Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

... Only symptoms are cough, fever and short of breath.  But it is spring here and I and most other asthma patients will be getting short of breath and coughing.  Since a lot of us are on steriods, we also tend not to get fevers.  Can I say that CDC has really really really dropped the ball.  They were too concerned with chastising people who are on opioids and not enough time on true emergencies.

I remember reading that those with high blood pressure have a higher risk of dying from this than a person with cancer. My next door neighbor died of cancer 2.5 months ago, the day before my birthday. With asthma and hbp, my risk of dying is actually higher. Kind of humbling.

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

Do you guys have any idea what your state's capacity is for testing? 
Our state (Texas) just announced that once all our labs are up and running (by the end of March), they will be "able to process more than 125 Covid 19 tests per day."

We have a population of 28.7 million people. We have two busy international airports (Dallas #4th busiest and Houston #14th busiest). 

This seems low capacity given these statistics.  

No idea, but I just saw on the website that they ARE posting the number of tests. So far, they've done 10. All negative. 10. Yep. They are only testing high risk populations right now.

7 minutes ago, Renai said:

I remember reading that those with high blood pressure have a higher risk of dying from this than a person with cancer. My next door neighbor died of cancer 2.5 months ago, the day before my birthday. With asthma and hbp, my risk of dying is actually higher. Kind of humbling.

No idea, but I just saw on the website that they ARE posting the number of tests. So far, they've done 10. All negative. 10. Yep. They are only testing high risk populations right now.

In Texas?

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/nCOV2019.aspx

“Is California able to test for COVID-19?

The California Department of Public Health announced on February 28, 2020, that new CDC test kits used to detect Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) now available in California can be used to do diagnostic testing in the community. California will immediately receive an additional shipment of kits to test up to 1,200 people. This means California public health officials will get test results sooner, so that any patients will get the best care.

California Public Health Laboratories with novel coronavirus (COVID-19) testing capabilities.

Currently, eleven California public health labs have already received CDC test kits and have begun testing. These labs include CDPH's Laboratory in Richmond, and the Alameda, Contra Costa, Sacramento, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Tulare, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego County labs. The CDPH Laboratory will provide diagnostic testing within a 48-hour turnaround time. More public health labs will soon be able to test, ramping up to a total of 20 public health labs in California in the coming weeks.  California Public Health Laboratories are working together as a network to provide novel coronavirus testing state-wide.  All requests for coronavirus testing for public health purposes must be submitted through a licensed health care provider and be approved by the Local Health Department prior to laboratory testing. COVID-19 California Map (PDF)

And yet, what they're saying and reality seem to be miles apart.  From an LA county ER doc (this is from a twitter feed here, but link doesn't go right to the post,  I don't think): 

Screenshot_2020-03-05-21-46-06.png

• Sad 5

25 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

And yet, what they're saying and reality seem to be miles apart.  From an LA county ER doc (this is from a twitter feed here, but link doesn't go right to the post,  I don't think): 

I couldn’t find the Elise twitter feed but I read LA county twitter feed and people are upset the LA Marathon is not cancelled 

See new Tweets

Conversation

. issues guidance for participants and spectators of the 2020 in an effort to inform the public about protecting themselves against #COVID19 http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/phcommon/public/media/mediapubhpdetail.cfm?prid=2251”””

10 minutes ago, lovelearnandlive said:

If they only test people who have a travel/contact history then they can keep up the narrative that there is no community spread. I’d hate to think that’s what’s going on but I’m not seeing many better reasons for the extreme lack of tests.

Sadly, I think you have hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately,  that's going to bite us all when it's too late. At some point it'll get so bad they can't deny it, but until then, disinformation and magical thinking seem to rule the day... 🙁

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Bhutan's first case of coronavirus is an American tourist. He left Washington, D.C. on February 18 and toured India with his partner before going to Bhutan.

So he either picked it up in US or India. Both of which supposedly have low cases. Or I guess from a plane or airport.

• Like 3

@Chrysalis Academy

https://abc7news.com/health/30-people-at-north-bay-hospital-under-quarantine-due-to-possible-coronavirus-exposure/5988987/
“SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- The United Healthcare Workers Union says the 30 employees at Sutter Santa Rosa Medical Center may have been exposed to a patient who has the novel coronavirus.

The workers are now under a 14 day quarantine.

In a statement, Sutter did not directly confirm the report, but did say: "Isolation protocols are initiated after careful risk stratification in close coordination with the county department of health."

On Thursday, Sonoma County announced that a second person who had taken a February cruise on the Grand Princess cruise ship has come down with the virus.

The two patients were both aboard the ship and traveled home to Sonoma County together on an airport shuttle with dozens of other travelers who may have been exposed.

"We are doing our best to contact all of them to let them know about the possible risk of exposure," said Sonoma County Spokeswoman Melissa Valle.

The good news is Friday is the 14th day since the shuttle trip. If no one develops symptoms by then they're probably in the clear.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renai said:

In re HBP— if you didn’t look at the vitamin D slide show, you might want to do so.  It discusses some about the BP aspect.  The presenter has strong German accent and some English difficulty, however I think you could probably get a lot out of it anyway.  The “video” on this page, but it’s really still slides, not what I think of as video.

https://www.vitamindservice.de/coronavirus-e

#1 Ozone/oxygen therapy. We might get either direct intravenous where the oxygen/ozone gas is injected directly (takes a few minutes) or autohemotherapy where about 1/2 cup of blood is withdrawn and infused with oxygen/ozone and then reinjected back in. Ozone therapy has been used safely for years. It's in the ballpark of about $100-150 per treatment. (This is not air but a mixture of mostly oxygen and a small amount of ozone.)

I don’t know that this would be readily available to most of us? Who does this?

I would not think overwhelmed hospitals would be able to. Or willing even if not overwhelmed. It can be hard even to be allowed to take vitamins at conventional hospitals afaik. 

#2 Agarikon daily. Host Defense sells it. Just need one capsule per day. This is one awesome mushroom that is being studied as a potent anti-viral for smallpox, H1N1, etc. It is also a potent anti-bacterial.

Hadn’t known about this before. Thanks. It looks extremely interesting!!! 

Might help someone I know now. 

#3 Selenium daily, 200 micrograms only. Pill should be slightly stinky.

Brazil nuts are also good . 

Some multivitamins would cover 200 micrograms selenium.

Others have none. 

#4 Vitamind D3 daily. Ideally, you should be in the higher range of normal.

Agree!!!

#5 Vitamin C to bowel tolerance. We might also do an IV. It's only about $25-35 so why not. And, it bypasses the stomach.

Agree for once sick.  

Though again think finding someone who would do an IV in a Covid-19 infection situation would be tough.  I have only once ever had a doctor willing to. 

#6 Eat a healthy diet which we do anyway. Get enough magnesium, potassium, etc.

Agree!

#7 I will also use my pemf device, a Sota, daily.

????

#8 Sleep well.

#9 Exercise.

Agree!!!

And I’ve Gotta do better on both!

2 hours ago, DoraBora said:

In Texas?

New Mexico - I've updated though, their website now shows how many total tests done, positives and negatives. They've only done 10 tests though since March 4 (this figure was on the website March 5).

1 hour ago, Pen said:

In re HBP— if you didn’t look at the vitamin D slide show, you might want to do so.  It discusses some about the BP aspect.  The presenter has strong German accent and some English difficulty, however I think you could probably get a lot out of it anyway.  The “video” on this page, but it’s really still slides, not what I think of as video.

https://www.vitamindservice.de/coronavirus-e

Yes, I already take D3 since I'm prone to be low.

Just now, Renai said:

New Mexico - I've updated though, their website now shows how many total tests done, positives and negatives. They've only done 10 tests though since March 4 (this figure was on the website March 5).

Yes, I already take D3 since I'm prone to be low.

The slide show has some explanation of the connection between the coronavirus and blood pressure, which could be of interest, separate from taking D3.  Sort of like Buhner article had some good discussion of how the coronavirus affects people— regardless of choice of herb treatment or not.  I personally haven’t seen a better explanation of the blood pressure issue than the slide show.

• Like 1

Don’t know if it’s been posted already 

@Plumhttps://www.8newsnow.com/coronavirus/mccarran-working-with-snhd-cdc-after-learning-coronavirus-patient-traveled/
“LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — The Southern Nevada Health District confirmed that the man who became our state’s first presumptive coronavirus patient traveled from Washington and Texas to Las Vegas. They do not have a timeline of when that happened. 

McCarran International Airport officials said they are working closely with the Health District and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to monitor the virus in our area. Right now, the airport does not have any information on the details of the patient’s travels into Las Vegas. 

Despite the case, the airport has not been advised that it needs to do any coronavirus screening. McCarran issued a statement today that said the custodial staff is using hospital-grade disinfectant on all high-touch surfaces. These include things like kiosks, escalators and door handles. 

While the airport does this during every flu season, it has increased how often it disinfects because of the virus.”

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/at-least-30-bay-area-workers-quarantined-after-contact-with-virus-infected-patients-union/2248916/

“A healthcare workers' union Thursday said at least 30 Bay Area workers and at least 50 caregivers statewide were sent home for quarantine after they came in contact with COVID-19 patients

The hospitals involved include Kaiser Permanente in Roseville and Los Angeles, El Camino Health in Mountain View and Los Gatos and Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital where 30 workers were quarantined, according to the union.

Union officials said sending exposed workers home is the right thing to do, but hospitals must collaborate with workers to prevent the spread of the virus among patients and workers.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

At what point will all healthcare workers and first responders be using the proper exposure protocols with all incoming patients? When I see numbers like this—30 people quarantined here, 2 dozen there—I wonder who will be left to run the hospitals. Staffing margins aren’t great to begin with. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mellifera33 said:

At what point will all healthcare workers and first responders be using the proper exposure protocols with all incoming patients? When I see numbers like this—30 people quarantined here, 2 dozen there—I wonder who will be left to run the hospitals. Staffing margins aren’t great to begin with. 

My dd is riding an ambulance again today. No particularly impressive protection methods have been discussed.

We’re not in an area of identified patients, but we have tons of city commuters and vacationers. I don’t like it.  At some point, I am going to have to tell her (a minor) to stop, and it isn’t going to go well.  That’s assuming she doesn’t become a contact first.

That doesn’t address the issue of hospital employees, just throwing out there that I’m finding it hard to know what to do with a volunteer at this point.

I like to think that my concern would dial down a notch if  I believed testing and tracing were happening more effectively. That will never guarantee anything, but it would improve my risk assessment ability.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Katy said:

I honestly think they (CDC/current administration) don't want contract tracing or true quarantines.  They don't want the economic hit from shutting things down indefinitely.  I don't really see any alternative.  If we really wanted to shut down the virus we'd be closing boarders and doing widespread testing of everyone with symptoms.

Unfortunately, I agree. The decision seems to be to just let this run its course and avoid any disruptions as much as possible (I mean it can't all be incompetence, can it?) To a certain extent I can understand that reasoning but if it is true they should just say so. We'll see how this turns out...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StellaM said:

In personal good fortune, I am now the proud owner of 24 rolls of toilet paper. Praise be.

Lol

i went to the shop this morning and there were 12 packages left.  Different shop this arvo and there was so much stinking toilet paper it was almost blocking the aisle!  Towers stacked at the end... ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They have been testing pretty aggressively here in Germany as far as I can tell (hence the strong increase in numbers). Supposedly, they will soon open some drive-through testing places like in South Korea.

That's the good part. However, the official news/talk from doctors/politicians is very much changing to "can't stop it anyway/it won't be that bad as most are only mildly ill and many of the older patients dying would have died within the year anyway (not necessarily saying it doesn't matter but won't impact annual death statistics)". Hospitals/doctors in more impacted areas are no longer putting everyone who has contact with a patient automatically on a 14 day quarantine as it is overwhelming the resources.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tweets from an ABC correspondent in Beijing 

I wonder how other countries can enforce home-quarantines for #coronavirus? The one open gate of my #Beijing compound normally has at least 3 security guards and resident volunteers checking exit/entry passes and temperatures. Today it was closer to ten.

Gotta give it to the building management staff, they are going out and getting everyone's deliveries and bringing them to your door. But it's clear from the manpower down there today that residential communities are really under the pump to strictly enforce the rules.

Today vice prime minister Sun Chunlan #孙春兰 visited Wuhan Qingshan Kaiyuan residential community. It’s meant to be a PR show. Residents were not allowed to come out, but things went out of control. They started shouting, “Fake! Everything is fake!”

- seeing this reported a lot.  Obviously don’t understand the language to know if it’s true (there’s a video) but seems to be fairly widely reported.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/at-least-30-bay-area-workers-quarantined-after-contact-with-virus-infected-patients-union/2248916/

“A healthcare workers' union Thursday said at least 30 Bay Area workers and at least 50 caregivers statewide were sent home for quarantine after they came in contact with COVID-19 patients

The hospitals involved include Kaiser Permanente in Roseville and Los Angeles, El Camino Health in Mountain View and Los Gatos and Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital where 30 workers were quarantined, according to the union.

Union officials said sending exposed workers home is the right thing to do, but hospitals must collaborate with workers to prevent the spread of the virus among patients and workers.”

I think my mom has some of her appointments and treatments done at one of the hospitals mentioned. 😞

Thank you, Arcadia, for keeping us all in the loop. Your research skills are stellar! 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

How much vitamin D3 as a preventative do y’all think?  How much should we up the dose if we’re sick?  I usually stick to the lower amounts so what do y’all think? 

I am wondering the same thing.  I have not had my D3 checked for 2 years.  It was on the low side then and my doctor did nothing.  How much do you usually take?

Why aren't we using WHO tests, or enlisting more corporate and international suppliers to fill in while the CDC test gets off the ground? 

I get how rolling out something this is complicated and mistakes can happen. I don't get why, in 6 weeks, we haven't pulled out all the stops. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Teresa in MO said:

I am wondering the same thing.  I have not had my D3 checked for 2 years.  It was on the low side then and my doctor did nothing.  How much do you usually take?

If you get bloodwork done for any reason, add a D3 level, because you don't want it to get too high.

That said, if you're low, you can probably supplement for quite some time without nearing toxicity. 

Our levels tend to be low, and we routinely supplement with about 2,000 IU D3 per day, both summer and winter. We add D3 levels to any bloodwork and have never been anywhere close to toxicity. If anything we're still in the lower-middle range, but everyone is different. I'm upping the dose a bit due to coronavirus.

7 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Why aren't we using WHO tests, or enlisting more corporate and international suppliers to fill in while the CDC test gets off the ground? 

I get how rolling out something this is complicated and mistakes can happen. I don't get why, in 6 weeks, we haven't pulled out all the stops. 

Why indeed. It's mind-boggling. 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Acadie said:

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

Why indeed. It's mind-boggling. 

I can't decide if it's massive incompetence or intentional slow walking of widespread testing. Or perhaps some of both.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Teresa in MO said:

Mine tends to be low and so does my kids’.  We can’t get our numbers to budge without taking formulations with vitamin K with it.  We do 4,000 IUs a day of D/K and a few times a week I take a 50,000 IU tablet that doesn’t have K.  

26 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I can't decide if it's massive incompetence or intentional slow walking of widespread testing. Or perhaps some of both.

I keep wondering that too.  I can’t imagine our CDC is that incompetent.  But maybe they are.  They’re definitely understaffed.  I’m pretty sure the government has ordered slow walking of tests.  Someone on tv yesterday was going on about how everyone should get it, let the 2% die, and then the markets would recover.  Except with 20% needing hospital beds, it would be a lot more than 2% dying.  Probably more like 10%.  For money. 

Edited by Terabith
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

I keep wondering that too.  I can’t imagine our CDC is that incompetent.  But maybe they are.  They’re definitely understaffed.  I’m pretty sure the government has ordered slow walking of tests.  Someone on FOX news yesterday was going on about how everyone should get it, let the 2% die, and then the markets would recover.  Except with 20% needing hospital beds, it would be a lot more than 2% dying.  Probably more like 10%.  For money. 

I saw that. I think the man was with CNBC? He should have won the daily prize for idiocy. And irresponsibility. I hope they yank him off the air.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I saw that. I think the man was with CNBC? He should have won the daily prize for idiocy. And irresponsibility. I hope they yank him off the air.

Very possibly. I wasn’t paying much attention.  Regardless of channel should definitely be off the air.  Dangerous and cruel.  

• Like 2

I’d really like to see the media quit using the term “panic buying”. I realize there are a few extreme cases here and there, but people were finally told to keep 2 weeks worth of stuff on hand. That doubles to triples the purchases of “normal” people this past week.  OF COURSE that would deplete stock.  Random sprinklings of real jerks doesn’t make that panic buying.

Calling it panic buying can increase the random panic buying. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1