Menu

10th grade planning 2019-2020

I'm starting this one, too, because I have a rising 10th grader, and because it's the only one not started. 🙂

Plans for next year so far:

Math - MUS Geometry

English - homemade literature and composition, some tied to history, composition across subjects

Science - Master Books' Survey of Archaeology and Geology

History - mostly MOH 3, some of 4  Notgrass EWH book 2

Electives - Intro to Rhetoric, and I want him to pick something he's interested in, will also give him 1/2 credit of PE

Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 2

Math: Honors Pre-calculus (either online or at home with syllabus from Kolbe Academy)

English: Not sure, but will include world literature and composition

Science: Honors Chemistry (online or with syllabus from Kolbe Academy) OR a science elective of her choice

History:  Not sure except that she'll probably be doing a one year study of world history

Faith Formation: Bible, Catechism, The Hidden Power of Kindness, something by St. Teresa of Avila

Spanish 2: online at Kolbe Academy

Philosophy: not sure what we'll use for this yet

Logic: Second half of Discovery of Deduction

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI
  • Like 2

So much is still up in the air. But if I was to decide today and teach most at home it would go like this: 

Math Alg. 1- using what is offered on SchoolHouseTeachers dot com, read LOF, and practice on Kahn Academy

English 2 WWS, a bit of R&S grammar review, R&S spelling and Dyslexia Games and Thinking Tree materials, plus lit tied to history and related writing.  She does fine here except for spelling, so we can't leave it out. 

Biology- if her co-op teacher does it next year, we will stick with her. If not I will teach it myself. We have several options to use at home. We have Apologia and we have SchoolhouseTeachers dot com subscription, and probably more if I look through everything 

It is going to be a big history year here:  US History 1 credit, US Government1/2 credit, and State History 1/2 credit. We are using a Unit Study- The History of Fashion as her timeline and will give another 1/2 credit of an elective course for that. Don't know what texts I will be using yet for Am history. But I have a state history text, and all kinds of texts that could be history spines to choose from, plus again, the classes on SchoolHouseTeachers to look through. The Fashion of History unit study is actually very well laid out and includes history and geography. But I want to put together the right combo of all of the history. Not there yet. 

Fashion of History 1/2 Fine Arts credit elective 

Dance 1/2 credit of PE 

Foreign Language???? SO up in the air as to if she is going to do Latin 2 or move onto Spanish or French. She can't decide. 

****** And all is subject to change. She is considering looking into a votech program that would limit our at home to just English, Math, Science, and History. If that happens, I may put off the Am. History year for her to another year so we can go this indepth, meaning she would not get the full four years of World History, WTM style, but if that is what works, we'll make sure she gets the required. So will be back to update when I make it down my million to do lists of things to research. 

• Like 2

Algebra-Teaching Textbooks 

English-Words Aptly Spoken short stories, EIW, Spelling Power, lit through history and physics

American History-Sonlight Core 100 history only pared down for my dyslexic or AGS 

Physics-Guest Hollow conceptual physics

Art-Creating a Masterpiece plus plenty of art on her own

Chinese II-Chinese with Mike

Bible-The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study 

• Like 3

Math: Foerster's Pre-calc

Lit/Writing: we're still working our way slowly through Writing with Skill, so I'll probably have him finish that. For lit, I'm considering doing a year of Shakespeare somehow or other, but that might change into a more traditional world or British lit

Chemistry: somewhere else! I'm terrible at doing science; I'm doing bio here this year and my only goal for chem is to have someone else teach it (although I also need it to be somewhere that either gets him ready for the AP or subject test or somewhere accredited, to make sure he's set for applying to our state flagship)

Social Science: totally up in the air, but I'm thinking of doing AP government with him at home

Spanish: probably Spanish 2 online through Georgia virtual school, if it goes okay this semester.

Music: year of music! He'll keep taking clarinet and piano lessons and doing local homeschool band. Maybe marching band there, too, and maybe woodwind ensemble, and he's auditioning for a youth symphony. He's thinking of a music major, so next year will be the year when we test out whether he's really up for THAT much music in his life. 

• Like 3

Um... so far...

Algebra II... not taught by me... that's all I got for that

Year two of world history and literature... I'm writing a curriculum for this (like, that will be available to buy soon) that integrates lit and history. I've liked doing this for Africa and Asia this year. We'll do Europe next year and my kids can play guinea pigs again.

French II for Balletboy through... somewhere. Some language or other for Mushroom. I'd love for him to do Chinese so I can practice mine, but I doubt he's on board. He'd rather not learn a language at all. Oh well.

Beyond that... I have NO CLUE. Unless anyone comes up with an opinion about science, I'm thinking they'll do chemistry and I'll enroll online for something. I'm going to see if BalletBoy wants to do an econ class. Mushroom will hopefully continue with some coding. Yeah... I don't know. It'll shape up somehow.

• Like 4

I haven't decided much of anything for my kids next year. Ds14 will be a 10th grader.

Math: Foerster's Algebra II

Science: Biology (He is doing Chemistry this year.)

History: Ancients, probably TOG

Literature: Probably year 1 TOG

Spanish: Breaking the Barrier II

Chinese: ?? His class was cancelled for the spring semester, and I am unsure what to replace it with.

Possibly a finance or logic class.

• Like 2

In addition to piano lessons,daily required personal fitness, drama, speech and debate, and a one week mission trip, DD will be:

Finishing VT Algebra and moving on to VT Geometry

Continuing Visual Link Spanish - going on to levels 2 & 3

Apologia Health (1/2 credit)

Apologia Chemistry

USH - not sure yet if I will be able to entice her to watch the Great Courses lectures with me or if she'll choose the no nonsense boring route and just read American Odyssey - either way she will do CT in USH for output

WttW combined with some EiL units

1/2 credit elective TBD - she's kicked around the idea of accounting or sign language but hasn't decided yet

• Like 2

If she stays home with me, this will be the plan.  Otherwise, there is a strong possibility she may be attending our local Catholic high school next year.

Math:  Algebra II (AoPS con't Intro to Algebra & some Dolciani for review) + Geometry (Jurgensen?)  - w/me at home

English Lit:  Combo of the Great Courses and Homeschool Connection lectures - Fall of Rome through Middle Ages books + WWS3 (and something else, maybe cross curr. writing)  -  w/me at home

History:  Homeschool Connection lectures & books - Fall of Rome through Middle Ages -  w/me at home

Foreign Language:  Latin II through local Catholic high school

Science:  Chemistry through online state elearning (using Biology this year w/great success!!)

Religion:  continue Walking w/God (Cavins) w/Dad in co-op setting

Logic:  continue Socratic Logic (Kreeft) w/Dad in co-op setting (1/2 credit)

maybe continue w/piano, scouts, not sure...I'd love it if she joined debate!!  But every time I mention it, she gives me a sideways scowl...hee, hee

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Farrar said:

I'm writing a curriculum for this (like, that will be available to buy soon) that integrates lit and history. I've liked doing this for Africa and Asia this year. We'll do Europe next year and my kids can play guinea pigs again.

Ooooh...you'll have to tell us more about this. Maybe you have, and I've missed it...

• Like 1

We are in the process of moving from FL to SC in less than 2 weeks so while I know what classes I want DS14 to take, I am not sure what form they will take.  I am looking at private school (very slim chance of this happening), co-ops and online classes.  There is an academic co-op that seems promising in our new location, but I have some concerns.  We are visiting and shadowing in mid-March so hopefully I can get a better handle on things by then.

Math:  pre-calc (Derek Owens or local co-op - local co-op has an honors option)
Writing:  Rhetoric I (most likely through WTMA)
History:  Medieval History (through WTMA)
Lit:  PA Homeschooler's Honors Pre-AP English
Science:  honors chemistry (either online or through local co-op)
Spanish II:  either through co-op (they have an honors option) or WTMA
Health:  no clue what we will use
Elective:  maybe some sort of engineering elective (DS14 wants to be an aeronautical engineer)

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Ooooh...you'll have to tell us more about this. Maybe you have, and I've missed it...

I'll put a link in my sig when it's got a webpage. It's integrated history and English. Year one is all African and Asian history and lit, reading things like Things Fall Apart, The Dark Child, The Ramayana, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, Kitchen... As well as lots of poetry and excerpts, like from Gilgamesh, The Rig Veda, Journey to the West, etc. And there's a "heroes" literature theme. And a wide variety of writing assignments. Lots of varied history readings and in depth short answer questions for history. Lots of movies. The Middle East unit is framed around three graphic novels... It's working well for us. And I made it look pretty. I didn't like that there was so little out there for secular English and history for high school at home.

• Like 5

On 2/6/2019 at 4:39 PM, sdobis said:

Chinese II-Chinese with Mike

How do you quantify the work into a high school credit? Just curious as my kids have a Chinese tutor and we are Chinese. Thinking whether my criteria is too stringent as I am giving a 0.5 credit for my kids work with their tutor.

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

How do you quantify the work into a high school credit? Just curious as my kids have a Chinese tutor and we are Chinese. Thinking whether my criteria is too stringent as I am giving a 0.5 credit for my kids work with their tutor.

I am basing her credit on time spent on the subject. We are moving very slowly through the book to give her plenty of time for memorization. We only spend about 20-30 minutes per day, but we are sticking with it all year long so we don't lose it all in the summer.

• Like 1

Hmm, still much to decide, but here's what I know so far . . .

Math: Algebra II (WHA - Mr. Reini)

English Lit. & Comp.: EiL American Lit, Sadlier Vocab, Daily Grams (10)

Science: (Pre-AP) Chemistry (WHA)

History: Either dual enrollment for something like Western Civ (or equivalent) OR Notgrass Government and Economics

Electives: Not sure yet - possibly dual enrollment in something business related

He will also continue swimming competitively and piano lessons. 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:19 AM, Farrar said:

I'll put a link in my sig when it's got a webpage. It's integrated history and English. Year one is all African and Asian history and lit, reading things like Things Fall Apart, The Dark Child, The Ramayana, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, Kitchen... As well as lots of poetry and excerpts, like from Gilgamesh, The Rig Veda, Journey to the West, etc. And there's a "heroes" literature theme. And a wide variety of writing assignments. Lots of varied history readings and in depth short answer questions for history. Lots of movies. The Middle East unit is framed around three graphic novels... It's working well for us. And I made it look pretty. I didn't like that there was so little out there for secular English and history for high school at home.

Very interesting!  Most times you see a fairly standard approach to history and lit. Sometimes it takes putting an alternative out there for us to think outside the proverbial box. Thanks for sharing a tidbit to anticipate exploring your offerings when you're done. 

• Like 1

After a 9th grade year of lots of "recalculations", we realize that online courses have not been a good fit for DS this past year.  Plans for next year include:

English 10 - American Lit taught at tutorial

Algebra 2 - Teaching Textbooks (I have a love/hate relationship with TT but if it keeps me from ending up in jail, I'm willing to concede)

Chemistry w/Lab - undecided (possibly at a tutorial or online with Homeschool Connections which definitely isn't my first choice 😏)

U.S. History & Geography - tutorial

Religion - tutorial

Spanish II - Homeschool Connections

20th Century Art - tutorial

We're basically in "just get through it" mode.  I don't feel like it's an overly ambitious plan but DS will likely apply to regional university that's not that competitive.  I'm learning to be okay with that 😣

• Like 1

I like to post in these threads and then check back later to see how much I changed from my original plan.

Algebra 2 - probably Larson Intermediate Algebra

Great Conversations 3 - WHA

Spanish 2 - WHA

Physics - planning on Clover Creek

Some other writing - no idea yet

Elective of some sort at our co-op

Edited by Kalypso

Extremely tentative plan because we are still modifying 9th grade plans this semester 🙂

History - US History with DS13 (tutor)

English (including literature) - tutor

German - Saturday class

Chinese - tutor

Math - Linear Algebra

Science - Modern Physics

PE - tennis 

Electives - no idea what DS14 might pick. I am thinking a brick and mortar summer Psychology class with DS13 would be fun.

Derek Owens Honors Algebra 2

Derek Owens Honors Physics

Sonlight 420 - American Literature

Hopefully AP US Government. through PA Homeschoolers. If he's not accepted then he'll probably do Sonlight American Government.

French 3 with a local tutor

Apologia Health & Nutrition (1/2 credit)

Summer swim team and archery count as his P.E. as well as going to the gym/pool during the year to use the weights and swim laps.

If he has time - the first 8 modules of Apologia Anatomy & Physiology. The second 8 modules would be completed Junior year.

Contemplating a local tutorial class on Christian Worldview.

He'll also continue with trumpet lessons, band, jazz band, Trail Life, and volunteering as a youth historical interpreters.  We are undecided as to whether he will continue with a competitive science team.

Ds14 was discussing school next year, mainly to delay working on school this year.

Ds14: Why are we studying ancients next year?

Me, confused: What? (While my brain was screaming, "Do your math!"

Ds14: Shouldn't we keep progressing? (We will end our year with current affairs.) You know. Study the...future.

LOL I think Dd15 and I will be the ones to flesh out our history plans for next year.

• Haha 4

A lot of what I'm planning for 10th will be new curriculum for us. So, as I found this year, I may need to change course. I'm also a little uncertain for some subjects. But, right now, I plan:

Math:Algebra II I'm not sure what curriculum(s). I am using a different geometry curriculum for each of my kids right now, and once past Alg II I believe they will need to diverge again. However, I'm hoping they can do Algebra II with the same curriculum. So I need to find something to fit both.  

LA: A Hero's Journey (OM) + 1-2 upper level books added in. This will be new to us, but I'm really hoping it's a good fit. I purchased it for 9th grade, and then decided I wanted to use other materials to lay a strong composition and lit foundation first. 

Science: Biology II outsourced locally

Geography: Oak Meadow. Will be new curriculum for us/we've never used Oak Meadow before.

Spanish: We flailed around this year, beginning with Latin, then moving to Spanish that didn't work. We finally landed on Complete Spanish Step by Step (McGraw-Hill). I think we'll stick with that and add in some Spanish speaking practice via tutor. 

Other: PE/health (same as this year for both) , and I need to figure out what to use for a fine arts credit. 

Edited by sbgrace

On 2/8/2019 at 9:19 AM, Farrar said:

This sounds wonderful! I've been wanting to do a focused history study of the Eastern hemisphere (non-European/American) in high school, but couldn't find anything at that level. I'll be eagerly looking forward to your release.

• Like 1

I have just started planning, we are starting 10th grade in June 2019, due to him having open heart surgery.  I have a lot of I don't know yet on my list, I need to decide soon.  

Math- Alg. 2   Teaching Textbooks or Saxon Math with DIVE

Science- Chemistry    Apologia or BJU  We have always used Apologia for science but I like the looks of BJU.  

LA - Fix it Grammar with IEW  I am not sure what literature will do. 

History - The History of the Renaissance World or World History BJU 

Finance - Dave Ramsey Foundations in Personal Finance high school edition - 1/2 credit 

Bible - no idea 

French - Duolingo

Architecture - Practical Drafting Applied Engineering Workbook 

ACT/SAT prep - SAT vocabulary book, Barrons ACT flash cards, practice tests.   -  He has major text anxiety.  I started with them this year just to help him be more comfortable with it. 

P.E - Swim club - whenever he gets cleared to go back to swimming. 

Piano- private lessons

• Like 1

Still in the planning stages although I suppose I should start narrowing things down ...

English 10-  British Literature 

Geometry- Jacob's with My Fun Science 

French 1- Online with Excelsior

Chemistry- Still deciding on a text.  Will be continuing doing labs with local friends every other week.

History-  Modern History 1900-present day 

Speech        

PE

Piano lessons 

Possible semester long electives he's choosing between:

Microsoft Essentials, or possibly doing Government and Econ or Philosophy with older brother

Edited by Homemama2

• 3 weeks later...

My oldest will be in 10th this fall.  

Math: I was originally planning on Foerster Algebra 2, but I'm not 100% sure.  He's pretty stuck on Geometry right now, so we may just work our way through MUS Geometry and use MUS from there on out.  It wasn't the original plan, but it may be the best plan for him.  

History:  History of the Medieval World/History of the Renaissance World + study guides

LA:  Writing: A couple classes online with Lantern English + Classical Composition 1 (Memoria)
       Grammar: Analytical Grammar

Science: Chemistry.  I was leaning toward Apologia but again, thinking about changing it up.  

Foreign Language:  Greek.  Is it ancient Greek?  I'm not sure off the top of my head...  but considering Lukeion, Koine, Athenaze....

Work through the list for this time period in WEM (not necessarily all of them)

Lastly, he always picks a couple electives from Great Courses.  And we are a part of a co-op, but it's mainly extracurricular.

I'm on my 3rd 10th grader.  This is so exciting and sad at the same time.  I knew once I graduated the first, it wouldn't take long and it would just be a steady stream of my kids leaving 😞

Pokeman will be in 10th.

• Bible:  Dust to Glory
  • English:  Textword Press, World Lit selections, SAT English Prep (Blue Book of Grammar and Reading), Killgallon for High School, weekly essays based upon literature; finishing up the Logic series (Argument Builder)
  • Math:  PreCalculus (Chalkdust & AoPS), with SAT Review (Khan Academy)
  • History:  Western Civilization (with CLEP)
  • Science:  Chemistry (either AP or Honors level -- deciding between the Seilberg book and Clutch Prep with Educator.com AP review, or BJU w/DVD -- this is his decision.
  • Chinese:  Not certain yet, he's continuing with Udemy and his daily on-line gaming on the Asian Server for speaking practice -- am looking for opportunities when we move to Norfolk -- but since I don't know where I'm living, it's all kind of pointless atm.  I looked into some online courses (from the FL pinned post), but most (if not all) Chinese are no longer available 😞  
  • Electives:  These will be drawing/computer programming based -- I expect through Udemy/Edx/Educator.com or something similar.  He'll have 2-4, depending upon what they wind up being.

I have two more years until my next 10th grader -- unless we decide she needs one more year in high school.  I vacillate with that one a lot. 

Still working on dd plan, but here's what I have so far:

Math:  (Honors) Pre-Calculus with Derek Owens

History:  AP US Government with PA Homeschoolers

Science:  Chemistry (non-honors) with Clover Valley Chemistry

Foreign Language:  French 2 (my husband is fluent so he's her teacher.  He is using books by McGraw Hill Ed's "Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar 3rd ed, French Verb Tenses 3rd ed, French Conversation 2nd ed" and some short stories.

Elective:  AP Psychology with PA Homeschoolers

English:  Still working on it!

Fine Arts:  Weekly flute lessons and flute ensemble, tap dancing, possibly cross country or track but not sure since she's always been more into dance (we'd be doing it for exercise and social), pottery wheel for teens

For 10th next year:

-Finish Jacob's Geometry and begin Alg II with Lial's w/me

-Earth Science w/The Potter's School

-Ancient History w/History of the Ancient World and a few Great Courses w/me

-English at our local PS, which will probably be lame.  I'm planning to add the EIW World Literature books to be listened to on audio just for my own peace of mind.

-Welding at the local PS

-Dyslexia remediation at the local PS

-Intro to Engineering w/The Potter's School

-Spanish II w/me

Here's my plan for next year;

English:  Academic Writing (at co-op)

Math:  Jacob's Geometry

Science:  Apologia Biology

Social Studies:  Introduction to Geography (at co-op)

Occupational Ed:  R&S Recordkeeping

Fine Arts:  Piano

PE w/ Health (mix of co-op and at home and using Total Health curriculum)

Electives:  Sewing (at co-op)

• 2 weeks later...

For my dd14 next year:

English 2: HSLDA Academy and possibly Continued IEW Intensive C through a local homeschool class

Math: Finish CLE Algebra 1 and Geometry through a local homeschool class

Social Studies: "World History 2" History Revealed: Romans, Reformers and Revolutionaries and World Empires, World Missions and World Wars

Science: Experience Astronomy- Advanced

Fine Arts: Piano 2 (local lessons)

Foreign Language: Japanese 1 through CLRC or WTMA (not sure yet)

Elective 1: Career Exploration with 7 Sisters Homeschool

Elective 2: Finish Computer Savvy with Compuscholar

Physical Education: Ballroom Dancing and gym

History Club

BETA Club

Homeschool Archery Club (not 100% about this)

I didn't realize how busy her workload was until I typed this up!!

• Spanish III with me + review/practice of Spanish II with HSA
  • US History - local class
  • Biology - local class 
  • Algebra 2 - Derek Owens
  • English lit & writing - feminism, women's studies (all still TBD, created by me)
  • Aerial, ballet, acro/tumbling, musical theater, etc.
  • Still thinking about other electives.. 

I’ll play.  Nailing it down this early in the game is probably pointless. Nevertheless. . 

Lit/language: Lit Analysis at co op (I’m teaching) with WttW + ?

Math: Algebra II with DO 

Science: chemistry (honors or non honors?) with Clover Valley self-grading 

History: ancient history (?)

Electives: health at co op (LifePacs); world religions (co op); robotics (co op); physical Ed at home somehow 

Me: 😓🤪 I'm not even entirely sure DD qualifies as a 10th grader, but I couldn't find a 9th grade planning thread and she's 10th by age, so...

Uh...extremely tentatively:

Math: no idea, maybe another pass through Algebra 1, or consumer math of some kind? Maybe geometry (MUS? Math Relief? Mr. D?) I'll give her some placement tests near the end of the summer. The idea is to work towards math at the local community college, and they may want to do a remedial course.

English: hoping for English Composition 1 at local CC 

History: no idea. World geography maybe?

Science: Oak Meadow environmental science or Pacworks chemistry

Foreign Language: ASL1 at local CC or Norwegian with the Fluent Forever app, if it's ready in time. She really wants to study Norwegian, and there's a dearth of materials

Elective/s: Oak Meadow Health & Fitness, drawing (local CC, probably)

Dd’s 9th grade year has been such a good fit that we’re basically ‘doing the next thing’. She’s an aspiring classical ballerina who lives away from home with a host family while training; she’ll move next year to one of two ballet schools, so I’m having to guess a bit on her likely schedule/availability. Obviously all courses are outsourced since she isn’t at home to work with me.

Math: Algebra 2 at WHA

Foreign Language: Latin 2 at WHA

English/History: Great Books 2 at CLRC  Unfortunately I guessed wrong on her schedule. She can't participate live in the GB class, so I think I'm going to enroll her in an asynchronous AP English Language class (W/Serbecki at AIM Academy, I hope) + Thinkwell AP U.S. Government

Science: Chemistry at Clover Valley

Fine Arts/PE: Ballet 32 hours/week

Elective: AP Art History at WHA*

*Still deciding on this one. I think she can handle one extra credit next year and we’ll have an easy AP test location local to one of the potential ballet schools. Would love to hear more feedback on Mr. Colvin’s class, though.

*Would still love to hear feedback on WHA's AP Art History, but I went ahead and enrolled her in this class.

Edited by fourisenough
Life is a moving target

• 2 weeks later...

Ninth grade was seriously misery.  We were finally trying to "do real school" vs. letting ds do mostly what he wanted (since he had always been pretty academically motivated on his own until 8th grade).  #fail  But I feel like it was a great "learning" year for he and I in terms of what we need to focus on and how to get things done, so #win.  He is seriously all over the map in terms of future goals.  He's traditionally been my STEM kid and now it's theater and costume construction and writing.  🙄

• ELA: AP Literature at PA Homeschoolers with Serbicki
  • Math: Pre-calc  Not yet firm on where.  Mr. D, Derek Owens, IL Virtual and Time4Learning are all actual contenders
  • Science:  Conceptual physics taught through the coschool I run using Modeling Instruction.  He's already done bio and chem but not using this instructional method (which results in a much more thorough understanding--so he might actually do chem again with me this way next year)
  • Social Sci:  Gov't using Great Books Three Branches of Gov't through the coschool I run
  • PE:  Clueless.  We totally bailed on this last year.  He'll either do swimming and/or marital arts.
  • Arts:  Possibly through the local HS if we can make the schedule work.  Theater Arts or studio art.  Honestly, we can probably bang out a year of credit via summer instruction in this dept.
  • Foreign Lang:  Latin 2 with Lukeion for legit credit and Italian with Rosetta Stone and home practice (relatively useless, but lots of overlap with Latin and Spanish; and relevant for our family as we have relatives that still live there and we are on year 2 of however-many-we-can-pull-off of visiting).  I feel like 4 years of Latin would fit this bill if he went to college.  Am I "off" on this one?
  • Electives:  Intro to Logic with CLRC (his request).  I'm not sure we could do any more than this with everything else.
  • Extracurricular:
    • Science Olympiad team  (we know he'll take on cryptography, but not sure what other events)
    • volunteering at the Humane Society
    • lots of theater including (hopefully) some working on costume construction

We're actually going to start really documenting his extra-curricular stuff and look at what fits as a transcriptable credit vs. what's developing him as a human.

• Like 1

I can relate to 9th grade being (somewhat) miserable. DS has had trouble all year accepting that high school requires more analysis, thought and just plain "work" than middle school did. We only got about 2/3 done of what I had planned for 9th grade....oh well. He's my oldest, so first high schooler I've homeschooled, but so different than the ones coming up behind him that I will need to start over from scratch figuring out high school for them. Here's what I am thinking so far but the rose colored lenses are off and I realize that we may not get through everything.

Mathematics: Geometry!!! Finally!!! After taking two years to thoroughly work with Algebra I, I am hoping that Geometry only takes 1 year. Not sure what I'll use but I have several options I'm looking over. I know it won't be Jacobs because that style is not a good fit for him even though I like it. We did Saxon Algebra 1/2 and CLE Algebra 1; he really needs no frills and a tight spiral.

Language Arts/English II: Okay, so I decided not to allow the energy drain that was English 1 this year happen again next year. That, and my other kids complaining about never having enough of my time, led me to enroll DS in Blue Tent online's Intro to Literature & Composition for 10th grade. It encompasses Vocabulary, Grammar, Composition and Literature  and even includes Shakespeare study. It's expensive but I'm SO excited about this! Hopefully, as it's an asynchronous class, the online aspect won't be dreadful for DS. The plan is to go over the week's work assignments on Sunday evening and have him take more responsibility than this year  for actually completing and turning in work.

Vocabulary: Sadlier Grade 10

Grammar: Jensen's Grammar (this is really just a supplemental backup to Latin and probably only once a week). Jensen's Punctuation because he needs the review.

Composition: DS got plenty of exposure to, and practice with, writing several different types of essays in Open Tent's All About Essays class this year. His organization in particular has vastly improved. I think now I will take a step back and have him do the "essay prep" Brave Writer classes because I think some of the things they address are still not solid for him. After that, I probably will go to IEW Level C Continuation (with theme books) mixed in with some WWS Level 1 & 2. If I do IEW Windows to the World for part of literature, there will be writing there, too.

Literature: Ohhh, it's been a struggle this year. DS wants to read a story or novel, fill in a plot diagram, answer a few recall/comprehension level questions, and call it a day! Drilling deeper for themes, symbolism etc. , (i.e., high school level literature work) earned me this comment (said with a curled lip of disgust), "Why do you take this so seriously?" He has never enjoyed reading fiction for fun so it's been a slog. I am thinking maybe IEW Windows to the World combined with some short story and poetry units I have found on Teachers Pay Teachers along with some high interest novels. Maybe a short novel reading club type of class on Outschool for the group interaction.  We did The Giver this year on Outschool, and he enjoyed that even though I found the analysis a bit shallow for high school (I supplemented and he didn't mind because he actually liked the book).

Although I would like my DS to study Shakespeare, I don't think he has the patience and persistence yet. I may group him with his 6th grade sister when we delve into Lamb's Shakespeare Tales for an introduction.

Science: Clover Creek Conceptual Physics online. DS really dislikes online classes so I hope this one holds his interest.

Foreign Language: Latin II with So You Really Want to Learn Latin Level II combined with Famous Men of Rome (started this year). Also quizlet for review. Latin has been a win—DS really enjoys it!!

History: He's a history lover and has been on an advanced track since 8th grade at our homeschool co-op. For 10th DS will take US History at the co-op. If time permits, some free online Hillsdale College courses such as Introduction to the Constitution, American Heritage from Colonial Settlement Until Current Day, and The Second World Wars.

Introductory Logic: Tried to get to this in 9th but couldn't find time. We'll use  CAP's Art of Argument (maybe with an online class through my fun science class and maybe not). I'll add in The Fallacy Toolbox for fun. I think my DS will actually really enjoy this subject.

Physical Education: Continuing on with Advanced Fencing weekly and Golf as weather permits.

Music: Continuing with weekly Drum lessons.

Other EC's include Church Youth Group weekly meetings, and a boys' wilderness survival education/scripture study group that meets once a month for Bible study and hands-on wilderness education training.

It doesn't look too bad when it's all written out, but I hope we get to most of it!!!!

Edited by CAtoVA

Still trying to figure out 10th. We have been so busy with DD graduating, I have not even thought about DS’s plans.

Math: we will continue with Mr. D. Pre-Calculus. We used him this year for Algebra 2 and year before for Geometry. 

Science: Chemistry not sure maybe DIVE.

English: I have no clue. American Literature, but still struggling to find a writing program that works. He knows how to write but gets major anxiety and writers block.

History: American History. Either Notgrass or History at Our House

Foreign Language: either ASL with FLVS used a tutor this year but he was not a fan. Maybe German with OSU.

Electives: not sure. He had already done health, personal finance, and PE

Grade 10! Yikes!

Grade 9 was a good year, so we're doing a lot of the next thing. I should be less busy with work next year, but more busy with homeschooling, so we're sticking with mostly online classes. 

English- Lukeion Myth Alpha and Beta (he loves the Lukeion courses and they have been a great fit for him)

Latin-Lukeion Latin 3

History-Lukeion Greek and Roman History

Math-AOPS online academy-Geometry and then something else-either Intro to Number Theory or Intermediate Algebra depending if he does another summer music program next year. He loves the AOPS classes, too. 

Science-Memoria Press Chemistry. Memoria Press classes also a hit. 

Music-Double bass, violin, piano, ARCT Harmony, ?Grade 10/ARCT Music History, Orchestra, Choir, etc. 

Phys-ed- homeschool swimming, pick-up basketball and possibly rowing. 

On 2/6/2019 at 12:13 PM, Lisa in the UP of MI said:

Math: Honors Pre-calculus (either online or at home with syllabus from Kolbe Academy)

Science: Honors Chemistry (online or with syllabus from Kolbe Academy) OR a science elective of her choice

History:  Not sure except that she'll probably be doing a one year study of world history

Faith Formation: Bible, Catechism, The Hidden Power of Kindness, something by St. Teresa of Avila

Logic: Second half of Discovery of Deduction

Online classes are finalized but we're still deciding on the at home classes.

Math: Honors Pre-calculus online with Kolbe Academy

Science: AP Chemistry online with Kolbe Academy

Logic: Discovery of Deduction (haven't managed to start this so she'll be doing it next year instead)

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

Core Subjects

English II - Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind Red book; Writing With Skill; Vocabulary from Classical Roots; Book List

Algebra II - Saxon Algebra 2; Saxon Teacher CD's; Art Reed DVD's

Astronomy - Survey of Astronomy pack

World History - Notgrass' Exploring World History (Book List)

Latin II - Henle Latin

Electives

Bible II - Memoria Press' Christian Studies IV; New Testament and Old Testament flashcards

Graphic Design - Schoolhouse Teacher's Graphic Design Course

Game Design - CompuScholar Unity Game Programming course

Equine Studies - Equine Science

Home Economics - Christian Light's Home Economics I

Math: Algebra II (possibly online Apologia)

History/Literature/Bible: Omnibus IV Primary with Veritas Press

Language Arts: Byline with Clear Water Press

Foreign Language: 4th Form Latin with Memoria Press

Science: Novare Chemistry or Apologia Chemistry (possibly online)

Over the summer: Review of Algebra I with Memoria Press

Physical Ed: Christian Soldiers Karate

Geography: finish up BJU Press Geography

On 2/6/2019 at 10:47 AM, hollyhock2 said:

I'm starting this one, too, because I have a rising 10th grader, and because it's the only one not started. 🙂

Plans for next year so far:

Math - MUS Geometry

English - homemade literature and composition, some tied to history, composition across subjects

Science - Master Books' Survey of Archaeology and Geology

History - mostly MOH 3, some of 4  Notgrass EWH book 2

Electives - Intro to Rhetoric, and I want him to pick something he's interested in, will also give him 1/2 credit of PE

Have you used Master Books before? I'm considering using the Survey of Physics, Biology, Mathematics and Chemistry or the Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology 2 for my 9th grader next year. I don't know much about them - I saw them at a local homeschool resource store for the first time today. My kids get turned off by too much tie-in to religion even though we are a religious family. The Master Books elementary materials that I looked through seemed to reference religion more heavily than the high school survey books I glanced through. Any insight is appreciated - thanks! :)

Just now, AZJessica said:

Have you used Master Books before? I'm considering using the Survey of Physics, Biology, Mathematics and Chemistry or the Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology 2 for my 9th grader next year. I don't know much about them - I saw them at a local homeschool resource store for the first time today. My kids get turned off by too much tie-in to religion even though we are a religious family. The Master Books elementary materials that I looked through seemed to reference religion more heavily than the high school survey books I glanced through. Any insight is appreciated - thanks! 🙂

My other son used Survey of Astronomy in 10th. I would say the books are pretty heavily religious. I would guess that of the ones you are interested in, the Survey of Physics/Bio, etc. would be less so. Biology would have the most in it, but the others probably wouldn't have much. 

• Like 1

Ninth grade was rough, but hopefully, we've smoothed out the kinks. 

Bible: A homemade study of the church during the Middle Ages

Math: Algebra I with Mr. D

Science: Biology at co-op

Language Arts: World Literature Part 1 and Writing at co-op taught by me

Foreign Language: French (somewhere online that I haven't yet figured out)

Everything else: A Gentle Feast Cycle 4 

Electives: World Religions Part 1 and History of Makeup and Fashion (homemade by me) 

Edited by Chelli