Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

3 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

Well my guess is it has already kicked in.  Things like multiple people for one ventilator don’t get proven out overnight.  Inventions are often in the works for awhile before we hear about them.  I just read this morning in the Detroit News that the President is in talks with at least 2 of the big 3 automakers about the feasibility of converting some production capacity to ventilaors.

Yep.  And I think literally every scientist with any kind of relevant background is working on this right now.  It just takes time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robin M said:

Informative Red Table Talk with Will Smith and Dr Olsterholm, head of infectious research center,

https://www.facebook.com/redtabletalk/videos/596573410959049/

This was very informative and up to date info. I trust Osterholm/CIDRAP more than just about anyone, so I really appreciated hearing his thoughts. Thanks for sharing this!

• Like 1

I dont know if this has been posted, but it touched close to home for me. We had all our family except Berkeley ds and wife here on Saturday.  That's 16 people. We do this all of the time. (One of the reasons we moved this summer to be back near everyone.)

Coronavirus Ravages 7 Members of a Single Family, Killing 3

.....: Mrs. Fusco, 73, died on Wednesday night after contracting the coronavirus — hours after her son died from the virus and five days after her daughter’s death, a relative said.

Four other children who contracted coronavirus remain hospitalized, three of them in critical condition, the relative, Roseann Paradiso Fodera, said.

Mrs. Fusco’s eldest child, Rita Fusco-Jackson, 55, of Freehold, N.J., died Friday; after her death, the family learned she had contracted the virus. Her eldest son, Carmine Fusco, of Bath, Pa., died on Wednesday....

But the virus’s devastating toll on a single family is considered as rare as it is perplexing.

“They’re young and they don’t have any underlying conditions,” Ms. Paradiso Fodero said....

He said officials are in the process of evaluating the patients’ medical histories to look for clues about why the disease might have progressed so rapidly, and been so potent.

“I don’t know if it’s a strain thing,” Dr. Matera said. “I would consider these particular people to be unusual.”

Her relatives are urging officials at CentraState or the C.D.C. to conduct an autopsy to learn more about how the virus killed Ms. Fusco-Jackson. She had been in good health....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/nyregion/new-jersey-family-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The one mom who died, 55, mom of 3, no underlying conditions, good health, active lifestyle does not fit the mantra profile. Children are in critical condition.

• Sad 8

For uk people 

If you are self-isolating, you could contact one of these organisations for help and support: Age UK 0800 678 1602 Asthma UK 0300 222 5800 BHF 0300 330 3311 Diabetes UK 0345 123 2399 Mind 0300 123 3393 Scope 0808 800 3333 The Silver Line 0800 470 8090

4 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I dont know if this has been posted, but it touched close to home for me. We had all our family except Berkeley ds and wife here on Saturday.  That's 16 people. We do this all of the time. (One of the reasons we moved this summer to be back near everyone.)

The one mom who died, 55, mom of 3, no underlying conditions, good health, active lifestyle does not fit the mantra profile. Children are in critical condition.

I did read it earlier.  There was a similar story in China although no minors involved but a filmmaker, his wife and both parents all died.  It’s strange why this seems to hit some so much harder than others.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

People's desire to get back to normal is a strong argument for widespread testing: Everyone who has definitely had the virus, waited in isolation, and recovered can then resume normal activity without fear of catching or spreading it, but many cases are so mild the we can't be sure unless we test them.

I'm concerned this may be an issue with DS, who got sick on the night of 3/7 and is starting to feel better but hasn't been tested. If my test is positive, he will presumably be tested Monday, but may be negative by then because he's over it rather than because he didn't catch it. I will call his ped today to consult.

If we verify that we do have it, we can be among the first people back to volunteering at the food bank, etc., next month. 💛 That would be nice.

They are working on developing tests for antibodies for these situations but it’s not there yet 

• Like 4

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2160PM?__twitter_impression=true

elon musk is offering to make ventilators.  As are other auto manufacturers.  

I know people have different ideas about him but the entire power network fell over in my state and they had him build some giant battery bank and it’s been very reliable since then. 

• Like 8

In my county we currently have 27 known sick.  I believe there are still a hundred or more tests waiting for results, but there are no supplies to run any more.  We’re at community spread, though, so we’re to assume we have it and do everything we can not to spread it.  The 27 known are listed below by ago.  Only 4 of them are older than 60.  

• Women
  • 1 woman in her late teens
  • 3 women in their 20s
  • 4 women in their 30s
  • 3 women in their 40s
  • 2 women in their 50s
  • 1 woman in her 60s
  • woman in her 70s
  • Men
  • 2 men in their 20s
  • 4 men in their 30s
  • 3 men in their 40s
  • 1 man in his 50s
  • 2 men in their 60s
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Yes, it does touch close to home.   We are a large family too.  We see each other fairly regularly.  We're hoping to do a Zoom session this weekend.  I miss my kids. 

• Like 2

There isn't a single, accurate source of the number of people tested in the US.

The best dataset I have been able to find is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vRwAqp96T9sYYq2-i7Tj0pvTf6XVHjDSMIKBdZHXiCGGdNC0ypEU9NbngS8mxea55JuCFuua1MUeOj5/pubhtml#

Plotting their numbers gives this chart:

image.png.2d06169c6d62feaad64a8d4b4ddfab78.png

As more people are being tested, a lower percentage of the tests are coming back positive. A week ago, about 15% of the tests in the US were positive; it is now closer to 10%.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think this must be a common thing. I read last week about the UK doing the same. I hope some US factories will be able to switch over to producing PPE soon. I think the public should have access to some too. There are plenty of vulnerable people who need it. Maybe this whole ordeal will encourage some factories to come back to the United States. Or, new ones to open.

1 hour ago, Mom2mthj said:

Well my guess is it has already kicked in.  Things like multiple people for one ventilator don’t get proven out overnight.  Inventions are often in the works for awhile before we hear about them.  I just read this morning in the Detroit News that the President is in talks with at least 2 of the big 3 automakers about the feasibility of converting some production capacity to ventilaors.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

I think this must be a common thing. I read last week about the UK doing the same. I hope some US factories will be able to switch over to producing PPE soon. I think the public should have access to some too. There are plenty of vulnerable people who need it. Maybe this whole ordeal will encourage some factories to come back to the United States. Or, new ones to open.

Oh, I hope so!  It is such a bad idea to have entire industries that supply necessary goods so far away.  

• Like 4

I was thinking about Easter family gatherings this morning in the shower. We have big family gatherings for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. I don't think I will want to go. I know DD will, but I hope my aunt cancels it this year. We have too many vulnerable people in our family.

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

• Like 2

I'm trying to figure out how to handle a large family, too.  My son, wife and 3 granddaughters haven't been here since last Friday.  Son and Dil have both been at work this week (they alternate work hours so kids haven't been out).  Dil just texted to ask me to babysit next week and I know they will want to come over tomorrow or Saturday.  What do I do?  We are over the 10 people limit the minute they walk in the door. . . 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mom2mthj said:

I don't think the multiple-people-on-one-ventilator thing is as new as people think it is. I could be wrong, but I think that's been known for a long time. It's just rarely (never?) really been needed here.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

Just now, Arctic Mama said:

I’m hearing chloroquine is showing good results?!  Any data on this?  That would be such wonderful news if a treatment is found. Even if a vaccine is slower to come.

According to what I'm reading on the medical board I belong to it really does seem to be a promising treatment.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m hearing chloroquine is showing good results?!  Any data on this?  That would be such wonderful news if a treatment is found. Even if a vaccine is slower to come.

I just heard that too!  That would be wonderful!  I haven't heard details yet.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

The best dataset I have been able to find is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vRwAqp96T9sYYq2-i7Tj0pvTf6XVHjDSMIKBdZHXiCGGdNC0ypEU9NbngS8mxea55JuCFuua1MUeOj5/pubhtml#

Plotting their numbers gives this chart:

image.png.2d06169c6d62feaad64a8d4b4ddfab78.png

As more people are being tested, a lower percentage of the tests are coming back positive. A week ago, about 15% of the tests in the US were positive; it is now closer to 10%.  

... And you have to be careful with those numbers because they come from states which, in some cases, don't report the negatives  (Or total number of tests). So, actually, it could be an even lower percentage of positives.

This is important: if you are calculating positive rates, it should only be with states that have an A grade

That's the good part. However, also note that you can test negative today & positive tomorrow. 

I'm hoping the genetic sequencing the Washington State lab has been doing helps somehow with tracking new cases once we get ahold of all the new community spread. Where are the new hot spots? Who needs to be kept inside because it is their strain that is spreading? Plus, I hope it will help with vaccine development.

Edited by RootAnn
Added note from #covid19tracking Twitter
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

10 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

According to what I'm reading on the medical board I belong to it really does seem to be a promising treatment.

7 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I just heard that too!  That would be wonderful!  I haven't heard details yet.

I thought I posted upthread 

“An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Presented by: James M. Todaro, MD (Columbia MD, jtodaro2@gmail.com) and Gregory J. Rigano, Esq. (grigano1@jhu.edu)
In consultation with Stanford University School of Medicine, UAB School of Medicine and National Academy of Sciences researchers.
March 13, 2020”

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTi-g18ftNZUMRAj2SwRPodtscFio7bJ7GdNgbJAGbdfF67WuRJB3ZsidgpidB2eocFHAVjIL-7deJ7/pub

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

Yes, it does touch close to home.   We are a large family too.  We see each other fairly regularly.  We're hoping to do a Zoom session this weekend.  I miss my kids. 

Our family is going to do a virtual brunch together on Zoom this weekend.  We have children in other states and countries, and some of us in the same city have underlying health conditions so are being extra careful.  Of course for one of our children, the "brunch" will really be "dinner" because of the time zone change!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JanOH said:

I'm trying to figure out how to handle a large family, too.  My son, wife and 3 granddaughters haven't been here since last Friday.  Son and Dil have both been at work this week (they alternate work hours so kids haven't been out).  Dil just texted to ask me to babysit next week and I know they will want to come over tomorrow or Saturday.  What do I do?  We are over the 10 people limit the minute they walk in the door. . . 

Dh and I are trying to assess what to do.  Ds continues to go to work and believes everything is completely overblown by the media.  His kids are normally here all of the time.  Their oldest is our 10 yr old's best friend.  We aren't sure if we should let them come over or not.  Our Aspie is still going to work.  Meanwhile, dh is working from home and we aren't leaving the house except walking around the neighborhood and backyard.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I thought I posted upthread 

“An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Presented by: James M. Todaro, MD (Columbia MD, jtodaro2@gmail.com) and Gregory J. Rigano, Esq. (grigano1@jhu.edu)
In consultation with Stanford University School of Medicine, UAB School of Medicine and National Academy of Sciences researchers.
March 13, 2020”

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTi-g18ftNZUMRAj2SwRPodtscFio7bJ7GdNgbJAGbdfF67WuRJB3ZsidgpidB2eocFHAVjIL-7deJ7/pub

That's very encouraging!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JanOH said:

"Hi, Dil! This sure is a hard time for families with kids! Since we are not spending time with anyone for social reasons right now, babysitting next week will need to look different. I think it would be best if the kids stay overnight. That way I can babysit them for two full days at a time with less risk of exposing my at-home family indirectly to these widespread germs. While they are here, we won't be going anywhere or seeing anyone. Tell them to expect lots of hand washing! You can drop them off outside any time on (whenever) with the things they need for a 2-day stay, including taking showers/baths. I can keep their overnight things here, and do their laundry between each stay. I know this isn't the normal kind of babysitting I can offer you, and I'm sorry to disappoint you. I think it's for the best, especially as you and Son need to keep working outside the house daily."

When the kids arrive, meet them outside, walk them in one by one, wash all of their hands immediately and pop them in a shower. Wash the clothes they came in/with and any soft toys. Wipe any objects (hair brush, phone, whatever) with a damp soapy cloth. Keep on top of wiping down the high-touch surfaces in your home at least daily. Keep everything you can "for next time" when you send them home.

(And just a hard pass to any suggestion of visiting for visiting's sake, "Sorry, we need to say no to a Saturday visit. We aren't seeing anyone for social reasons right now.")

Edited by bolt.

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

Our family is going to do a virtual brunch together on Zoom this weekend.  We have children in other states and countries, and some of us in the same city have underlying health conditions so are being extra careful.  Of course for one of our children, the "brunch" will really be "dinner" because of the time zone change!

This is such a great idea! Looking forward to trying it with my family. 

• Like 1

https://abc7news.com/6027703/
“LONDON, Ky. -- It's official: gas has fallen to 99 cents per gallon.

According to GasBuddy, a BP station in London, Kentucky has lowered its price to 99 cents per gallon. The website said it confirmed the price through a cashier who answered the phone as well as through GasBuddy users who reported the price through the app.

The gas station is the first in the U.S. to reach this price, which was predicted by head of petroleum analysis for GasBuddy Patrick DeHaan.”

2 hours ago, JanOH said:

I like @bolt. Approach below or a modification of it!

Dh and I are trying to assess what to do.  Ds continues to go to work and believes everything is completely overblown by the media.  His kids are normally here all of the time.  Their oldest is our 10 yr old's best friend.  We aren't sure if we should let them come over or not.  Our Aspie is still going to work.  Meanwhile, dh is working from home and we aren't leaving the house except walking around the neighborhood and backyard.

Maybe if the 10 yo grandchild is over both 10 yo kids (all kids) could wear some sort of mask, even if homemade to decrease droplets from flying around.    

And do any meals outdoors as picnic with lots of space between people

???

My impression is that media does like to milk things for viewership, so in a sense it is “overblown” as to flashy attention getting aspects.  But the underlying problem is real, not a stunt to gain viewers.  And in some ways I think the media is underplaying it, not overblowing it. 

However, it is for real the biggest pandemic threat and crisis since the 1918-1919 flu, and possibly worse than that for a number of reasons.  Depending on what emerges as treatments or vaccines versus speed of infection spread, it could end up either much worse or less bad in outcome to the 1918 situation.   

50 minutes ago, bolt. said:

"Hi, Dil! This sure is a hard time for families with kids! Since we are not spending time with anyone for social distancing reasons right now, babysitting next week will need to look different. I think it would be best if the kids stay overnight. That way I can babysit them for two full days at a time with less risk of exposing my at-home family indirectly to these widespread germs. While they are here, we won't be going anywhere or seeing anyone. Tell them to expect lots of hand washing! You can drop them off outside any time on (whenever) with the things they need for a 2-day stay, including taking showers/baths. I can keep their overnight things here, and do their laundry between each stay. I know this isn't the normal kind of babysitting I can offer you, and I'm sorry to disappoint you. I think it's for the best, especially as you and Son need to keep working outside the house daily."

When the kids arrive, meet them outside, walk them in one by one, wash all of their hands immediately and pop them in a shower. Wash the clothes they came in/with and any soft toys. Wipe any objects (hair brush, phone, whatever) with a damp soapy cloth. Keep on top of wiping down the high-touch surfaces in your home at least daily. Keep everything you can "for next time" when you send them home.

(And just a hard pass to any suggestion of visiting for visiting's sake, "Sorry, we need to say no to a Saturday visit. We aren't seeing anyone for social reasons right now.")

I like this not only for family situations, but I can think of variations that might apply for other situations too!

I Added  word “distancing” in bold into the text above 

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

This also seems like a great idea, and not just for family situations!  And not just for Covid19.  

I have had health issues and have been very limited as to travel and get togethers.  When I have suggested “virtual attendance” in past that’s usually been considered too hard for others, but maybe with CV it will get worked out and not seem so hard anymore. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

I don't think this has been passed yet.   I think this would be great for people who have been affected by coronavirus and lost their jobs or seen huge cuts.   That with unemployment would be a great safety net. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/488412-mnuchin-americans-could-get-two-coronavirus-stimulus-checks-within-9

The $1 trillion package the White House and Senate Republicans plan on presenting would provide every adult American with a $1,000 check, plus another $500 for each child. A family with two parents and two children, for example, would get $3,000.

"As soon as Congress passes this we'd get this out in three weeks, and then six weeks later, if the president still has a national emergency, we'll deliver another $3,000," Mnuchin said. Earlier in the week, Mnuchin had pointed to a two-week target to send out cash payments.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Well, the question for us is moot.  Granddaughter is having severe chest pain that is radiating down her arms and is crying.  She has no fever.  But, we are going to watch the other kids b/c we don't want her to have to take the younger kids to the drs office with higher risk of exposure for them.  College age dd is going over to babysit.

• Sad 25

2 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Well, the question for us is moot.  Granddaughter is having severe chest pain that is radiating down her arms and is crying.  She has no fever.  But, we are going to watch the other kids b/c we don't want her to have to take the younger kids to the drs office with higher risk of exposure for them.  College age dd is going over to babysit.

Oh my gosh.  I am so sorry.  How old is your granddaughter?  I would call the doc asap.    Is it with trouble breathing?   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh my gosh.  I am so sorry.  How old is your granddaughter?  I would call the doc asap.    Is it with trouble breathing?   

She's 8.  Dil called me asking what to do.  I could hear gd crying in the background.  I asked her if it hurt worse when she took a deep breath.  Gd's reply was sometimes.  I asked her to take a deep breath and tell us if it hurt worse and she cried and said she wouldn't do it.  No idea what is going on.  Dil says it doesn't seem respiratory at all.  She was wondering if it could be symptomatic of appendicitis.  I have no idea.

• Sad 5

16 minutes ago, Pen said:

I like @bolt. Approach below or a modification of it!

I like this not only for family situations, but I can think of variations that might apply for other situations too!

I Added  word “distancing” in bold into the text above 

This also seems like a great idea, and not just for family situations!  And not just for Covid19.  

I have had health issues and have been very limited as to travel and get togethers.  When I have suggested “virtual attendance” in past that’s usually been considered too hard for others, but maybe with CV it will get worked out and not seem so hard anymore. 

I'm actually in a book club with my dd's + 2 others and because we live all over the place, we meet on Zoom.  Everyone's video comes up at once, which is great!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My opinion?  This is fearmongering.  Living in an epicenter, people have already shown resilience and have come up with ways to come together.  As time progresses, people will continue to figure things out.  There are wars that go on for 18 months or more.  This isn't the first pandemic that the world has faced.  It will not be forever and I think that it is wrong to say that it will be.  (I am not minimizing how hard it will be for everyone to some extent and some people in some sectors more than others.  But for those, there are people trying to mitigate some of that impact.) 

I hope you don't think that I am trying to fearmonger. I don't think MIT Technology Review is really known for that. I think they just take a futuristic POV, which might be difficult for some of us to envision, especially in our current state of overwhelm. Hopefully, it doesn't come to pass, but I thought it was something worth sharing, for those interested in those issues, as we have discussed what the long-term repercussions might be. I have expat friends in China and other parts of Asia, so I have heard their perspectives living through this as well, which is very different from the American POV. I also did try to put a trigger warning so as not to emotionally overwhelm people unnecessarily.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SeaConquest said:

I hope you don't think that I am trying to fearmonger. I don't think MIT Technology Review is really known for that. I think they just take a futuristic POV, which might be difficult for some of us to envision, especially in our current state of overwhelm. Hopefully, it doesn't come to pass, but I thought it was something worth sharing, for those interested in those issues, as we have discussed what the long-term repercussions might be. I have expat friends in China and other parts of Asia, so I have heard their perspectives living through this as well, which is very different from the American POV. I also did try to put a trigger warning so as not to emotionally overwhelm people unnecessarily.

I am not triggered.  I am not emotionally overwhelmed.  I have been living this level of "social distancing" for years btw and somehow have lived to tell about it.  I just disagree with the article.  There is still so much unknown.  There is so much in the works.  Their futuristic pov is extreme, in my opinion. 

• Like 7

On 3/16/2020 at 1:08 PM, vonfirmath said:

Not crickets. I am trying to get a big enough supply of roaches or superworms because I think I could keep them alive that long (Crickets seem to die too easily in my setup) Superworms are not great for them as a main meal but would be filling at least.

What about the fishing section of Walmart?

6 minutes ago, square_25 said:

This is again assuming that there will be no effective treatments, no vaccines, no antivirals. 

It's one possible version of the future, but it doesn't seem foreordained in any way. 

It assumes the vaccine arrives in 18 months, which I think is a conservative assumption.  But, it is also looking at how we will deal with future pandemics, given that we've had H1N1, SARS, MERS, and now CV19. It's contemplating tracking and potentially legal discrimination on the basis of immunity. I don't think any of this is meant to be a foregone conclusion; rather, just something meant for discussion. But, perhaps, it is simply not the appropriate time for that discussion, while we are in the thick of it. My apologies.

• Like 1

https://abc7news.com/6027818/
“QUEENS, New York -- An Amazon worker at a warehouse has tested positive for coronavirus.

That facility is now closed for cleaning.

Amazon released a statement saying that worker is now in quarantine.

"We are supporting the individual who is now in quarantine. Since the early days of this situation, we have worked closely with local authorities to proactively respond, ensuring we continue to serve customers while taking care of our associates and we're following all guidelines from local officials about the operations of our buildings. We have implemented proactive measures to protect employees including increased cleaning at all facilities, maintaining social distance, and adding distance between drivers and customers when making deliveries. In addition to our enhanced daily deep cleaning, we've temporarily closed the Queens delivery station for additional sanitation and have sent associates home with full pay."

Other workers have been sent home with full pay.

It's the first known case of an Amazon warehouse employee in the U.S. being diagnosed with the virus.”

• Like 1

Humor from Sonoma Sheriff Facebook page 🙂

“Traffic stop leads to the arrest of Miguel Salas, 24 years-old, Cotati for sales and transportation of methamphetamine. Salas had two-pounds of methamphetamine. Salas's narcotics delivery business does not fall under the essential business category. Salas will now have to shelter-in-place at our jail facility.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

32 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

What about the fishing section of Walmart?

Mealworms are much, much easier to breed than superworms, so for something more long-term, that might be a good choice, and anyone that has a live bait section should have them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StellaM said:

A swimming school for preschoolers has just opened literally around the corner from me, I was thinking about whether they'd have any custom at all. Perhaps they will!

I'd think it was a relatively safe environment for a private lesson, but no way would I be at a pool with lots of other people!

BK teaches swim and lifeguards at two pools, and both have completely shut down. I’m glad-she's been sick a LOT this year because parents bring sick kids to lessons. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I think there is a huge gap in understanding with regards to testing. People seem to have a hard time wrapping their minds around the fact that there are a lot more covid-19 cases out there than there are posted in test results.

yes!! I am totally seeing things "The percentages of COVID-19 is SO low, why are we self-quarantining??"  🙄

• Like 3