Menu

Anyone Going to Disney? They are banning smoking, large strollers, and ice

mommyoffive

I Hope they get rid of the rented HUGE strollers.  They do clog traffic and make it hard to navigate.  None of these changes would affect anything I do anyway, and I think overall they will be good changes for flow of traffic.  I can see the ice being an issue, too.  We just take a cooler bag with frozen drinks.

• Like 3

My biggest issue with Universal when we went in Dec was the smoking. Even with the designated smoking areas I was still exposed to the smoke and it was quite unpleasant, particularly at one time when I was waiting in line I couldn't get away from the darn smoke.  So, I hope Universal follows suit on that front.   The stroller things seems to be a good idea as long side by side double strollers fit the width requirement.  I would actually choose not to go to Disney if it turned out our double stroller, which we specifically bought for our Universal trip, did meet the guidelines.

• Like 4

I could understand the smoking, and I don't really care about the ice.  The stroller limit might be obnoxious though.  For those of us with kids very close in age, we shouldn't have to buy a new stroller just to fit into a theme park.  (I don't know but my kids' side-by-side umbrella might have been slightly wider than 31".)

The smoking ban might get DH to agree to go back some day.  I was surprised it was allowed last time we were there, and not happy about it.

Not sure how I feel about the strollers.  Last time I went my youngest had just turned 3 and I didn't use a stroller for him.  We used a leash, and he loved it.  It was one of the cute puppy backpack styles.  I think he may still have it in his room somewhere.  We took lots of breaks and he did really well keeping up.  I don't remember other people having large strollers being a huge issue when I was there.  I am beyond the stroller phase now, but we rarely used a stroller for our kids when they were younger.  I used a sling or backpack for them mostly.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SKL said:

For those of us with kids very close in age, we shouldn't have to buy a new stroller just to fit into a theme park.  (I don't know but my kids' side-by-side umbrella might have been slightly wider than 31".)

From Disneyland https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/parks/strollers/

“Note: Effective May 1, 2019, strollers that are greater than 31” in width and 52” in length will be prohibited. Stroller wagons will also be prohibited.”

Younger kid was having afternoon naps until he was 6 years old. If the new rule was effective when we went to Disneyland years ago, my double jogger would have been too wide and my Graco Duoglider would have probably been too long. I would have had to borrow a Maclaren twin/double umbrella stroller since older kid rather sit in his stroller to eat than sit on the benches.

2 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I wonder how this sort of thing would affect special needs/disability strollers.  When a young child has a disability, there's a lot of overlap and grey area between stroller and wheelchair.  I hope Disney is clarifying how that sort of thing is handled with their staff.  I would hate for a kid to miss out on Disney because he or she needs a stroller that is wider than the limit due to the disability.  

Disney is VERY good with disabilities, so I'd expect it to be fine.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I have seen kids in that 18 months to 4ish yr old range who aren't quite there for a wheelchair but are still capable of using a regular stroller, even if they need extra room, and that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the size limit.  

A regular stroller would be within the new width and length limits. The special needs strollers (https://www.adaptivemall.com/allstrolpus.html?ag=General&kw=special needs stroller) would fit too and if any of those won’t fit, a doctor’s note would take care of the situation.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

That's good.  I just hope Disney is making sure their employees are fully understanding of that.  They seem to generally be really good about that sort of stuff.  

Disney is very good about disabilities and allergies. The other theme parks (Universal, Sea World) lagged behind them when it comes to those two things though in recent years they've been better. I don't imagine there will be a problem.

Older double strollers probably wouldn't fit the new rule but supposedly current/newer double strollers are within the required size limit.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Disney is very good about disabilities and allergies. The other theme parks (Universal, Sea World) lagged behind them when it comes to those two things though in recent years they've been better. I don't imagine there will be a problem.

Older double strollers probably wouldn't fit the new rule but supposedly current/newer double strollers are within the required size limit.

My anecdotal story from 2018: We had my son's 5th bday party at Sea World's Aquatica and I asked the rep on the phone about bringing in cupcakes. The rep made very clear that Sea World was very concerned about allergy/dietary restriction lawsuits, so just to say that the cupcakes were for allergies/dietary restrictions at the entrance and that no one would give me problems (I did and no one did).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I wonder how this sort of thing would affect special needs/disability strollers.  When a young child has a disability, there's a lot of overlap and grey area between stroller and wheelchair.  I hope Disney is clarifying how that sort of thing is handled with their staff.  I would hate for a kid to miss out on Disney because he or she needs a stroller that is wider than the limit due to the disability.  

ADA means that the stroller/wheelchair for disabled people will still be allowed. That is a mobility aid, not a convenience item. Most people with disabilities are well versed on their rights and I'm sure the parents will advocate for them if needed. I hope that one day, advocacy won't be needed, that people will naturally take other's needs into consideration, but until we get to that point, advocacy is necessary.

• Like 1

I'm glad about both the smoking and the strollers. We were at Magic Kingdom and Epcot this past January and it was very difficult to navigate around jumbo strollers, especially when they moved slowly or stopped in the middle of the pathway.  I imagine this will cut down the area that they set aside for their stroller parking lots, which will also make it easier for everyone to navigate.

I'm among those who were surprised Disney still allowed smoking.

I don't care about the ice.

• Like 3

I was always surprised to see smoking still allowed. The walkway in the Magic Kingdom where it was allowed is one of our favorite quiet spaces. Great place to have a snack and get away from the crowds. With no smokers it'll be even better.

I just went and measured our stroller. At first I thought it was 26", but with the wheels it's 32". However, the thing is on its last legs, and middle child will definitely be past stroller age by our next trip. I'm glad the rule wasn't in place for our December trip. I get it, though. The parks are getting crowded.

That makes me very happy to hear they're banning large strollers.  The whole stroller situation was becoming obnoxious. I actually took pictures on our last trip of the "parking" at rides.  It was like a mini-parking lot, and interfering with traffic around it.  I half expected to see letters and numbers so parents could remember where they parked their 7 & 8yo's stroller.  I'd like to see strollers kept to a minimum entirely.  They're just a nuisance.

The ice thing is weird.  And I know there were a very few smoking areas tucked away.  I'm glad to see those go, too.

• Like 3

Due to some business trips, I just did DisneyLand and DisneyWorld in the same week.  The worst thing in both parks?  Not the lines.  Not the crowds.  Nope - it was the huge strollers.  They clog up the path ways and run into people and stop in the middle of the road and block traffic flow.   Parents get tired and lose track of their manners and social cues and get distracted.  And no - this is not a problem with wheelchairs, just strollers. 

Personally I would outlaw all double-wide strollers in the crowds as a danger. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AK_Mom4 said:

Due to some business trips, I just did DisneyLand and DisneyWorld in the same week.  The worst thing in both parks?  Not the lines.  Not the crowds.  Nope - it was the huge strollers.  They clog up the path ways and run into people and stop in the middle of the road and block traffic flow.   Parents get tired and lose track of their manners and social cues and get distracted.  And no - this is not a problem with wheelchairs, just strollers. 

I don't disagree that many people way over-do strollers. 

However, there are legitimate needs for them if you have two (or more) kids who do not walk.

True, there is no "need" to go to Disney if you have babies, but I would think they would want families to feel welcome.

I could see putting a width limit on the 1st child and then each additional baby/tot.  I personally don't think it's obnoxious for wee multiples to take up a little bit of space.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't disagree that many people way over-do strollers. 

However, there are legitimate needs for them if you have two (or more) kids who do not walk.

True, there is no "need" to go to Disney if you have babies, but I would think they would want families to feel welcome.

I could see putting a width limit on the 1st child and then each additional baby/tot.  I personally don't think it's obnoxious for wee multiples to take up a little bit of space.

There really isn't a need for a double wide stroller, though.  Inline ones are on the market and they're preferable for maneuverability.

I honestly wouldn't have an issue if people did not abuse them.  Doublewides in a crowded park are an abuse.  So are strollers for able-bodied school-aged children.  We stayed at the Contemporary on our last trip and swore never to do it again, and a big part of that were the strollers and ECVs.  They clogged the elevators up and down so that it was impossible to get up to our room at certain times of the day.  I get that people want to get the most of of a vacation that they spent a lot of money for but dragging kids around to do EVERYTHING when they should go slower isn't the answer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MaBelle said:

WTH is the problem with ice?

The article says this one was implemented immediately so it sounds like it is a security (Hard to check a cooler full of ice) or safety issue. (ice spilled onto the ground causing unstable walking conditions)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

There really isn't a need for a double wide stroller, though.  Inline ones are on the market and they're preferable for maneuverability.

I honestly wouldn't have an issue if people did not abuse them.  Doublewides in a crowded park are an abuse.  So are strollers for able-bodied school-aged children.  We stayed at the Contemporary on our last trip and swore never to do it again, and a big part of that were the strollers and ECVs.  They clogged the elevators up and down so that it was impossible to get up to our room at certain times of the day.  I get that people want to get the most of of a vacation that they spent a lot of money for but dragging kids around to do EVERYTHING when they should go slower isn't the answer.

I prefer a double wide to inline for same-aged kids, and I sure wasn't going to buy a second stroller just for amusement parks.

I didn't take my kids to amusement parks as babies and had little to do with strollers once they could walk, but I suppose we did bother some people at the zoo once or twice.  Oh well.

• Like 1

PS what is the "danger" some cite to having double strollers in a crowd?  They can be moved out of the way just as fast if not faster than multiple single strollers, or multiple tiny kids on foot for that matter.

If they are going to limit strollers, I wonder why they aren't limiting them based on age for kids who do not have disabilities.  There are a lot of rather big kids who are in strollers / wagons just because the parents won't require them to walk or carry their stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AK_Mom4 said:

How fun and impressive

• Like 1

I’m guessing the smoking is also partially  to do with venues like the Wide World of Sports-where there definitely were people smoking outside the buildingsa few weeks ago when we were there for DD’s cheer competition particularly outside the one where the Pre-season baseball was going on. 

1 hour ago, SKL said:

PS what is the "danger" some cite to having double strollers in a crowd?  They can be moved out of the way just as fast if not faster than multiple single strollers, or multiple tiny kids on foot for that matter.

If they are going to limit strollers, I wonder why they aren't limiting them based on age for kids who do not have disabilities.  There are a lot of rather big kids who are in strollers / wagons just because the parents won't require them to walk or carry their stuff.

I can't tell you how many of these large strollers I physically bumped into when we were there a few months ago. I could have gotten hurt, honestly. Yes, before anyone asks, I am good about watching where I am going and I didn't even have any of my own kids around to distract me, either. It is crowded there and there isn't always space to get out of the way of an oncoming stroller, either. Often parents let older siblings push these strollers and they simply aren't good at controlling them because they are heavy. Additionally,  people are tired & therefore had no hesitation whatsoever as far as stopping abruptly in paths, causing people to bump into them or to detour around them. That's when the object, in this case a large stroller, becomes a hazard with regards to evacuation, too. There are tens of thousands of people in these parks at one time and thousands of these strollers - it really is an issue. I'm glad they addressed it.

ETA: I haven't even address the issue of the large strollers on the monorails - the monorails weren't designed with giant strollers in mind. Some of them really do take up all of the space in a section - space where 4-5 people could stand. On a crowded day, that's a lot of people.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I'm pretty sure the problem with ice was people dumping out their coolers on the ground. People are welcome to bring ice packs, just not loose ice. I haven't figured out the problem with dry ice because doesn't that come in packs anyway?

If that gets out, it could cause burns if someone touches it without appropriate precautions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Because that is age discrimination and leaves way too much up to the discretion of the family and the employees. The size of a stroller can be objectively measured.

• Like 1

A 36 inch wide stroller sounds HUGE to me.    Are strollers really that big now?  They weren't that large when my kids were little.  I primarily used a sit-and-stand for my kids.  Ds was 2 when dd was born and never liked being strapped in.  The sit-and-stand worked great.

Our last visit to Disney World was, unfortunately, at the beginning of spring break (the only time we could travel). Crowds were bad enough, but the sea of strollers was ridiculous. I found myself getting very cranky and irritable and decided then that if your kid can't propel themselves through Disney, they aren't old enough to go. And this occurred to me precisely because most stroller users were not babies or even toddlers but 4-7 year olds. We didn't go to Disney until youngest had just turned 5. She lasted from park opening to closing without a stroller--it can be done! It wouldn't bother me much if it were just a few kids, but strollers just seem to be way over used. (and I know I'm a hypocrite, pusing my dd's wheelchair, but she truly can't walk, unlike most of the stroller users).

• Like 6

6 hours ago, SKL said:

I could understand the smoking, and I don't really care about the ice.  The stroller limit might be obnoxious though.  For those of us with kids very close in age, we shouldn't have to buy a new stroller just to fit into a theme park.  (I don't know but my kids' side-by-side umbrella might have been slightly wider than 31".)

The double normal size ones are fine. Just not the new jumbo ones that seem to be the choice lately. And thank goodness this gets rid of the ones that are really meant for bikes that have that nice metal attachment that sticks out.

Hopefully, this gets rid of the giant carriage one that kills the ankles when it runs into you....

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 2

I am glad! Big strollers are always an inconvience to others. They take up so much space, and people seem to walk so much slower pushing them. I also find sometimes people buy the big strollers and don't realize little kids really can walk and walk a lot just fine. It just takes getting through a little complaining if kids aren't used to it. 

24 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Our last visit to Disney World was, unfortunately, at the beginning of spring break (the only time we could travel). Crowds were bad enough, but the sea of strollers was ridiculous. I found myself getting very cranky and irritable and decided then that if your kid can't propel themselves through Disney, they aren't old enough to go. And this occurred to me precisely because most stroller users were not babies or even toddlers but 4-7 year olds. We didn't go to Disney until youngest had just turned 5. She lasted from park opening to closing without a stroller--it can be done! It wouldn't bother me much if it were just a few kids, but strollers just seem to be way over used. (and I know I'm a hypocrite, pusing my dd's wheelchair, but she truly can't walk, unlike most of the stroller users).

I do agree with this.  I have traveled a lot with my kids, but never with the stroller after they could both walk well.  They walked for miles on any given day.  I do recall one time when they were 2 and we were out in Pittsburgh, walking the hills after midnight (for someone's 50th birthday celebration), and I ended up having to carry both of them.  It didn't kill any of us though.

But as a single parent of 2 babies, I really truly did need a double stroller until they were about 1.5.  It wasn't a cadillac - it was really the simplest reasonable stroller I could find at the time.  It fit through all commercial doors etc. and folded umbrella-style.

Maybe there would be less hate for strollers if so many people didn't use them for kids capable of walking.

Anyhoo - I don't really care about Disney - but I would have thought that the concerns of little people would be more important than the concerns of able-bodied adults as far as ease of travel through a Disney park.  Then again, I haven't been there since my kids were 7, so maybe it has gotten a lot worse recently ....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

The adaptive strollers

Nope, the one we used on our last trip was 66" long. It was honestly way too big for in shops, etc. but it was a great size for a 10 yo with ASD. So no, for us, I don't know what we'll do. We let our annual passes expire, and I think from now on we'll just do parties or the EMM or something for a few hours. But really, the party we did without a stroller was scary. We'll see. I did look to see if some other strollers from Orlando Medical Rentals will fit him. I'm not sure. The one was used last time (Liberty Freedom? I forget) was AMAZING. It would fold in half with just one tug.

So yeah, to me I'm probably one of the ones people are like wow why is she doing that?? Of course who pushes 130 pounds through the park if they don't have to? So before we plan our next trip, we'll be calling, yes. It sounds like they're going to have kinks to work out.

53 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Our last visit to Disney World was, unfortunately, at the beginning of spring break (the only time we could travel). Crowds were bad enough, but the sea of strollers was ridiculous. I found myself getting very cranky and irritable and decided then that if your kid can't propel themselves through Disney, they aren't old enough to go. And this occurred to me precisely because most stroller users were not babies or even toddlers but 4-7 year olds.

Fwiw, I think it must vary with the time of year. We only have gone during low crowds and I didn't see that many HUGE strollers at all. Seemed kinda reasonable levels. But I can understand where it would get bad! For my ds, he has walked through the parks, but then he has dangerous meltdowns. So he's 10 and we've been putting him in a stroller to keep him *and everyone else* safe. And even with the stroller, we usually do 6 hours in the parks total per day.

Disney is still (I assume) renting their strollers. It's not like the number will decrease, just maybe the size. We rented a double Disney when my ds was 9 and he fit in it fine. So the parks can still be filled with strollers under the new specs, seems to me.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:25 PM, SKL said:

Just went looking at old photos of my kids' stroller to try to convince myself that it was obnoxious.

All I can say is, haters gonna hate, LOL.

DSC02222 crop.JPG

Your girls are precious!

I wouldn't have any problems with that stroller at Disney.

This is the type of stroller that I took issue with - and apparently others did, too. It measures 46 x 31.5 x 42 inches. It also weighs 32 pounds before kids are added - wow, that's a lot of weight to push around - that takes some impressive muscle!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BVMSHTZ/ref=psdc_173210011_t2_B073JWW7DW

These are the "wagon strollers" others have mentioned - although I think this one actually passes muster at 37 x 25 x 23 inches (there are larger ones):

https://smile.amazon.com/Veer-Cruiser-Generation-Premium-Stroller/dp/B074YJY8LQ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=wagon+stroller&qid=1553818532&s=baby-products&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TechWife said:

This is the type of stroller that I took issue with - and apparently others did, too. It measures 46 x 31.5 x 42 inches. It also weighs 32 pounds before kids are added - wow, that's a lot of weight to push around - that takes some impressive muscle!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BVMSHTZ/ref=psdc_173210011_t2_B073JWW7DW

That is the type I used at Disneyland though the brand I had was Instep (Schwinn). The two back wheels are bicycle wheels. I could push three kids (total weight about 100lbs) with change of clothes and spare beach towels in the stroller basket easily. This was my regular walk around the neighborhood to the library, supermarket and light rail station stroller so I was careful of not hitting any fellow pedestrians.

The Bob Revolution Double Jogger is 30.5” wide so could be used at Disneyland and Disney World even under the new policy. The jogger weights 33lbs but is also very easy to push even with total passenger weight of about 100lbs.

• Like 1

We had an umbrella stroller like the one SKL's (adorable!) girls are in. It would have fit. The nice thing about those is that they were the width of ADA wheelchair accessible requirements, which may be part of how they chose the measurements. Now there are so many skinny double strollers that are way nicer.

We weren't there during a super busy time, but in the busy bits, the big strollers were annoying. I'm glad they're out. The ice is just a minor hassle to adjust to for anyone who was bringing in food. I brought an ice pack for our sandwiches.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

@SKL your girls are adorable!  And I also believe that double strollers like yours do not cause issues in the parks.  My negative experience was with the oversized ones with the metal frames - and mostly with their drivers.

For the record, Disney has stated that the rule changes on strollers and stroller wagons do not apply to the accommodations they provide for guests with disabilities.  Adaptive strollers and other devices will still be welcome in the parks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Nope, the one we used on our last trip was 66" long. It was honestly way too big for in shops, etc. but it was a great size for a 10 yo with ASD. So no, for us, I don't know what we'll do. We let our annual passes expire, and I think from now on we'll just do parties or the EMM or something for a few hours. But really, the party we did without a stroller was scary. We'll see. I did look to see if some other strollers from Orlando Medical Rentals will fit him. I'm not sure. The one was used last time (Liberty Freedom? I forget) was AMAZING. It would fold in half with just one tug.

So yeah, to me I'm probably one of the ones people are like wow why is she doing that?? Of course who pushes 130 pounds through the park if they don't have to? So before we plan our next trip, we'll be calling, yes. It sounds like they're going to have kinks to work out.

You we're able, at least before, to go to one if the booths in the beginning and get a tag for the handicapped stroller that indicated it was to be treated like a wheelchair.   Likely that will continue.

• Like 2

I have one of those big strollers.  At least I thought I did.  It's a Bob Dualie, but according to the measurements I found online it would still be allowed.  It fits through any door that accepts a wide wheelchair. I guess not all of those double strollers do.   I wonder if they're talking more about those renal Cinderella pumpkin strollers, like this type of thing: https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/disney-vacations/rent-cinderella-carriages-walt-disney-world

9 minutes ago, Katy said:

I have one of those big strollers.  At least I thought I did.  It's a Bob Dualie, but according to the measurements I found online it would still be allowed.  It fits through any door that accepts a wide wheelchair. I guess not all of those double strollers do.   I wonder if they're talking more about those renal Cinderella pumpkin strollers, like this type of thing: https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/disney-vacations/rent-cinderella-carriages-walt-disney-world

Oh my. Yeah, that might be the target of this. Oy.