Menu

DH is in the hospital?!!

Moxie

Omg, Dh is in the hospital. He threw his back out about a week ago. The doctor gave him a steroid shot and some pills. Today the left side of his body started going numb. The doctor can't see him until next week, sent him to the ER. ER was concerned he is having a stroke (I'm not really concerned about that) did a bunch of tests. He hasn't talked to a doctor yet but they took my info and checked him into a room. Wth?!? And all I can think of is how shitty our current insurance is and how much will this cost.

• Like 3

Moxie, that's my first thought every time I have an allergic reaction and my husband usually gets mad about them for the same reason - fiscal concerns are real and don't mean you love your husband any less ;)

I hope he is okay and they can get to the bottom of the numbness (and that it isn't something like a clot).

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  Hugs Moxie and Arctic,

It sucks. It is just bad enough to deal with these emergencies because they are so frightening but then to have in the back of your mind "How am I going to pay for it?" ARGH!

Dh, who did nothing life threatening, is questioning having had the surgery to repair the tendons in his thumb because our deductible is high, and the insurance will no doubt deny a whole bunch of stuff that they should pay for once we pay the deductible because that is how insurance works. GRRRR....I hate the fact that he thinks it might have better to lose the use of his thumb.

Moxie, I really hope it is something easily treated. Arctic, we like you, suspect your husband likes you, and know that your children need you so don't think about it and go to the ER anyway, okay!!!

With everything happening around the world these days, I am beginning to think it is time for Bennie spam! Hint, hint, hint, hint hint......

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  Hugs Moxie and Arctic,

It sucks. It is just bad enough to deal with these emergencies because they are so frightening but then to have in the back of your mind "How am I going to pay for it?" ARGH!

Dh, who did nothing life threatening, is questioning having had the surgery to repair the tendons in his thumb because our deductible is high, and the insurance will no doubt deny a whole bunch of stuff that they should pay for once we pay the deductible because that is how insurance works. GRRRR....I hate the fact that he thinks it might have better to lose the use of his thumb.

Moxie, I really hope it is something easily treated. Arctic, we like you, suspect your husband likes you, and know that your children need you so don't think about it and go to the ER anyway, okay!!!

With everything happening around the world these days, I am beginning to think it is time for Bennie spam! Hint, hint, hint, hint hint......

Hugs to you all.  I wish we all ived in a system where we didn't worry about whether we could have both food to eat + adequate medical care.

• Like 6

I had two herniated discs in my back that burst and was completely numb on my right side by the time I went to hospital (long story).

If I tell you how much it costs you may faint so I'll spare you 😋

Good news is I haven't had back pain since surgery!!!

Sending healing thoughts!

• Like 1

Here's where I really sound like a bad wife. When I took DH to the ortho urgent care when he threw his back out, he walked in, was cracking jokes, etc. For sure he was in pain. But the woman asked him his pain level and he said 10. Really?? He's seen me give birth 5 times. I've been in so much pain that I was pretty sure death was coming for me and I never once said I was at a 10. So, we approach pain differently.

He could have gone to ortho urgent care tomorrow. In 14 hours. But no. Here we are, probably paying thousands and thousands to be monitored for nothing in this luxury hotel. Kinda pissed.

• Like 4

I think  the possibility of a  Stroke is one thing they must consider, unless and  until they can eliminate that from the list of possibilities.  Nerve damage from whatever he did last week is more probable?  Part of your body going numb, and on only one side, is probably not a good symptom for someone to have. I remember when we had really good medical coverage (before most of our income stopped) that my Primary doctor (Cardiologist) would check me  on one side and then on the other side.  I asked him once,  knowing the probable answer, if they are different, that's a big issue?  For sure...  I hope it turns out to be a very Minor issue and that your DH will be OK soon and allowed to check out of the hospital.

ETA: If this had happened immediately after the Steroid Shot and the Pills, I might think that somehow an Allergic reaction only struck one side of his body, but I'm having a hard time thinking the shot or pills caused this on only one side of his body. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 6

Here's where I really sound like a bad wife. When I took DH to the ortho urgent care when he threw his back out, he walked in, was cracking jokes, etc. For sure he was in pain. But the woman asked him his pain level and he said 10. Really?? He's seen me give birth 5 times. I've been in so much pain that I was pretty sure death was coming for me and I never once said I was at a 10. So, we approach pain differently.

He could have gone to ortho urgent care tomorrow. In 14 hours. But no. Here we are, probably paying thousands and thousands to be monitored for nothing in this luxury hotel. Kinda pissed.

Dh just had a total knee replacement and he never said his pain was a 10.  Highest he got was 8 1/2.  

• Like 1

:grouphug:   I'm a bad wife, too.  Dh was admitted for monitoring because he was having signs of a heart attack (he'd had bypass less than a year earlier so it really seemed like a long shot) and when I asked about what 'admitted for observation' meant, I freaked out. They fessed up that being there for observation means insurance covers it differently...meaning not at all under our insurance. So I was clearly appearing to care more about money than dh, which of course isn't the case. 

I hope your dh recovers quickly. And that your pocketbook isn't hurt too much. 

I hope he's okay.

I hear you on the craptastic insurance.  

We've had multiple hospitalizations this year and the medical bills are huge - the uncovered part, oh my.  I don't know how we'll ever climb out of this.  It's disgraceful to have a healthcare system like this.  :(

• Like 1

It appears that he is just in for monitoring??? This is so dumb. He's got an IV and is on a heart monitor. $$$

If he has an I.V. probably one of the exams found a problem and they are providing medicine. A Heart Monitor? They must be careful... If they were to allow him to leave and he died you would have Malpractice Attornies all over that hospital. I sincerely hope there is no Major issue causing his symtoms. Much good luck to him and his doctors.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My DH always adds on when telling a doctor his pain level that he has a very high pain tolerance--which he does. His outward appearance of how he's handling pain is not obvious to someone who doesn't know him very well. He just doesn't show it. He does get really quiet and his breathing will change with the worst pain I've seen him in--which is with kidney stones. His last spell was this last weekend and we had an ER vs. Urgent Care conversation entirely based on money. We went with Urgent Care. The diagnosis was going to be straightforward as he's had them before.

It sucks that "how much will this cost" is always there. I miss being on Medicaid for that reason--though I don't miss the not knowing how to pay so many other bills that came with the income level for which we qualified for it.

• Like 1

:grouphug:

If they are running tests they probably have good reason.

Last year I took my DH to the ER in the middle of the night because he was in so much pain...I thought he had the stomach flu but worried he might be dehydrated and I felt so stupid for taking him...I couldn't believe all the tests they ran and questions they asked and IVs they hooked up to him all for a silly stomach bug...until they told me he was having a massive attack of pancreatitis. Holy crap, I'd had no idea. Never again will I question why they react the way they do.

I hope it's nothing serious for your DH. Despite all the testing, the best case is that's it's overkill.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

• Like 5

:grouphug:  I hope everything is ok and I wish we had universal health care so no one would have to worry about the bills as much as (or more than) the actual health issues.  It is becoming tougher and tougher for me to think of the US as a First World Nation as far as our citizens are concerned.  Technology, etc, yes, but with other things, we're lacking in some major places.  :grouphug:

• Like 5

That is scary.  Hope he's ok.

It's awful that we have to worry about finances in a medical emergency.  Our insurance is so lousy - we never go for medical care unless a limb is falling off.  I had a medical emergency last month (my intestines were twisted) and I held off going to the ER for 15 hours hoping the pain would subside - I was on the floor crying at times and screaming at my poor DH not to touch me, but I kept thinking I'd be ok if I just gave it some time and I didn't want to spend the money on an ER visit for nothing.

Yeah, I hate making medical decisions based on cost. Usually it involves (for adults) pulling teeth rather than repair.

Last week I treated a large cut on a child at home. It was borderline for "get stitches" based on every "Do I need stitches" website I searched. It seems to be healing OK, but if we didn't have a $100 ER copay plus a surprise bill for whatever wasn't covered it would be healing even better with stitches :( We just could not do any more after two children each had four wisdom teeth removed under general anesthesia- with almost $500 EACH CHILD not covered, and one just got new contact lenses ($570 not covered for initial exam, fitting/follow up, and contacts) that we'd already been putting off for six months.

Hope all is well, keep us posted!

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 1

I'd want to quickly poke him where he hurts 😡 I'd feel bad about it, but I'd want to.

• Like 2

You can still see if you qualify for additional secondary insurance or other programs.  Never hurts to ask as often hospitals will work with you on the finances if you ask.

On the flip side of where you are, my dh THOUGHT he pulled a muscle in his back at the YMCA.  He went almost 2 days like that and then finally let me take him to the hospital.............he was in surgery for stents in under an hour of our arrival (goal is under 20 minutes from the time you walk in the door until you are in surgery but they had another patient on the table already).

• Like 1

I hope will be OK. His symtoms may be completely unrelated to his Back issue of a week or so ago. That would not cause him to be on a Heart Monitor. I hope they can diagnose him soon and correctly. Diagnosis is the hardest thing for an M.D. with a patient with symptoms with multiple possible causes. Good luck to him and his doctors!

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Jus checking in, Moxie, and hoping your dh is doing well. Are you still at the hospital with him?

No, I came home to take care of kids. He is fine, bored, and annoyed that he will be late for work tomorrow 🙄

• Like 3

See if they'll give him an MRI. My husband herniated a disc in his back that "threw it out" and gave him excruciating pain. Then it went numb when the nerve that was being pinched started to die. His whole right side went numb. Sounds very familiar.

Very interesting and possibly dead-on for the OP.  Question: Did they have a Heart Monitor on your DH?

This article about the causes of Numbness is from a very reputable source, the Mayo Clinic. As you can see, there are numerous different things that can cause Numbness. 

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/numbness/basics/causes/sym-20050938

He has metal in his body so he can't have an MRI. That is part of why he is still being monitored.

Ugh. I'd definitely question if it's a herniated disc. I'd definitely push for a neurosurgeon to evaluate it. There will be other signs (calf weakness, foot drop, reflex issues, etc.). The faster they fix a disc, the better chance he has for nerve regeneration.

• Like 2

Ugh. I'd definitely question if it's a herniated disc. I'd definitely push for a neurosurgeon to evaluate it. There will be other signs (calf weakness, foot drop, reflex issues, etc.). The faster they fix a disc, the better chance he has for nerve regeneration.

+1 for this.   Where we lived before, our next door neighbors on one side were M.D.s.  He's a Neurosurgeon.  They can do a lot of things, in addition to Brain Surgery.