realized how incredibly naïve he was.

• Like 2

A little OT, but the irony. I had to share it with the Hive. I flipped open SOTW which had been on pause while we were full bore prepping for Science Olympiad. This is where I left off. (Ch. 20 if anyone is looking for it.)

89949632_10222224825038706_8550114850687156224_n.jpg

Edited by calbear
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

First case in West Virginia

and now all 50 states have cases.

ETA:

“UPDATE: Coronavirus death toll in the US reaches 100; West Virginia reports its first case in the state, meaning the virus has now been confirmed to have reached all 50 US states.” https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-countries-across-world-step-restrictions-combat-crisis-n1161301/ncrd1162321

Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

Florida's universities will all be doing remote learning through the end of the semester. Florida's K12 students will not return to classrooms until *at least* April 15.

FL universities also canceled commencement.

UT schools say they are postponing commencement to possibly fall.  Ohio State postponed spring commencement.  

“”“””We are very sorry to announce one death from #COVID19, bringing the total to 5. He was an adult man in his 50s. We are saddened to share this news and we express our condolences to his family and friends.”
Edited by Arcadia
Weird formatting
  • Sad 1

In the midst of all the emails about how companies are dealing with COVID-19,  I've been getting a lot from Homeschool Spanish Academy. Most of the emails are deleted without being read, but I always read the HSA ones even though we don't use them anymore. This is the latest. I worry for us, but I worry so much more for 3rd world countries.

I hope this message finds you well and I sincerely apologize for the multiple emails. However, I would like to notify you that after the lockdown in Guatemala yesterday, we are doing our best to transition the remainder of our teachers from our office to their homes. The fact is, certain situations require us to order the internet for the teacher and have it installed in their homes, which has led to last minute cancellations.

As such, I want to apologize for any inconveniences during the remainder of the week as we work through this transition. We are doing our best to cope with the changing circumstances as quickly as possible. 

I appreciate your patience and consideration during this time. Stay safe and healthy.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I read this this afternoon.  I also read that it would take about 10 years to flatten the curve low enough that everyone could be cared for.    I think that was in this medium article we've linked a few times: https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727

This is another flattening the curve article I found interesting:

https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/flattening-the-coronavirus-curve-is-not-enough/

I would much rather not get this and not have to have the Russian Roulette of hoping that my treatment will be good enough. (I realize that you feel the same way.). But just pointing out that just slowing down the progression still assumes the risk of infection and all that it entails. (Now we could end up with it anyway no matter how careful we are, but I hope not. ). 

• Like 3

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

“The genomic features described here may explain in part the infectiousness and transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2 in humans. Although the evidence shows that SARS-CoV-2 is not a purposefully manipulated virus, it is currently impossible to prove or disprove the other theories of its origin described here. However, since we observed all notable SARS-CoV-2 features, including the optimized RBD and polybasic cleavage site, in related coronaviruses in nature, we do not believe that any type of laboratory-based scenario is plausible.”

this may be reassuring to some.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would much rather not get this and not have to have the Russian Roulette of hoping that my treatment will be good enough. (I realize that you feel the same way.). But just pointing out that just slowing down the progression still assumes the risk of infection and all that it entails. (Now we could end up with it anyway no matter how careful we are, but I hope not. ). 

Yes I’ve seen similar.  Really stopping it should always have been the goal.  Would have translated to more realistic action.

• Like 2

Wake County, NC schools admit that they may not open again soon and say they're working on distance learning options. State Board of Ed clarified that the school year minimum days/hours requirement was effectively voided by the governor's order. (They opened food pick-up sites today and also opened school buildings for the afternoon so students and staff could retrieve belongings.)

• Like 3

@mathnerd

California https://abc7news.com/health/live-gov-newsom-gives-update-on-ca-coronavirus-outbreak/5906450/

“5 p.m.

Schools could be out until summer break, Newsom says

During a press conference on Tuesday, Governor Gavin Newsom announced that individuals should plan for the possibility that students will not go back to school before summer break”

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but I have heard absolutely nothing in terms of Coronavirus cases or statistics coming out of Russia.  I’m assuming they surely must have it there, too, but because of state-controlled media, we don’t know anything?

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/coronavirus-vladimir-putin-says-russia-virus-situation-under-control

“8 HOURS AGO

MOSCOW (AFP) - President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday (March 17) said the coronavirus situation was "under control" in Russia and outbreaks of infection had been contained.

Russia reported 114 cases of coronavirus, up from 93 on Monday, with no fatalities.

The country is closing its borders to foreigners from Wednesday, and cultural and sports events have been suspended.”

20 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Mentioned it, but No letter on that.

It was so absolutely awful, I would think they would have gotten quite a few citizen calls or letters.  

I notice vision test is waived for a time—I have been coughing some today and have thought  of that inadequately cleaned vision test machine and the sick guy at UPS store.  I don’t think I have CV, but if I have gotten it, those would be my top suspects for exposures. 

22 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I read this this afternoon.  I also read that it would take about 10 years to flatten the curve low enough that everyone could be cared for.    I think that was in this medium article we've linked a few times: https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727

This is another flattening the curve article I found interesting:

https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/flattening-the-coronavirus-curve-is-not-enough/

I agree with aspects of the second article premise that flattening the curve alone is not enough. Not enough no, but substantial. Necessary yes, sufficient unto itself, no. 

I think if CV were ongoing (no build up of natural immunity, no vaccine...) we would make a number of societal adjustments and would stop thinking about it all the time. Maybe that will / should happen anyway.  Because another CV type situation will almost certainly come, and could be worse, so long term societal changes do make sense.

It would become new normal.  There are times and places where things are done differently and it wasn’t necessarily the case that the nonchalance with which people went to school, work, church etc —many places —when ill, travelled the world, or the leisure activities engaged it in late 2019 were necessarily the best way to do things.

Maybe there will be less gift wrap and more face masks as companies change products lines. Perhaps fewer fancy cars and more ventilators.   Maybe buses will go back to windows that open or other things that might be found to be better than the way it is now. Maybe handshakes and social kisses will be as out of fashion as carrying swords.  Maybe there will be more hand sanitizer and less makeup. 

It might also result in a stop to the steep human population climb, perhaps even some population downturn, but in a gradual way without lots of people needing mass cremation and the like.

I believe it would make a huge difference.

And there don’t need to be numbers on the axis . 

We are able to take our area population compared to adult ICU beds and get a good idea of the flattening that is needed.