Menu

Anti-breakfast people of the world unite!

Peaceseeker

Ok I just need a slight rant. I understand there are a lot of breakfast lovers in the world who wake up and need to eat almost immediately or within an hour upon waking. Many are in shock, disbelief, and have an inability to comprehend some people are just not hungry in the morning. I have never been a breakfast person. Even in grade school I didn't want to eat until 11-12 pm. As an adult I am generally not hungry til at least 1-2 pm. Why is this so incredulous?

So tired of the life long comments about it being unhealthy, bad for my metabolism, how I should just have a little peanut butter,egg, oatmeal, smoothies whatever.... I feel like the shouting the line from the International Delight commercial- I'm an adult people!

I feel like I have spent my life fighting breakfast pushers lol! Trying to eat breakfast is like force feeding myself. And I find people really treat me like a little kid about it which is hilarious. Like, just eat a little something sweetie.... um no thank you the idea of food before noon makes me want to vomit. I operate just fine for several hours without food. Slight rant over.

I know I am not the only one! Any other non-breakfast people out there?

• Like 10

I don't always eat breakfast right away, because I'm not hungry then. Sometimes I don't eat breakfast till the typical lunch time (noonish).  But I don't consider that skipping breakfast.  I'm simply delaying it beyond the traditional time.  

Breakfast = first meal of the day.  Whatever time that is.

I've found that simply changing that wording gets people off my back.  

• Like 3

I have one cup of coffee around 8:00am whether I'm up at 5:30 or closer to 8:00. I get a little hungry around 11:00 but only for something small like 1/4th cup cereal with 2 tbls of skim milk. And that satisfies me until around 1:00 when I have a small meal. I can't eat when I'm not hungry. It makes me feel sick and it doesn't make sense to force myself to eat and feel sick.

• Like 3

Waving my hand!

I'm the same way. The idea of eating food, especially heavy food, in the morning makes me ill. I usually can't stomach eating anything until at least 10:00, and at that point it has to be something light like fruit or cereal. About half of the time I skip breakfast completely.

My husband does not get it. He wakes up and eats a stack of pancakes at 6:00 every morning, or an omelette, or sausage, or.... Just ugh.

Nope. Just let me have my cup of Earl Grey. I'm good, thank you.

Breakfast is when you break your fast.

Skipping it is unhealthy if you skip breakfast to try to save calories and then binge at the vending machines or at lunchtime because you're hungry. Or if you have certain medical conditions. Otherwise, if it makes you feel happy and well, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. 

• Like 9

My dd never wants to eat breakfast and I'm always trying to get her to! I worry that she is trying to study etc with no fuel for her brain. Is this true? They always tell kids to eat a good breakfast before a test so I think she should before doing a morning's study too. Is there evidence to say this line of thinking isn't true, because if so I will stop fussing at her.

My dd never wants to eat breakfast and I'm always trying to get her to! I worry that she is trying to study etc with no fuel for her brain. Is this true? They always tell kids to eat a good breakfast before a test so I think she should before doing a morning's study too. Is there evidence to say this line of thinking isn't true, because if so I will stop fussing at her.

I don't notice a difference.  I've been like this since forever.

• Like 1

Have you noticed a difference between when she eats and when she doesn't? I'd let her do her thing for a while and see. 

If she gets hungry before lunch you could just schedule her breakfast in there if that works for your family. One of the huge benefits of home education is being able to stick meals where they make sense for your biology and not where they make sense for school scheduling. 

• Like 1

I used to be the same way.  Now, unfortunately, I have to eat pretty soon (within two hours of waking at most) or otherwise I get a migraine.  But my body still has no appetite for breakfast.  So, that's fun.

Do NOT let people convince you that it's bad for your metabolism to skip breakfast.  On the contrary, the less often you eat, the lower your insulin levels.  The lower your insulin levels, the higher your levels of growth hormone.  The higher your levels of growth hormone, the more efficient your body is at building and maintaining muscle and bone mass, and the faster it heals/repairs itself.  Eating less frequently is very good for you!!!

Edited by Greta
  • Like 5

One of my kids does not like to eat in the morning, and it does not seem to affect her performance.   Same with me.  I don't have to eat to be productive. 

My other kid needs to eat right away.  It does affect him if he delays breakfast.  But even when he was little, he would be so grumpy in the morning; we'd give him a little orange juice and the mood would change instantly.  So, we assumed it was low blood sugar.    He isn't like that anymore, but he does wake up hungry and wants his breakfast soon after getting up.

It really depends on the person, I think.  I've found with my kids it is counter-productive to try to force them to eat.  The most I do is try to have appealing things around.   My non-eater will sometimes have a few nuts and a couple spoonfuls of yogurt (plain, not sweetened).  

• Like 2

What I find odd is sometimes I do eat breakfast for whatever reason.  I'm then hungry all damn day long.  Otherwise my hunger level is normal.

I don't know what to make of that.

Insulin response?   

I don't know; I'm reading about that right now and that was my first thought.  

My parents worried too and tried to make me eat breakfast before school. I was always resentful and it made me want to gag to even get a couple of spoons of cereal down. My mother finally gave up and just sent a snack in my backpack. Which I usually didn't eat til after lunch!

My son is not a breakfast eater. I still ask him if he wants something for breakfast but when he says no I say ok. He typically eats about 3-4 hours after waking. My daughter must eat within an hour or we shall all suffer ;)

Edited by CoffeeMama11
  • Like 3

Insulin response?   

I don't know; I'm reading about that right now and that was my first thought.  

No clue.

I eat when I'm hungry (if possible).  Not starved, but sufficiently hungry.  I don't see the point in eating when I'm not hungry.  What's with the advice of stop eating when you've had enough/feel satisfied?  So if I feel satisfied, why would I force myself to eat?

Sometimes I wake up hungry.  So then I eat.  Fine and dandy. 

Sometimes I think the "common wisdom" is a bunch of made up random stuff that sounds true, but has little actual truth to it.

And then some people are completely different.  One of my kids wants to eat first thing every morning.  So he does. 

• Like 3

I haven't really noticed a difference if she eats or not, but I guess I'm just brain washed to think there must be a benefit to eating. I don't really have the chance to see if there is a difference because it takes me all morning to persuade her to eat. It's been several years since she consistently ate breakfast. Maybe she'll agree to a trial of both methods.

My son doesn't like to eat in the morning and never has, even as a toddler.  He'll have a drink first thing, usually chocolate milk (used to be Pediasure when we were worried about nutrition and weight gain) and then eat lunch around 11:30am.

I have to eat in the morning because I have to have my tea and drinking it on an empty stomach makes me nauseous.

Not evidence, but anecdotally, I've never eaten breakfast. I was a straight A, Honor roll student all through school. ;)

• Like 3

No clue.

I eat when I'm hungry (if possible). Not starved, but sufficiently hungry. I don't see the point in eating when I'm not hungry. What's with the advice of stop eating when you've had enough/feel satisfied? So if I feel satisfied, why would I force myself to eat?

Sometimes I wake up hungry. So then I eat. Fine and dandy.

Sometimes I think the "common wisdom" is a bunch of made up random stuff that sounds true, but has little actual truth to it.

And then some people are completely different. One of my kids wants to eat first thing every morning. So he does.

It's called marketing and lobbying. See: food pyramid.

• Like 5

Not the only one. We do eat breakfast but we don't eat until a couple of hours after waking. We do school first while we have hot tea or water. Then we take a break for breakfast after about 1.5 hours. But you should see the reactions when people find out we do some school before breakfast. They are horrified. Whatever! It works for us and we're not all hungry right when we get up. My husband never eats breakfast. And he's fine. I get tired of people telling me what we ought to do. Lol!

• Like 1

What I find odd is sometimes I do eat breakfast for whatever reason.  I'm then hungry all damn day long.  Otherwise my hunger level is normal.

My trainer (when I had one) at the gym told me that eating an early breakfast kicks up the metabolism early in the day and that you burn more calories because of it. He also said that it keeps one feeling hungrier than normal. I do not eat breakfast. I drink coffee and have lunch at 12:30.

• Like 1

I do not eat breakfast.  (Coffee is not breakfast.  Coffee is life.)

Recently my husband's hours at work changed, so now he gets home as I am getting up.  After a week of feeling sick to my stomach every morning from the smells of his just-off-my-shift-and-I-am-starving morning meals, I had to kindly request he wait until I had left the house before making his food.  I eat at noon, then dinner.  I don't snack generally. 

DS is often up hours before he decides he feels like eating.  I get it.

• Like 2

Ohh I found my tribe. I was so hoping this wasn't a thread against breakfast FOODS... Because I love breakfast food. I just prefer it for dinner :)

While I am pregnant or if I have been doing a lot of sports, I can usually manage to eat by 11. Most other times I am good between 12 and 2pm.

I had a teacher who was super obsessed with breakfast in 7th grade. She used to make us report what we ate and then scold if it wasn't balanced enough for her taste. I got tired of being scolded and started lying. It was super unhealthy for me emotionally. I don't know why humans torture other humans like this.

• Like 5

I would chalk it up to differences in individual metabolism.

For me, morning is my most difficult time re: glucose/insulin.  For the past three years or so, my breakfast has been bulletproof coffee, i.e., coffee whipped with unsalted Kerrygold butter.  So, I guess I have butter for breakfast.

I struggle to eat in the morning and I easily feel queasy at that time of day but now I make sure I do eat because feel less tired later on if I eat regularly. I just tend to stick to simple savoury things and usually a good hour after I've woken up. I don't really like most breakfast foods. I am a morning person though and I sometimes wonder if I just feel so energised in the morning that it overrides needing to eat. I wake up wide awake and don't naturally want to stop to eat but I do struggle more by late morning if I don't.

Edited by lailasmum

Another no-breakfast person here.  I can't stand eating when I first wake up. Just, ew.  I don't drink coffee either. :leaving:   I drink my morning soda (yes, I know, but I'm doing it anyway; I'm a grown up). I usually start feeling hungry 3 or 4 hours after I wake up.  Depending on the day, that's in time for lunch or, if it's a teaching day, I'll have some peanut butter crackers or a granola bar or something between classes.

• Like 1

You know what.. this happens to me too but I figured something out. It is NOT hunger. It is a weird type of nausea that I can't tell apart from hunger.. Like my body is convinced that if I feed it, it will go away, but the problem is that I made myself sick eating when I shouldn't have in the first place (or eating something I shouldn't have -- goes with my type 4 allergies & immune response). How many years did it take me to sort that out? Like my whole life. But I finally found other people who had the same experience so I know I am not crazy..

Not that I would assume that is your problem. But the cute idea that eating breakfast when you are not hungry early in the morning kicks up your metabolism.. uhm no.. not my experience :)

• Like 2

My mom gave up early. lol  Maybe around 5th-6th grade and just handed me a granola bar as I walked out the door to school.(Ate it daily on the way home from school.)  I was an all A student.

I hate eating early.  I will eat a brunch socially around 10-11am if I'm with a group.  Otherwise, I eat for the first time around 1:00.  And dinner at 7. I rarely snack.

My kids want breakfast around 9:00.  They also eat when they're bored.lol  We are working on that.  I'm trying to teach them to LISTEN to their bodies and eat when they are hungry  NOT when they *think* they should be.

I have battled the people who tell me I will overeat to compensate, my metabolism will suffer, my mind will not be at its optimal. its sooooo unhealthy....,.  Don't believe it.

• Like 3

The only time I eat in the morning, is if I didn't eat the night before OR if I make homemade muffins in the morning.  Otherwise, I have coffee and eat around noon.  Like others have said, if i eat in the morning, I stay hungry all day. 

DD18 is the same way.  Even as a baby she didn't really nurse in the morning.  A few sips to quench her thirst and she was off and going for a good couple of hours.  I wanted her to nurse, because I would have to express off the excess or I would leak all morning. As a teen, I give her half a cup of chocolate milk to take her meds with.  I send her with a snack to eat at school in case she gets hungry before her lunch time. 

• Like 1

(Coffee is not breakfast.  Coffee is life.)

This made me have a flashback to those old Folgers commercials (I'm sure I'm showing my age here) with the jingle, "the best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup."  I think I was a young teen around that time, and I remember thinking how completely pathetic it would be if your coffee was the best thing about your day.

Well.  Um.  Yeah.  Now I get it.

• Like 3

The latest dieting craze is intermittent fasting where you fast for 16 hours each day usually skipping breakfast. I've been doing this for 5 months and lost 34 pounds. I just drink a cup of coffee--black, no sugar--in the morning which holds me to 12 pm when I eat 10 macadamia nuts and 1 scoop of whey protein mixed with water (about 350 calories.) And then another scoop of whey protein at 4 pm until dinner at 7 pm. No eating between 8 pm and 12 pm the next day (16 hours fast.)

I'm sorry, but I don't think you can completely chalk your weight loss upti skipping breakfast. You have created a severe caloric deficit. You're pretty much only eating dinner. Dieting fads don't usually work long term. Most of us would have great difficulty sustaining your eating habits. Not that you asked for my opinion, so moving on.

I eat breakfast when I'm hungry, which is rare. Otherwise it makes me feel ill.

• Like 1