Menu

When did your teen boy stop growing?

SebastianCat

My DS is 15 1/2 (and that "1/2" is pretty important to him because it means he's now only 6 months away from his driver's license).   We have a tradition of marking each child's height on the wall on their birthday and half birthday.   Today when we went to make his 15 1/2-year mark, he had not grown at all from his 15th birthday, which is the first time we've seen no growth since we started recording (shortly after his 1st birthday).

We know/think that DS isn't completely done growing because he had a stress fracture this fall, and the growth plates in his shins were still clearly open on his x-rays and MRI.   He's currently 5'9" and is already taller than both me and my DH.   Based on the calculators that you can use for babies/toddlers and parents' height, I had expected him to be around 5'10"-5'11".

For those who have older teen boys or adult sons, did they have one last growth spurt before they were completely finished growing?    Did you see a period of no growth like what we've seen, then a growth spurt, or did they just stop growing and that was it?    

For those who have older teen boys or adult sons, did they have one last growth spurt before they were completely finished growing?    Did you see a period of no growth like what we've seen, then a growth spurt?

My oldest grew 9 inches between 13 and 14, then a slow growth of another couple of inches by the time he was 16.  Then no growth till sometime past 18 and by 19 1/2 we had discovered he grew another inch.

My second DS is 17 has had no discernible spurt at all just very slow growth through the teen years.

My oldest grew 9 inches between 13 and 14, then a slow growth of another couple of inches by the time he was 16. Then no growth till sometime past 18 and by 19 1/2 we had discovered he grew another inch.

My second DS is 17 has had no discernible spurt at all just very slow growth through the teen years.

Same experience here with late growth spurts - even into early 20's.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if my teen boys are done growing yet or not. Ds19 is 6'5" and ds17 is 6'2". Both of them have grown steadily with no big spurts.

Same for dd15. She is 5'10" and I think she may still have some growing to do because she only got her first period about a year ago.

Mine was actually slow growing. When he was 14-15 he had friends a year or two younger who were taller than him. He didn't get his spurt until late 16. Then it came almost all at once and he stopped not long after he turned 17. He's 5'11" (he was hoping to make it 6' to match his older brother :) )

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

DS appears to have stopped growing at 17. We are actually hoping that he has because he is 6’ 4â€. But one of his uncles did not really start growing until 17 so how tall is this guy going to be is the running family joke.

DS21 has put on another two inches in height in college.  He is about 5'9" now

DS25 grew 3-4 inches in college.  He is 5'10" now.

for the record - DH is 6'0".  I am 5'4" and taller than both of my parents and both of my girls.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 1

It was really frustrating to him as his friends both shot up at 14, and towered over him.  But now, he towers over them.  

It was frustrating for my son too. I don't know if this is really true (never bothered to look it up) or if his doctor just said it to make him feel better. He said the boys who start puberty early are about as tall as they'll be by 14 or 15. Those who start later often end up taller. (He has at least one friend who started early and is still taller than him so I suspect the doctor was just trying to placate him).

It was frustrating for my son too. I don't know if this is really true (never bothered to look it up) or if his doctor just said it to make him feel better. He said the boys who start puberty early are about as tall as they'll be by 14 or 15. Those who start later often end up taller. (He has at least one friend who started early and is still taller than him so I suspect the doctor was just trying to placate him).

Ive been telling ds13 this for about two years. All of his friends hit their growth spurts at 11/12 and he was starting to worry. I told him that all the kids that were the tallest in my ms were the shortest at the end of hs.

• Like 1

My brother grew another inch in college putting him at 6'6". He went through three pant sizes when he was 14. I don't think he had huge growth spurts after that, just slow and steady. My 13 hasn't had a big growth spurt yet, but he is about 5'4". I think he will end up at about 6'-6'2", but I only say that because Dh is 6'3".