Menu

Before we try a doctor--boy acne issue

Moxie

:iagree: with they said. I keep beatin' this drum. One of my kids has been using vinegar, Bragg's, the kind with the "mother" in it. This kid quit using soap on the face, uses it after shower and in the morning. Rinses with water. Uses a cotton flat round applicator. Change pillow cases at least once a week. Seriously, at least cut back on the milk a bit. It may take a month, which may be how long it would take prescriptions or other topical applications.

• Like 1

You said not to suggest, but milk definitely exacerbated my DS' acne very much. He liked milk and drank a lot,but stopped drinking any because his acne was so severe and he really wanted to get it under control. (Even now after it is mainly gone, milk causes flares.) 

So I would have that conversation again with your son to avoid more serious medications.

Of all dietary aspects, this was the most severe contributor.

Sunlight helped some. As did avoiding sugar. But nothing ever controlled acne enough to avoid the doctor.

We tried:

1. topical erythromycin and benzylperoxide. Prescription.

2. oral antibiotic

3. If that does not help: isotretinoin.

ETA: We tried zinc. No effect.

2nd ETA: If I have one regret it is to have waited so long before bringing out the big guns. I wanted to use natural remedies and life style changes. Then I wanted to avoid the oral antibiotics and try topical first, Then we did several courses or oral antibiotics to avoid isotretinoin. In hindsight, I wish I had chosen a different course two years earlier. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I give Zinc to my teen girls. Not daily but hopefully enough to minimize any issues. They've been taking it for a while (several times per week) for several years so I don't know if they just have good skin (I don't have a big problem with acne but my husband did as a teen) or we were able to head off problems by adding zinc. I also have my 11 year old son taking zinc. 

Also, tumeric is supposed to help. I take it, but due to the taste (even in the capsule) I can't get them to take it. 

I agree with seeing a dermatologist — but I wouldn't pay for it until he at least tried to go dairy free for a while. He shouldn't expect you to shell out hundreds of dollars when he's not willing to first try something that costs nothing.

That said, there is a retinoid called adapalene that is excellent for acne, which has just recently become available OTC. It was previously available by prescription in a combo with benzoyl peroxide called Epiduo, which cost a fortune (I think the MSRP was something like $400, and with a special discount card from the derm it was "only" $75/tube). The OTC product is called Differin and you can get it at Target, Amazon, and various other places for $12-15. In addition to the usual retinoid action, it also helps unclog pores, it can be combined with benzoyl peroxide, and it's not as severely drying as some other retinoids.

• Like 4

I suffered from terrible acne throughout my teens and early twenties. Nothing I got from a dermatologist helped. I tried a lot of things and was left with the Accutane option as a last result but I was too afraid of the side effects to try it.

I used ProActive for about 10 years. It really did help but it was extremely drying to my skin. It helped more than anything the dermatologist gave me. But it didn't help as much as cutting back milk. Seriously, I wish someone had just told me that was the problem when I was a teen. But the doctors just said that diet has nothing to do with acne. I probably drank half a gallon of milk a day when I was a teen.

Other than no milk and proactive, the only other thing that works for me is the beach. Between the sun and the salt water my skin always clears up on vacation!

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 3

Is this an instance where switching to organic could help? I am lactose intolerant and get cystic acne from dairy of any kind. It was suggested to switch to organic first to make sure my body was not responding to the various chemicals instead of the actual dairy. However, I get horrible stomach pains, intestinal issues, and in general complete systemic problems not just acne.

We've tried everything at CVS, Paula's Choice and Persa Gel. Before I spend the big money at the derm, what else can I try for DS's acne? He won't give up giant glasses of milk so don't suggest that.

Is he at least not drinking skim milk? Have you tried Fairlife or any of the lower sugar higher protein milk products? I was worried that my son would inherit my acne problems, and I think he did inherit my skin, but he is very into healthy eating and doesn't like sweets, and I think that combined with avoiding skim milk has really made the difference. He's got great skin.

You said not to suggest, but milk definitely exacerbated my DS' acne very much. He liked milk and drank a lot,but stopped drinking any because his acne was so severe and he really wanted to get it under control. (Even now after it is mainly gone, milk causes flares.) 

So I would have that conversation again with your son to avoid more serious medications.

Of all dietary aspects, this was the most severe contributor.

Sunlight helped some. As did avoiding sugar. But nothing ever controlled acne enough to avoid the doctor.

We tried:

1. topical erythromycin and benzylperoxide. Prescription.

2. oral antibiotic

3. If that does not help: isotretinoin.

ETA: We tried zinc. No effect.

2nd ETA: If I have one regret it is to have waited so long before bringing out the big guns. I wanted to use natural remedies and life style changes. Then I wanted to avoid the oral antibiotics and try topical first, Then we did several courses or oral antibiotics to avoid isotretinoin. In hindsight, I wish I had chosen a different course two years earlier. 

I agree with this.

I agree with seeing a dermatologist — but I wouldn't pay for it until he at least tried to go dairy free for a while. He shouldn't expect you to shell out hundreds of dollars when he's not willing to first try something that costs nothing.

That said, there is a retinoid called adapalene that is excellent for acne, which has just recently become available OTC. It was previously available by prescription in a combo with benzoyl peroxide called Epiduo, which cost a fortune (I think the MSRP was something like $400, and with a special discount card from the derm it was "only" $75/tube). The OTC product is called Differin and you can get it at Target, Amazon, and various other places for $12-15. In addition to the usual retinoid action, it also helps unclog pores, it can be combined with benzoyl peroxide, and it's not as severely drying as some other retinoids.

You just made my day!   I am going to get some of this today.

My son has struggled mightily with acne for years.  It seems to come and go. 

One summer, when he was at a camp for a week and swam in a chlorinated pool daily, he came home with beautifully clear skin.  But the acne came back after a few weeks.  We have no pool available for daily swimming.  :-)

He used all the "big gun" remedies and everything seemed to work for a while, then stop.   Adapalene, and later, Epiduo did help, at least for a while. He was on isotretinoan (accutane) for a long time. That cleared it up well too. But then it came back.  

Then, his dermatologist invited him to be part of a study.  For that, he had to use no medications for some period of time beforehand.  His skin cleared up when he was just cleaning with a gentle cleanser.  All through the study he was clear.   But a few months after it ended... acne started coming back. 

I'm hopeful that the OTC adapalene will help, at least for a while.  

BTDT with Teen Boy Acne.

We did the dermatologist's treatment for several years, but refused his offer of Accutane.

Did not see material change, but thought we were doing "all we could".

We ended up finding www.Acne.Org products.

Highly, highly recommend them.  Not cheap, but no doctor's visits.

Lots of instructions about using the products correction.

Our other kids just use OTC Walmart-generic-equivalent of these two Neutrogena products:

Spot treatment:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/10849651?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227009422786&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40842599672&wl4=pla-78656324432&wl5=9014633&wl6=&wl7=9014632&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=10849651&wl13=&veh=sem

Acne wash:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Neutrogena-Acne-Treatment-Oil-Free-Acne-Wash-9.1-fl-oz/10308600?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=52716cce-88d2-44ec-82ae-d2b8207e0d36&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=52716cce-88d2-44ec-82ae-d2b8207e0d36&item_id=10308600&parent_anchor_item_id=10849651&parent_item_id=10849651&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=Q-v70qRHXpz320Jd2t7qoM

ETA:  We too delayed going to the dermatologist, & regretted it.  It was only about $80 per 3 month visit.

He took an antibiotic orally daily, had a special OTC cleanser, and a prescription treatment that came in a tube.  Three items.

Edited by Beth S

If you go no-milk how strict are you with cheese?

I would like some more thoughts on this too. Is everyone talking about completely eliminating dairy?

My dd doesn't drink milk but she eats about 1/2 cup of plain full-fat yogurt and an ounce or two of cheese most days.

One of her friends has (mostly) gone off dairy and started seeing an esthetician (having light therapy and using some topical stuff). Her face cleared up but her back acne is worse than ever. I would think if it was the dairy that her back would be better too?

Have you tried Differin gel (adapalene)?  It was a prescription until like a month ago and now it is OTC.  The doctor wrote a prescription for DS and it was $175 at CVS, but then I found out it is over the counter now for less than $30.  Just a thought.

Edited by Attolia

Another vote for just going to the dermatologist now. You can spend tons more money trying everything on the shelves at CVS! 

I agree!  It turns out it is actually cheaper for us to go to the dermatologist then continuously buying OTC stuff.  The tubes of prescription stuff last for several months, so a $50 copay and about $30 worth of prescription meds lasts us about 6 months.  This does depend on copays and such, of course, but this is what it costs us.

A teenage acquaintance of mine just switched to Evon Healy products. They are spendy but so far, results seem good. She has tried the standard big pharma drug solutions (topical only, not oral meds) and this seems to be better (in addition to being much healthier for the skin with less adverse effects). I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the huge difference it has made already in only a couple weeks. 

I don't think no dairy works for everyone, but it helps a lot of people so it seems worth a try. I could never fully give it up, and I still have cheese and butter in my diet and a little cream in my coffee. I have had very mild occasional acne since quitting milk and my skin is never glowing or anything. But I love cheese and it is A LOT better than it was. And I have makeup, lol... I always thought growing up it must be so much harder on the boys because they couldn't hide it like I could. Of course maybe these days it is no big deal for a boy to wear concealer,I don't know!

There may be other food allergens triggering people for acne but dairy seems to be a big one.

We did try a dermatologist, a very good one, and would still use her if needed for other issues, but the prescription didn't do the job at all. 

And also trying just about every product on the shelf at Target or the drug store for 2 or 3 rounds did not help either.

Fear factor of Accutane but if that's all that works for some folks, so be it.

I never had acne, small monthly breakouts as a teen and young adult.