Menu

Frugal Wedding: Ideas needed

Halftime Hope

Would you share your best ideas for several wedding decorating problems we need to solve?

1) An aisle runner.   Dd doesn't want an aisle runner, but the venue is dirt and pebbles, no grass. (It's a rustic wedding, simple and low key, at a beautiful camp which we will have to ourselves for 24 hours. (It fits dd and dSIL-to-be who both dearly love the outdoors.)  I think she is going to have to have a runner, and I think it will have to be wider than 36" since her dress will be dragging on the dirt.   Polyester runners are cheap, but since the ground is uneven, I'm afraid peoples' heels will go through it, since it isn't supported by a flat floor.  (I can't control what everyone wears in footwear.)  I'll have to ask her to find out from the camp how long the walkway will be.  any non-conventional ideas for how to do that on the cheap?  (Commercially available fabric wedding runners are at least several hundred dollars, but I think we need it to be sturdy fabric.)

2) She and I are both doing this long distance, so in essence, it is a destination wedding for us.  Ideas for decorations that are inexpensive and portable in luggage (or not heavy to ship) would be welcome.  There is no focal point in front of the camp benches for the ceremony, so that's my primary "decorating" concern.

3) She'd like café lights for after the wedding ceremony (for dinner and family-style dancing; both fun, not fancy).  I'm trying to figure how to get that done, since we don't even know how far apart the trees are.  Ideas?

Thank you for any and all suggestions.   (I've only been to a few weddings, and none in the last 5 years.)

What about canvas drop cloths?

If there is a local garden shop there, see if you can rent out their ferns for decoration. Maybe some of their potted bushes, things like that. Might be worth asking about.

Can't help you on the cafe lanterns, but if it's a camp, what about actual camp lanterns?

• Like 4

If it is going to be outdoors, I'd approach it from the other direction.   The dress can't drag on the floor.   Also, the wedding party shouldn't wear heels.   Also, worn people about pebbles and suggest no heels.  

One book that I found very helpful for wedding planning frugally, talked about the elegance in making almost everything match in formality level.    If I remember right, an example of an inelegant wedding was a poofy dress with train and veil at a barn wedding.    The example of elegant frugal was a main entree of spaghetti noodles with tomato sauce.   You are thinking not very elegant, right?     But make the wine a Chianti, serve an antipasto appetizer, play Pavarotti recordings, etc, then ordinary spaghetti becomes elegant.   

So, I think if you change your decorating viewpoint from "traditional wedding" theme, to "Outdoor", I think you will be good.   What would you have for a nice party at that location?   

Also, and this is just me, but I think that Alter decorations are a distraction.    The focus should be on the bride and groom, who should face each other.  

• Like 11

If it is going to be outdoors, I'd approach it from the other direction.   The dress can't drag on the floor.   Also, the wedding party shouldn't wear heels.   Also, worn people about pebbles and suggest no heels.  

One book that I found very helpful for wedding planning frugally, talked about the elegance in making almost everything match in formality level.    If I remember right, an example of an inelegant wedding was a poofy dress with train and veil at a barn wedding.    The example of elegant frugal was a main entree of spaghetti noodles with tomato sauce.   You are thinking not very elegant, right?     But make the wine a Chianti, serve an antipasto appetizer, play Pavarotti recordings, etc, then ordinary spaghetti becomes elegant.   

So, I think if you change your decorating viewpoint from "traditional wedding" theme, to "Outdoor", I think you will be good.   What would you have for a nice party at that location?   

Also, and this is just me, but I think that Alter decorations are a distraction.    The focus should be on the bride and groom, who should face each other.  

I think this is all really great advice.  Do you already have the dress?  Our dd went tea length.  This could work for you if she likes the idea.

They did a tea length dress paired with Dockers pants/button down shirt/vest.  The boys wore button downs but with suspenders.  

The pastor gave them a suggestion of *them* being elevated and him being lower so that they could face out to the crowd and everyone could watch them make their vows.  We obviously had the church as the backdrop but all eyes were on them.  Another idea - a dear friend of mine used an arch that was already there.  This could be rented from somewhere local to the venue and then you would just need flowers.  Hobby Lobby carries the flowers prestrung on ribbon if they would match well.  Their kiddos got married on the beach and so it was just the arch and the couple.

• Like 2

Could you rent a truck to pick up supplies near the wedding site?  

A couple sheets of inexpensive plywood covered by the Polyester runners could make a nice walkway.

Artificial flowers/vines interwoven into some cheap lattice board could make a nice background.  You'd need a way to support the lattice ... maybe temp fence posts.  Or you could skip the lattice and hang the flowers down from some string.

For "cafe lights," could you string rope in the trees and then hang inexpensive votive candles inside "tin-can" holders.  These could also be used for table decorations.

Some pictures ...

post-59957-0-92616100-1499885649_thumb.jpg

post-59957-0-54872500-1499885662_thumb.jpg

post-59957-0-23389600-1499885668_thumb.jpg

post-59957-0-50211800-1499885674_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I once catered an outdoor wedding where right before the ring bearer and then the bride walked down the aisle they unrolled something just to keep her dress nice and the flower girl sprinkled flower petals on it  and they rolled it up once the bride was back down the aisle. It wasn't awkward. I think the young men who did the unrolling probably practiced a few times at the rehearsal dinner. 

Also, if you are having it catered see what they will do in terms of decorating, then you don't have to bring things. When I catered wedding we brought lots of extra decorations all the time at no cost to the guest. Most caterers probably have a similar "prop closet". 

• Like 3

I've seen this, too, where the runner is put down after the wedding party walks up the aisle, but before the flower girl and the bride.

I once catered an outdoor wedding where right before the ring bearer and then the bride walked down the aisle they unrolled something just to keep her dress nice and the flower girl sprinkled flower petals on it and they rolled it up once the bride was back down the aisle. It wasn't awkward. I think the young men who did the unrolling probably practiced a few times at the rehearsal dinner.

Also, if you are having it catered see what they will do in terms of decorating, then you don't have to bring things. When I catered wedding we brought lots of extra decorations all the time at no cost to the guest. Most caterers probably have a similar "prop closet".

• Like 1

For an aisle runner, you can get canvas dropcloths in 4' widths (usually 12' long). I've bought them at Home Depot, but Amazon carries them, too, for ~$12-13. The color is a sort of muslin/linen/beige, and they could be repurposed after the wedding (either as actual drop cloths, or as curtain or upholstery fabric).

• Like 4

We went to a just lovely camp wedding in May.  The invitation forewarned about uneven terrain and the guests word flats or sandals.

I've been to *many* weddings, both formal and fun, where the runner was just for the flower girl and bridge.

I love the idea of a burlap runner; the camp wedding we went to used burlap for table runners atop plain muslin tablecloths down the middle of end-to-end picnic tables as well.  If the bride really wants white or ivory, I expect you could use a roll of fabric liner (for curtains) -- you can get it for less than $2/yard before the Joann coupon.  

True cafe lights are heavy and a bit tricky to install -- they start to droop if the distance gets much past 12-15 feet -- but ordinary white Christmas lights are so light you can string them easily between trees and impart much the same effect (albeit less light).

At "our" camp wedding, they wrote out the table assignments with a sparkly gold Sharpie onto little flowerpots, into which they stuck flower seed packets.  #Awesome

• Like 4

I once catered an outdoor wedding where right before the ring bearer and then the bride walked down the aisle they unrolled something just to keep her dress nice and the flower girl sprinkled flower petals on it and they rolled it up once the bride was back down the aisle. It wasn't awkward. I think the young men who did the unrolling probably practiced a few times at the rehearsal dinner.

Yes, this. In weddings where there's a runner, it's often rolled out just before the bride comes down the aisle. It's a great way to incorporate kids into a wedding party, or a task to give the ushers a little more to do. Personally I'd be a little more concerned about the bride's footwear and whether or not HER heel will go through - don't want her to trip!

• Like 4

My first thought was to check local thrift stores for cheap "oriental" carpet runners or a few smaller rectangular throw rugs of similar style to lay down, which could be covered with a fabric runner if the mix and match look was too informal, but that would be difficult to do from a distance. Whatever you use, you'll want to plan for someone to sweep the rocks away from the area so that it will lie smoothly and make sure it's heavy enough or secured in some manner that it doesn't blow around if the wind kicks up.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm just terminally klutzy, but if I tried to eat spaghetti with tomato sauce in a wedding gown, it would end up looking like the theme of my wedding was "CSI crime scene"!

• Like 7

Thank you all for all the good ideas!  I knew this was the right place to ask.  ;)

I have some really cute sandals for the wedding rehearsal dinner, but I'm working on finding flats for the wedding itself...I'd like something closed-toed in case we get schmotsy weather.   She and I both want long dresses, and hers has a bit of a train, I'd say maybe three feet long. The dress itself is very understated, but elegantly so.  Nothing poofy.   Interestingly enough, she chose the same silhouette (long, tall, and "flowy") for her dress that I did for mine.  (She hasn't seen the wedding pics in at least 16 or 17 years, so I was surprised.)

She may have to get a lighting company hired in to do the café lights.

We're going to do simple floral arrangements ourselves, and I love the strung flowers someone posted upthread.  What a beautiful idea. 

Keep the ideas coming, please, and thank you!!

Would you share your best ideas for several wedding decorating problems we need to solve?

1) An aisle runner.   Dd doesn't want an aisle runner, but the venue is dirt and pebbles, no grass. (It's a rustic wedding, simple and low key, at a beautiful camp which we will have to ourselves for 24 hours. (It fits dd and dSIL-to-be who both dearly love the outdoors.)  I think she is going to have to have a runner, and I think it will have to be wider than 36" since her dress will be dragging on the dirt.   Polyester runners are cheap, but since the ground is uneven, I'm afraid peoples' heels will go through it, since it isn't supported by a flat floor.  (I can't control what everyone wears in footwear.)  I'll have to ask her to find out from the camp how long the walkway will be.  any non-conventional ideas for how to do that on the cheap?  (Commercially available fabric wedding runners are at least several hundred dollars, but I think we need it to be sturdy fabric.)

2) She and I are both doing this long distance, so in essence, it is a destination wedding for us.  Ideas for decorations that are inexpensive and portable in luggage (or not heavy to ship) would be welcome.  There is no focal point in front of the camp benches for the ceremony, so that's my primary "decorating" concern.

3) She'd like café lights for after the wedding ceremony (for dinner and family-style dancing; both fun, not fancy).  I'm trying to figure how to get that done, since we don't even know how far apart the trees are.  Ideas?

Thank you for any and all suggestions.   (I've only been to a few weddings, and none in the last 5 years.)

1) - how about flower petals.   if she has a floor length gown - there needs to be something.   but if she's going to be dragging it through the dirt in other places at the venue, it become moot.

canvas is heavy - but you'd want to find something in a pleasing color.  and tarp blue ain't it. . .

3) minilights.  have posts (rebar could work well. cheap, make them into a tpee.) hang the lights on the rebar and string it between 'teepees".

• Like 1

My first thought was seashells, but that wouldn't be practical and probably is more beachy. I like the burlap idea and shorter length dress/no heels.

I would not anticipate lugging any decorations if you're going by plane. By car, you could probably do it.

For focal point I might try to do an arch. I don't know how expensive that is, though! A wooden arch with fake flowers or something wrapped around it?

Maybe using Christmas Tree Lights to augment the lighting?  At this time of year, you could borrow them from your friends.  Our church has dozens of strands . . . which are not being used in July! 

I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with the slightly-less-formal options being more congruous with the setting of the wedding (and honestly, the current wedding trends). 

(At our dd's wedding, friends wrapped borrowed white tulle in the lights, which gave the room a soft glow.)

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 2

Oh, for the focal point -- Jewish marriages take place under a chuppah, the fundamentals of which are four poles and a piece of cloth.  They are eminently portable, lol - the most traditional version is, literally, four sticks held by attendants and a prayer shawl.  

But there are many many variations on the theme, in which the sticks are held up in flowerpots and vines trail attractively and whatnot.  Take a look here for ideas.

The idea is that the chuppah symbolizes the new home the couple is about to create.   :001_wub:

• Like 1

Mebbe she can make curtains out of the drop cloths after staining them with tea.   :smilielol5:

ETA:   I'm only half-kidding; they will need curtains.

They make great curtains:

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/drop-cloth-curtains/?lp=true

They can be bleached, dyed, painted, and if you use fusible tape for the hem and rings with clips for the top, they can be made in minutes with no sewing needed. Cheap and easy way to get windows covered quickly, even if the plan is to eventually something more formal.

• Like 2

If you search for drop cloths for a HALL, you'll find just the dimensions you need! I have one that's about 20 ft long, and it's awesome. 

Check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Canvas-Drop-Cloth-Runner/dp/B00CMV99HU/ref=pd_cp_60_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WFMC1QT8CNMJFM1F0SYZ  

Just buy two or three, and you'll be golden. 

• Like 3

For the runner you can buy light tan canvas paint cloths that are 4' wide by 12' or more long.  Get some fabric paints, maybe some stencils, and paint a border and/or design down the length.  Sharp heels won't puncture the canvas, it should be easy to do a quick sweep of the surface if needed before the bride starts her approach, and you can tailor the colors to whatever you want.

My cousin's bride had a ground-sweeping gown and decided to go easy on her shoes.  Instead of wearing heels at all she bought some white canvas Keds, a glue gun, and some blingy stuff and decorated the toes.  Her rationale -- no one would see more than the toes of her shoes with the gown she had, her feet would be a lot more comfortable, and she didn't run as much risk of stumbling in her Keds.

• Like 1

I just finished helping with a rustic wedding, and I"m doing another one in October.  I say leave the isle gravel, and pick different shoes.  One bride did glitter Keds, the other is doing boots- this goes for bridesmaids, too!  Neither bride in the weddings are having an isle runner, but we did look at the burlap ones.  One thing I have to say about working with burlap- it does not drape well!  The dresses cover the keds, but it wasn't a big deal- the dress wn't be worn again ;)  ANd it probably won't get that dirty unless it's muddy. 

For the center where the bridea nd groom get married- the one that already got married found an arch and we just put a few flowers and grapevines on it- very simple... but it was windy and kept falling over.  They ahd to attatch it to some logs to keep it from blowing over.  The bride for October wants an organza arch- she is getting married under a tree and the plan is to take fishing line and tie it- once in the middle, then on each side, to sort of create an arch.  The branches are all over, but with the fishing line we will be able to adjust it up and down as needed.  It may not be exactly straight with the chairs/pews/benches, but I think it will work.  The organza will then drape to the ground.  Depending on how the ground lays, we may have to create a little stand for them so everyone can see- this can be covered w/ the burlap (probably from the other wedding LOL). 

The first bride made a bunch of mason jars, frosted them, and put in those little fairy string lights in them for the dancing part and we hung them (hers was in a barn).  The second bride says no need, she is going simple, but we may use the mason jars to line the isle.  We talked about hanging them in the trees, but they are sort of heavy.  There are just the  fairy lights that don't require plug-ins, theyrun off a battery.   They are shorter (we put them in the mason jars), but you could string some in the trees if you wanted.  One thing I will sa about strining lthe lights, it will be harder than you think!  In the summer with the leaves and such, I don't think it will even look that good.  If there is an outdoor pavilion, you could string them around that, but I wouldn't even attempt to put them into trees.  Bride one's wedding was in a barn, so we decorated quite a bit (tulle, lights, burplap on the walls, organza drapes, ect.,), bride 2 says the outdoors are her decorations, so the lan is very minimal decorating.  Keep in mind that all that decorating takes a LONG time.  We spent an entire day on the barn wedding just putting up the burlap, tulle, lights, organza- that did not include tables decorated, the actual flowers that weren't delivered until the day of, ect.  I'm not sure how long you have, but if it's just the one day of the wedding, I don't think you will logistically have that much time to put up much of anything.  I don't think people realize how long it will take to decorate, even when the decorations are pre-made ahead of time.  There is still set-up time involved- tables, cake tables, not to mention the food to figure out where to store, set out, ect.  I hope you have a lot of help!  There were about 10 of us helping at the last wedding, and probably that many at the next one coming up. 

To help hold decorations I suggest white pipe cleaners, push pins/tacks, white duct tape and floral wire.  Don't forget a hammer, wire cutters, hot glue gun (seriously should be at every wedding- can repair dresses, shoes, anything!), and possibly super glue. 

Have you called and asked for local florists?  Chances are they have decorated for a wedding there bfore and may be able to rent you an arch and help with the set-up.  Good lucK!  Remember at the end of the day, they will be married!  No matter what happens, what decorations you do or don't use, no matter the shoes or dress ;) 

• Like 3

Dd is definitely wearing flats.  I haven't found anything I'm enamored with yet, but I'm headed in that direction.  I think the drop cloths will be fantastic.  I'm thinking I'll sew them together end to end to make the length we need so it can easily be rolled out.  I don't think there will be time for embellishment/stenciling, but that's OK. 

What kind of forest is the camp in? In a  pine forest you may be able to gather enough fallen pine needles to thickly carpet the aisle. They also smell nice when walked upon.

Luminaria? White paper bags with the edge folded down with sand inside into which you place a candle.

Edited by Kalmia

Maybe I'm just terminally klutzy, but if I tried to eat spaghetti with tomato sauce in a wedding gown, it would end up looking like the theme of my wedding was "CSI crime scene"!

Even if the bride isn't a klutz, there are all those guests to worry about!

I attended a wedding where one of the children tripped and spilled a full plate of spaghetti & sauce all over the front of the bride's gown...

Light, cheap, packable decorations... How about large tissue paper pom poms (fluffed on site)?

What kind of forest is the camp in? In a  pine forest you may be able to gather enough fallen pine needles to thickly carpet the aisle. They also smell nice when walked upon.

Luminaria? White paper bags with the edge folded down with sand inside into which you place a candle.

Luminarias can be great, especially with the little battery-operated tea lights.  There are some that even flicker a bit, like a candle flame.  Best of all they don't blow out easily, and they don't tend to catch fire if they get knocked about.

The one other question is what to do for a night-time send-off.  They are not allowed to do anything with flames, fires, sparklers, etc.  They had wanted to float little paper lanterns out onto the lake, but even eco-friendly items are not allowed.  (Sigh.)

I'm taking suggestions on that one, too.  :closedeyes:

The one other question is what to do for a night-time send-off.  They are not allowed to do anything with flames, fires, sparklers, etc.  They had wanted to float little paper lanterns out onto the lake, but even eco-friendly items are not allowed.  (Sigh.)

I'm taking suggestions on that one, too.  :closedeyes:

Glow sticks?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/5b/2b/e4/5b2be4efa5fa78526cfb344c0bbbc8c9.jpg

You can order them by color.

https://www.windycitynovelties.com/glow-products/shop-by-color.html

ETA: cute glow stick wedding tags. https://www.etsy.com/search?q=glow%20stick%20tags

Edited by Cecropia

They'd need glow stick rings for the bride and groom!

You can order any number of glow-in-the-dark and light-up items in bulk from Dollar Tree, including rings, lanterns, color-changing battery tea lights, etc

https://www.dollartree.com/search/go#?lbc=dollartree&method=and&p=Q&ts=ajax&uid=116895185&w=glow&cnt=300

You can order glowstick swords and have them process through a glowing sword arch, or shower blessings on them with glowstick fairy wands (with a choice of stars, butterflies, or flowers). ;)

Dollar Tree is also a good place for other inexpensive wedding decor. https://www.dollartree.com/search/go#w=wedding

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1