Menu

Where/What are your happy places?

Ottakee

Where do you like to go to rest, relax, regroup, or just be happy?

Here is one of mine.....waiting for the sunset on Lake Michigan.  Usually I am walking the pier but today I decided that a chair on the beach sounded lovely.

IMG_20180526_203507081_HDR.jpg

• Like 12

Being with my horses has been my lifelong happy place. Horse chores are like meditation for me - I really can't even put into words the feeling of contentment that comes over me. I especially love it in the very early morning when it is just getting light out and everything is peaceful and still. It's blissful! 

My other happy place is my comfy bed at the end of the day, with my Aussie/Catahoula curled up next to me (and dh, too, of course).

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Being with my horses has been my lifelong happy place. Horse chores are like meditation for me - I really can't even put into words the feeling of contentment that comes over me. I especially love it in the very early morning when it is just getting light out and everything is peaceful and still. It's blissful! 

My other happy place is my comfy bed at the end of the day, with my Aussie/Catahoula curled up next to me (and dh, too, of course).

That used to be one for me too but after 12 years we sold our last 2 horses last week.  Barn chores can be very relaxing.

I had a friend that used to his her books in the barn and read out there.  Her kids often left her alone as otherwise they might need to help.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have very limited transportation options right now, so I’ve had to make the grocery store one of my happy places since it’s the only place I go most weeks. When I do get to leave the city, this is where I want to go.

90B24515-5185-478C-8B70-FB9493132AF6.jpeg

• Like 5

My head also went to vacation places I've been.

Practically private, empty little cove in Tulum where we stayed right on the beach. So peaceful. Dh was talking about this just the other day. He said that whenever anyone walked by he was always put out because that was "our" beach!

Sitting by this little watering hole in Namibia at this one hotel where we got sort of stranded. That place was great. We had this loft that we had to climb up into and the pool was great.

In a more accessible way... there's a spot in Rock Creek Park, the national park/east-west traffic barrier in DC, where I especially like to sit. I'm also really, really fond of this "secret" spot there and go there often.

• Like 3

My back porch.  I love to read there in the shade and feel the breeze.  If I close my eyes I can imagine I'm by the ocean listening to Zac Brown Band sing. "Knee deep in the water somewhere, got the blue sky breeze blowing wind through my hair, only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair...."   

• Like 4

We've worked really hard to transform our home into an oasis in the city. It is my happy place. Surrounded by gardens, the house is made to be peaceful, happy and relaxing. A shelter from the world. 

I also really like the beach. Just laying in a chair reading a book all day while shaded from the sun.

• Like 2

In my mind, my happy places are busy cities. I love the energy of cities. Based on everyone else's responses, I think I that puts me out of sync with most of you LOL.

Being more specific, spending time in bookstores and libraries is my respite.

• Like 3

Several times a week, I run on the trails at a Civil War battlefield park.  I greet the other regulars, pet their dogs and try not to spook the deer.  Despite a couple of nasty trail dives over the years and that my car was broken into there right before Christmas ‘16, I think of it as my local happy place.  I hate Atlanta generally, but having 16 miles of trails in the woods so close to me keeps me sane.  My other happy place is Wyoming, the whole state.  Its entire population is less than my county’s.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Penguin said:

In my mind, my happy places are busy cities. I love the energy of cities. Based on everyone else's responses, I think I that puts me out of sync with most of you LOL.

Being more specific, spending time in bookstores and libraries is my respite.

I really like cities too, but they have to be living cities with a history, not artificial cities like the one I currently live in.  

• Like 3

Where I am right now is a major one. (I am on a creek that connects to The Chesapeake Bay.) Also mountains or beautiful beaches and lakes. 

F35F6B23-B138-4BCB-AA73-A6F920B5415A.jpeg

• Like 2

Our family calls the GWL our happy place. (Iknow it's probably other people's idea of hell!)

But we're just HAPPY there. The kids are happy; they get along; it's relaxing for us (especially now that they are older). We look forward to going back the minute we leave. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Well, there's Staples. And sometimes Target. Lol.

My usual happy place is where I am right now, under the gazebo at home.  Except I have to be somewhat vigilant in case a bear comes through when it's this quiet.

It’s really hard to beat the appeal of fresh office supplies. I have been known to buy a package of paperclips just because they are cute. Or those clips that look like little gingerbread men! So cute. I don’t need more of them. But I can convince myself I do before the start of every schoolyear.

Also, new dry erase pens. I love how the black means business when it is new. After a year, it can barely eke out a middling grey. But when young, it has real authority! 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Our family calls the GWL our happy place. (Iknow it's probably other people's idea of hell!)

But we're just HAPPY there. The kids are happy; they get along; it's relaxing for us (especially now that they are older). We look forward to going back the minute we leave. 

What does GWL stand for?

Just a few days ago I was reading in bed, and all the kids burst in acting crazy, and I yelled "No, this is my happy place, and you're not allowed to shout, fight, or jump in here!" So, there's that.

I've always liked woods. Just exploring trails, breathing. I grew up a couple miles away from a Great Lake, and I'm really missing that point where the forest meets the dunes and water. We have woods here, and we have small lakes (actually a dammed-up river that's the city reservoir, so you can't go in it). I miss the Great Lakes, though. They're really special.

• Like 4

On 5/26/2018 at 9:51 PM, Ottakee said:

That used to be one for me too but after 12 years we sold our last 2 horses last week.  Barn chores can be very relaxing.

I had a friend that used to his her books in the barn and read out there.  Her kids often left her alone as otherwise they might need to help.

Yeah me too! My happy place is in the barn with my cow and the dogs. And yes, I understand that people leave you alone out there for fear of being put to work. ? a close second is my garden. Third, especially for winter is the sunroom we’re building. 

• Like 1

Hilton Head Island - Palmetto Dunes in particular. I’ve been to other beaches and they just don’t compare, even in the Carribean. There’s something special about the island - time slows down, everything is walkable or bikeable. We go just before the summer season ramps up, so seasonal events and places are open, but most kids aren’t out of school yet, so it’s still pretty quiet. 

Here at home, it’s the balcony off of my bedroom. I have a small table & chairs out there and I can sit and read, enjoy a cold drink and sometimes I bring my breakfast outside, too. It’s lovely. 

• Like 1