Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

12 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’d really like to see the media quit using the term “panic buying”. I realize there are a few extreme cases here and there, but people were finally told to keep 2 weeks worth of stuff on hand. That doubles to triples the purchases of “normal” people this past week.  OF COURSE that would deplete stock.  Random sprinklings of real jerks doesn’t make that panic buying.

Calling it panic buying can increase the random panic buying. 

I read an article about so called panic buying yesterday with accompanying photos of shoppers with full carts. When I scrutinised the contents of the carts, though, they looked so normal. Some had a bag of kitty litter or a box of diapers, both of which take up a lot of space but are totally normal daily purchases. Same for a single flat of water bottles. Absolutely nothing looked out of the ordinary or “panicky”; I can imagine parents of large families must often feel misunderstood in their buying habits. The photos seemed out of context, at any rate.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’d really like to see the media quit using the term “panic buying”. I realize there are a few extreme cases here and there, but people were finally told to keep 2 weeks worth of stuff on hand. That doubles to triples the purchases of “normal” people this past week.  OF COURSE that would deplete stock.  Random sprinklings of real jerks doesn’t make that panic buying.

Calling it panic buying can increase the random panic buying. 

It's incredibly patronizing, too.

Without adequate testing and a coherent public health response, we're doing the best we can by getting ready both to take care of those close to us and to ease the coming burden on health care systems.

When Dr. Nancy Messonier was the first public official to say hey, talk with your family, think about childcare, prepare your household, my feminist critique was that she probably had more experience than any of the men at that press conference in what it takes to manage childcare, family meals and household cleaning. Then the CDC walked back her comments.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Today vice prime minister Sun Chunlan #孙春兰 visited Wuhan Qingshan Kaiyuan residential community. It’s meant to be a PR show. Residents were not allowed to come out, but things went out of control. They started shouting, “Fake! Everything is fake!”

- seeing this reported a lot.  Obviously don’t understand the language to know if it’s true (there’s a video) but seems to be fairly widely reported.

They really are saying it’s fake. All a show. Not real. Guess heads will roll 😞

ETA:

I watched the clip on The Guardian 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

Why aren't we using WHO tests, or enlisting more corporate and international suppliers to fill in while the CDC test gets off the ground? 

I get how rolling out something this is complicated and mistakes can happen. I don't get why, in 6 weeks, we haven't pulled out all the stops. 

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

Why indeed. It's mind-boggling. 

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I can't decide if it's massive incompetence or intentional slow walking of widespread testing. Or perhaps some of both.

57 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I keep wondering that too.  I can’t imagine our CDC is that incompetent.  But maybe they are.  

WSJ (paywall, went through google) https://www.wsj.com/articles/hospitals-companies-race-to-develop-tests-to-spot-coronavirus-linked-illness-11583245423

“Updated March 3, 2020 1:04 pm ET

Testing for the new coronavirus in the U.S. may ramp up quickly after the Food and Drug Administration said it would speed approval of tests from hospital and public-health laboratories to augment the limited supply from the federal government.

At a White House briefing Monday evening, FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn said he expects the U.S. to have capacity for close to one million tests by the end of this week, from both public-health labs and private suppliers.

“We’ve heard from multiple companies and multiple academic centers, and we expect to have a substantial increase in the number of tests, this week, next week and throughout the month,” he said.

The New York State Department of Health received FDA emergency authorization Saturday to start using its own test for patients, becoming the first nonfederal entity to gain such approval. 

Other hospitals and health agencies around the country are working on their own diagnostics in addition to those in development from companies including Abbott Laboratories,Qiagen NV, Co-Diagnostics Inc. and bioMérieuxSA .”

• Like 1

Please don’t quote.  I may delete the more personal bits below:

I know articles with symptoms have been posted, but can’t go back to find them.  Because, oh my goodness, I feel like a truck ran over me.  And the cough.  😨

Remind me what to do when sick?  I don’t want to be alarmist.  Not in an area with known community spread or cases, but some are showing up close-ish now.

Kids and DH have been running low grade fevers with cough all week.  I was fine.  DD took a turn for the worse last night and needed the nebulizer.  Temp is just hovering at 100.5 so not high.

It hit me hard yesterday evening.  I needed an emergency inhaler, temp is low grade now, too (but feels higher).  Body aches. Cough.

DH and DS are just low grade temps and very mildly ill.  DS is prone to pneumonia, so I hope it stays this way.

It feels crazy to think we have CV.  I really doubt that.  It’s probably one of the many bugs going around.  We all just had strep a few weeks ago.  It’s been a sick winter for us.  I would suspect something else is the culprit.

But - we won’t go out now.  

Should she and I (the sickest) confine to one room?  

We have health workers coming for my elderly mom today, and cleaners.  First world problem.  I think I should let them know?  And our cleaner depends on the income, so she may want to come anyway.  We are thinking of paying her regardless of whether she works. 

Should I call the doc?  I could call the pedi for DD, obviously.  And I just saw my regular doc yesterday during an appt for someone else.  I was fine.  She and I talked for 45 minutes about kids and DH.  Gaaaah. I didn’t even have the low temp issue.

What would you do? I need a What to Do if You Get Sick primer.

• Sad 13

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I can't decide if it's massive incompetence or intentional slow walking of widespread testing. Or perhaps some of both.

The other thing I've wondered is if there has been some kind of policy that prohibits the CDC from accepting help from the international community during this crisis. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

WSJ (paywall, went through google) https://www.wsj.com/articles/hospitals-companies-race-to-develop-tests-to-spot-coronavirus-linked-illness-11583245423

Testing for the new coronavirus in the U.S. may ramp up quickly after the Food and Drug Administration said it would speed approval of tests from hospital and public-health laboratories to augment the limited supply from the federal government.

At a White House briefing Monday evening, FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn said he expects the U.S. to have capacity for close to one million tests by the end of this week, from both public-health labs and private suppliers.

“We’ve heard from multiple companies and multiple academic centers, and we expect to have a substantial increase in the number of tests, this week, next week and throughout the month,” he said.

The New York State Department of Health received FDA emergency authorization Saturday to start using its own test for patients, becoming the first nonfederal entity to gain such approval. 

Other hospitals and health agencies around the country are working on their own diagnostics in addition to those in development from companies including Abbott Laboratories,Qiagen NV, Co-Diagnostics Inc. and bioMérieuxSA .”

But why so many attempts to re-invent the wheel when the WHO test has been around for months now and is being used worldwide?????

• Like 8

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid19-coronavirus-13-cases-largest-single-day-spike-mar-6-12509246

“SINGAPORE: Singapore announced 13 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday (Mar 6), the highest daily jump since the outbreak started here.

This brings the total number of new coronavirus cases in Singapore to 130 since the first case was confirmed on Jan 23.

... Out of the new cases, nine are linked to the cluster involving a private dinner function at SAFRA Jurongon Feb 15. 

Seventeen cases have been linked to this cluster so far. In a briefing on Friday, the Ministry of Health's (MOH) communicable diseases director Vernon Lee pointed out that not all the cases were at the dinner. 

"We are still doing investigations. Not all of the cases were at the dinner. Some were family members or had links, but they were not necessarily at the dinner”

6 minutes ago, Acadie said:

The other thing I've wondered is if there has been some kind of policy that prohibits the CDC from accepting help from the international community during this crisis. 

That would explain a lot.  But *#*^$^!!  This is what having xenophobes and nationalists in charge gets us...  At the rate this is being mishandled, I'm starting to worry we're going to end up with the highest death rate in the developed world.  The level of head-in-the-sand mixed with what seems like willful ignorance and gross incompetence is breathtaking.  😢

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

I'm not sure what I would do to be honest, but I would call the doctor you were at yesterday and let her know.  See if she has some advice on what you should do?  I would let the health care work and the cleaner know so they can make an informed decision.  And...offer to pay her to stay away if you can swing it.

So sorry -- I know you are worried...

Edited by mlktwins
Deleted quote
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Hoping you all feel better soon! 

I'd call the doc, and talk through what kind of symptoms would require medical care, and where to get it (many countries are saying don't just show up at a doctor's office or ER, but call first), and what they recommend for separating family members. If you have a pulmonologist, you could also call their office and see what they recommend.

Dr. John Campbell suggests keeping a window open in the sick person's room, if weather allows, to mix fresh air, but definitely make sure you stay warm. Do you have more than one bathroom? You could designate one for those who are currently sick. If not, disinfectant wipes or spray bottle and paper towel the surface people touch after use. 

We don't take meds to reduce fevers unless they're getting too high, and have even been known to bundle up in blankets to bring a fever a little higher to fight an infection. Your body is doing good work! The usual supports will help--lots of fluids, vitamin C, fruit/veg/soup if you can.

Do you have any zinc gluconate on hand, or can you order Cold EEZE? Our pediatrician emailed this to us--they are a mainstream practice and only make recommendations based on research.

1. Keep Zinc on hand
    1. As with elderberry, there is a lot of experimental data that zinc can inhibit the activity of coronavirus and influenza in a laboratory. Start zinc lozenges at the first sign of a cold and continue to take them daily for 7 days. 
    2. Zinc gluconate (the active ingredient in Cold EEZE) has been studied intensively since a 1996 Cleveland Clinic study found that adults with cold symptoms from a variety of viral sources taking 6 lozenges a day (2 lozenges 3x per day) had a reduction of symptoms from 7.6 days to 4.6 days. 
    3. Over the years, some studies have continued to show benefit while others have found little more than a placebo effect.  The reason for this disparity is possibly that zinc works only if the total daily dose is 75-90 mg and if there are no interfering substances that bind zinc or reduce its potency. Two lozenges of Cold EEZE three times a day is enough.
    4. The reason we feel ill with a cold is that when the virus ends up in our nose or our mouth, it replicates rapidly and binds to receptors in our mouth and nose causing leaky blood vessels (the runny nose), inflammation (the achiness and the fever) and irritated throat and lungs (the cough).  Zinc competes with cold viruses for those same receptors. 
    5. We are cautiously optimistic that taking 2 lozenges 3x per day in adults may help reduce the side effects of colds, influenza and coronavirus with minimal side effects.  Whether it works with COVID 19 is not clear but there is little downside except for cost.
    6. The ideal way to take zinc lozenges is to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx
    7. There are many zinc products on the market.  We are currently only recommending the lozenges – not the pills, gummies or nose spray. And don’t use Cold EEZE for longer than 7-10 days.  Long term use can lead to copper deficiency.
    8. What about young children?  There are no data in children under 12 but it seems reasonable to try 1 zinc lozenge 3x per day in the 6-11 year olds.
Edited by Acadie
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Pence announced yesterday that the U.S. will fall far, far short of the promised one million tests. He said 75,000 instead.

4 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

That would explain a lot.  But *#*^$^!!  This is what having xenophobes and nationalists in charge gets us...  At the rate this is being mishandled, I'm starting to worry we're going to end up with the highest death rate in the developed world.  The level of head-in-the-sand mixed with what seems like willful ignorance and gross incompetence is breathtaking.  😢

I'm out of likes right now, but -- yes!

• Like 3

More info related to pets and animals. I don't have links. The texts of these emails was posted by a vet on another board I belong to.

From the American Animal Hospital Association:

AAHA wrote:

Coronavirus update: Pets are safe . . . but wash your hands

Reports that a dog in Hong Kong repeatedly tested “weak positive” for the COVID-19 virus fueled worldwide concern that pets could indeed get the new superbug. While that concern appears to be groundless (at least so far), it does raise a question.

Why did the dog test positive, however weakly? One theory is that while the virus may have been present on the dog, the dog did not actually have the virus. Scientists know that coronaviruses can live on surfaces and objects, although not for how long.

So wash your hands.

That advice comes courtesy of the World Health Organization (WHO), which is doing its best to allay the fears of pet owners by stating on its website that, “At present, there is no evidence that companion animals/pets such as dogs or cats can be infected with the new coronavirus.”

From the American Veterinary Medical Association:

AVMA wrote:

No, a cattle vaccine cannot prevent COVID-19

A Facebook post implying that a cattle vaccine can prevent infection with the novel coronavirus spreading among humans has been widely shared, but the vaccine prevents diarrhea in calves caused by bovine coronavirus, which is an entirely different pathogen from the one that causes COVID-19. "Under no circumstance should people vaccinate themselves with any animal vaccine," said veterinarian Jeremy Schefers of the University of Minnesota. "It's dangerous and likely won't work."

• Like 1

Spryte—I would call those due to come to your house today and let them know you are ill so that they can make the choice for themselves. I would call your dr and see if he will telephone in antivirals for your household. Do you have a peak flow meter or O2 sat meter to stay on top of breathing in a quantitative way? I usually don’t realize how bad I am getting until late in the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teresa in MO said:

I am wondering the same thing.  I have not had my D3 checked for 2 years.  It was on the low side then and my doctor did nothing.  How much do you usually take?

4 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

How much vitamin D3 as a preventative do y’all think?

I posted a bunch about Vitamin D3 (and its friends A, K (especially K2), and probably E) upthread here and also on another thread someone had started about D3 (not related to Covid-19).

The goal is to get our own personal levels optimum, and this can depend on what we can get from sun where we live (from sun if you can do that safely and effectively is likely best from POV immunity), and other factors such as personal usage and metabolism. 

I am in place and circumstances where I can’t get adequate D from sun and I know from testing that I tend to be very low (even from conventional medical view—like single digit levels) without supplementing.

*Personally* (I want to clarify that I am sharing what I am doing myself based on my research, and self knowledge, not giving advice to anyone else)  I used to take 4000IU D3 daily as a maintenance dose.

In light of Covid-19, I am currently taking

10,000 to 15,000 IU per day of D3.  Which is what I concluded my own personal dose should be.   (I have read that taking 60,000IU once per week should also be  effective.   However, in studies I saw on Vitamin D and influenza, occasional very high mega doses with, for example, 50,000IU at once seemed to increase susceptibility!   The message seemed to be that consistent dosing was better than occasional megadosing .) 

3 times per week I am taking 25,000 IU  of  preformed Vitamin A .   (With goal being of roughy balancing the D3/A level over course of week — but letting D3 be somewhat higher).  

Daily I am taking 1 gel cap of LifeExtension SuperK which has 3 types of K in it.  (I can’t recall amounts right now-/and I try to take it at a different time of day than the D3 because D can block K1 absorption.   I also have a Thorne company bottle of liquid K2-4 for extra K2 if I feel I need it (I like this K2-4 very much, but the bottle is hard to use—the price is $$$ and has now gone $$$$$ unfortunately). K2-4 does not get blocked by D3 afaik ) 

I am eating a small handful of sunflower seeds daily for my vitamin E

How much should we up the dose if we’re sick?  I usually stick to the lower amounts so what do y’all think? 

I am hoping to stave off getting sick (or seriously sick anyway as I am in age range plus health issues that would put me at greater risk of more severe case) with my regimen.  

However, if I get sick I might try a single 50,000IU vitamin D3 “knock out dose” along with going up to Bowel tolerance on Vitamin C.  I would not do 50,000IU of D more than a single time because it is dangerous to get too much VitaminD.  

Other than the possible one time “knock out dose” I would continue with my same consistent daily D3 at its upper 15,000IU level, along with its friends (A, K, E) dosing.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

@Spryte call your dr and let her know & see what she says.   I just walked in from the doctor. I still have the flu & im wheezing.  I was NOT the only person wearing a mask at the dr office this time!  Apparently the flu is kicking back up here. 

Oh, I’m so sorry you are sick, too. Flu B is rampant here.  This feels like flu.  The body aches.  Oh my.  I’ll text my doc now, and call the kids’ pedi.

Window is open, DD is doing a nebulizer, and I’m ordering zinc lozenges from instacart. Taking Vit C and D, and more supplements.

I haven’t  seen anyone mention this, but my doc always recommends we keep Gaia Herbs Quick Defense on hand.  YMMV. Take it 5 times a day at onset, for two days.

Also - anyone else with adrenal issues?  Don’t forget to stress dose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

Three students being tested at UCLA.  Hoping they just had a common cold and are taking precautionary measures...

https://dailybruin.com/2020/03/06/three-students-being-tested-for-covid-19-amid-increased-university-precaution/

The chancellor’s message. Hopefully they get back the test results fast https://chancellor.ucla.edu/messages/ucla-students-being-tested-covid-19/

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Spryte—I would call those due to come to your house today and let them know you are ill so that they can make the choice for themselves. I would call your dr and see if he will telephone in antivirals for your household. Do you have a peak flow meter or O2 sat meter to stay on top of breathing in a quantitative way? I usually don’t realize how bad I am getting until late in the game.

I will let them know.  I think I will tell the cleaners not to come, and I will pay her regardless this time.  I know she depends on the income, and have no idea if she has health insurance.

I’ll ask DH to get out the pulse ox. Good idea.

DH was just diagnosed with high BP last week.  I don’t want him to catch this.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pen said:

I don’t know that this would be readily available to most of us? Who does this?

Oxygen/ozone therapy is finally gaining steam in the US and MDs and other health practitioners are using it. There are many ways to administer it. Type in ozone therapy and your state and you can see who does it in your area.

I learned about it after reading about its use with Ebola. (Interesting story there with WHO.) A virologist I spoke to this week believes it would work on the virus causing Covid. I will use ozone autohemotherapy (blood removal-ozone/oxygen mixed in-reinjected back in). The procedure takes about 1/2 an hour. Direct intravenous (DIV), however, takes about 2” for the injection. The problem with DIV is that in a small number, it has caused scarring of the vein. DIV is what they used on Ebola. The small amount of ozone creates ozonides in the body and it’s the ozonides that do the work. The ozonides can remain in the body for relatively long periods of time depending on the type of administration. I’m not sure how long or which type. Trying to figure that out.

It’s also extremely promising for Lyme disease but in those cases, a type of dialysis would probably be best. There’s an MD around Palo Alto who does this. Matt Cook.

It can also unfurl the tightened tendons that cause Dupuytren’s Contracture in the hand. I developed the Dupey’s nodules about 5 years ago, and if it gets worse, I’ll just get an injection into my tendon. I fast for autophagy and that has helped one nodule go away (IMO).

Oxygen/ozone therapy is massively underutilized, IMO. Most people hear ozone and freak out not understanding how it’s made or used. It’s made with medical-grade oxygen and is never breathed into the lungs where it could be damaging in large enough quantities. (Using air instead of oxygen can also be very damaging because of the nitrogen in the air. Medical-grade oxygen is pure oxygen.) 

Ozone is what makes the air smell nice after a storm.

I would not think overwhelmed hospitals would be able to. Or willing even if not overwhelmed. It can be hard even to be allowed to take vitamins at conventional hospitals afaik. 

They won’t be willing.

Hadn’t known about this before. Thanks. It looks extremely interesting!!! 

Might help someone I know now. 

No anti-viral is as potent as what they’re finding in Agarikon. It’s been used since ancient times but it’s extremely difficult to find them. As a bonus, it’s a potent anti-bacterial, too.

Brazil nuts are also good . 

Some multivitamins would cover 200 micrograms selenium.

Others have none. 

The problem with Brazil nuts is that the amount of selenium can vary quite a bit. Some are too high and that can cause problems. It depends on the soil. So, during times when a virus is going around, I take a selenium pill, 200 mcg. Some multis have it but I rarely take multis.

Agree for once sick.  

Though again think finding someone who would do an IV in a Covid-19 infection situation would be tough.  I have only once ever had a doctor willing to. 

I know some MDs who use these on themselves as a preventive. Hydrogen peroxide, too.

Some cities have IV drip businesses that do this that are run by MDs and nurses. We go to one of those and will use IVC preventively. I don’t agree that vitamin C is ineffective. For some, maybe, but seems to work in my family. Some MDs used these years ago—before Linus Pauling—to treat all kinds of infections successfully. Some of the old-timey treatments worked very well.

????

PEMF stands for pulsed electromagnetic frequency therapy. It’s a magnetic field that’s created by an electrical charge. I bought a device years ago for my chronic lower back pain that was waking me at night. Took about 6-8 weeks but it worked very well. I only use it now to tamp down inflammation or treat pain. I also use it on my heart because I believe it is able to prevent blood from clumping. It can also modulate cytokine storm. NASA uses pemf to prevent muscle and bone loss and for other reasons. The guy who oversaw that at NASA used pemf to treat his back pain, too. 

43 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Please don’t quote.  I may delete the more personal bits below:

I

So sorry you are feeling sick. It's difficult to know what to do. I think it isn't that likely to be Covid19 if you haven't travelled/don't live in one of the more impacted areas, especially as the symptoms aren't that typical (how old are your kids?). But there is no way to know and with so little testing going on it is impossible to say how close other cases are to you.

I think for now I would try to stay as comfortable as possible (i.e. do what you normally would do to treat a flu or similar), try to limit exposure for other people as much as possible, and see a doctor right away if breathing problems get worse.

Hope all of you recover soon!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

But why so many attempts to re-invent the wheel when the WHO test has been around for months now and is being used worldwide?????

DUH. Money. To make money for US-based manufacturers. It's why they cannot guarantee the vaccine, once it's available, will be affordable. Profits over people.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

For those of you dealing with high blood pressure, you could try taking beet root capsules or a powder. Make sure to take enough capsules to get the right dose. The nitrates in the beets produce nitric oxide in your body which relaxes the arteries. Can take a few weeks to see changes. Doesn’t work for everyone but does help others.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/a-new-way-to-beet-high-blood-pressure

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Beachgal, my doc does ozone treatments.  My 16 yr old thought it was like a miracle when he was terribly ill.  I was amazed at the difference in how he felt after just one treatment.  Thanks for posting about it.

I am so glad you tried it! Personally, I think it should be used way, way more than it is, especially for viral infections!

I want to buy an ozone sauna. My husband just shakes his head but then later on after I get him to cough up the bucks, he’s a believer. 🙂

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 1

If you think you have Covid or flu, isolate yourself in a bedroom, ideally with its own bathroom. Crack a window and point a fan out to help blow out virus. Bleach solution can help destroy virus on surfaces, too. Eat your meals there and use bleach solution or a disinfectant liberally in bathroom and on door handles, knobs, etc. Stay hydrated and rest.

• Like 2

I just want to caution some of these levels of Vitamin D without supervision of a physician.  I used to think it was okay to take high doses of Vitamin D.  I routinely took 10,000 IU a day, until I suddenly developed high blood pressure and my glomerular filtration rate came back below normal.  I was promptly referred to a cardiologist, who immediately changed my Vitamin D.  High doses of Vitamin D cause an increase in calcium in the blood, leading to HBP and if left too long, kidney failure. Below is a table from Pharmacy Times that was compiled from the NIH.  The complete article is here.  

Dose of Vitamin D Blood Levels that the Dose Usually Yields    What to Expect
10,000 to 40,000 IU/day 500–600 nmol/L (200–240 ng/mL).

Toxicities: absorption of too much calcium and phosphorous. Soft tissue calcification. Renal failure
10,000 IU/day to 6,000 IU/Day 125–150 nmol/L (50–60 ng/mL) Possible toxicities listed above or listed below
5,000 I U/day 100–150 nmol/L (40–60 ng/mL),

above 125 is the official danger zone
increases in all-cause mortality, greater risk of cancer at some sites like the pancreas, greater risk of cardiovascular events, and more falls and fractures among the elderly
Below 4,000 IU/day 75–120 nmol/L or 30–48 ng/mL Bad things rarely happen in this range, but it is still possible.
The dose is variable but somewhere between
400 and 2,000 IU/day
≥50 nmol/L (≥20 ng/mL);

50 –75  nmol/L is the perfect serum level that covers the needs of 97.5% of the population.
  30–50 nmol/L (12–20 ng/mL). Inadequate levels
  <30 nmol/L (<12 ng/mL) This is considered a deficency:life is shortened, rickets in infants and children and osteomalacia in adults enerrgy levels are low, infections are common
Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

I will let them know.  I think I will tell the cleaners not to come, and I will pay her regardless this time.  I know she depends on the income, and have no idea if she has health insurance.

I’ll ask DH to get out the pulse ox. Good idea.

DH was just diagnosed with high BP last week.  I don’t want him to catch this.

{{Hugs}} I'm sorry you have so much illness at your house, and I think you are wonderful to pay your cleaner whether she comes or not.

• Like 2

https://www.oregonlive.com/health/2020/03/as-coronavirus-looms-kaiser-denies-it-is-running-low-on-safety-equipment-but-asks-state-for-help.html

"Ever since Kaiser Permanente Westside Medical Center put 70 employees into quarantine because of potential exposure to the virus, a handful of those workers have quietly and anonymously insisted that Kaiser is unprepared. It lacks some basic protective equipment, they claim, and is putting its own employees at risk." "The question of whether Kaiser is prepared took a twist last weekend when the company asked the state for help. In a transaction that came together largely because of the intervention of U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley, the Oregon Health Authority delivered 700 highly prized N-95 respirator masks and another 1,000 surgical masks to Kaiser."  "

“I know of one bsy Kaiser clinic that has four N-95s,” said one long-time nurse. ““I feel like Kaiser is woefully unprepared.”

Another employee, who works in a Kaiser hospital, said it’s the lack of training that scares him, which he blames on the federal government as much as Kaiser."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Plum said:

That is what MedCram said based on the studies he found about Vitamin D helping acute respiratory tract infection. 20-50 mg (800-2000 IU)daily is optimal. Anything more than that didn't make that much of a difference. Also it found a Bolus dose does not make a significant difference when fighting acute respiratory tract infections. 

Direct link to 2017 study:  https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/356/bmj.i6583.full.pdf

MedCram Video starting at where he explains the study: https://youtu.be/gmqgGwT6bw0?t=545

Yeah, I've never been able to get a level above 50, even with megadoses of D.  

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/state-to-continue-limiting-number-of-oregonians-eligible-for-testing.html

"Oregon’s state lab has the capacity to test 80 samples a day, which equates to about 40 people, said Dr. Dean Sidelinger, state health officer. Getting results for one person can take anywhere from one to four tests, Sidelinger said, and averages out to about two tests per person.

The federal government has come under fire for maintaining strict testing standards because numerous other countries with broad criteria for testing have identified hundreds of cases. As of Wednesday, the Oregon Health Authority had results for less than 50 people, even as state officials have said they believe there could be hundreds of cases in the state."

ETA: Read the entire article, if interested. It talks about people with known exposure not being able to be tested, and symptoms. Essentially, you have to be hospitalized at this point to get testing, and then it's a maybe. 

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Sad 1

Can you imagine if anything else but healthcare worked like this?

You want to buy an apple. You call a nearby grocery store to ask whether they have any and how much they cost. Nope. Call the farmers' market, they suggest. The farmer you reach says you should call a store in the next town, as he can't even find grafts to get an apple tree going. The store clerk tells you to call the USDA. The USDA tells you to call the state ag school. They're on break right now, but the person answering the phone suggests that you call an orchard. The orchard has never grown apples, only pears, and suggests you check Instacart for your area. Instacart has no mention of apples and won't answer your email. It's a good thing you can just eat other food.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

You want to buy an apple. You call a nearby grocery store to ask whether they have any and how much they cost. Nope. Call the farmers' market, they suggest. The farmer you reach says you should call a store in the next town, as he can't even find grafts to get an apple tree going. The store clerk tells you to call the USDA. The USDA tells you to call the state ag school. They're on break right now, but the person answering the phone suggests that you call an orchard. The orchard has never grown apples, only pears, and suggests you check Instacart for your area. Instacart has no mention of apples and won't answer your email. It's a good thing you can just eat other food.

Omg. Perfect.

@prairiewindmomma @Plum @MEmama @Pen

“The National Nurses United surveyed its membership about the level of preparedness they have seen at hospitals around the country, and of roughly 1,000 nurses who responded in California:

27 percent said their employers had a plan to isolate a patient with a possible infection of the novel coronavirus.

47 percent said they didn’t know if there was such a plan.

73 percent reported that they had access to N95 respirators on their unit.

47 percent said their units had powered air purifying respirators that could remove contaminants and supply purified air.

27 percent reported that their employer has sufficient personal protective equipment on hand to protect staff in the event of a rapid surge of people with coronavirus.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

@gardenmom5

@Laurie

https://www.chronicle.com/article/U-of-Washington-Cancels/248198/

“The University of Washington's flagship Seattle campus announced that it would cancel all in-person classes and move them online for at least the next few weeks. The university is the first major U.S. campus to take such drastic action amid rapidly growing fears of the novel coronavirus and the disease it causes, Covid-19.”

ETA: https://www.washington.edu/coronavirus/

“Update – 03/06/2020: As a way to increase precautionary health measures, such as social distancing, and ensure the successful conclusion of the quarter for UW students on all of our campuses, as of March 9, 2020, classes and finals will not be held in personfor the remainder of winter quarter, which ends March 20. Our campuses will remain open to serve all those who rely on our services, including hospitals and clinics, dining services, residence halls, and recreation and athletics facilities. Husky athletics events will proceed as scheduled. We plan to resume normal class operations when spring quarter begins March 30, pending public health guidance.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

MIT is canceling all events over 150 students until May 15. 

http://news.mit.edu/2020/letter-regarding-coronavirus-disease-0305?fbclid=IwAR2kWs1stPw8SrmZcE1Pc2lCMYuLPwK6bL46KNLBBd_RKF22UuTbJuP8MtE

Sacha is supposed to go to three sleepaway camps this summer and I think they will all end up cancelled. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@gardenmom5

@Laurie

https://www.chronicle.com/article/U-of-Washington-Cancels/248198/

“The University of Washington's flagship Seattle campus announced that it would cancel all in-person classes and move them online for at least the next few weeks. The university is the first major U.S. campus to take such drastic action amid rapidly growing fears of the novel coronavirus and the disease it causes, Covid-19.”

ETA: https://www.washington.edu/coronavirus/

“Update – 03/06/2020: As a way to increase precautionary health measures, such as social distancing, and ensure the successful conclusion of the quarter for UW students on all of our campuses, as of March 9, 2020, classes and finals will not be held in personfor the remainder of winter quarter, which ends March 20. Our campuses will remain open to serve all those who rely on our services, including hospitals and clinics, dining services, residence halls, and recreation and athletics facilities. Husky athletics events will proceed as scheduled. We plan to resume normal class operations when spring quarter begins March 30, pending public health guidance.”

That's a big step. Will the other colleges and universities in the area will follow suit? I'm watching the public schools too. Young adults staying home is one thing, but kids being home would be a huge disruption. I'm glad I don't have to do the cost-benefit analysis on that one.

my college kid cancelled his international spring break plans & is coming home instead, whew

But both big kids have amazing summer job plans- one an internship near his college that we need to find an apartment for. And one kiddo who will be working at her favorite summer camp as a first year counselor finally.

Really hope this is over by summer so those can carry on.

I’m a teacher. We have been asked to start planning for how we could do online learning or send work home.  If schools here get shut down, we will likely be making up the time in the summer, unless state Ed decides to waive the number of school days requirement.  Many schools are prepping for distance learning but lots of our students don’t have internet or computers at home. Our rural areas has many places with no access to internet.

unless everything gets shut down there will be a lot of unsupervised kids home during the day. Not to mention all the kids who get free lunch and breakfast at school

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Unfortunately, I find a lot of things in life in addition to sickness and injury care do work this way— though thankfully not apple buying!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Plum said:

A quick read shows that this is a 14 month long safety trial, after which efficacy trials would be done. I wonder if the timeline would be sped up if there are no red flags early in the safety trial. If this virus shows a seasonal pattern, ebbing in the summer and circulating again in the fall and winter, it could be causing disruption for a long time.

• Like 1