Menu

Returning fashion trends...

Janie Grace

I am so happy about florals being everywhere -- I love, love, love them. And yesterday in Urban Outfitters, I saw denim overall shorts. Cute and so comfy.

But also... body suits. With snaps at the crotch. You know, the onesies for adults, except we don't wear diapers so they are RIDICULOUSLY uncomfortable... WHY???

• Like 3

I wore body suits in the 80s.  I thought they were great for keeping blouses tucked in under skirts and trousers.  Kind of a pain to use the toilet, but otherwise, I found them useful and comfortable.   Now, I don't ever tuck anything, so... won't be buying any.   

• Like 3

I wore body suits in the 80s.  I thought they were great for keeping blouses tucked in under skirts and trousers.  Kind of a pain to use the toilet, but otherwise, I found them useful and comfortable.   Now, I don't ever tuck anything, so... won't be buying any.   

Maybe this is like the seam in undies thread... those snaps were just bad for me.

• Like 1

My brain twitches at the mere thought of a body suit!

Why is there a rash of bad, bad fashion ideas coming back??? Shirts that look like huge sacks? Pants with elastic ankles and gaudy patterns?

And the solid colored short shorts with the rounded legs and white bias tape along the seams. When dh told me the 70's were coming back--because of these shorts--I thought he was joking. But I went to Target that week and saw it all for myself. :svengo:

• Like 4

I kind of like bodysuits, because you never have to worry about your shirt untucking! 

What I really don't like now are all the cropped pants.  I've been looking for just a plain pair of a lighter-fabric/summer black jeans.  Every store I've been to only has cropped jeans this time of year.  (I did finally find a pair online.)  

• Like 1

And the solid colored short shorts with the rounded legs and white bias tape along the seams. When dh told me the 70's were coming back--because of these shorts--I thought he was joking. But I went to Target that week and saw it all for myself. :svengo:

It is the apocalypse of fashion.

Duck everyone!

I really just want to buy board shorts and bikini tops, some cut offs, and sleeveless tanks, buy a bungalow in Jamaica, and sit around watching the world pass by. Maybe when decent clothes come back, I will consider leaving my beach bungalow and rejoin civilization.

Nah....better to just stay on the beach forever.

• Like 5

I actually like those—for DD, not me.

I don't get rompers past about age 3. They are all the rage with the teens and twenty somethings though.

I know.  I saw those, and the snap-crotch body-suits in the store the other day and thought, "Oh, you poor things."  

My mom had a box of old high school clothes with a mint green romper in it. I thought it was so cool and sophisticated and couldn't wait to grow up and wear rompers.

I'm 30 and pants aren't really my style, but part of me is still fascinated by rompers and I kind of want to buy one just to get it out of my system. And then when I'm 60 or 70 and they come back into style I can be all "Oh my goodness, rompers! I had one when I was 30, and..."

• Like 2

Back in the 80s when I was young and skinny, I used to love the snap-crotch bodysuits for tucking. Now that I am old and lumpy, they make me shudder, and besides no one wants to see me in anything tucked in...

I don't get rompers past about age 3. They are all the rage with the teens and twenty somethings though.

I don't get rompers past age 3, for anyone, but what is with these *pastel* shorty rompers for grown-ass men??!! (And no, pairing one with a pimp coat doesn't make it more manly. ..)

http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/news/a55081/romper-for-men-romphim/

• Like 3

Back in the 80s when I was young and skinny, I used to love the snap-crotch bodysuits for tucking. Now that I am old and lumpy, they make me shudder, and besides no one wants to see me in anything tucked in...

I don't get rompers past age 3, for anyone, but what is with these *pastel* shorty rompers for grown-ass men??!! (And no, pairing one with a pimp coat doesn't make it more manly. ..)

Ewwwwwww...

My eyes, my eyes, oh my eyes!!!!😵

• Like 6

That's terrible!!!!
  • Like 2

I always tucked in my shirts, long past when it was fashionable.  Then I decided to get fashionable again and untucked.  Then I got a muffin top.  No tucking in my future!

Seriously.  I saw that on FB earlier today and about spit out my coffee.  I think rompers look terrible on women, I just cannot imagine seeing that on a man in person.

Dotted swiss and floral dress shirts for men as well.  

• Like 3

Seriously.  I saw that on FB earlier today and about spit out my coffee.  I think rompers look terrible on women, I just cannot imagine seeing that on a man in person.

Dotted swiss and floral dress shirts for men as well.  

Does "floral dress shirts" mean that James May is back in style?

:::if you don't watch Tog Gear/whatever the new show is called, never mind:::

Young men: be forewarned!  The pictures of you wearing these floral shirts will be wonderful opportunities for your future mates to embarrass the tar out of you at parties.

Heh heh heh. 

Why is there a rash of bad, bad fashion ideas coming back??? Shirts that look like huge sacks?

I hate this trend so very, very much. I hated it when skinny jeans came back: 80's Guess? jeans flashbacks. Not pretty. Now 80's style shapeless humongous shirts are back too? Lord, please, don't let them bring back 80's hair! Anything but the hair!!!

ETA: I know that I'm alone in my hatred of skinny jeans. I'm just glad somebody else understands my hatred of tops shaped like paper grocery bags with arm holes!

Edited by Greta
  • Like 2

Does "floral dress shirts" mean that James May is back in style?

:::if you don't watch Tog Gear/whatever the new show is called, never mind:::

Young men: be forewarned! The pictures of you wearing these floral shirts will be wonderful opportunities for your future mates to embarrass the tar out of you at parties.

Heh heh heh.

James May is *always* in style!

;)

• Like 1

These totally remind me of the Bee Gees!

And my Uncle David, but whatever.

:ack2:

Didn't we have a  vomit smilie at one point? That's what this needs. Just, ewwww.

• Like 1

Florals are nice. Dd has the cutest floral leggings. She's two so she can get away with any length top and leggins :laugh:

At least for a man the romper might be easier to use the bathroom... they can just unzip the crotch area I guess. I can't imagine wearing a romper as it would be a bathroom nightmare to me.

Florals are nice. Dd has the cutest floral leggings. She's two so she can get away with any length top and leggins :laugh:

At least for a man the romper might be easier to use the bathroom... they can just unzip the crotch area I guess. I can't imagine wearing a romper as it would be a bathroom nightmare to me.

The day my dh buys a romper is the day I have him committed for psychological observation.

• Like 6

It's like the worst debauched yuppiness with a side of ugly. I can't even.

My son pointed out that in Dr. No, Sean Connery wore rompers, launching a terrifically successful movie series.

I pointed out that it did not launch a successful line of rompers. And Sean Connery.

Because that age is for asserting independence and rejecting advice, even good advice like "that outfit's gonna give you trouble if you have to go to the bathroom in a hurry."

• Like 1

No no no no no. Why did I click on that link? I can't unsee that foolishness. SMH.

No no no no no. Why did I click on that link? I can't unsee that foolishness. SMH.

I warned ya!

If they bring back 80's hair, there is going to be rioting at salons all across America as stupid teenagers want to spend their parent's money to look like the Brat pack of St. Elmo Fire, and desperate Mother's withhold their credit cards and checkbooks, threatening serious acts of desperation if their daughters emerge looking like Molly Ringwald.

This is bad. Very bad. As 80's survivors, we cannot stand for this!

:D

• Like 1

It appears that all the crazy fashion trends of the 70s, 80s, and 90s are being brought back at once.

I just don't think enough time has past since then to bring them back. People are still trying to recover from those decades. How about we bring back styles from tbe 40s and 50s instead?

• Like 4

I just don't think enough time has past since then to bring them back. People are still trying to recover from those decades. How about we bring back styles from tbe 40s and 50s instead?

My daughter would love that!  She tries to find 40's and 50's inspired dresses when she can, and she loves the higher waist on pants of that era too.  There was some really cute stuff in those decades!

Bodysuits!  They always pulled down so that the neckline was so low.  That was fine as a teenager, but now, after nursing a bunch of babies and gaining weight.....nobody wants to see all that cleavage!  I might get arrested if I attempted a body suit these days.  :D