Menu

hmmm, did dd get suckered or not?

hornblower

I went for a walk with my dog & my ds this afternoon. Dd was home alone. When we were coming back, I could hear voices in my driveway (behind one of our giant hedges) and then a guy came briskly walking out of my driveway, said something to me about my dog & how wet we were from the rain & walked away down the street.  

Dd says the guy knocked on the door, said he's the son of someone up the street but that they're not home yet & he was $10 short to pay the tow truck driver who was waiting for him somewhere closer to the main road. He promised to be back with the $ in an hour. 

She gave him the money.  He wasn't someone I've seen before. I don't know ALL my neighbors but I do know most of them....    otoh, I wouldn't know adult children of everyone & this guy was older. 

What say the hive's spidey senses? 

I guess you'll know in an hour.

I think he's a liar.  He otherwise would have mentioned to you what just happened as he was leaving.

But then again, once when I promised to go get my checkbook and return to pay for a mailbox I had accidentally knocked down with my car, I was being honest and I felt the guy was a jerk for insisting on calling the cops.  So who knows ... I hate to assume the worst.

15 minutes ago, hornblower said:

No sign of the guy.   

Ugh, I hate that people come to the door to do stuff like that.  

Sorry. I think we all had a bad feeling about that one. But it was a valuable lesson learned and he is likely the last guy who is getting $10 out of her like that.

• Sad 1

Maybe I'm too trusting, but I think if it were a scam he would have asked for more than $10.

My dad used to drive a tow truck and he couldn't accept credit cards.  I know things are more modern now, but if the tow truck company is privately owned, he may not accept credit cards still.

5 minutes ago, Junie said:

Maybe I'm too trusting, but I think if it were a scam he would have asked for more than $10.

My dad used to drive a tow truck and he couldn't accept credit cards.  I know things are more modern now, but if the tow truck company is privately owned, he may not accept credit cards still.

It may be too suspicious if he asked for more. Perhaps most people have still $10 around the house and are willing to part with it rather than $20 or $50.

If he repeats this in a few neighborhoods, he could be making $100 tonight depending on how trustworthy he comes across.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

Scams like that work well because of the low price.  More people are inclined to give the $10 even if they are slightly suspicious that it is a scam because it is a small amount. Ever have someone come up to you at the gas station and ask for $5 because there car is out of gas just down the road and they need enough to make it to the gas station, or some variation of that. It is a scam I hear almost monthly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Junie said:

Yes, but these days the credit card scanner for your smart phone costs $6.  No small business takes only cash anymore.  I've even been to yard and estate sales where people offered payment with a square.

• Like 1

This is a very, very old scam.  I remember that my grandfather, who has been dead for 15 years, had someone come by his fairly isolated, difficult-to-find, house and say he was so-and-so's grandson, and he needed $10 or $20 for--I don't know what, something similar having to do with a car.  The supposed grandfather was someone my grandfather knew slightly, so well enough to trust but not well enough to know his family.  This sounds very similar.  It obviously works because it's a compelling story; that's why any scam lasts--it's effective.

Well, I said that maybe I was too trusting.

In reality, I don't give money to anyone for anything.

I just figured in today's economy asking for anything less than a $20 is not going to be fruitful.  ATM's don't spit out $10 bills, so I very rarely have them.

53 minutes ago, hornblower said:

No sign of the guy.   

Ugh, I hate that people come to the door to do stuff like that.  

This is a pretty inexpensive lesson. If it makes her a little more hesitant to fall for something like this, maybe he did you guys a favor. :) Silver lining and all.

1 hour ago, Katy said:

What tow truck driver only takes cash and not credit or debit cards?  No one, that's who.

Warn your neighbors there's a scammer about.

But maybe the guy didn't have a credit or debit card, but he had cash minus $10. :)

But yeah, I'd warn the neighbors.

• Like 1

I choose to view it this way:

First, she learned a valuable lesson and it ONLY COST HER $10. Plenty of people pay a lot more for the same lesson!

But secondly, and more importantly, the choice to help others is never wrong. Even if they are lying to you to steal your money, it was still a good and charitable act to help them. (Mind, if you choose not to help people you're certain are scammers that doesn't make you bad! But I prefer to think of myself as charitable rather than stupid if I get caught!)

• Like 18

No small business takes only cash anymore.

This is not true. Cash-only is surprisingly common in some places in NYC, and it's got to be common in some other places. (And there's always the risk that today their little card reader scanner is busted, or they'll ask you to only pay for big purchases that way because of fees.)

32 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

This is not true. Cash-only is surprisingly common in some places in NYC, and it's got to be common in some other places. (And there's always the risk that today their little card reader scanner is busted, or they'll ask you to only pay for big purchases that way because of fees.)

Yep, there are still quite a lot of places that only take cash. It drives me batty because I never have cash on me. 

• Like 1

I would be more bothered by the fact that she opened the door to a stranger when home alone than giving him money.  But I have seen way too many horror movies this week so that could just be me overly sensitive ( as in scared to death and unable to sleep without the lights on LOL)

• Like 4

I was surprised when I was i upstate NY- there were businesses that only took cash - so i can believe it.

but I would also think scam.    generally - if you're having mechanical problems and need to tow your car - you take it to a mechanic - not mom and dad's house.

4 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

That's not a scam, that is a guy casing the property for theft.  He just pinged to see who was home at that time of day. If you don't have a camera on the approach and the doors, you should consider it...those hedges sound like they screen the property from the road, which is ideal for his crew.  Do alter your routine w/taking the dog off the property and do call the police nonemergency number. They can tell you what's going on in the neighborhood for burglary teams.

in addition to the police (around here, they will put out a public announcement for people to be aware a crew is about and to be on the look out.) let all the neighbors know.  if he was casing you, he was probably casing others too.

2 hours ago, Katy said:

Yes, but these days the credit card scanner for your smart phone costs $6.  No small business takes only cash anymore.  I've even been to yard and estate sales where people offered payment with a square.

the scanner is only a small part of the transaction.  you have transaction fees (avg 3%- 5%) PER transaction. (probably a set up fee per credit card service too.)  if a business only takes cash - they are keeping more money.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Supertechmom said:

I would be more bothered by the fact that she opened the door to a stranger when home alone than giving him money.  But I have seen way too many horror movies this week so that could just be me overly sensitive ( as in scared to death and unable to sleep without the lights on LOL)

Well, she is an adult. And it's Canada... 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

I choose to view it this way:

First, she learned a valuable lesson and it ONLY COST HER $10. Plenty of people pay a lot more for the same lesson!

But secondly, and more importantly, the choice to help others is never wrong. Even if they are lying to you to steal your money, it was still a good and charitable act to help them. (Mind, if you choose not to help people you're certain are scammers that doesn't make you bad! But I prefer to think of myself as charitable rather than stupid if I get caught!)

When I was away on vacation, one night, there was a knock on my rental door. There was a peephole and I could see a young man standing there. I asked, in an unfriendly tone, who he was and what he wanted. In his imperfect English, he said he left his phone charger at work, really needed to charge his phone, and wondered if I had an iPhone; could he borrow my charger? I gave it to him. I then said, “well, either that was the dumbest thing I have done yet or else I just helped out a perfectly nice stranger.” 

It was the later. He brought my charger back in a couple hours, with a little piece of chocolate as a gift. :) 

But I do appreciate that it could have gone the other way. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

the scanner is only a small part of the transaction.  you have transaction fees (avg 3%- 5%) PER transaction. (probably a set up fee per credit card service too.)  if a business only takes cash - they are keeping more money.

Keeping more money per sale, but getting less sales.  Many people like me avoid places that force us to pay cash, and gladly go to places that charge 5% more for the convenience and safety of credit cards. Besides, I find it very difficult to believe that ANY tow service these days could be cash only.  Too many people pay for roadside assistance insurance instead of paying for tow trucks directly at all.  But there's an easy way to find out.  OP could call the tow services in her area and see if ANY of them only accept payment in cash. Especially because it would seem like a very strange business choice to accept cash only.  The last time I needed a tow truck the truck needed to be taken less than half a mile and the roadside assistance service was charged $110.00  Few people keep in excess of $100 in cash for emergencies in their wallets.

• Like 2

I also would be surprised if a towing service would only accept cash. Towing is expensive and as Katy said, most people don't carry around $100+ in cash.  

I have dealt with a few businesses that gave the option of using a credit card, but they added a transaction fee to the bill.  When I had some body work done on my car,  I wanted to pay with a card to get the points, but the 1.5% extra for using the card made me decide to write a check instead.   (If I'd really wanted to use a card, I'd have found another place to do the work, but this shop came too highly recommended and the price was right.)

Of course, not everyone has a credit card either.  In a situation where a tow truck wants their money right away - or they keep your car, right? - what is a person to do if they don't have the cash?  

15 minutes ago, Katy said:

Keeping more money per sale, but getting less sales.  Many people like me avoid places that force us to pay cash, and gladly go to places that charge 5% more for the convenience and safety of credit cards. Besides, I find it very difficult to believe that ANY tow service these days could be cash only.  Too many people pay for roadside assistance insurance instead of paying for tow trucks directly at all.  But there's an easy way to find out.  OP could call the tow services in her area and see if ANY of them only accept payment in cash. Especially because it would seem like a very strange business choice to accept cash only.  The last time I needed a tow truck the truck needed to be taken less than half a mile and the roadside assistance service was charged $110.00  Few people keep in excess of $100 in cash for emergencies in their wallets.

I must have missed where the OP said the tow truck driver was cash only. Maybe the guy didn't have a CC on him, or it was almost maxed out and he was still $10 shy of the full amount.  

I wouldn't automatically think scam, but I wouldn't have given any money either. 

1 minute ago, LuvToRead said:

I must have missed where the OP said the tow trucker driver was cash only. Maybe the guy didn't have a CC on him, or it was almost maxed out and he was still $10 shy of the full amount.  

I wouldn't automatically think scam, but I wouldn't have given any money either. 

This wasn't in response to the OP, it was in response to someone upthread arguing many businesses don't take credit cards because of transaction fees.

12 hours ago, Katy said:

What tow truck driver only takes cash and not credit or debit cards?  No one, that's who.

Sorry.  I thought you were making an assumption the tow truck driver ONLY took cash.  I guess I misread your posts.  Obviously. this is probably a non-existent tow truck driver, but just because the guy needed $10 doesn't mean it was a cash only tow truck driver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

pretty sure the conclusion about the "two truck" guy wanting cash was because it was a scam. generally disabled cars are towed to a mechanic's - not someone's house.

I was referring to the fact I have been in stores - this century - (upstate, very small town NY, and very small town midwest) that would only take cash.  (a real pain as I hardly carry cash, I use my cc for almost everything. points you know.)   and my experience was, in that town, it was common for merchants to only take cash.   (even here, in a major metro area, I've encountered stores that have minimum purchase required - $5 - $10- to use a credit card.)   I have had contact with people from certain rural areas who do not trust cc (or student loans), and come across as though they think they are of the devil.  (think of the mentality of those who think big brother is watching them to take control of their life. - they will be cash only.)

my comment about fees for the merchant was in response to the comment that cc scanners for smart phones are cheap. implying *that was it* for the expense for the merchant for using a cc.   I was pointing out it is more than just the scanner (and the smart phone cost - some people do still use a dumb phone), that the cc company takes a % off of each transaction, and the costs associated to provide different ccs vary.   

I spoke with a newcomer merchant to one of those areas.  the attitudes of the very long time (generations) established merchants (who condescend to do you a favor to allow you to patronize their business) - drove her bonkers.

as for cc fees - there's a reason many stores (target, amazon, penny's, etc.) will give you a % discount/cash back if you use their card.  they're not paying it to a cc vendor as they provide their own card.

Although I know of several places that don’t take cards, I also say be very diligent and alert your neighbors. He may very well been casing the place. And you had “cash” on hand. I am probably paranoid, but.... I probably would have taken him at his word and given him the money. I like to  trust people until they prove me wrong.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hornblower said:

Well, she is an adult. And it's Canada... 

see that's my American showing......add in a place while safe enough still has a high rate of murders and the property(several hundred acres) behind us is a dumping ground for bodies and hideout for fugitives with regular state and federal hunts.......opening the door is an absolute no and that's me as an adult.  Even the police get the suspicious double check. And then add in my horror movie watching.....LOL.    ya pretty much gotta  break down the door. 

15 hours ago, Katy said:

Several around here.  My son was towed after an accident and had to pay cash only.  A teacher’s car ran out of gas and she got a ride to get gas, came back and her car had already been towed.  Cash only to get it back.

• Like 1

just an aside about tow trucks.... I know a tow truck driver and he told us a couple things. 

-Cash only tows & impound lots are often skimming from their employers/city contractors - they're not reporting the tow/impound & pocketing the cash. 

-if you get towed off a busy street when rush hour parking restrictions kick in, go walk around the side streets. Many drivers will haul a bunch of cars off just a block or two away, and then they come back later to tow them to the lot. If you walk around, you might find your car.

• Like 1

I'm just weighing in on the "cash only" and "where to tow" aspects:

There are quite a few restaurants around here that are cash only. They also have ATMs inside for your convenience, hahahaha.

As for where to tow...in my circle, it is about 50-50. Half the people I know usually tow to a family or personal mechanic that works out of their home's garage and the other half tow to a "buisness" mechanic. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

I'm just weighing in on the "cash only" and "where to tow" aspects:

There are quite a few restaurants around here that are cash only. They also have ATMs inside for your convenience, hahahaha.

As for where to tow...in my circle, it is about 50-50. Half the people I know usually tow to a family or personal mechanic that works out of their home's garage and the other half tow to a "buisness" mechanic. 

I would say is true for me, also.  It wouldn't be unusual at all for someone to have a vehicle towed to a home rather than a shop, for a variety of reasons.  If you don't have funds to actually get the car fixed, sending it directly to shop wouldn't make sense  Also, if you live closer to the where the tow begins, it would be much cheaper to have it towed to your home, then figure out a way to get it to the shop.  Many people are capable of doing their own repairs, and  maybe just want to fix their car themselves. 

22 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I probably would have gotten in my car and followed his path toward the tow truck to see if one was there lol. 

Yeah, at least it was only $10. I got scammed on a college campus by a guy around my age posing as a student selling magazines for some club that didn't exist. I realized it was a scam shortly after, but he was gone with much more than $10. 

You've got to watch the movie American Honey. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, unsinkable said:

When I drove a beater in high school and college I would have it towed home. My father and brother would fix it for me.  To this day, my brother still fixes family cars at the home of the person who owns it.