Menu

Books your boys love (or like)

lovinmyboys

Can we have a thread on books boys age 6-14 or so like or have read this year? None of my boys are big readers, but we have had some they like. I feel like we are in a pretty good groove with reading, and I want to keep books they will like in the house. 

ds7 has read and loved all the Dogman books and the chicken series by Doreen Cronin

ds9 is liking the Mac B Kid Spy books by Mac Barnett 

ds11 loved Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaimen and Save me a Seat and everything by Andrew Clements

ds13 read Savvy, The Mighty Odds, Ghost by Jason Reynolds, and The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora, and Crossover by Kwame Alexander 

My 11 yr od LOOOVES  Andrew Clements. He also really likes Warrior Kid, When the Mountain meets the moon trilogy, and lots of books by Mike Lupica, Stuart Gibs.

8 and 9 yr olds - went through Magic Tree House,  Dragon Masters, Story Treehouse series, Heroes in Training.

Oh and....I don't know if I should mention it, but they have read ALL of Big Nate and Garfield....lol

• Like 2

Chronicles of Narnia

The Hobbit

Percy Jackson

Keeper of the Lost Cities (series)

Half Magic and all the sequels

Freddie Goes to Florida (audiobook) 

My Side of the Mountain

Redwall

Horrible Histories (middle school)

non-fiction - Ds loved BOMB and also the young readers edition of The Boys in the Boat.

• Like 2

My ds loved Jonathan Auxier's books Peter Nimble and Sophie Quire. He also loved the Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson and the Gregor Series by Suzanne Collins. 

He's a pretty avid reader and will give just about anything a go.

He is really into little women/little men at the moment.

Ds9 is a more reluctant reader, but he's enjoying the Oz series at the moment.

• Like 1

My son loved Hank the Cowdog series. We were already a family that loved dogs, but these books took it to another level. When he was reading the books, I could hear him laughing out loud. (What a great sound.) We still have references in the book as part of our family culture now. We ended up with the whole series with 73 books!

Amazon lists the books for ages 8-12 and grades 2-7. The writer's site is  http://www.hankthecowdog.com

I've had friends who don't consider themselves dog people enjoy the series. 🐕❤️

• Like 4

Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan  (I bought the first two for my son when he was taking a long trip. he assured me he wouldn't have time to finish one, let alone two . . . he read both, and ordered the rest when he got home.)

LotR - most of my kids read this by 10 - 12.

Ender's shadow series by Orson Scott Card, in addition to the original Ender's books.   

12 hours ago, Sallie Mae said:

My son loved Hank the Cowdog series. We were already a family that loved dogs, but these books took it to another level. When he was reading the books, I could hear him laughing out loud. (What a great sound.)

These were a big hit here, too. My husband read aloud the first thirty-five books to our daughter (that was the entire series at the time), and we remember them fondly.

12 hours ago, Sallie Mae said:

We still have references in the book as part of our family culture now. 

"My leg! My leg!"

Regards,

Kareni

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Sallie Mae said:

My son loved Hank the Cowdog series. We were already a family that loved dogs, but these books took it to another level. When he was reading the books, I could hear him laughing out loud. (What a great sound.) We still have references in the book as part of our family culture now. We ended up with the whole series with 73 books!

Amazon lists the books for ages 8-12 and grades 2-7. The writer's site is  http://www.hankthecowdog.com

I've had friends who don't consider themselves dog people enjoy the series. 🐕❤️

My daughter (8 years old) is loving these now. But our local library only has a handful. I was going to get her the ones I could find at Half Price Books -- but they don't have any :( Any recommendations? Do they need to be read in order?

We are big Hank the Cowdog fans here. Both my 12 year old and 8 year old like them, though the 8 year old listens to the audiobooks, doesn’t read the paper books.

12 year old has liked the Hardy boys for several years, though he may be growing out of them. Also a big Harry Potter fan. 

Both like Dogman.