Menu

Need chapstick recommendation

hollyhock2

Aquaphor or Vaseline. You can use the stuff in the big tubs, or each of them make small tubes just for lip use. I like some of the tinted Burt’s Bees stuff for a little color, but I’ve recently realized that none of their products do much at all for moisturizing my lips. 

We had another thread about this a few weeks ago that would probably be helpful if you can find it. I’d search for it but I’m on my phone. 

• Like 2

I second hurts bees.  I like the vanilla.

For already chapped lips, blistex has been most effective for me. 

Years ago, someone rec'd carmex. Probably the worst stuff I have ever tried, and I'm suspicious they put stuff in it to make lips chap so you use more. 

• Like 1

I use the lip balms from Tropical Traditions.  I like the citrus but my girls prefer the vanilla. https://healthytraditions.com/tropicaltraditions/skin-care-products/lip-moisturizers.html

In googling the link to them, I found they sell (or used to) on Amazon. Who knew? All this time I've been ordering several as I always wait till a free shipping day! https://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Traditions-Lip-Moisturizer-Unscented/dp/B000YHG5B2

I will repeat the advice I gave on the last thread and recommend that you up your fluid intake.

On that thread, several other people also indicate that there can be a rebound effect from overuse of lip balms. I haven't experienced that myself, but you might consider it.

I love all the Burts Bees balms (except the one with peppermint oil), and I've found that the most moisturizing one is the Ultra Conditioning Lip Balm with Kokum Butter, with the silver lid. It has kokum butter, cocoa butter, and shea butter, and it's more oily/buttery and less waxy than the other BB balms. It's also unflavored. That's the one I grab if my lips are really chapped, otherwise I just use one of the flavored balms (favs are Coconut & Pear, Vanilla Bean, Pink Grapefruit, and Pumpkin Spice).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I love all the Burts Bees balms (except the one with peppermint oil), and I've found that the most moisturizing one is the Ultra Conditioning Lip Balm with Kokum Butter, with the silver lid. It has kokum butter, cocoa butter, and shea butter, and it's more oily/buttery and less waxy than the other BB balms. It's also unflavored. That's the one I grab if my lips are really chapped, otherwise I just use one of the flavored balms (favs are Coconut & Pear, Vanilla Bean, Pink Grapefruit, and Pumpkin Spice).

The kokum butter Burts Bees is my go-to! I have them stashed all over the house. I will try to drink more water though, I've noticed having to reapply more often over the last few days. I thought it was just the dry weather, but maybe I'm dried out too. 😆

I have been so in love with Blistex DCT that I order it in quantity online.  I can't find it in the store much anymore.  It is amazing on lips and also a miracle worker on rough cuticles.  When I used to maul my cuticles bloody, it was the only thing that would heal them overnight.

https://www.amazon.com/Blistex-Daily-Conditioning-Treatment-0-25/dp/B00ANR5TKG/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1547052928&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=blistex+dct&psc=1

It is similar in texture to vaseline, but absorbs much better in my opinion.  Vaseline seems to just sit on my lips and not actually do anything.

Edited by goldberry

A lot of previous posters said that they liked Burts Bees, but it dries my lips out.  The only balm I use in the winter is the Paula's Choice lip and body balm.  My whole family is hooked on it.  The only thing that I don't like about it is that you need to use your fingers to apply it.  I wish that it came in a stick.  I also use the Paula's Choice SPF balm and that comes in a stick, but I don't like to use that unless I'm outside.  

I'm the one who started a similar thread a few weeks ago.  And unfortunately, I don't think I actually responded to people because we suddenly had a medical event during that time!! 

Here it is:  

(I'm not sure how that link will work...  it's giving me a funny look right now but we'll see once I submit this reply!)

Anyway, I actually have on my shopping list several of the products people recommended.  One thing though, I've tried Burt's Bees off and on for years, and it has never worked for me.  It tends to dry out my lips even more, in the long run.

1 hour ago, solascriptura said:

The only thing that I don't like about it is that you need to use your fingers to apply it.  I wish that it came in a stick.

That icks me out, too. I wish companies wouldn't do it. I really like Vaseline Rosy Lip Therapy, but the pot . . the germs from repeatedly dipping a fingertip in it . . . :ohmy: :sad: I use it at home, where I can wash my hands thoroughly first, but I don't take it out and about with me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I second hurts bees.  I like the vanilla.

For already chapped lips, blistex has been most effective for me. 

Years ago, someone rec'd carmex. Probably the worst stuff I have ever tried, and I'm suspicious they put stuff in it to make lips chap so you use more. 

Yes they do add add a chemical to make your lips chap.  It's called phenol.  It feels good going on, but it dries your skin/lips.  In more concentrated form, it will actually burn your skin.  Carmex contains phenol, as do some Blistex varieties (not all).  It causes a sort of addiction in that you need to reapply it over and over, and it stresses you out to not have it available at all times.  I always look for it when I'm trying a new lip balm.

I like Burts Bees Grapefruit, only because I love the smell of grapefruit.  I've seen in other contexts that grapefruit is supposed to be nourishing for your skin.  I don't know if works better or worse than the other BB varieties,. Some people are averse to the peppermint oil in the regular Burt's Bees, and I don't know whether it dries or not. The Honey variety mentioned above sounds lovely.

If you have access to DoTERRA products, their lip balms are very good, but they're also pricey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Thank you.  I have one more question....does it leave your lips with a bit of shine when you apply it?  That is one thing I love about aquaphor and vaseline.  I like a little bit of shine (but no color) to my lips.

I don't know. LOL   I usually only use this around the house, so I guess I just never thought to look in the mirror.

Classic cherry (unmedicated) chapstick plus drink 2 liters of water.

Actually my favorite was a natural one without petroleum, but I haven't found it in stores.  It was a free handout for visiting a natural food store on opening day, they don't even carry it anymore.  Brands with similar ingredients like EOS are drying in comparison.  But seriously, your lips are a mucous membrane so if they're dry it's a more reliable sign you're dehydrated than thirst OR the color of your urine.

Yes, my dermatologist recommends Cerave Healing as well and gave me a little jar for my purse that I refill from a tube. In many ways, her skin is just like mine, and we've found that what works for her works for me. I use it on my lips and rough spots all over.

I've found it to be better than Vaseline.

• Like 1