Menu

Cleaning mildewed shower curtain liner

Jean in Newcastle

I've tried putting mine in the washer multiple times, with various amounts of towels, baking soda or bleach, etc, and never had success. Some parts always seem to end up folded onto themselves and collecting all the soap scum that's scrubbed off the other parts. I've given up on this, and just buy a new one once in a blue moon.

• Like 5

I've always washed mine by itself in hot water with detergent and a cup of chlorine bleach with good success. You can mix detergent, oxyclean, and vinegar without issue, but if you decide to use chlorine bleach you can't use the oxyclean because they will react with each other. You also can't use oxyclean with anything containing ammonia, though that doesn't apply here.

• Like 2

My plan was to put detergent (All free) and oxyclean in the washer.  Add vinegar in the rinse.  Is this safe?  I don't want to accidentally make chlorine gas or something.  Is it effective?  What do you do? 

Honestly, I just buy a new one. The ones I buy are pretty inexpensive but I do have to replace them every 6-9 months. We have very hard water and the liner turns some sickly reddish brown color.

• Like 5

I stopped buying the vinyl ones a while ago, we have a water-resistant fabric one now (not quite microfiber, but maybe?) It keeps the water in the tub as good as the vinyl one did. When it gets mildewey I throw it in the washer with some towels and some bleach.

This is what we switched to too. Also, it doesn't aggravate my asthma like the vinyl ones.

• Like 1

I just scrub mine with the same brush and cleaner I am scrub the shower with.  It never occurred to me to put it in the washer.  I think my washer would shred it to pieces.  They are cheap but I still don't like to just toss them if they can be cleaned.  I think we have had our cheap one for 10+ years.  The one it replaced is still in service, mildew and all, as our firewood cover when we go camping.

• Like 1

I stopped buying the vinyl ones a while ago, we have a water-resistant fabric one now (not quite microfiber, but maybe?) It keeps the water in the tub as good as the vinyl one did. When it gets mildewey I throw it in the washer with some towels and some bleach.

This is what I did 11 years ago. I bought 2 fabric liners (not curtains--they must be liners so they keep the water in the shower) for my 2 tubs and haven't had to buy a new one since. I wash them the same as any other cloth every few weeks or so. I like them much better than a sheet of plastic in the shower.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Hijacking....

Can these liners be washed successfully in a front load washer?

Yes, absolutely.

I see no difference at all in washing shower curtain liners in a front loader than I did years ago when I had top loaders.

One thing I have seemed to notice over the years -- A new shower curtain resists mold/mildew for a good long while. Once it's washed the mold/mildew seem to build up much quicker. I generally throw a liner in with a towel or two, some detergent and bleach one time. Next time it needs washing it gets replaced.

I've also had pretty good results spraying the liner with Scrubbing Bubbles when I'm cleaning the shower.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I just scrub mine with the same brush and cleaner I am scrub the shower with.  

How do you scrub it? IME, the rod comes tumbling down way too easily, and there's nowhere near enough floor space in the bathroom to even begin to try bothering with that. I can try scrubbing a tiny part of it at a time, but that would a) take forever, and b) didn't even really seem to work when I tried it (I tried with vinegar... maybe I should've tried something else). All the people that are saying their curtains get nice and clean make me feel like we've either got some mutant soap scum, or that maybe I wait until it's too far gone... (I think water hardness does make a difference too... according to a map, we have "very hard" water)

ETA: I haven't seen much in the way of mildew... mostly just soap scum buildup.

Edited by luuknam

How do you scrub it? IME, the rod comes tumbling down way too easily, and there's nowhere near enough floor space in the bathroom to even begin to try bothering with that. I can try scrubbing a tiny part of it at a time, but that would a) take forever, and b) didn't even really seem to work when I tried it (I tried with vinegar... maybe I should've tried something else). All the people that are saying their curtains get nice and clean make me feel like we've either got some mutant soap scum, or that maybe I wait until it's too far gone... (I think water hardness does make a difference too... according to a map, we have "very hard" water)

Hard water does make a big difference--we live where it's very hard also. I think that some shower curtains trap the gunk more than others, and I am not sure why. 

You can also shove it down into a mop bucket or basin full of white vinegar and water. Let it soak. Then scrub it on itself. In my house, there is usually a path across diagonally where shower water is splashed, and then any other major gunk is usually all at the bottom. Anything else is usually slimy and will come off with some swirling/light scrubbing in the bucket. 

Oh, and soap for handwashing dishes can get off a surprising amount of yuck. You might try that as well. 

• Like 1

Yes! The fabric ones stay clean longer and are very easy to clean in the washing machine.

• Like 1

Mine is mostly scum too but we also get some mildew.  

I leave the liner on the rod and pull it all to the side of the shower that does not have the faucet/shower head.  Then I pull the curtain, one dirty segment at a time, over so that it is flat against the free wall, and scrub moving along to new dirty segment in chunks in a sort-of wedge formation.  I cannot reach the very top of the liner with this method but that part is never dirty enough to need a hard scrub anyway.

• Like 1