Menu

NON-POLITICAL Vaccine Question

TheReader

So, we moved out of the country when the kids were 10, 7 and 2. Everyone was, at that point, up to date on vaccines for their ages. 

When we returned they were 16, 13, and 8. We got everyone caught up at that point, but that doctor is 2 hrs away/that was 5+ years ago, so likely they don't still have that record.  We haven't kept up the youngest since then. 

SO, oldest needed Tetanus for his summer job. I called our doctor (who, admittedly, we have more of a "we come in when sick" but don't do well checks or anything kind of relationship) and they said he would need to bring his shot record to confirm when he last had the shot. 

I explained we've moved a million times since then, I know he had it pre-2007, the doctor we had back then retired, and I don't have the shot records anymore.  Too bad. They couldn't do it. Their (new) policy is that they must have proof the kids have been vaccinated in order to continue the vaccines. 

I explained that was exactly it, he *hadn't* had the shot, and needed it (or hadn't had it recently enough to count), and so even if I did have the shot record, which I don't & can't get, the record would show no shot.  That the whole point was we're trying to catch him up on it. 

They were adamant that w/o the record, they could not help him/administer any vaccines. 

Now, we *were* able to go to Walgreen's and do it there, no issues, BUT, supposing I decided to finally come in and say "Oh, so, by the way, my youngest probably is missing a few boosters from the tween years....." -- if we can't go to our normal doctor for this, because I've lost the vaccine record and they won't immunize him w/o proof of what he hasn't had, do I just look up the schedule myself and go to Walgreen's and request all the ones I think he needs??? 

Isn't it a little backwards for the doctor to refuse to vaccinate a kid whose parent is coming in telling them "we lapsed on his vaccines and want to resume/catch up/etc.", because we lack the proof to show we didn't do the vaccines??? 

*And, side note: why the ever lovin' heck did I sign them up, at birth, for the statewide registry, gave permission for their shot records to be added to that "in case you ever lose your copy, they'll be on file with the state" if no doctor anywhere, ever, can or does actually access that to check on this???? 

• Like 4

That seems really odd. Did they say if you didn't have the records that they would want to get him caught up on everything. If the office has a policy that they don't take unvaccinated kids I can see how it could be difficult for a vaccinated to be given just one shot with no proof of having the other vaccines

I'm really shocked that a doctor doesn't have those records after only 5 years. That's very strange.

As far as tetanus goes, I don't believe you are supposed to have a second vaccine for it within a 10 year period. Maybe that's why you would've needed to prove how long it had been?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

That seems really odd. Did they say if you didn't have the records that they would want to get him caught up on everything. If the office has a policy that they don't take unvaccinated kids I can see how it could be difficult for a vaccinated to be given just one shot with no proof of having the other vaccines

They said they are starting a new policy that kids have to have proof of vaccines. When I asked, she said they could not catch him up w/o knowing what he needed caught up on, and suggested I track down the doctor who gave the shot and see if they still had the records. Maybe it's because, yes, they'd then want to redo the whole panel if I didn't have records of what he *did* have, but she didn't specifically say that.  Just that w/o the record, they could not do the tetanus booster. 

2 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

I'm really shocked that a doctor doesn't have those records after only 5 years. That's very strange.

As far as tetanus goes, I don't believe you are supposed to have a second vaccine for it within a 10 year period. Maybe that's why you would've needed to prove how long it had been?

Well, I haven't actually called, b/c that wasn't the doctor who did the tetanus shot. In the past, though, I've had doctors say we have to be considered a new patient b/c after 5 yrs they no longer had our records....maybe vaccine records are kept separately? 

I also didn't think tetanus was that strict; I know you are supposed to get a booster "once every 10 yrs" but I thought they tend to give it at the ER and such if you aren't sure of when you last had it (in cases when you've had a scratch, bite, poke, etc. that might put you at risk), but maybe that's just due to the risk factors. 

I'll call the 5-yrs-ago doctor and see if they have our records still on that; they made copies of what I had up to that point, so maybe we'd be able to get them from him. He was our favorite pediatrician ever, I wish he wasn't 2 hrs away. 

A doctor's office will have records after five years. If you are not an active patient, they may have been moved to off site storage, but that's their problem, not yours.

The person you talked to at the doctor's office was uninformed, IMO. In order to determine which, if any, vaccines your children need, they can do a blood test and work from that. If that is the doctor you want them to see, then I would just ask for the lab work through them. If the person you talk to at the doctor's office doesn't know what you are talking about when you ask for the appointment for that and doesn't take the time to ask someone else in the office, then I think you need to find another practitioner. If immunizations are all you are concerned about at this time, I think going to somewhere like a CVS Minute Clinic would suffice - they would order the blood test and then work with you to get them updated on anything that they need.

• Like 8

FYI, not sure if this will help OP but in terms of good general info. 😉

We have had several big moves and couldn’t find our infant vaccination records.  We stopped hunting when we discovered that we could get a vaccination record from our original state.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TechWife said:

A doctor's office will have records after five years. If you are not an active patient, they may have been moved to off site storage, but that's their problem, not yours.

Yep - they're required to keep records for 7 years, and in the case of minors, it's either 18 years old or 7 years of saving, whichever comes last. 

• Like 5

We moved, and I ended up with no vaccination record when I entered high school. I had to have proof of my vaccination, and the (public) school directed us to a free vaccination clinic. I went with my mother and got all the shots I needed in one visit. It wasn't pleasant, and the line was long, but it was free and we got it done.

Granted, this was a very long time ago, but maybe you could check if there is a free clinic in your area? Another option would be to get blood tests that check for antibody titers. I did a quick Google search, and it looks like CVS Minute Clinic can do this. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TechWife said:

The person you talked to at the doctor's office was uninformed, IMO. In order to determine which, if any, vaccines your children need, they can do a blood test and work from that. If that is the doctor you want them to see, then I would just ask for the lab work through them. If the person you talk to at the doctor's office doesn't know what you are talking about when you ask for the appointment for that and doesn't take the time to ask someone else in the office, then I think you need to find another practitioner. If immunizations are all you are concerned about at this time, I think going to somewhere like a CVS Minute Clinic would suffice - they would order the blood test and then work with you to get them updated on anything that they need.

Ah, this is good to know, thank you! 

7 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

FYI, not sure if this will help OP but in terms of good general info. 😉

We have had several big moves and couldn’t find our infant vaccination records.  We stopped hunting when we discovered that we could get a vaccination record from our original state.

Well, see the final sentence of my OP, I have no idea why on earth that seems inaccessible, but I have tried going that route in the past (oldest had to repeat his meningitis shot b/c we failed to keep the paper not realizing when he transferred colleges, he'd need it *again*) and keep hitting a brick wall on that. I'll try again, though, because it seriously annoys me that at birth, and again every time they were given a vaccine, I marked "yes, add to state registry" (or however it's worded) only to keep running into this issue. 

6 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Yep - they're required to keep records for 7 years, and in the case of minors, it's either 18 years old or 7 years of saving, whichever comes last. 

Okay, this is good to know, thank you! I'll call that doctor today and see about getting their records sent over. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

We moved, and I ended up with no vaccination record when I entered high school. I had to have proof of my vaccination, and the (public) school directed us to a free vaccination clinic. I went with my mother and got all the shots I needed in one visit. It wasn't pleasant, and the line was long, but it was free and we got it done.

Granted, this was a very long time ago, but maybe you could check if there is a free clinic in your area? Another option would be to get blood tests that check for antibody titers. I did a quick Google search, and it looks like CVS Minute Clinic can do this. 

thanks, I will check. I think I can pull up the vaccine schedule and figure out from there what each kid has/hasn't had (b/c I know their ages when we did shots), but if the clinics won't do it w/o some proof, I am glad to know there's a blood test; I'd forgotten that they could check for titers. Thank you!

If your former pediatrician cannot provide vaccination records, contact your state's public health department.  If your children were vaccinated in more than one state and you did not transfer records when changing pediatricians, contact the public health departments in all states in which your children were vaccinated.   This only works for states that maintain a vaccination database.    

If the vaccinations were covered as part of insured well-care, your insurance company may be able to help you.

In the event that records cannot be located, blood titers can be done for some vaccinations.  Others will have to be redone.   Your county's public health department is probably the least expensive option.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

They said they are starting a new policy that kids have to have proof of vaccines. When I asked, she said they could not catch him up w/o knowing what he needed caught up on, and suggested I track down the doctor who gave the shot and see if they still had the records. Maybe it's because, yes, they'd then want to redo the whole panel if I didn't have records of what he *did* have, but she didn't specifically say that.  Just that w/o the record, they could not do the tetanus booster. 

Well, I haven't actually called, b/c that wasn't the doctor who did the tetanus shot. In the past, though, I've had doctors say we have to be considered a new patient b/c after 5 yrs they no longer had our records....maybe vaccine records are kept separately? 

I also didn't think tetanus was that strict; I know you are supposed to get a booster "once every 10 yrs" but I thought they tend to give it at the ER and such if you aren't sure of when you last had it (in cases when you've had a scratch, bite, poke, etc. that might put you at risk), but maybe that's just due to the risk factors. 

I'll call the 5-yrs-ago doctor and see if they have our records still on that; they made copies of what I had up to that point, so maybe we'd be able to get them from him. He was our favorite pediatrician ever, I wish he wasn't 2 hrs away. 

My dd recently did a clinical rotation at the hospital and had to be up-to-date on all vaccines. Even though we had all her vaccine records, the organization she did this through took bloodwork and was able to see what she did not have immunity for so that she could get boosters. Based on the bloodwork, she needed three shots. One was for something she’d already been fully vaccinated for but must not have had titers for. If the doctor wanted to work with you, I would think they could do something like this easily enough. It sounds like they are not interested in being helpful, so I would find another practice.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, StaceyinLA said:

Tetnus wouldn't have been an issue.  If you have a puncture wound and can't prove a vaccination within five years, the recommendation is that you get one.  Some doctors will give one even if it has been less than five years.  Otherwise you should get a booster every 5-10 years depending on occupation and hobbies.  

Son discussed this with his pediatrician at his last well-check.  If son had any interest in blacksmithing, he lost it after that discussion.

• Like 2

I would definitely switch to Walgreens.  I did the same last summer when the doctor office refused to see my kids in time to meet the school shot deadline.  I don't see a downside.

Keep the records yourself as well as you can.  You may want to get titers if you are not sure and don't want to do an unnecessary shot.  However, in the circumstances you describe, I don't think it is dangerous to just re-do shots you may have missed.

In my experience, my own homemade list of my kids' vaxes has always been sufficient to "prove" they are up-to-date.

6 minutes ago, Mom0012 said:

My dd recently did a clinical rotation at the hospital and had to be up-to-date on all vaccines. Even though we had all her vaccine records, the organization she did this through took bloodwork and was able to see what she did not have immunity for so that she could get boosters. Based on the bloodwork, she needed three shots. One was for something she’d already been fully vaccinated for but must not have had titers for. If the doctor wanted to work with you, I would think they could do something like this easily enough. It sounds like they are not interested in being helpful, so I would find another practice.

This is really seeming true to me; I asked a few times very specifically what we could do since we didn't have the records from 2007, nor a way to get them from that (now retired) doctor, and the only suggestion, over and over, was just that they couldn't do it w/o the info, and that I could try Walgreen's or CVS. No mention at all of them being able to check his titers, etc.  :sigh:  I hate looking for new doctors.....

• Like 2

Just now, SKL said:

I would definitely switch to Walgreens.  I did the same last summer when the doctor office refused to see my kids in time to meet the school shot deadline.  I don't see a downside.

Keep the records yourself as well as you can.  You may want to get titers if you are not sure and don't want to do an unnecessary shot.  However, in the circumstances you describe, I don't think it is dangerous to just re-do shots you may have missed.

In my experience, my own homemade list of my kids' vaxes has always been sufficient to "prove" they are up-to-date.

thank you! I'm thinking we'll do that for shots, for sure. I can more-or-less pinpoint what they've had, based on their ages when we did them, and it seems like Walgreen's will take that (especially as none of them are still in the "really little kid" age range). 

2 hours ago, TheReader said:

*And, side note: why the ever lovin' heck did I sign them up, at birth, for the statewide registry, gave permission for their shot records to be added to that "in case you ever lose your copy, they'll be on file with the state" if no doctor anywhere, ever, can or does actually access that to check on this???? 

You've had a lot of good responses on the rest of your post but this has me wondering. Is it possible that even though you gave permission the records were never added by your old practice? I would think that even if you give permission the office still has to enter it in some sort of state database. It sounds like they never did. If that's the case I'd be pretty upset over it. 

Just now, Lady Florida. said:

You've had a lot of good responses on the rest of your post but this has me wondering. Is it possible that even though you gave permission the records were never added by your old practice? I would think that even if you give permission the office still has to enter it in some sort of state database. It sounds like they never did. If that's the case I'd be pretty upset over it. 

I really have no idea. We've been with various practices over the years, so it seems odd that none of them added this info. (we've moved....a lot....over the years) And it may be that this info exists, somewhere, and I just don't know how to get it. Or doctor's offices don't routinely check it. Or I have no idea. It definitely does bother me, but I've no clue what to do/who to talk to about it, and, I mean, too late now, right? 

Just a bit of a head banging moment......

• Like 1

Now I am wondering what adults do if they have gone decades since their last shot (like me).  I would assume any current health provider would take my word for it.  "Can't remember my last shot but it was definitely more than 10 years ago."

• Like 2

The tetanus given in the hospital after an injury is a different animal.

I know a lot of the issues surrounding the DTaP vaccine (such as the waning of the pertussis portion) are because they can't give boosters sooner than ten years because of the tetanus portion. I guess I should say I "think." I have read that in several different places over the last few years, but shouldn't be saying I KNOW it since I could be wrong.

• Like 1

OP I have not read all of the replies, but I would just go to Walgrens. Why can't they begin a new vaccination record for someone who doesn't have their original vaccination record?

Fortunately, months ago (late last year?), when DD needed to submit a lengthy medical history thing for her NSLI-Y https://www.nsliforyouth.org/  application (she was a Semi-Finalist or Finalist for that) I had spent HOURS searching for her original vaccination certificate and I found it.   🙂    With that, we translated from Spanish into English for the NSLI-Y form.

Presto.   Now, she must comply with the UNC CH vaccination requirements.  Yesterday, with what we'd done for the  NSLI-Y, it was very quick. She needs to get the vaccination that includes Tetanus.  UNC CH requires the Tdap vaccine.

What we would do, had I not found her original vaccination certificate, I don't know. Probably she would need to get a lot more vaccinations now.

I believe when I was young they recommended getting a booster for Tetanus every 10 years. I suspect that is still the case.

The  attitude from your doctors office wasn't the best. They could have explained in more detail, what you needed to do, or, why they did not have the records.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

I know a lot of the issues surrounding the DTaP vaccine (such as the waning of the pertussis portion) are because they can't give boosters sooner than ten years because of the tetanus portion. I guess I should say I "think." I have read that in several different places over the last few years, but shouldn't be saying I KNOW it since I could be wrong.

that makes sense; walgreens had the option of 2 different versions, and mentioned a 3rd one....I think the DTaP is the one they won't do, but 2 other ones they would, and they had a chart explaining which one you should get under which circumstances (how old, how long, etc.) so he just did that. 

So, we moved out of the country when the kids were 10, 7 and 2. Everyone was, at that point, up to date on vaccines for their ages. 

When we returned they were 16, 13, and 8. We got everyone caught up at that point, but that doctor is 2 hrs away/that was 5+ years ago, so likely they don't still have that record. 

Contact that office.  Very likely they do have the records. 

Also contact your state registry to see what they have.

Even doctor who retired may still have records available somewhere.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

My DH received a tetanus shot in the ER and had to wait the full required number of years before he could get a DTaP booster as a result. It left him rather vulnerable in the meantime.

I would recommend not getting one solo (unless necessary, of course) for that reason.

It seems very strange that the office is having such a difficult time finding 5 yo records. Good luck. 

Edited by MEmama

4 hours ago, SKL said:

Now I am wondering what adults do if they have gone decades since their last shot (like me).  I would assume any current health provider would take my word for it.  "Can't remember my last shot but it was definitely more than 10 years ago."

A few years ago, I took DH to our dr. to check on a nasty cough. We had whooping cough in the area that winter so she was worried it might be that. She gave me a tDAP booster even though I was fine. He ended up having bronchitis, not whooping cough, but I was the one that got stabbed that visit. (still slightly grumpy)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TechWife said:

I agree, assuming you have the luxury of choice.

Life it too short to spend all your time asking people to do their own job, lol! Especially with healthcare.

Don't apologize to a practice about not having a rock solid relationship with a pediatric practice--if you don't get sick, that should be expected. I don't think you should have to defend that fact to anyone.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SKL said:

Right; this is my 21 yr old who needed it. We moved out of the country when he was 10, and I know the shot was before that. As I don't know the schedule for tetanus, I have no idea what age he was when he got it, and as he had 4 pediatricians in those 10 yrs, b/c we moved a bunch, I don't even know for a fact which one gave that shot. Two of the 4 are no longer even practicing (and no one assumed their practices, etc...), so those 2 are dead ends completely. The 3rd is, and is the same doctor who did the catch-ups in 2013/2014, so I'll check with him if I decide to move forward with catching up DS14. The 4th I think may also be retired/no assumed practice....I don't actually remember. He was in our college town, and I don't even remember his name, so...... 

I'm completely mind-boggled that our doctor (GP, not a pediatrician) is being so strict on this whole "we have zero ability to administer a vaccine you say you need if we can't confirm that it really was more than 10 yrs ago." 

I am extra mind-boggled that my request for guidance on what we could do instead was met with, literally, track down the doctor who gave him the shot. Or, maybe Walgreens will do it, but we cannot. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I agree, assuming you have the luxury of choice.

Life it too short to spend all your time asking people to do their own job, lol! Especially with healthcare.

Don't apologize to a practice about not having a rock solid relationship with a pediatric practice--if you don't get sick, that should be expected. I don't think you should have to defend that fact to anyone.

yea, we have choices. :sigh: Man, I hate looking for new doctors. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

I'm completely mind-boggled that our doctor (GP, not a pediatrician) is being so strict on this whole "we have zero ability to administer a vaccine you say you need if we can't confirm that it really was more than 10 yrs ago." 

I am extra mind-boggled that my request for guidance on what we could do instead was met with, literally, track down the doctor who gave him the shot. Or, maybe Walgreens will do it, but we cannot. 

Two things boggle my mind about this.... 1) you could show a shot from more than ten years ago, but that does not mean you have not had a shot in the last ten years, just with a different place. So really, giving records from 10+ years ago does not mean there was no shot since.... and 2) most 21 yr olds do not have copies of their shot records from 10+ years ago. So do they simply refuse to give the shots to everyone?

Really, this doctor sounds off. This is such an odd policy.

• Like 2

OP, definitely contact the last doctor your kids saw. It's entirely possible that they have the full vaccine record in their files. 

When my kids aged out of their ped's office and had to find a regular doctor, their vax records showed which vax they received at the ped's office as well as the ones they received at the previous ped's office. Those just stated "outside of clinic" to show they were done elsewhere. It's possible your old ped's office does something similar.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm gobsmacked at the response of the new doctor's office.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

Two things boggle my mind about this.... 1) you could show a shot from more than ten years ago, but that does not mean you have not had a shot in the last ten years, just with a different place. So really, giving records from 10+ years ago does not mean there was no shot since.... and 2) most 21 yr olds do not have copies of their shot records from 10+ years ago. So do they simply refuse to give the shots to everyone?

Really, this doctor sounds off. This is such an odd policy.

This is what I don’t understand. How can you prove the negative? Say you had the record of his very first vaccination. Or told them he’d never had any vaccinations? Then they would go ahead? Makes zero sense.

• Like 3

I think every US state has vaccination records.  Just contact them (most likely part of the public health department, a county vaccine office can likely order them for you) and they'll send you records for each of your children.

Also every hospital has a lab that can draw titers on each of your children and tell you exactly what vaccines they need. 

• Like 2

Thankful that I did find the Vaccination record for DD, after searching for hours, late last year, when she needed to fill out the Health information form for the NSLI-Y application and that she only needs one booster shot now, to meet the requirements on the form for UNC CH   However, I have NO clue, as to where my original shot record is (It was on Yellow paper), or, my shot record from the military.   If I needed proof of the vaccinations I've had during my lifetime, I have no way to provide that.  Someone upthread mentioned that a Lab test can determine which vaccinations someone might need and I appreciate that information.

ETA: This is way OT but I knew what the Yellow Fever vaccination costs in the USA and the unavailability of that vaccine there. If someone needs that vaccination and they happen to be in Colombia, they give it, FREE, at El Dorado Airport in Bogota.  I am not sure if it is FREE in other places here in Colombia, but I suspect that may be the case.

Edited by Lanny
add ETA
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Thankful that I did find the Vaccination record for DD, after searching for hours, late last year, when she needed to fill out the Health information form for the NSLI-Y application and that she only needs one booster shot now, to meet the requirements on the form for UNC CH   However, I have NO clue, as to where my original shot record is (It was on Yellow paper), or, my shot record from the military.   If I needed proof of the vaccinations I've had during my lifetime, I have no way to provide that.  Someone upthread mentioned that a Lab test can determine which vaccinations someone might need and I appreciate that information.

ETA: This is way OT but I knew what the Yellow Fever vaccination costs in the USA and the unavailability of that vaccine there. If someone needs that vaccination and they happen to be in Colombia, they give it, FREE, at El Dorado Airport in Bogota.  I am not sure if it is FREE in other places here in Colombia, but I suspect that may be the case.

Fortunately I do still have, somewhere, our proof of the yellow fever vaccines; we got ours free in Brazil while there. Would hate to have to redo those, at US costs, should we again travel someplace that needs them (well, and I guess I need to read up if you need a booster/repeat of it at any point.....). 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lanny said:

That is good to know! We were only in Cartagena, but we were surprised at the unavailability of the vaccine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheReader said:

Fortunately I do still have, somewhere, our proof of the yellow fever vaccines; we got ours free in Brazil while there. Would hate to have to redo those, at US costs, should we again travel someplace that needs them (well, and I guess I need to read up if you need a booster/repeat of it at any point.....). 

The Yellow Fever vaccination they give now is good for life.    I don't know if that has always been the case, but that's true now.   Here in Colombia, the Yellow Fever vaccination is required for people arriving from Brazil and (I believe) from some countries in Africa.  I have read in a travel forum, that the Yellow Fever vaccination in the USA and Canada might cost $350 to $500 USD and is very hard to find there.

Edited by Lanny
correct typo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

That is good to know! We were only in Cartagena, but we were surprised at the unavailability of the vaccine.

There might possibly be places (Jungle areas) here in Colombia where there is a possibility of the existence of Yellow Fever, but certainly not in major cities like Cartagena.  I suspect we could get the vaccination here, but I am not sure if it is Free, as it is in El Dorado Airport in Bogota.  

Re the yellow fever vaccine in the U.S.  If you go to a travel clinic (often larger mainstream clinics have their own travel clinic), they will have the vaccine.  If you're not near a travel clinic and you need the vaccine (or another more unusual one), our experience has been that our local clinic will order it for us.  I keep my list of vaccinations on the yellow vaccination sheet in my passport.  Occasionally, airlines won't let you board without proof of a particular vaccine.  This happened to our dd when she was flying from Columbia to Costa Rica.  Costa Rica required proof of the yellow fever vaccine if coming from certain countries.  The frustrating thing was that our dd had actually had the vaccination, but not realizing she'd be needing proof of it for that trip, had no proof to show the airlines so she wasn't allowed to board.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SKL said:

It's been more than 20 years but when I got on an old tractor at a friend of a friend's family farm I couldn't remember when my last tetanus shot was, the doctor gave me one without a second thought. She said it was best to be safe. 

My mother actually had my childhood disease records (the only vaccines available then were smallpox and polio). When I was trying to get pregnant she said she thought I had everything. The doctor had me tested anyway but she did eventually find my records and it showed I never got rubella (then called German measles). So for something like that they would likely test you. For tetanus I've always known people to get one just to be safe if they can't remember when their last one was.

17 hours ago, kbutton said:

That is one of my pet peeves. I hate it even more when I end up having to do it for them. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SKL said:

For tetanus they would believe you. For everything else, they can order a blood test to figure out what you need.

• Like 1

I know our state keeps vaccine records.

I googled for it quite a few months ago when I needed a final/updated version of ds' vaccine record. Do a search for "[insert state name] vaccine registry" or "[insert state name] immunization registry".

I was able to request a copy online. (There was a link on the registry for an "Immunization Record Request Form".) I had to scan my driver's license as part of the request because they only release the info to the person (18 & over), a parent (if a minor), or medical facilities. (Perhaps educational facilities, if asked?)

Anyway. It was pretty short & easy & I received a copy pretty quickly.

• Like 2