Menu

When you need more than a hoodie

LucyStoner

but less than a giant parka and it's for a casual setting, what coat do you buy?  

I have two hoodies I wear the heck out of.  Most of the time that's enough.  I have a rain shell which I only wear if it is raining and is a bit too snug over many layers.

My only other coat is very dressy and has a frill that I strongly dislike but I have no good reason to replace the coat.  I will wear this dress coat with the detested frill if I am standing graveside at your funeral or I am headed out in a fancy dress in the cold (sooooo basically I wear this coat about 2x a year.  Maybe.  If that.) I will not wear this coat to stand around at soccer practice freezing my tush off.  One, it's not really warm enough and two, it looks rather absurd over what I wear most colder days.  

Do I get some sort of jacket?  A thin down parka?  A down vest and up my layering game?  A plain wool coat I can wear with jeans?  Fleece is cheaper but always seems to attract detritus like velcro.  I think whatever I get needs to cover my hips to keep me warm enough.  Not making me look like a marshmallow is also a desirable feature.  I'm hoping to get something good on clearance.  We still have a few weeks of cold nights at the field and at parks and then next October/November, I can pull it out again.  

If you live in Converse and jeans and sweaters, what coat would you suggest?  I vaguely recall owning more coats before but for the life of me don't know where they came from or where they went.  Where do I get this coat?  I looked at Target today but it was all more "fashion jacket" sort of stuff that didn't seem measurably warmer than my hoodie.  

I would love to drop my kid off at soccer and then drink cocoa inside some warm place before returning for him, but my son has ASD and I need to be there to support the coach if my son has a meltdown.  Just two minor melty moments today that he bounced back from with minimal help, yay...but driving off or even waiting out of sight in the car isn't feasible just yet.  If I could just wait in the car or high tail it to the coffeeshop or library, I wouldn't need this coat, lol.  

Thanks in advance if you have a recommendation for me.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Maybe try a soft shell jacket, parka or normal length depending on the style. Soft shell is a bit more water and wind resistant than fleece and doesn't have that fuzzy finish that fleece does. It's also pretty thin and has some stretch.

Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 1

I love my down coat from Land's End. I also got 3 down vests from there that I love.

I love down because it is warm but lightweight enough that I don't feel like I'm wearing a warm coat. I grew up in the South and hate the feeling of wearing a heavy, bulky coat.

• Like 1

I used to wear a Squall jacket from Landsend - http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-457646_AH.html (Mine is older, so it is a solid color)

I've now switched to a vest because I appreciate the freedom of arm movement, but if I were sitting and watching something, I'd wear the squall.

I do layer with my vest - longsleeve tee, flannel button-up shirt, vest, scarf (because a warm neck = a warmer me). 

I live in jeans and converse.

I've stopped fleece for the reason you mentioned - it never stays fresh looking, in my home. Dog hair, tissue bits, whatever.

I used to wear wool pea coats but - the dry cleaning. I'm meh on them now.

I bought a coat at Costco this year that I love. It's similar to the first REI coat linked. It's the perfect step between hoodie and giant parka. Mine is a green color. Warm enough but not too warm. Works with jeans and converse. :)

• Like 1

I have a super light-weight, packable primaloft jacket, kind of like this one:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-primaloft-parka/id_303639?sku_0=::BLA

I think most bigger stores have their own versions of them, with their own names.  Sometimes they are actually a very light down, or sometimes a down-like material.  I like them because they pack so small!  

• Like 2

Chilly weather - Light weight puffy vest over the hoodie

Chillier weather - light weight fake-down jacket - mine is from London Fog and is similar to the Lands End one posted above.

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/burlingtoncoatfactory/Puffer-Coat-with-Removable-Faux-Fur-Hood-110101083.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp7997799&sc_intid=7997799&gclid=CPO_6a7WxNICFdO6wAod1C0KOQ

Cold weather - heavy winter coat.

I love the love of the longer vest over the hoodie with jeans and tennis shoes, so I actually wear that even when it's a bit too cold for it. But I only paid $25 for the London Fog jacket and it looks good too.

My heavy winter coat makes me look like Marshmellow Girl so I only wear it when I am going to freeze.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 1

Layering.  The key is to choose your technical fabrics carefully so that your layers are lightweight, not bulky, and do their job well.

I rarely wear a coat, unless it gets under 30F.
A lightweight wool sweater is amazingly warm.  I have a merino wool one, and a cashmere one - the cashmere is warmer.  I sometimes wear both together. 

Cover your head (again, fleece or wool are good, and wool with a fleece lining is even better) and wear warm (fleece, wool) socks - covering your extremities makes a huge difference.

Consider a scarf or polar buff - decorative and keeps the neck area warm.  I have the polar reversible buff - it can be worn around the neck or pulled up over nose and ears - perfect for a windy day.  Took me a long time to decide to invest in one, but oh, so worth it.  

A lightweight wicking under layer works well - either a long-sleeved one or just an exercise tank top will do the job.

So consider layering as follows:

• Lightweight tank or long-sleeved shirt, worn close to the body
  • Regular long-sleeved shirt
  • Wool sweater
  • Hoodie
  • Good hat, polar buff or nice scarf, good socks

Add layers in between or on top as needed.

Shop the thrifts, if you have good ones, to find your layers.  I've paid no more than $10 each for my cashmere sweaters, but I'd pay more if I had to because they are just that warm.

• Like 1

It's the wind here that makes it hard to figure out what jacket to wear.  My packable down doesn't seem to quite cut it in the wind, but if I don't want to wear a big coat, I will wear an athletic jacket from Costco or Sams club.  My dd and I can share and we have a black one, and a grey one, and a green one - a couple different styles....  The outside is water resistant and the inside is fleece - I do not like the kind with fleece on the outside - I prefer one that will hold up in a rain storm!  The jackets I look for have a nice shape, not boxy.  Something similar to this:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/midwht-blk-m-in-club-item-353769/prod20651771.ip?xid=plp4070113-appa:product:1:14

You can find this same kind of jacket by north face or columbia, but Sams or Costco often carry their own generic version (but usually in the fall)

Layering.  The key is to choose your technical fabrics carefully so that your layers are lightweight, not bulky, and do their job well.

I rarely wear a coat, unless it gets under 30F.

A lightweight wool sweater is amazingly warm.  I have a merino wool one, and a cashmere one - the cashmere is warmer.  I sometimes wear both together. 

Cover your head (again, fleece or wool are good, and wool with a fleece lining is even better) and wear warm (fleece, wool) socks - covering your extremities makes a huge difference.

Consider a scarf or polar buff - decorative and keeps the neck area warm.  I have the polar reversible buff - it can be worn around the neck or pulled up over nose and ears - perfect for a windy day.  Took me a long time to decide to invest in one, but oh, so worth it.  

A lightweight wicking under layer works well - either a long-sleeved one or just an exercise tank top will do the job.

So consider layering as follows:

• Lightweight tank or long-sleeved shirt, worn close to the body
  • Regular long-sleeved shirt
  • Wool sweater
  • Hoodie
  • Good hat, polar buff or nice scarf, good socks

Add layers in between or on top as needed.

Shop the thrifts, if you have good ones, to find your layers.  I've paid no more than $10 each for my cashmere sweaters, but I'd pay more if I had to because they are just that warm.

As a PNW hiker I have all of that.  I think what is attracting me to a coat is the ability to throw it on and go.  Yesterday I had a thin tank, a long sleeve tshirt, a wool sweater and my hoodie and for whatever reason, I was pacing on the sidelines to keep warmish but I will still cold, lol.  I definitely screwed up by not having my gloves or hat though.  I normally keep those in the van so they are right there but I got to the fields without them.  

• Like 1

As a PNW hiker I have all of that.  I think what is attracting me to a coat is the ability to throw it on and go.  Yesterday I had a thin tank, a long sleeve tshirt, a wool sweater and my hoodie and for whatever reason, I was pacing on the sidelines to keep warmish but I will still cold, lol.  I definitely screwed up by not having my gloves or hat though.  I normally keep those in the van so they are right there but I got to the fields without them.  

I keep a (thrifted) Land's End Squall coat in the car, in case I need something more than a wool sweater.  I rarely use it, but it can be that "something extra" when I have to do a lot of standing around outside (watching kid activity, etc.)

• Like 2

OK I live in Jeans and tees and hoodies/sweaters and nikes (cons aren't supportive enough)

Options I have

Light :

Hoodies and Cardigans -- I wear these pretty much all the time in Fall/Winter. I have LOADS.

Lightweight fleece -- no hood, pullover Warmer than cardigan/hoodie (I have two -- one purple-y, one black)

Rain Jacket (Grey long, columbia -- I can wear one of the above layers under)

Medium:

Heavier Weight Fleece Jacket

Medium-Cold

Disneyland Paris Athletic-style Jacket (looks like a Letterman's Jacket)

Lightweight Wool Swing Coat - Old Navy

Leather Jacket

Cold-Cold

Columbia Long Parka

Heavier Wool Dress Coat

https://www.rei.com/product/870291/arcteryx-atom-lt-insulated-hoodie-womens

I decided to splurge on this coat when they had a clearance on old colors. It's fantastic. I'm not a coat person but I like this one. It's very lightweight and extremely flexible.

I live in this jacket! Also got mine on close-out, maybe Sierra Trading post. Edited by trulycrabby

I wear a variety of things depending on activity. If I'm standing around at a soccer game on a blustery day, I wear a thick Norwegian cardigan sweater with a down vest. Sometimes I will wear a hoodie with a down vest for extra warmth. Or, I wear a variety of layers very similar to the other suggestions.

I usually wear a soft shell insulated jacket.  The one I wear most often is a Walmart clearance item from a few years ago. I think everyone in our home has one from a thrift store (fancy brands like North Face or Patagonia - check the stores in rich areas), and DH ordered a new one from LL Bean that he LOVES.  Says he'll never buy a coat from anywhere else loves.  It's warm, you can zip layers of insulation out of it, it looks good enough to wear to work, and it doesn't look out of place when we go for a long hike either.

If I want something a bit more dressy than an athletic-look jacket I layer a turtleneck or button down under a thick wool sweater.  If that's not quite warm enough or if it's an outside activity, not just walking quickly from one place to another I might add a vest.  A fleece or down vest on top of a wool sweater adds quite a bit of insulation.  It's a preppy look that not everyone loves, but it doesn't go out of style and as long as you don't get moths, wool sweaters last forever.  I still have some from high school.

I also have an old leather jacket that works well for that sort of thing - not well insulated but blocks the wind and adds a thin layer of warmth.

I've been meaning to buy a wool peacoat too, but I can't bring myself to pay a fortune since they're "in style" and all the thrift store versions I've found that fit are not high quality yet.

In the PNW, you need rain-proof. For me, I'm not going to sit or stand at a soccer game in wool or down. I have a Columbia jacket that covers my butt and has a hood--it's my go-to for this kind of thing. Warm enough that I don't need to have additional layers for stuff like running errands (I will wear a fleece under it for a soccer game though.) Mine is a lot like the one linked, but not a plus size. I got it at an outlet store. I would trust a similar style from LLBean, Lands End, Northface, etc.

http://www.columbia.com/womens-arcadia-ii-jacket---plus-size-RW2436.html?dwvar_RW2436_variationColor=010#mid=paidsearch&nid=Search%7CBranded%7CProducts%7CJackets%7CUS&oid=NewBrand_Womens_Jackets_Winter&did=columbia+womens+winter+jackets&eid=Google%2BAdwords%2BUS&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!155490947997!b!!g!!columbia+womens+winter+jackets&gclid=CPmHsv-bxdICFUuTfgodwJ8EIg&ef_id=WL8WKgAABV2ZcSN-%3A20170307202058%3As&start=25

• Like 1

In the PNW, you need rain-proof. For me, I'm not going to sit or stand at a soccer game in wool or down. I have a Columbia jacket that covers my butt and has a hood--it's my go-to for this kind of thing. Warm enough that I don't need to have additional layers for stuff like running errands (I will wear a fleece under it for a soccer game though.) Mine is a lot like the one linked, but not a plus size. I got it at an outlet store. I would trust a similar style from LLBean, Lands End, Northface, etc.

http://www.columbia.com/womens-arcadia-ii-jacket---plus-size-RW2436.html?dwvar_RW2436_variationColor=010#mid=paidsearch&nid=Search%7CBranded%7CProducts%7CJackets%7CUS&oid=NewBrand_Womens_Jackets_Winter&did=columbia+womens+winter+jackets&eid=Google%2BAdwords%2BUS&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!155490947997!b!!g!!columbia+womens+winter+jackets&gclid=CPmHsv-bxdICFUuTfgodwJ8EIg&ef_id=WL8WKgAABV2ZcSN-%3A20170307202058%3As&start=25

I'm covered for the rain. I have a lime green Patagonia rain shell that I just zip over the hoodie. I just prefer not to wear it if it is not raining.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Pea Coat.  I have a black wool one from Gap that's about a decade old.  It can go with Converse and jeans or over a pretty dress.  Fits your length requirement.  It's warm.  If it's really cold, I'll wear 2-3 layers underneath and it's plenty warm enough.  

I get it cleaned each season and use a lint brush in between.  At the end of the season I store it in a garment bag.  After a decade it's got a little pilling going on but I don't think it's noticeable and it'll be usable for a long time to come.  

Another thought about warmth but little bulkiness for things like cold winter soccer practice: Have you thought about a silk "long johns" shirt?  They add zero bulkiness and are great for hiking or any activity where you need warmth but don't want thick layers.  Silk's not cheap but it's breathable, durable, can last for many years, and is easily hand-washed/line-dried.  These kind of undershirts can be found at outdoor retailers (Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sierra Trading Post, etc.) and probably Amazon.    

http://www.bostonstore.com/sc1/women/special-sizes-plus-size/breckenridge-plus-size-solid-hooded-walker-coat-1174501.html?attrValId=midnightsky

I just bought that coat, it's waterproof and a little warmer than a hoodie but not as warm as a puffy coat.  I wanted a light waterproof coat with a bit more length than a jacket but still casual.  It's actually pretty cute.  Not frumpy or classic.

I have a thin packable down coat that I wear out for errands. My big coat only goes on if I'm going to be outside longer than ten minutes or so.

BUT, I also wear base layers regularly in the winter and if I've got the top on, I toss a tee on top of that and a hoodie on top of that and I'm good.