Menu

10 Year Old Girl “Big Gift� Idea

Just Kate

This age is so difficult! For Christmas, my kids get one big “Santa gift†and then some smaller gifts from Mom and Dad. The Santa gift doesn’t have to cost a ton...but it is always seen as the special gift to my kids. For the Santa gift, last year dd got an Instax Polaroid Camera. One year she got roller skates and another year it was an American Girl doll.

This year, there is nothing that she’s asking for and I just can’t think of anything special to surprise her with.

I also need to come up with a gift for my parents to get her. They spend around $100 per kid and my mom loves it when her gift is one item, rather than a bunch of small gifts.

So, any clue what a “big gift†could be for a 10 year old? She already has an iPad mini, so no need for anything like that. She loves to dance and while she still plays with her toys, she already told me that she doesn’t want anything from American Girl this year. This age is just so hard...

It is a tough age. My STB ten year old requested a water bottle, a donut, and a handheld gaming device (which is a no; we have too many gadgets already). 🤷ðŸ½â€â™€ï¸ I’m here for ideas. So far, I have a camera that he can use on our vacay, new rollerblades and knee socks, the aforementioned water bottle, and a cookie cake.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Does she take dance classes? Can you get items related to that--a special tote bag, warm ups.

If she doesn't take dance classes, what does she do with her time.

She takes jazz and ballet classes each week. While she loves dance clothes (warm ups and such), she’s just not to the age where shoe views clothes as a gift (not a big gift, anyway). I will probably get her some cute dance tanks as part of her “from the parents†gifts.

As for her time, she spends it either dancing or being dragged around to her big brither’s basketball games (at least for the next three months). She also plays with Barbies and American Girl dolls. Oh, she loves to make slime, so I may get her some slime-making ingredients for Christmas. I wonder what the next big thin will be for this age? Has slime run it’s course yet?

My 9 yo dd is getting a sewing machine. That is her lead, I have no idea how to sew. She has also taught herself to knit using YouTube so she will be gettting yarn and gadgets for that. But none of that would be exciting if she hadn't expressed interest.

I have two nieces that age and the last few years have been mostly craft and sewing kits for everyone. My dd does also like some of the Little Live Pets toys and requested the bird in the cage. A little girl she plays with at dance brings it and all the girls love it and one of my nieces that doesn't enjoy toys much has one and plays with it.

My dd is transitioning into more tween girl items. I bought her a cute purse and she'll have some lip gloss and hand lotion, a little travel brush, etc in there. A year ago she wouldn't have liked that but she is always asking to borrow my stuff so I think she will.

She takes jazz and ballet classes each week. While she loves dance clothes (warm ups and such), she’s just not to the age where shoe views clothes as a gift (not a big gift, anyway). I will probably get her some cute dance tanks as part of her “from the parents†gifts.

As for her time, she spends it either dancing or being dragged around to her big brither’s basketball games (at least for the next three months). She also plays with Barbies and American Girl dolls. Oh, she loves to make slime, so I may get her some slime-making ingredients for Christmas. I wonder what the next big thin will be for this age? Has slime run it’s course yet?

OK follow up questions:

What sort of stories does she create with the dolls--any frequent topics. 

What does she do in the car and at big brothers games. Reading, writing, listening to stories? 

OK I don't know much about ipad minis. Would some good headphones be appropriate?

My dd lasted with AG up until her 11th birthday. I have no idea what I purchased the Christmas after that birthday. I know I stumbled a bit on presents off and on through her teens. She was a ballet dancer and she did like special dance warm ups. Later teens I gave her a few small special pieces of jewelry 

My 10 yr old is into:

phone- she wants a nicer one for making videos (that might be what she asks for from dh's parents)

ukeulele- she bought herself one but we might get some accessories

bike- she picked out a vintage looking bike that my parents are getting her

clothes- she'll probably end up with a gift card somewhere 

room decor- For her 10yo b-day gift she got a new bedroom finished and big girl decor, for Christmas she asked for work on her closet (it is unfinished under the stairs)

camera- she is not as big into it as some but loved her Instant Pix she got last year (at not quite 10)

Does she read books on her iPad mini (I do not know how large that is) - a Kindle Fire loaded with books might be nice.

Would she like to learn to bake?  Her own mixer/pans etc. in a large box.

Does she like to draw?  I have been seeing ads on FB for a device that transfers whatever one is drawing on paper straight to the screen https://www.iskn.co/

(I imagine there are other similar items out there).

One of my kids got an acoustic guitar (and lessons) at that age.

I dunno, my kids say they want a hover board.  I said no though.  :P

One of my kids asked for a telescope this year, and has also talked me into a pair of cowboy boots, something I never would have thought she'd want.  The other kid is getting horse accessories and book sets.

If you don't already have them, a guitar or electronic keyboard might make a nice "big gift."

What about a big Lego set?  My daughter chose this one for her 10th birthday.  https://smile.amazon.com/LEGO-Friends-Amusement-Coaster-41130/dp/B01CU9WV32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510926692&sr=8-1&keywords=amusement+park+lego+set&dpID=51vf7-Kw%252BAL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

For toys, one of my kids wanted this LOL surprise disaster.  One of the aunties already bought it and gave it to her.  :/  https://smile.amazon.com/L-O-L-Surprise-549093-Big/dp/B06XSZ5FFC/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1510926748&sr=1-1&keywords=lol+surprise+big+surprise&dpID=513R7Bx9dvL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

If she already has dance lessons, maybe another sort of lesson - figure skating, perhaps, which has a natural time limit for how long you have to schlep her back and forth?

My kiddo would've killed for her own set of bakeware and ingredients and cookbooks that year. I would've too - you have no idea how intense I am about my mixing bowls! I should do that this year....

My daughter isn't much older. The past few years she's received: a sewing machine, a nice messenger bag, "real" kitchen bake ware, a fluffy monogrammed robe and slippers (that's better for the year she starts her cycle, maybe?), a drone, and new bedroom decor (curtains, duvet, etc.)

I love the idea of a concert. This is a great age to start going to concerts :) That'd be a great gift from the grandparents! To have something to open, they can give her a band tee or CD or poster. 

If she already has dance lessons, maybe another sort of lesson - figure skating, perhaps, which has a natural time limit for how long you have to schlep her back and forth?

My kiddo would've killed for her own set of bakeware and ingredients and cookbooks that year. I would've too - you have no idea how intense I am about my mixing bowls! I should do that this year....

My oldest is really into baking too but she got a lot of baking stuff the year she was 8.5

A room decor change. New bedding, a pretty painting on the wall. Maybe a gift certificate for a future date to paint her room.

Cookbooks designed for kids. Perhaps a theme. One year I got my dd a cookbook for cupcakes, a muffin tin, sprinkles, spatula, etc. But it was all real stuff, not pastel colored bakeware meant for kids. We had cupcakes coming out of our ears for quite a while though. 

A new pair of good boots or shoes that you normally wouldn't buy because of the price. Boots can be expensive. I paid about $80 for dd and I think even more than that for my oldest dd's boots. Those were Christmas gifts.

We picked up a electronic drawing tablet for DD16 a few years ago that she has really loved.

It had software for learning to draw various styles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EVOXM3S/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510947178&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=wacom+bamboo&dpPl=1&dpID=31uMU5O4wAL&ref=plSrch

Edited by AK_Mom4

My ten year old granddaughter is getting a gift certificate for one of those classes where you all paint the same pic. Like the ones they do for adults but without the wine...lemonade and cupcakes instead. 

She also likes sewing, any art thing, and experiences like live theater tickets, museum tickets, etc. 

Karaoke machine with some CDs

one of those giant outdoor swings? My neighbors just got one made of netting. It's a huge disk and lots of fun.

hammock

papasan chair

do they make radios for the ipad mini? The kind you stick into a radio/alarm looking thing and it plays your iTunes music? 

walkie talkies

charm bracelet

nice headphones