Menu

Cool, maybe white roofs: how would you feel about this?

Innisfree

We will need to replace our roof soon, and I am strongly tempted to go with something different from the charcoal-gray asphalt shingles which are the norm in our area.

For background, we are in a fairly ordinary brick ranch house, in a suburban, wooded neighborhood in the Mid-Atlantic. Houses around us are fairly traditional, ranging from colonial revival to ranches, built 1960s-70s. We have no HOA. We do not plan to move in the foreseeable future, and have considered this our permanent home.

Our house is in full sun. Winter temperatures are mild, but summers are scorching. We spend more on air conditioning than on heating.

I've been reading about cool roofing options.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/science/earth/30degrees.html?referer=

There are a range of possibilities, from fairly standard-looking shingles in lighter shades to metal roofing to smooth surface treatments. I need to do a lot more research, but broadly, it looks like the shingles are a bit better at reflecting heat than standard shingles (40% reflected vs 10-25%). The more unconventional roofing types are much better (60-70% + reflected).

So, how would you feel if a neighbor installed a light/white/metal/nonstandard roof? I'm not interested in causing angst or worries about resale values, but it does sound to me like something within the cool-roof range would be a sensible option. And, actually, the least conventional choices sound most sensible, though they may prove unaffordable.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

We plan to eventually get a metal roof on our cape cod, I did some casual research on this and while lighter colors are better, visually they make you roof appear larger and can overwhelm the house. I personally wouldn't want white. The metal roofs have option for cool coating/ paints. We plan to go with a medium muted shade of blue or green when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I tend to want my house to blend in with the ones around it, but that is my preference, so I'm not sure I'd do it.

However, we live in TX, and we have mid-gray shingles. We have excellent insulation (some sort of spray foam on the roof) and that keeps our attic fairly tolerable and our electric bills for the summer aren't bad. So, maybe better insulation?

And plant some trees. There are some around us, and we've planted more, but we need more and they need to be bigger. Shade helps.

• Like 2

We have a couple of houses with white roofs nearby. One of them just put on the white roof. It makes the house very visible to anyone driving on the highway and draws the driver's eye to the roof.  I'm hoping other neighbors in that area don't replace their roofs with white metal. I think it's an eyesore. They are as white and reflective as freshly fallen snow, which looks really out of place because we never get snow here. The house with the older roof has had it for several years and the reflectivity hasn't decreased.

• Like 2

We plan to eventually get a metal roof on our cape cod, I did some casual research on this and while lighter colors are better, visually they make you roof appear larger and can overwhelm the house. I personally wouldn't want white. The metal roofs have option for cool coating/ paints. We plan to go with a medium muted shade of blue or green when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the light green metal roofs I've seen. There are some nice metal tile options as well as standing seam roofs.

The house with the older roof has had it for several years and the reflectivity hasn't decreased.

Hm, the reflectivity was something that I was concerned about too, the other thing being whether the roof will start to look dirty. I guess the latter isn't much of an issue if the former is still an issue. Though I do think it likely depends on your situation. If there are a lot of leaves or dust blowing around, and not enough precipitation to just wash it off nicely, then I'd imagine you'd have to clean a white roof more to not make it look dirty. But, I don't know. I'd look into that though.

• Like 1

Hm, the reflectivity was something that I was concerned about too, the other thing being whether the roof will start to look dirty. I guess the latter isn't much of an issue if the former is still an issue. Though I do think it likely depends on your situation. If there are a lot of leaves or dust blowing around, and not enough precipitation to just wash it off nicely, then I'd imagine you'd have to clean a white roof more to not make it look dirty. But, I don't know. I'd look into that though.

Help me understand how the reflectivity is a problem, please? I can understand it maybe being a distraction by a highway. But, in a neighborhood, where trees separate the lots, while I can understand that it might not be appealing aesthetically to everyone, I'm not sure I understand what problem it would cause.

But that's exactly why I posted. I appreciate the Hive's collective wisdom!

We get plenty of rain and no dust to speak of, so I don't think dirt is likely to be an issue.

Edited by Innisfree

Help me understand how the reflectivity is a problem, please? I can understand it maybe being a distraction by a highway. But, in a neighborhood, where trees separate the lots, while I can understand that it might not be appealing aesthetically to everyone, I'm not sure I understand what problem it would cause.

Well, I didn't know that you had trees separating lots. I'm not a fan of glare coming into my window from my neighbor's house (not a white roof, something else). Obviously, I could keep a curtain or blinds closed, but sometimes you don't want to have to.

• Like 2

Well, I didn't know that you had trees separating lots. I'm not a fan of glare coming into my window from my neighbor's house (not a white roof, something else). Obviously, I could keep a curtain or blinds closed, but sometimes you don't want to have to.

Ahh, thanks. You're quite right, I didn't mention the trees between houses. I'll have to walk the neighborhood and pay attention to lines of sight, but no one directly overlooks the house except pilots and satellites. I wouldn't want to cause glare in anyone's windows.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm probably not brave enough to go with a stark white roof, and my own style preferences run more to slate and traditional metal. But the environmental benefits of widespread white roofs sound compelling, and if more people had them I'd happily choose one also. So, I feel a bit of a moral push to be the one who does what she'd like others to do, if that makes any sense.

We may end up going with the "cool roof" shingle option. My guess is that might be more generally acceptable.

Since we just replaced our roof, we know this company--anyway, they have a highly reflective roof series that's not white: http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residential/products/shingles/timberline/cool_series

I would tend to go with something like this if I had a hotter climate.

Thank you! Yes, that is the sort of thing I was thinking of.

Air conditioning bills are your consideration. IMO and I believe if you research this that you will (hopefully) find that I am correct i believe that a light color roof will lower your A/C bill.  I think White reflects the most light?  

ETA: I lived in TX for 28 years. Many people there have Black cars. Open the door of one of those during the Summer and the inside temperature is far higher than it is if you open the door of a White car.

ETA #2: We live in a Tropical Valley. Many people here have Silver cars.  Not quite White, but far from Black.  When we were browsing the aisle for MId Size cars in Orlando last April, we walked past any cars with a dark color.

I suspect roof color also impacts the inside temperature of a house.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

We have a white roof. It's not blinding white and I don't think it's really that reflective. I don't think it stands out that much. It's lighter than others but it's not like people say "Oh, you live in the house with the white roof" when they are trying to figure out which house we are (there are other things...a particular birdfeeder and a street sign at the end of our driveway that people do use to locate us so it's not like they don't notice details). Sitting here right now I can see houses with grey, black, brown and reddish shingles just from our back window. We live in a nice neighborhood but it's older so the houses aren't very "matchy" if that makes sense. Our house is also made of a lighter brick, so the white might not be as stark as if it was dark siding or brick. 

We replaced the roof when we moved in so I can't really say if it helped with our bills. We also blew insulation into the attic at the same time. Dh is an architect and has done extra green-building licensing and he felt strongly about the white roof. 

Edited by Alice
  • Like 2

I'd do solar and put something economical underneath. Concrete or asphalt shingles still work beautifully and tend to be less expensive than slate. Steel roofs aren't bad either, just insulate well underneath them. They're very cost effective for install and can keep anhoise quite cool with proper insulation underneath. And that's the thing - it's really your roof design and insulative value (r value), as well as ventilation, that keeps your home cooler, more than anything intrinsic in the roofing material.

We will need to replace our roof soon, and I am strongly tempted to go with something different from the charcoal-gray asphalt shingles which are the norm in our area.

For background, we are in a fairly ordinary brick ranch house, in a suburban, wooded neighborhood in the Mid-Atlantic. Houses around us are fairly traditional, ranging from colonial revival to ranches, built 1960s-70s. We have no HOA. We do not plan to move in the foreseeable future, and have considered this our permanent home.

Our house is in full sun. Winter temperatures are mild, but summers are scorching. We spend more on air conditioning than on heating.

I've been reading about cool roofing options.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/science/earth/30degrees.html?referer=

There are a range of possibilities, from fairly standard-looking shingles in lighter shades to metal roofing to smooth surface treatments. I need to do a lot more research, but broadly, it looks like the shingles are a bit better at reflecting heat than standard shingles (40% reflected vs 10-25%). The more unconventional roofing types are much better (60-70% + reflected).

So, how would you feel if a neighbor installed a light/white/metal/nonstandard roof? I'm not interested in causing angst or worries about resale values, but it does sound to me like something within the cool-roof range would be a sensible option. And, actually, the least conventional choices sound most sensible, though they may prove unaffordable.

Thoughts?

I love very light roofs. If it looks good with the house, it's fine.  There is an  Owen-Cornings silver shade that I really like and have used several times. 

• Like 1

My last house had a low-slope roof, so we had to use that kind of roofing that is like really thick roll-down vinyl, or a tar-based torch-down roof, the kind we were replacing.  The vinyl (I can't for the life of me remember the name of the product) had a 40 year guarantee, and we could choose everything from black to gray to tan to white.  We chose the tan as it worked well with the brickwork on our house.  Our neighbors didn't like it much -- I think they wanted us to put a shingle roof on, but that was not an option -- and I'm not sure they liked the light color.  But we did.  It really did make a difference in keeping the house cooler.  

It's the same stuff they used on the Tacoma Dome, but that roof is so enormous that they used multiple colors to break up the expanse.  Anyway, you can see what the product looks like if you look at an image of the Tacoma Dome.

We have a red colourbond roof. ( metal). We also have a large section of solar panels on top as well as a solar hot water system.

Nobody in Australia has those tar shingles that you guys have. Roofs are either tiles or metal. Fireproof is the key here, plus it is hot, and lots of rural areas collect rainwater off the roof for all domestic purposes

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

A separate aspect to consider -- if you are used to shingles, switching to a metal roof (if you select that) is *much* louder during rain or any possible hail you get. (Not sure if hail would dent it also?) It's also incredibly slippery to climb on should you need to get on the roof for some reason.

Mentioning this because my sis & her husband added on to their house. For the new section, they did metal roofing. Much louder during rain. They also tend to hang/put out a ton of Christmas lights & I think my bil about fell off the first time he tried to get up there because he wasn't used to the non-grip surface. But it would be dangerous for any reason you might need to be on the roof/access the roof.

• Like 1

A separate aspect to consider -- if you are used to shingles, switching to a metal roof (if you select that) is *much* louder during rain or any possible hail you get. (Not sure if hail would dent it also?) It's also incredibly slippery to climb on should you need to get on the roof for some reason.

Mentioning this because my sis & her husband added on to their house. For the new section, they did metal roofing. Much louder during rain. They also tend to hang/put out a ton of Christmas lights & I think my bil about fell off the first time he tried to get up there because he wasn't used to the non-grip surface. But it would be dangerous for any reason you might need to be on the roof/access the roof.

We had a metal cover over the chimney and the flickers (a kind of woodpecker) went berserk pounding on those things. It was like waking up to a jackhammer.

We put a metal roof on our home and I expected the noise to be loud when it rained hard.  It hasn't been at all.  In fact, I was disappointed that I couldn't even hear the rain.  However, we had them install the best insulation they had available and it has helped considerably with our heat costs this winter.  They do make different types of metal that aren't as slippery to walk on. 

ETA:  We chose metal due to the longevity of the product.  We've learned the hard way that shingles just do not last as long as they are promised to. 

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 2

We looked into this fairly extensively recently as we live where it is summer 9 months of the year.

The marketed "cool" roofs don't make sense financially.  We used an energy savings calculator, and it worked out to about $50-75 savings per year in increased energy efficiently.

The lighter colored tiles (almost white, light grey, etc.) resulted in about the same amount of cost savings. There is not a price surcharge for picking a lighter color.  I *do* recommend that you consider your exterior paint color, style, etc. to match aesthetics.

Metal roofs are about 3x the charge of an architectural dimensional hurricane proof shingle.  Insurance companies do not typically repair the hail damage that may occur on a metal roof, and oil canning and algae build-up can be an issue.  Some early adopters of metal roofs here have had to reseal seams. They are a great choice for a forever home, but it's a huge financial investment to pick a metal roof.

Should you choose to go the metal route, there are a variety of colors to choose from. Our HOA will not approve a galvanized roof, but a lot of our neighbors are choosing a light grey non-reflective roof.

• Like 2

solar panels are so expensive that you won't realize a savings for quite some time (which you might be ok with...just the casual suggestion doesn't seem to take that into account) 

I'd say go for the roof you want. 

Yes, ours will be fully paid back in energy savings at six years (with a state rebate). 

We are at about 3 years now. dh says that it would pay off now if we were to sell the house, bc it adds value, but we have no intentions of doing that. 

• Like 2

If you are thinking of adding solar panels, check with your city. Some cities are not allowing rooftop solar panels anymore because of their weight which pose a danger to firefighters. Some fire districts prohibit fighters from entering houses with with solar panels on the roof.

Metal roofs are becoming more common here and I like the look of them. I've never seen a white roof, but I wouldn't mind if a neighbor had a white or light-colored roof. That would be preferable to solar panels, in my opinion. Maybe there are some better looking solar options out there, but the homes around here that have panels on the roof do not look attractive.

• Like 1

White or even beige wouldn't work here. Our climate is humid from March to September, and we get a dark fungus that grows on the north side of most houses with asphalt shingles. Our previous shingles were a lightish medium brown, and the fungus started about five years in and got worse.

We have a top-notch roofer/siding/windows guy who has done tens of thousands of dollars of work for us over the years. He didn't think much of any of the fungus removal products and didn't recommend pressure washing the roof. He also said that the copper strips only work for a time here, and that even the shingles treated with anti-fungal material eventually show fungus.  So when we redid the roof last spring, we went with a slate color. 

YMMV...