Menu

Did you have to show your ID to vote?

I didn't. In our township in PA, you only show your ID the first time you vote. The next time they just compare signatures. Honestly, I'd feel much better if everyone showed their ID every year.

So, ID or no ID in your area?

Ria

The only time we've had to show ID was when we moved to other states, and needed to bring ID or a utility bill the first time we voted.

I agree with you about ID, though, and it was a big issue when we lived in WI. In the 2000 election there were some major election rules violations and multiple allegations (and evidence) of voter fraud. Several political groups tried to enact legislation that would require an ID card to vote, and even made provisions for those who could not afford driver's licenses, etc. to get a free ID card (So no one would be "disenfranchised."). But it got shot down.

I'm also in GA, just outside the metro Atlanta area. Yes, they checked ID's and we had to sign a statement confirming we were the person we said we were. Then we went inside where they compared the signature on the form to the signature on your ID.

When we lived in podunk KY we had to show ID's, sign the register, then they compared the signature in the register to the signature on your ID.

Back in podunk AR we had to show ID's. The thing I remember most about voting there was being handed a pencil so I could fill in the bubbles! Ok, that was about 10 years ago but still. Punch cards have been around since I was a kid!

Cinder

I did in the Chicago suburbs, but when listening to the radio earlier today, I heard an announcement reminding first time voters to bring IDs to the polls, without a similar reminder for those who had voted in the past, which made me wonder if the requirement is different in Chicago.

No. I didn't have to show ID and they didn't check my signature. Never have in the 9 yrs. I've lived here. (small town, Iowa)

I think I had to show ID in Kansas, Missouri and Michigan. I can't remember Ohio.....too long ago:001_smile:

Oh, and no ID for voting in Oklahoma nor did they check siggys.

I'm in Maryland. I had to show my voter registration. Then they asked me to verify my birthday (I guess as an added verification).

Voting was smooth. People working were friendly, professional and helpful. This is the third election I've been able to vote in person (we were stationed out of our home state previously) and I've never had a problem.

:)

Val

Yes, I was asked for I.D.; however, it's my first time voting in this state. DH was not asked for ID.

Plus, I registered to vote online, with nothing to verify my address. Today, they allowed my voter registration card to stand as proof of my address. Hmmm.

I'm with you. I'd like them to require ID (and signature matching) every time.

Nope, no ID required here. I took my driver's license, just in case, but they didn't even ask to see my voter registration card (which is good because I have no idea where it is).

I had to sign a sticker, which they put on a form and I had to give to another person to get my ballot, but they didn't check it against anything.

No id required here. I was 4th in line at our precinct, which serves about 1000 residents. They told me I had already voted. I informed them that I had not ( asked them to loook again because there is a woman in our town with the same name as me but her middle initial is L) and they looked and remarked how funny that they had three Annie L's and that all three voted in advance as absentee. There is NO WAY that in our little town there are THREE women with the SAME name in MY precinct...we're a small town.

They did let me vote(just marked out where it said I had already voted), but initially gave me a ballot that only had the federal items on it, and the back (where the state and local items are) was blank. So we all had to get another and start over.

I have no expectation that our town's results will be accurate.

I didn't. In our township in PA, you only show your ID the first time you vote. The next time they just compare signatures. Honestly, I'd feel much better if everyone showed their ID every year.

So, ID or no ID in your area?

Ria

Nope, just my voter ID card. I've voted here twice before, so they found my name on the roll, wrote their info confirming that I was there, got my signature on the line, then moved me onto the voting machines.

Dh's machine wouldn't let him vote for his third party candidate, so they had to come intervene and figure out what to do. (I told him as I passed by out the door after my uneventful vote that it was a sign that he wasn't *supposed* to vote third party. Heh.)

He finally cast his vote after a very few minutes of finagling.

I voted absentee and needed my drivers license to cast my early ballot.

But...If I remember correctly from our last local election, they asked my name and address while looking me up on the roster. Then I just signed no signature comparison. I want to show my id, but they are usually just so casual at our local polling location. (Not a small town by any measure.)

ID here, and it must be shown before you enter the building, and again when they check your name and address against what is on the list. I think you show it at the entrance just so if you forgot it you don't go in and wait in line and then find out you need it.

Carole, Small-town Delaware

Wow...I'm very surprised at the number of us who don't show ID. I think it should be mandatory. You guys would have laughed at me...I gave my name, the woman looked me up and asked me to sign, and I started grilling her about IDs, etc. You would have thought I was a radical, for Pete's sake. But really, someone ought to be checking!

Ria

No ID, but I have to give my address, which they check against a list that includes registered adults at that location, and check me in before I vote and then out after I vote.

If someone else came in and claimed to be me before I got there, I guess they could vote and then I'd have trouble!