• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/coronavirus-washington-cases-increase-70-death-toll-remains-10/XIDPHMLVOJAAREQ5YCL75367PU/
“SEATTLE — The number of statewide coronavirus cases rose to 70 Thursday, up from 39 on Wednesday, with a another fatal case in King County bringing to death toll in Washington to 11.

Of the 70 cases, 51 are in King County, 18 in Snohomish County and one in Grant County.

And because of the rise in potential exposures, more schools and businesses announced campus closures.

• Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler issued an emergency orderto Washington state health insurers requiring them to waive copays and deductibles for anyone requiring testing for coronavirus.
  • Public Health - Seattle & King County issued new guidelines Wednesday that included advising at-risk populations, including people over 60 and pregnant women, to avoid large gatherings. It also encouraged employers to allow people to work from home when possible.
  • Kaiser Permanente launched a coronavirus vaccine study in Seattle. Follow this link to complete the survey.
  • Seattle and King County public health officials urged businesses to allow employees to work remotely if possible.
  • Multiple schools have been closing for deep cleaning after potential coronavirus exposure.
  • The state is readying new facilities to quarantine those exposed to the virus, including a motel in Kent and modular housing units in White Center.”
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Plum said:

Your state health board might publish it. Mine had said they were only going to report positive tests, but changed their direction and started posting weekly updates. Just yesterday they posted a whopping 14 tests came back negative. (1 positive reported this morning) With 208 currently under monitoring and 216 cases completed monitoring without symptoms. 

http://dpbh.nv.gov/coronavirus/

Our state will only be posting number of cases. I just got the webpage today and bookmarked it.

If you're asked to quarantine....quarantine! 😡

"Health officials say a DHMC employee who traveled to Italy recently was being asked to self-quarantine, but instead attended a private social event on Friday in White River Junction. He tested positive Saturday. New Hampshire’s state epidemiologist says more than 100 people attended the private party but only a handful had close enough contact to warrant being quarantined."

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Vt-and-NH-health-officials-asking-people-to-monitor-568479281.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/oakland-school-closes-over-potential-coronavirus-exposure/2248347/
“On Thursday, Action Day Primary Plus in San Jose sent a letter to parents that the school will be closed until Monday after learning a teacher tested positive for coronavirus.“

ETA:

Parents posted on Facebook that it’s the Moorpark location.

Edited by Arcadia

Hmm lots happened overnight 

Thanks Arcadia I had a feeling they might have been jumping the gun on the cruise ship.

Bethlehem in Israel is in lockdown from midnight -  mentioned up thread 

1st death in UK, 25 new cases (total 115)

WHO chief Tedros says he's concerned some countries are not doing enough to stop coronavirus, saying: "This is NOT a drill .. This is a time for pulling out all the stops" (No kidding!  Pity you didn’t say that a bit earlier I think)

Palestinian authority has declared a state of emergency - all schools and museums to close

BREAKING: Iranian diplomat Hossein Sheikholeslam, former member of parliament and Iran's former ambassador to Syria, has died of coronavirus

2 cases in San Francisco due to community spread

Eu parliaments next meeting will be held in Belgium not France 

769 new cases and 41 deaths in Italy - total 3858 and 148 dead 😞

11 new cases in Westchester County and 2 in New York City

1st case in Tennessee 

44 new in Netherlands - total 82

97,385 cases worldwide 3,356 deaths

outside mainland China is just short of 17,000

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

1st case in Tennessee 

Tennessee 😞 https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/weather/tennessee-tornado-wednesday/index.html

“(CNN)Two powerful tornadoes with winds up to 175 mph unleashed much of the destruction that left at least 24 people dead this week in central Tennessee.

An EF-4 tornado hit Putnam County, and anEF-3 tornado slammed Davidson and Wilson counties before dawn Tuesday, the National Weather Service confirmed Wednesday. 

Twenty-four people were killed and hundreds of buildings were destroyed when the tornadoes tore through the state.”

• Sad 3

https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/cruise-ship-is-held-off-california-coast-for-virus-testing-03-05-2020

“A Coast Guard helicopter lowered test kits onto the Grand Princess by rope as the vessel lay at anchor off Northern California, and authorities said the results would be available on Friday. Princess Cruise Lines said fewer than 100 people aboard had been identified for testing.

“The ship will not come on shore until we appropriately assess the passengers,” California Gov. Gavin Newsom said.”

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

@Renal I think you are in NM(?).

Texas is only posting number of cases as well.

Yes, I'm in NM. I'm actually driving to TX come Sunday or Monday. I'm staying with my parents for a month, but am there for GHC and TTD conferences. I'm curious if the conferences will still go on. TTD is in April, so there's time to figure that out. But, GHC is next week... Either way, I'm still going to be with my parents (Central Texas).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Thanks. I heard the interview the President did with Hannity and he said the WHO is probably wrong about the 3.4% rate. Personally, he thinks it’s under 1%. And I think that the 3% is more true of the over 60 adults, so if you think about it, his viewers on Fox for that interview are probably the ones most at risk while he poo-poos the seriousness of it.

I think I read that most other countries are testing tens of thousands weekly.

I realize that lots of people aren’t getting too ill from this, but I don’t think he understands that they’re still infecting others.

It's true older people are more vulnerable, but case fatality rates are much, much higher than any of the figures you mentioned. Here's a chart from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/ broken down by age group. It's scary to think of older folks feeling reassured when neither of those low figures are remotely close to the numbers we currently have for their age groups.

Age of Coronavirus Deaths

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19. 

confirmed cases 
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old 
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old 

8.0%
60-69 years old 

3.6%
50-59 years old 

1.3%
40-49 years old 

0.4%
30-39 years old 

0.2%
20-29 years old 

0.2%
10-19 years old 

0.2%
0-9 years old 

no fatalities 
Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BeachGal said:

They make UV boxes that can be used to disinfect phones and electronics. I think a lot of places have sold out. From what I understand, the light must be no more than 2-3 cm away from whatever you're cleaning and it needs to shine for a period of time.

I use the less sophisticated and probably cheaper plastic baggies method. 😄 Just carry a few with me and change it out every now and then.

I have used plastic bags that come as wrappers from mail order items (if not suspect now for harboring the very virus one wants protection against). 

Then before disposal they become pooper scooper bags.  

So they get triple service and I feel better about them 😃

• Like 1

My daughter’s school cancelled her team’s spring break trip to CA.  Teams that are traveling to Florida for break have not had their trips cancelled.
Tufts has also cancelled team trips to CA this spring break.  I am expecting my son’s school to cancel his team’s CA trip, too.   

2 hours ago, brehon said:

Oh happy happy joy joy! Caring for the city’s coffers, oops, I mean, people is always front and center on the mayor’s and Council’s collective mind. 

I don't think you're considering the importance of the hand sanitizer enabling.

ETA: Mayor A. could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by handing out free hand sanitizer to the homeless as a good will gesture.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Meanwhile up in Seattle, next weekend's Emerald City Comic-Con is NOT going to be cancelled or rescheduled. Yep. An event that brings in 100,000 people, crammed like sardines into the convention center, is not being cancelled in Seattle, the metropolitan area with the highest number of deaths and reported cases. Just wash your hands or don't go if you are high risk.  Most of the big publishers, like DC Comics, have pulled out as have several big vendors. I'm not sure what the big name movie stars are going to do, but most artists and writers have cancelled. 

It will be ... uh ... “interesting” ... to see developments on this.

who pulls out

how well attended it ends up being

seems like it would be suited to a virtual venue... people may need comic and comedic relief, but it doesn’t necessarily need to be up close and personal.

Seems like a lot of material possible to milk for DC / Marvel type movies right in the idea of crowds of people attending a comic convention in midst of a budding epidemic.  

@mathnerd

https://abc7news.com/health/live-coronavirus-updates-covid-19-news/5906450/
“2:00 p.m.

Santa Clara County health officials report six additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 and updated recommendations on how to stay safe

Three of the new patients are men and the three other are women, officials say they have a total of 20 cases in the county. Public Health officer Sara Cody shared new recommendations to slow the spread in the community and to protect those who are most vulnerable. Cody advises employees to minimize travel and large gatherings.”

• Sad 1

“JUST IN: Lowell High School in San Francisco is the latest school in the Bay Area to close due to coronavirus concerns. http://nbcbay.com/ePzRWXt”

ETA:

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/03/05/lowell-high-school-san-francisco-closed-coronavirus/
“SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Lowell High School in San Francisco was shut down Thursday after district officials learned that the relative of a Lowell student is being treated for coronavirus, according to an email sent out by the school..

The school issued an email Thursday afternoon to Lowell High School families regarding the possible exposure to the coronavirus via the student in question.”

Edited by Arcadia

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Yes, I'm in NM. I'm actually driving to TX come Sunday or Monday. I'm staying with my parents for a month, but am there for GHC and TTD conferences. I'm curious if the conferences will still go on. TTD is in April, so there's time to figure that out. But, GHC is next week... Either way, I'm still going to be with my parents (Central Texas).

(Sorry I misspelled your name!  I need to start wearing my readers.  😀)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Well, lots of neighbors, friends, and coworkers are coming down with something. I don’t know if it is influenza round 2, or covid-19, but I have had several friends say they got hit and aren’t getting off the couch. 😔 

Where are you located?

9 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Where are you located?

West coast, community spread area. 

I suspect we are starting to see the initial rise as our doctor’s office sent out a blast saying don’t show up with respiratory symptoms, use teledoc instead. If symptoms are unmanageable at home, use options B and C. But, essentially, mild illness = handle it yourself, don’t ask for testing. The state is reserving them for severe (hospitalized) illness.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

So what do you guys think about this idea?

Next week is spring break for my college kids (they live at home) we were originally planning a few staycation type activities while they are off. We are in rural Ohio, but the activities would be in a city, no hotel stays. Would you still do them?

I thought if we don't do the indoor activities we planned, maybe we could still go to the zoo if the weather cooperates and just not go into the buildings? I don't want to scrap everything since there are any confirmed cases in our area, but I also heard on our local news today that Ohio has not even been doing its own testing, just sending a limited number of tests out of state.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, saraha said:

Next week is spring break for my college kids (they live at home) we were originally planning a few staycation type activities while they are off. We are in rural Ohio, but the activities would be in a city, no hotel stays. Would you still do them?

I thought if we don't do the indoor activities we planned, maybe we could still go to the zoo if the weather cooperates and just not go into the buildings? I don't want to scrap everything since there are any confirmed cases in our area, but I also heard on our local news today that Ohio has not even been doing its own testing, just sending a limited number of tests out of state.

I would probably stick to no-touch/low-touch activities and not eat at the zoo.  Unless we hear otherwise, we'll be visiting our art museum next week because the art museum is a no-touching allowed place. I'm skipping the children's museum until after spring break (they usually close for a deep clean after spring break crowds have come through). 

9 minutes ago, saraha said:

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/  This is Ohio's response page.  There are lot of people in quarantine or who have completed quarantine. They aren't testing a lot of people yet. I don't think they are seeing many people who fit the symptoms yet, just some people who are quarantine because of travel. 

We are still traveling domestically but carefully very soon. If we were planning a trip a couple of weeks or a month out, I would be more concerned. There is just no way to know if staying home or going is safer if where you live or where you're going hasn't had cases. 

2 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

If you're asked to quarantine....quarantine! 😡

Yes. Do we have any laws enforcing the quarantines?

“Reckless disregard” fr the safety of others?😡

videos from China showing people being dragged from their apartments were apparently showing results of people having violated voluntary at home quarantine 

2 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

"Health officials say a DHMC employee who traveled to Italy recently was being asked to self-quarantine, but instead attended a private social event on Friday in White River Junction. He tested positive Saturday. New Hampshire’s state epidemiologist says more than 100 people attended the private party but only a handful had close enough contact to warrant being quarantined."

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Vt-and-NH-health-officials-asking-people-to-monitor-568479281.html

That’s very disruptive at the very least to that handful who now have to be quarantined because the person chose not to stay in his quarantine. I’m sure stressful. Probably costly, and perhaps even fatal. 😡

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

“JUST IN: Lowell High School in San Francisco is the latest school in the Bay Area to close due to coronavirus concerns. http://nbcbay.com/ePzRWXt”

ETA:

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/03/05/lowell-high-school-san-francisco-closed-coronavirus/
“SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Lowell High School in San Francisco was shut down Thursday after district officials learned that the relative of a Lowell student is being treated for coronavirus, according to an email sent out by the school..

The school issued an email Thursday afternoon to Lowell High School families regarding the possible exposure to the coronavirus via the student in question.”

I was just coming in to post this.  This is my alma mater.

41 minutes ago, saraha said:

I think (just a guess as no one can foretell future) u would probably be okay at zoo type activities.  Don’t touch eyes, nose, mouth )face) without thoroughly washing hands.  Keep a little distance from strangers.  Maybe in buildings too would be okay if you use good sanitation and some social distancing.  

(You could maybe add some civic duty by showing others how your family cleans your hands carefully — instead of being afraid to seem weird. Thus helping others to feel okay to wash their hands carefully too.  It is a good idea at a zoo for other reasons than Covid-19.  Zoonotic illnesses, flu, etc etc) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

The second video on the page is raw video of a press conference arranged by family members who have loved ones inside the Life Care Center or have lost loved ones.  (about 52 minutes)

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/snohomish-county-residents-should-avoid-gatherings-of-50-or-more

The stories are very disturbing, although many people keep praising the staff.  

This is a horrible situation, and as one man said, if they can't handle an outbreak at a relatively small facility, how will outbreaks at larger places be handled???

34 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I would probably stick to no-touch/low-touch activities and not eat at the zoo.  Unless we hear otherwise, we'll be visiting our art museum next week because the art museum is a no-touching allowed place. I'm skipping the children's museum until after spring break (they usually close for a deep clean after spring break crowds have come through). 

My favorite local art museum has cancelled all events though they still allow visitors. Definitely check before going.

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I did not buy enough chocolate chips for this. *adding them to grocery list* Here’s hoping that everyone is so focused on buying water, toilet paper, rice, etc. that there are still some at the store when I send Dh this weekend.

I live very near a Ghiradelli outlet 😉

Half my chocolate stash from CVS’s valentine day 75% sale was eaten yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Copied from Worldometers.info:
Bold added.

NqD1T5B9_bigger.jpg

We're concerned that in some countries the level of political commitment & the actions that demonstrate that commitment don't match the level of the threat we all face.

This is
NOT a drill

NOT the time to give up

NOT a time for excuses

This is a time for pulling out all the stops

Edited by Pen
  • Like 5

Just now, Pen said:
Copied from Worldometers.info:

NqD1T5B9_bigger.jpg

We're concerned that in some countries the level of political commitment & the actions that demonstrate that commitment don't match the level of the threat we all face.

This is
NOT a drill

NOT the time to give up

NOT a time for excuses

This is a time for pulling out all the stops

And we can do what we can on individual level, at least. Which could make a big difference if others do too.  Even if we don’t know the others who far away are doing what they can do.  It adds up.