Menu

Putting makeup on in public

Moxie

LOL I just don't know what to say about that.

It reminds me of an I Love Lucy episode where the wives demanded to be treated just like the men, so the husbands obliged.  When the 2 couples went out to a restaurant, the ladies pulled out their compacts and started doing whatever with those brushes - and the men pulled out their electric shavers and started shaving their beards.  LOL.

I don't use make-up, but if I did, I probably wouldn't do it in public.

On the other hand, I do wipe my nose in public, which is probably more gross ....

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3

I liked what they were doing there. It shouldn't be a big deal.

The only thing that bothers me is when people put it on while driving. Ummmm. Watch the road, not your face!

(I don't do make up anywhere but the bathroom, but I don't wear much or carry it with me, so don't really have a dog in this fight.)

• Like 2

I thinik this has been considered bad form for a long time - I remember reading in an etiquette book many years ago that it is a no-no. 

As far as why, I suppose it treads on the borderline of public vs private activities.  Also, it can leave a mess in some cases - I'd bet that was why the taxi driver was annoyed.

What's a private activity is somewhat cultually determined - in some places eating food on the street is rude, and it still seems to be the case here in some contexts - when I was in the military, I wasn't allowed to eat on the street or while walking around.  Make-up application, clipping toenails, even brushing hair, has tended to be that way in our culture - people tend to go to the restroom to do those things.

• Like 2

LOL I just don't know what to say about that.

It reminds me of an I Love Lucy episode where the wives demanded to be treated just like the men, so the husbands obliged.  When the 2 couples went out to a restaurant, the ladies pulled out their compacts and started doing whatever with those brushes - and the men pulled out their electric shavers and started shaving their beards.  LOL.

I don't use make-up, but if I did, I probably wouldn't do it in public.

On the other hand, I do wipe my nose in public, which is probably more gross ....

Not wiping might be worse.

• Like 9

Since we are sharing what we are judgy about....here goes...I hate seeing tween girls wearing high heals...bugs the ever living I dunno out of me....I hate high heals as it is, but ugh...just UGH UGH UGH

I don't know why this bugs me so much.

I think it often looks like they are playing dress up.

• Like 5

Since we are sharing what we are judgy about....here goes...I hate seeing tween girls wearing high heals...bugs the ever living I dunno out of me....I hate high heals as it is, but ugh...just UGH UGH UGH

LOL my daughter loves loves heels.  (I hate them for myself.)  I have heard people make comments about how "ridiculous" my kid's heels were (at the time she was wearing shoes with <1" heels).  I'm thinking, who really cares what my kid is wearing on her feet?  :P

• Like 2

LOL my daughter loves loves heels.  (I hate them for myself.)  I have heard people make comments about how "ridiculous" my kid's heels were (at the time she was wearing shoes with <1" heels).  I'm thinking, who really cares what my kid is wearing on her feet?  :p

Ok 1 inch would not make me bat a lash.

• Like 2

I don't care about heels as long as they wear them well. DD had her 8th grade dance and most of those girls were tromping around like horses trying to stay upright. Sort of ruined their cute look.

• Like 3

Well... I don't love it either.  But when my kid was a tween, she had big feet, and when we needed dressy shoes, all she could find were heels.  Now this was a few years ago, and maybe styles have changed so there are more options, but I would have preferred lower heels for her.

My footwear peeve is flip flops. Sure, they are good in some  places and conditions.  But not riding a bike, hiking on a trail... so bad for the feet. 

• Like 2

I was always taught applying makeup in the car was okay as it can be considered an extension of one's private space (provided you are not the one driving of course!), but in other public settings is was a no-no.  I will admit to touching up lipstick in public on occasion, knowing full well it's a faux pas.  I. just. don't. care.  :001_tt2:

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 3

I couldn't even watch the whole thing.  Those poor, poor women. (*snort*)

Actually, the more I think of this... what a weird way to paint women as oppressed or victims.  There is plenty of oppression and victimization of women.  I don't think this is really helpful... I think it trivializes women's issues.  

Maybe I'm taking it too seriously.  I can't wait till my daughter gets  home from work to see what she thinks.  She loves makeup but I don't recall ever seeing her put it on in public. Or maybe she just doesn't do it when she's with me. 

• Like 7

Hmmm. This thread made me think about the weird social dancing around grooming and public situations. Just IMO, presented without justification for inherent contradictions:

Doing full face makeup in public (concealed, false lashes, eyeliner wings, etc) is a bit much. A quick swipe with powder, lipstick, or lip balm is not.

Putting up signs is going too far. 

Given the things I have seen in NYC subways the signs are downright ridiculous.

Being a passenger in a car either private or taxi gives you more rights to privacy then being on transit, despite sitting next to a big window.

It's silly to me that a taxi driver would ask a passenger to put away makeup unless it's some crazy glittery mess. 

• Like 2

I wonder if there is some specific reason for the subway signs?

I do too.  Quick googling didn't provide any answers.  My guesses:

- spreading out too much, bumping people.

- possibility of spills (though most makeup isn't real spilly)

- possibility of poking oneself in the eye with a mascara wand, then suing the transit system for harm  (farfetched, maybe, or maybe not) 

Trains stop and start, and aren't always smooth.  Not the best place to keep a stick by one's eyes.  Or someone else's.

• Like 4

I admit i find most grooming in public distasteful... someone I know carries around nail clippers and has been seen clipping his nails at venues like the zoo ughhh ... I don't wear makeup at all but... the Queen touches up her lips in public so I say good enough for her probably good enough for the rest of us :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/10988720/A-touch-of-lipstick-in-public-The-Queen-is-one-of-us.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't care about heels as long as they wear them well. DD had her 8th grade dance and most of those girls were tromping around like horses trying to stay upright. Sort of ruined their cute look.

My kids were in a play on the weekend.  There were 10/11 year old girls in 3 inch heals (the kids could pick/assemble their own costumes).  Sure, it suited the particular play, but they were walking around as if the shoes were killing their feet.  My heart sank a little.  Like...ohhhh...geee...just why would they do that?  It's not necessary at all.

The signs aren't really about makeup. They're about people who comb their hair and then clean their combs and leave the mess there, or clip their nails and leave the mess there, or paint their nails, the last of which is an inherently smelly job.

They're part of a series of signs about, among other things, not hogging the pole, not breakdancing, not eating smelly food, and not taking up three seats for one person.

• Like 4

First of all, do we know that those signs actually exist, outside of the Covergirl commercial?  Do we know that a real cab driver actually asked that woman to stop?

Secondly, if indeed a real cab driver asked someone to stop using make-up in his cab, it could be because a previous person made a mess doing that.  He could be allergic or sensitive to some of the ingredients.  Could also be a cultural thing with the cab driver.  I mean it's his cab, right, and he has a lot of rights over what does and doesn't happen in there.  But again, who knows that that actually even happened ....

I admit i find most grooming in public distasteful... someone I know carries around nail clippers and has been seen clipping his nails at venues like the zoo ughhh ... I don't wear makeup at all but... the Queen touches up her lips in public so I say good enough for her probably good enough for the rest of us :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/10988720/A-touch-of-lipstick-in-public-The-Queen-is-one-of-us.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Haha. I regularly go to two places where people groom their toenails in public and it seems perfectly acceptable, the rock climbing gym and the ballet studio. 😂
  • Like 2

I was always taught applying makeup in the car was okay as it can be considered an extension of one's private space (provided you are not the one driving of course!), but in other public settings is was a no-no.  I will admit to touching up lipstick in public on occasion, knowing full well it's a faux pas.  I. just. don't. care.  :001_tt2:

Yep, me too.  I have dry lips and constantly have to have something on them, sometimes it's lipstick, lip gloss, or chapstick but I will put it on anywhere and everywhere.  If someone doesn't like it they don't need to look.

I do find it odd to do more than that though, like applying a full face out in public seems strange, but I couldn't bring myself to care one way or the other.  Live and let live.

Don't care what other people do.  I put what little make up I wear, on occasions when I wear it, on in bathrooms and the car, with the exception of lip make up which I will put on anywhere in public.  

I understand if it leave anything behind, why people would be bothered. No one should be stuck with someone else's mess.  

Ok I am constantly using chapstick in public all winter long.  That stuff is just necessary in the upper midwest. 

I do think makeup can have a slight scent or be powdery or slightly messy.  And I can see why they have the subway signs.  Especially after being in NYC recently and riding the subway a bunch.  The best signs are the ones not to use the poles for your latest routine.  LOL. 

When I see someone doing full face out in public, I always wonder what the heck that is all about.  I wear a little make up sometimes.  But once I walk out the door, I just can't imagine caring enough to touch it up.  LOL. 

• Like 2

I could care less if other women put on make-up in public but it would probably gross me out if someone was clipping their toenails in public.  If someone was breakdancing in the subway I would like that!

I don't wear much makeup and don't tend to reapply away from home but this thread made me remember that recently I did quickly put on chapstick in public and another woman gave me a really dirty look.  I did not know it was offensive!

I don't think there should be a sign asking people not to put makeup on in public.  It diminishes the value of more important public service messages, like smoking or scented products that can make people ill.  It made me sad to see that sign.

I don't get why this is a thing - applying decoration to one's face is not a hygiene act. There is no body fluid, flying hair, toenails, etc.

I can't believe this bugs people. I'm actually kind of disturbed that someone is judging women for daring to reapply lipstick or add some eye liner. Like, for real?

It sounds like covergirl making up drama so that they can generate publicity for themselves, the great defender of women!  

It is pretty common here (Switzerland) to see women putting on their full face makeup on the train.  Some people have 30-60 minute train commutes, what a good use of time!  No one cares.  On the other hand, I think people would be pretty creeped out by clipping nails in the train!  lol.  

There must be a reason for those signs that is unrelated to the suppression of women's "freedoms".  Maybe it's messy, maybe it's because the train has to deal with people shaving, brushing, clipping... and it made more sense to just ban grooming all together than list each grooming act individually as ok or not ok.    

• Like 2

I don't get why this is a thing - applying decoration to one's face is not a hygiene act. There is no body fluid, flying hair, toenails, etc.

I can't believe this bugs people. I'm actually kind of disturbed that someone is judging women for daring to reapply lipstick or add some eye liner. Like, for real?

I think there is probably very little reality to this judgment being "a thing".  

A few women, or maybe most women, once or twice in their lives, have gotten the stink eye for putting on makeup in public.  But when compared to all the other reasons people give other people the stink eye, I really doubt we're looking at a trend.  

Somebody once publicly corrected me for taking my 6 month out in his stroller without shoes on (in the middle of summer).  But I really doubt that baby toe policing is "a thing".  

• Like 2

It sounds like covergirl making up drama so that they can generate publicity for themselves, the great defender of women!  

It is pretty common here (Switzerland) to see women putting on their full face makeup on the train.  Some people have 30-60 minute train commutes, what a good use of time!  No one cares.  On the other hand, I think people would be pretty creeped out by clipping nails in the train!  lol.  

There must be a reason for those signs that is unrelated to the suppression of women's "freedoms".  Maybe it's messy, maybe it's because the train has to deal with people shaving, brushing, clipping... and it made more sense to just ban grooming all together than list each grooming act individually as ok or not ok.    

I showed my daughter (18 years old, calls herself a feminist, loves makeup) the video. She thought it was ridiculous and couldn't bring herself to watch the whole thing.  She said "Cover Girl is failing and they're trying to be relevant."   And "no one wants foundation spilling and people spraying stuff."  Among other things.    :-)

• Like 1

I'm not bothered by applying makeup. I am bothered by people taking extra space and making a mess and leaving that mess behind. So if you put on makeup in a place like a gym locker room, I find spreading out everything so that you monopolize significant counter space rude and leaving trash behind rude. If there's only a few mirrors and multiple people dressing after sounds class, you shouldn't hog it.

I don't know how you can do the full face application without getting in someone's way on public transit. I'm sure someone can. A swipe of lipstick fine. But I have seen people really spread out doing other stuff. So I don't think the issue is makeup, but personal space.

• Like 2

In the video, the woman mentions getting the stink eye for "baking". If you don't know what that is, google it. It is super messy! And you look like a goof while you do it so I don't understand why you would do that in public?

• Like 4

I barely manage to put it on at home. Ain't no way I'm fooling with it in public, or at least not more than a swipe of balm for dry lips.

You are my people!

I have put on foundation, mascara and lip balm while sitting in my car (parked!) before I go in to a wedding, graduation, party, etc. 

• Like 2

In the video, the woman mentions getting the stink eye for "baking". If you don't know what that is, google it. It is super messy! And you look like a goof while you do it so I don't understand why you would do that in public?

Yep. After that line, I was pretty much done listening. I don't want someone "baking" next to me, powder flying everywhere...

• Like 3

When I was in secondary school, it was a thing to carry a certain kind of comb in your back pocket (handle sticking out), and kids would "feather" their hair back all day long, in class, etc.  I recall my art teacher telling us that it is decidedly bad manners to comb hair in public.  After that, I never did it.  :P  Have to admit I didn't realize it before that.

I looked at Tanaqui's link and I don't see a problem with the "clipping / primping" notice on there.  It shows a person combing her hair.  Aside from taking up space, hair tends to fly when people comb.  Hair has stuff on it that other people don't want to share.  And, I don't need to show up to work with your hair on my lapel.  :P  Seems like basic consideration to me.

I don't recall ever having a passenger next to me trying to comb or clip.  I guess most people do realize that isn't cool.

I only watched part of the video.  I looked at the sign.  It is just on of many basically telling you to take up as little space as possible.  I get it.  I was especially interested because I have a girl who LOVES makeup.:)  She applies it in the car if she's in a hurry.  I really don't think twice about that although I don't want to drag my stuff out of the house. LOL

BUT, when I was a teen, I had this awesome spiral perm that needed occasional maintenance. LOL  So, I kept a cordless curling iron in my purse at all times.  So relieved I lived in a rural area.  I can't imagine balancing something like that and a mirror on a subway.  Now that is dangerous. LOL

• Like 1

I am old school enough to prefer grooming to remain private...but even in the old days ladies would touch up their lipstick in public. I wouldn't hang up signs or scold people for public behavior that I find distasteful, though. And if I did, I wouldn't start with makeup.

I vote made up (ha) outrage on the company's part for advertising purposes. I was offended at the idea that women are being denied civil rights by people who give a side eye to their makeup routine on the bus. Until you are thrown OFF the bus, or made to sit in a Makeup Wearers Only section at the back, you are not being oppressed. It's stupid and childish to expect 100% approval from 100% of strangers for everything you do.

• Like 2

Yeah, somehow I think of applying chapstick, or lipstick touch-up, as different from "applying make-up".

The thing I find weirdest about these girls doing full face is that to me, it isn't a process I'd want anyone to see - if I was happy to go out in the first place without it, I'd not need so much I couldn't get it done at home.  But, I guess I am the wrong audience, I find the girls they are interviewing very heavily made up - they look to me like they are ready to go out in the evening to some sort of fancy place.  I'd feel like I was putting on my foundation garments on in public.

• Like 1