Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

17 minutes ago, TCB said:

Does any one in Canada know if pastors are being reported for something right now? I'm assuming it is something to do with Covid. My church just posted on FB about praying for Canadian pastors who are being reported by people watching the service they are streaming. I tried googling but only came up with information about Feb 21 and May 21. Would love more information about what is going on, if anything.

I really dislike these kinds of prayer requests (which I last heard in May).  It assumes religious persecution when really it's just about public health. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Starr said:

It could be they are being reported for not following the province regulations for Covid. It's not hard online to see if too many people are in a space, if masks are being worn appropriately, social distancing, singing etc. 

I'm sure that is probably what they are talking about. Not sure what I mean or how to ask it, but are the regulations laws, in other words are they required by law to follow them? Do you know if the regulations change according to the Covid situation at the time, and do they stop the churches from meeting completely, or just mean that they have to alter what they are doing a bit? 

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I really dislike these kinds of prayer requests (which I last heard in May).  It assumes religious persecution when really it's just about public health. 

Me too! I am trying to figure out what's involved because I want to ask the church about what they mean with this prayer request. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TCB said:

Me too! I am trying to figure out what's involved because I want to ask the church about what they mean with this prayer request. 

I had heard about a missionary from somewhere in Africa (can't remember the country, sorry) getting arrested when he came back to Canada.  That too was couched as religious persecution but the facts seemed to indicate that he had tested positive and didn't quarantine.  So not persecution at all.  But I don't remember when this was and I haven't seen any actual news sources on this. 

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Feels like being asked to pray so that people can get away with cheating on their taxes or drunk driving or something. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TCB said:

I'm sure that is probably what they are talking about. Not sure what I mean or how to ask it, but are the regulations laws, in other words are they required by law to follow them? Do you know if the regulations change according to the Covid situation at the time, and do they stop the churches from meeting completely, or just mean that they have to alter what they are doing a bit? 

Ok I jumped to conclusions too quickly. It was not to do with Covid but some other law that is being passed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Rolling around on the floor laughing 

Ikr? 

The same parents who have to be at work, mind you, which is why it's important we babysit for them even when we're coming down with Covid. 

Somehow they can be at work but also supervising a Year 6 class? 

It's just bizarre. 

On 1/16/2022 at 6:17 PM, bookbard said:

I think I had an anxiety attack today - I was convinced I either had Covid or cardiomyopathy from the booster. I am feeling completely normal now. It's just that I can't 'just stay home' - I work with the public 6 days a week, and now school is on hols, the kids come with me wherever I go. Yes, we can stay distant, wear masks, use air purifiers, but I still have to remind people daily to put the mask on (it's in their hand), pull the mask up (it's over their chin), and even then some refuse. There's only so much I can do.

I totally understand the people who are saying 'just want to get it over with' . . . obviously I don't want to get it, but this everyday looking over your shoulder is just so anxiety-provoking. Anytime one of my kids says they're not hungry or they're tired or whatever, that's it, I am freaking. It's exhausting. 

@bookbard How are you going? I've been thinking about you.

I can absolutely relate to how you are feeling. I'm exhausted from the constant worry and constant decision making.

PM me if you want to have a vent or cry or laugh or chat 🌻

• Sad 1

The UGT2A1/UGT2A2 locus is associated with COVID-19-related loss of smell or taste https://www.nature.com/articles/s41588-021-00986-w

“Abstract

Using online surveys, we collected data regarding COVID-19-related loss of smell or taste from 69,841 individuals. We performed a multi-ancestry genome-wide association study and identified a genome-wide significant locus in the vicinity of the UGT2A1 and UGT2A2 genes. Both genes are expressed in the olfactory epithelium and play a role in metabolizing odorants. These findings provide a genetic link to the biological mechanisms underlying COVID-19-related loss of smell or taste.

Our study has several limitations. First, while our study was large in scale, it was biased toward individuals of European ancestry and lacked a replication cohort. Second, we relied on self-reported case and symptom status; replication within a cohort with clinical ascertainment could be beneficial. Third, given that loss of smell or taste were combined in a single survey question, we cannot further disentangle these two symptoms. Loss of smell without loss of taste may be distinct from loss of both or loss of taste without loss of smell. Given this, it is unclear if our findings relate more strongly to one symptom or the other.”

• Like 2

News from down here today

Most states are bringing boosters forward to three months. Pfizer has said they will have their omicron specific booster by March. I guess if they can get most Australians through third doses in Jan/Feb by the time the new one is out and available down here there will be enough of a gap?  Still not keen for another round and many people saying the same here - the third booster made them feel as bad or worse than the second and they’re not keen to see what the fourth does.  Even DH he usually bounces very quickly from stuff like that was fatigued for days afterwards. 

Case numbers are fairly stable in SA maybe even trending down slightly. Initially they reported 6 deaths then revised to three so no idea what’s with that. There seems to be testing available.  Tonnes of people we know currently have or have had it. Most of the ones who have been more sick have been in the 50-65 year old male demographic.

As far as I can make out it’s 64 deaths Australia wide today.

Specific numbers from ABC in case any non Aus people are interested. Cases seem to be stabilising but hospitalisations still climbing a bit.

NSW: 32 deaths and 32,297 cases; 2,863 people in hospital, including 217 in ICUs. Watch the press conference here.

Victoria: 18 deaths and 20,769 cases; 1,173 people in hospital, including 125 in ICUs. Watch the press conference here.

Tasmania: 1,185 new cases. 29 people in hospitals, including two in ICUs

Queensland: 11 deaths and 19,932 cases; 835 people in hospitals, including 52 in ICUs. Watch the press conference here.

ACT: 1,467 new cases. 60 people in hospitals, including five in ICUs

SA: 3 deaths and 3,482 cases; 294 people in hospital, including 23 in ICUs. Watch the press conference here

NT: 418 cases; 48 people in hospital. Watch the press conference here

WA: 2 cases. Watch the press conference here

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

It seems unlikely that house pets would get it without the humans already being infected. I could understand not adding NEW house pets who might have been exposed in a shop, but not killing existing pets. 

The Hong Kong order was for hamsters bought after December 22nd. 
https://amp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3163942/coronavirus-hong-kong-hamster-cull-commences

“Seven hamsters, accounting for about 20 per cent of those sold at the Little Boss pet shop in Causeway Bay, returned a positive result when tested for the coronavirus. At least three cases, including the shop employee who was carrying the Delta variant of the virus, have been confirmed infected.

According to health authorities, the cull order applies to all hamsters bought in Hong Kong after December 22. About 2,000 hamsters and other small animals are subject to the order, with authorities saying they would be tested and “humanely handled” before they are killed.”

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Is there a risk of spread via mice then?  

I thought I read at least one article that said that Omicron could have been incubated in mice (and then passed back to humans).  Here's one: 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34954396/

Actually, this research suggests this is the most likely origin.

We already know that most of the North American deer herd has been infected, as well as all those mink in Denmark and a weird host of zoo animals (tigers and hippos!).  So, this virus seems very... non-selective!

I am not killing my cats if we get covid.  Nope.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Michigan has averaged 17,202 cases per day for each of the five last days. We didn't really get over the delta surge before getting hammered with omicron. I don't know how HCW's continue to marshall onward, but I fear that so many of them will have absolutely wrecked health when we finally see this subside. 😭

• Sad 7

5 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I thought I read at least one article that said that Omicron could have been incubated in mice (and then passed back to humans).  Here's one: 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34954396/

Actually, this research suggests this is the most likely origin.

We already know that most of the North American deer herd has been infected, as well as all those mink in Denmark and a weird host of zoo animals (tigers and hippos!).  So, this virus seems very... non-selective!

I am not killing my cats if we get covid.  Nope.

Two of my dogs have been sneezing this week and sleeping more than normal. I wonder if we gave them Covid.

Even if we pass it back and forth I’m not killing them, so maybe we’re just stuck with Covid now for a while.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

There was a workplace accident just on Tuesday in Victoria where the forklift operator was killed

Yes I’ve seen too many videos where people have been trapped under stuff they were trying to move.  Unfortunately probably not that different to kids driving farm tractors etc I guess which happens though.  Plenty of call-outs with tractor accidents as well 😞 

• Sad 2

it seems like quite a lot of Scotty’s ideas got squashed thankfully. Maybe the state leaders are waking up to things a bit.

situation is kind of stagnant here still

11 deaths in SA which is the highest so far and more than the first year and a half 3,777 cases. 290 in hospital and 29 in ICU. Apparently 15pc are presenting with other things the rest are for Covid admissions.

892 cases in ACT. 62 in hospital 3 in ICU.

30,825 and 25 deaths for NSW. 2,781 in hospital. 212 in ICU.

21,966 in Vic 15 deaths and 1,206 in hospital. 122 in ICU.

459 in NT and 54 in hospital 1 in ICU

927 for TAS 14 in hospital and 3 in ICU.

WA has five and are still seeing some local cases pop up. 

• Like 1

Wait, the PM thinks kids can drive forklifts???? Oy! My dad had a forklift for his business. Each of his operators took a special class and then only operated with his supervision until they had proven themselves. The office manager wasn't allowed to touch that thing! So.damn.stupid. I swear politicians, regardless of nation of origin, are some of the dumbest, most evil, pond scum, pus spewers on the planet!

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 8:21 PM, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Two of my dogs have been sneezing this week and sleeping more than normal. I wonder if we gave them Covid.

Even if we pass it back and forth I’m not killing them, so maybe we’re just stuck with Covid now for a while.

I remember when I had a pet rabbit as a child, we were told it could get a cold from a human.  Yeah, I am not euthanizing my dog, either.  My mental health is suffering enough, and my dog is my therapy sometimes.  I think a lot of humans feel that way.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TCB said:

Has anybody watched the National Geographic ‘The First Wave’ documentary?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/pages/topic/the-first-wave-documentary

We had nothing as bad as New York and what is portrayed in the film, but I was in tears for most of it. So many memories of the types of feelings we experienced.

I can only watch it a bit at a time and process it because I also cry through the whole thing. If you have a Roku it’s free on National Geographic or ABC, it’s also on Hulu.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

@TCB, are you not at peak hospitalizations again? My neighbor works the ICU covid floor and things are rough here. We’re not back to mobile morgue, but people board in the ER. 

We are really busy in the ICU but not as many Covid as a month or so ago. We had a really bad Delta wave and Omicron is only getting going here. All around us schools are closing etc because of it, but it hasn’t gotten that bad here yet. Hospitals in the whole state are crazy busy and things are stretched really thin. Not sure if we have it to come, or if we have more immunity from our months of Delta. Our vax rate is about 45% so not great.

• Like 7

Michigan update: 33,000+ over two days. The general consensus is that it has not peaked yet (though we have had days much higher than this), and of course deaths are lagging. The prediction is another three to four weeks left in this surge. I am weary.

We are planning a LOT of outdoor, travel, road trip, great landscapes vacations and sailing, lots of sailing. This winter is just frigid and icy. Worse than any of the last five winters, bowling winds, very little blue sky. We haven't been able to do any of our winter sports activities so by the time spring comes, we are going to be stir crazy.

Our new, first road trip will include, Badlands, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Black Hills again, Custer State Park, and Agate Fossil Bed National Monument. We have decided to wait and do Yellowstone in the fall after school resumes. May 1st might be too chilly for the boys to do any longer trails since they prefer not to hike in parkas and heavy gear. I spend a lot of time planning out every aspect just to keep myself distracted.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 4