Menu

Do you currently homeschool?

DawnM

Do you homeschool?  

497 members have voted

1. 1. Do you homeschool? (multiple choice allowed)

• I currently am a homeschooler and HS all of my children
    • I am not currently homeschooling any of my children
    • I have at least one child in a B&M K-12 setting
    • All of my children are in a B&M school (if they are K-12 age) but I used to homeschool
    • All of my children are in a B&M school and I never fully homeschooled (they were after schooled, etc...)
    • My children go to school part time (a true B&M program, not co-op type place)
    • My children go to a co-op or homeschool setting type place for certain classes but we homeschool
    • I am currently a homeschooler and HS at least one of my children
    • Other
    • I homeschooled through high school but my kids are grown/in college/etc..

I joined this site 5 years ago this week, after reading TWTM, 2 years before I started homeschooling full-time. My dd has been at a B&M middle school for a year and a half, but, honestly, she could need to come back to homeschooling at any point. She has a neurological condition that makes being at school difficult. This fall she will apply for high schools, some of which are by audition, some are by lottery, some are by exam scores, so it it a bit out of our control.

When oldest dd was a baby I tutored homeschooled kids-- I was NEVER going to homeschool my own kids! :lol:

When oldest dd was in 1st grade I pulled her out in March due to a verbally abusive teacher. :glare:

The next year she repeated 1st grade at a private school (I taught there too and it was a HORRIBLE experience for dd) for 2nd we switched her and her K sister to another PS and dd did great.  But at the end of 2nd grade her teacher, the school counselor and my dd's phychiatrist begged me to homeschool her (dd was 'quirky and has what now is considered high-function autism or Asperger's --she was solid academically but was falling behind socially).  I was teaching homeschooler's high school math out of my home at the time-- LOVED my students but I was still resistant to homeschooling my own!

I ended up homeschooling oldest dd from 3rd grade through high school graduation.  We 'unschooled' and I tossed what education I could her way when she could handle it.  She surprised us by getting accepted into our local CC and she earned a 3 year degree in photography (graduated with HONORS) and is now in management at a photo studio and lives on her own about 45 minutes from us.

Middle dd began homeschooling when oldest did-- so 1st grade for her.  She was ahead academically and bored at PS.  She was homeschooled until 7th grade (with 1 semester in PS in 4th due to a move that left her lonely--she did great in PS but it was too easy for her).  This dd became oppositional in 5th grade and was 'expelled from our homeschool' in 6th... she THRIVED at our local PS-- we had moved to a small town with a great PS.  DD was at PS through the beginning of 10th when she came back home.  By this time we had youngest dd-- and she started K at our local PS as I needed to focus on oldest dd and middle dd (high anxiety and lots of other health issues).  Middle dd earned 28 credits of DE and went on to college (graduated with honors!) and is now in the UK in grad school...

Youngest dd is much younger than her sisters and thrives in our local PS. She is currently in 9th grade.

I continue to teach homeschoolers but online instead of out of my home.

Part of me misses being a homeschool mom.

• Like 1

I always thought we would homeschool. DS attended a fantastic half day preschool through our church. Tons of play, time with other kids, structure. He loved it and I did too. They did some academics but no worksheets and they were woven into the play activities. I did quite a bit of afterschooling with him. We planned to homeschool for Kindergarten.

Then he got into a brand new STEAM magnet school for Kindergarten and we decided to give it a try. He loved preschool so much, maybe he would love K. It's... OK. He doesn't love it. I hate the way public schools teach reading and have a real problem with the amount of writing that is expected. It breaks my heart that he doesn't love Kindergaten. He is doing well academically and has made some friends. He enjoys some of the extras they get to do that are not found in other public schools.

I do quite a bit of afterschooling. AAR, Singapore math, Sonlight/Bookshark books as bedtime read alouds, SOTW read aloud, lots of science books. We don't do each thing every day but I have a system in place so each get done a couple of times a week. I plan to really work on things this summer. I feel like the only thing he has truly made progress in this year is writing. I don't like the lack of communication between his teacher and me- I like a lot of details on what they are doing and working on and get almost none.

We go back and forth on homeschooling next year. High energy, only child with older, not high energy parents ;) I have no doubts about my ability to teach him, after all I am doing that now. But if we pull him to homeschool and it doesn't work out, he can't get back into his current school. The local public school is not an option and the charter school is worse with hours of homework every night, every weekend starting in K. Private school is out as we can't afford it even with financial aid.

Long winded I know. All that to say we are not homeschooling and that makes me sad. Not sure about next year but will probably try to stay at his current school another year and see if its better.

Edited by JulieA97

We've homeschooled always, but with varying resources (some of which, part of the time, people would have said we weren't homeschooling). 

Currently, I have a college student, living at home, attending the local community college full time until he can transfer to a school for Engineering; a high school sophomore, taking Geometry, Spanish, Art & Guitar at a once/week homeschool enrichment place near us, and taking Geography & Biology at home with me; and a 5th grader, taking science club & history at the same once/week place, and language arts & math at home with me. Some or all of that may change year to year. 

We did full homeschool until we moved to Brazil, and even then, until my oldest started high school. Then the laws in Brazil changed, and I felt out of my depth with sciences and things, and we used an online program (TTUISD) for the rest of our time there, for all of his high school subjects and for some of the  middle son's subjects. When we returned to the US, we found this once/week thing, and felt we needed some way to get plugged in to the local community in order to connect with other homeschoolers (or even just other teens) in the area; we've been pleased with the teachers, the students, and the mix of at home vs "at school" that it gives us. 

For my youngest, we could certainly teach those subjects at home, but he truly needs the social interaction due to some developmental delays and things; it's therapeutic for him to attend there. For my older sons, no way on earth am I teaching higher level maths and sciences, so we outsource those (exception of the Biology this year, but it's slow-going....). I still consider us homeschoolers, though. 

I think the range of response is so wide because these boards are so old.  Some of us were homeschooling when the first edition of TWTM came out and joined those original boards.  I lot can happen in, what, 15 years?  

Yes - you're probably right. I'm one of those. 

My eldest was homeschooled until grade 11. She's 21 now and finishing her third year of a degree in social work.

We stopped homeschooling the other three when we moved across the country two and a half years ago. I loved homeschooling and would have continued if there had been a vibrant homeschool community here. I do love the K-12 school the kids are in now and I'm actually enjoying the ability to pursue some of my own interests while they're in school, so it has worked out, but my favourite child-rearing years were the ones where I had all four of my kids learning at home. And TWTM and these boards helped make those years rich and wonderful.

• Like 1

I'd be an other. Like several on this board, I'm here early. I have little kids not of school age, but I'm seriously considering homeschool and I like to be prepared. We actually hope our daughter can go to an immersion charter school next year and find out in a week if she gets a spot. It's weird because, though we do few minutes of academics each day, I consider this just life with kids. Those around us always ask if we homeschool. If I say we just don't do preschool, they wonder what kind of crazy person I am, but since I am strongly considering b&m, I would feel like a fraud calling myself a homeschooler. Overthinking, I know.

We're an afterschooling family and that's how i found this forum.  We considered homeschool for DD but we switched her from PS to a private Catholic school and it's so wonderful we wouldn't consider anything else.  We plan to send DS to her same school and he's enrolled there for preschool next year. 

My kids have always been homeschooled but we've also always said that we may send them to b&m hs if that will best meet their needs/goals for college/future. Looking now, I'm leaning towards the fact that b&m won't work well for them but I'm trying to remain open to the possibility in case their needs change. 

This all changes though if we move to Dh's home state sooner rather than later. I've told Dh many times that the public schools in the areas he's considering aren't an option for me. The ones in our current county are supposedly great, but who really knows. 

I homeschool all of my children currently.

Oldest is in high school, and she is taking 1 dual enrollment class. All others are with me. She is a member of a homeschool co-op robotics team, but I am not counting it as a credit.

Middle is in middle school, solely homeschooled.

Youngest is in elementary, solely homeschooled.

All children have been homeschooled from Kindergarten; we didn't do outside-of-the-house preschool either. We have done supplementary classes through a co-op before, but we are not using co-op classes at all this year. We have never done credit classes through a co-op.

Our assigned school (K-8) is pretty bad, so I don't foresee any attending b&m school until high school at least.

Edited by beckyjo

*Currently homeschooling my 11 year old 6th grader... His first year of homeschooling after Private Preschool and Public K-5.... attends a co-op 1 afternoon a week and taking Karate and Improv (last semester he took a class called "Adventures in Liberty and Improv)

*Currently homeschooling my 15 year old 10th grader... second year of homeschooling after Public Preschool and Public K-8... attends a co-op 1 afternoon a week and takes Culinary Arts and Visual Art

*Oldest was Private schooled Preschool-1st grade, Public school 2-12 and is now in a Public University

Not any more.

:grouphug:

I had a screen name change, and have been taking a board break. It was too hard to be here. kwim.

I homeschooled from the start, but put the kids in ps this fall. Divorce.

Don't quote me please. I will probably come back and delete this post after several hours.