Menu

Did you have to show your ID to vote?

I didn't. In our township in PA, you only show your ID the first time you vote. The next time they just compare signatures. Honestly, I'd feel much better if everyone showed their ID every year.

So, ID or no ID in your area?

Ria

Yes, I did. It would bother me too!

No I.D. required here. I tell them my address and my name and they cross it off on a list. After I voted, I went to another table and the same thing happened with an exit list.

Anyone who has a town phone book can vote in my name because there is a reverse directory in it.

It isn't a very secure method, and it makes me wonder how many non-citizens or unregistered people are voting today across the country.

Edited by RoughCollie

I didn't. In our township in PA, you only show your ID the first time you vote. The next time they just compare signatures. Honestly, I'd feel much better if everyone showed their ID every year.

So, ID or no ID in your area?

Ria

No ID in NM, they don't even check signatures. I could be anybody. I just want in, say my name and one lady looks me up in a bunch of papers, tells my number to another lady who finds me in her bunch of papers and then I sign my name.

I'm so impressed with this whole operation! NOT!:001_huh:

In Alabama the laws are you have to have one form of ID...they have about 20 acceptable forms, one being a utility bill...I don't recall my picture ever being on the utility bill...I had my passport with me but the gentleman behind me just had his utility bill and that's all they asked for..

It boils me that there is no picture ID REQUIRED!!

Tara

Nothing here. No ID, no sig, no address, no nothing. Just state your name, they check mark it on a list and in you go. I don't even know the woman who checked us in today, though I often do in our small town.

I find it disconcerting and was really hoping she would ask.

Maryland here.

No ID. They did ask my name, address, and date of birth. (DOB was new - never been asked that before) I did have to sign something but my signature was not compared to anything. Then I voted electronically. I wish there was a paper trail.

Yes, I had to show ID and fill out a card with my name, address, and birth date.

I think showing ID should be a given, and should be required in every state. I also think every store should require ID for using a credit card. It would probably help cut down costs of theft.

I didn't. In our township in PA, you only show your ID the first time you vote. The next time they just compare signatures.

To what do they compare your signature? It seems that making sure the ID presented matches the person presenting it is a whole lot easier than digging thru some past voting records to see a signature. Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, though ......

or is the whole state mail in only? That sounds so weird, and I would hate losing that feeling of going to the polls on voting day.

Yes, it's a real shame. Oregon has been mail-in only for several years, and Washington is 90% mail-in. This election cycle, two counties still had polling places, but that'll be phased out now and all of WA will be voting "absentee". Ugh.

or is the whole state mail in only? That sounds so weird, and I would hate losing that feeling of going to the polls on voting day.

I LOVE vote by mail. Much easier. I get to cozy up in my own chair with my pamphlet and work through everything at my own pace (usually several days). I ALWAYS felt rushed when we had to go to the polls, and there were always things that I missed and was trying to "catch up on" and make a quick decision.

Also no lines. If you are smart enough to get done early then you just drop it in the mail. If you don't you might wait in a bit of a line to drop it off, but I have never had them be too bad. Yesterday I ran down at 12:45 and it only took me about 5 mins to drop it off.

Heather (In Oregon where the whole state votes by mail.)