Menu

Period. Does 12-14 days on, 14-15 days off sound acceptable even if I'm 45?

6packofun

I just want to know if there is something I can do or if this is just life.  Seriously.  I've had at least 6 months of periods on for almost 2 weeks and then off for slightly longer than 2 weeks.  It SUCKS.  Progesterone cream?  I've tried the ibuprofen thing and it helps a very little bit with the heavy days, but it just lasts so long!  It also sort of tapers off after about 8-9 days and then gets heavier than spotting for a couple days before tapering off again.  What. is. this. weirdness.

Doctor or no?  I feel like I need a "reset" or something!

I am also 45 and, though that is a bit more extreme than my scenario, I don't find it shocking. Mine are around 10 days on and 3 weeks off; also, that third week is a bear of symptoms and I *know* it's announcing any day now. Also, I'm faucet-level amounts for two days and then it is almost like spotting for the rest.

One thing that seemed to help all annoying aspects was Complete Omega by Nordic Naturals. It helps.

This has just started happening to me, except mine is 3 weeks on with heavy, heavy flow every day.  I think I got 2 weeks off and then it happened again!    The first time it happened I did a little research online and it seemed like it wasn't uncommon for women going through menopause.  Almost every one of them said that calling to doctors did no good. But, now that this is the 2nd round in a row I'm calling the doctor this week to see if anything can be done.

I'm 53 and on a HRT patch.  I have had a history of heavy flows but nothing like this.  I was starting to go about 3months between periods too and that was wonderful.  The doctor gave me Lysteta and the first two cycles, that I had problems, it was like a wonder drug. It stopped those periods in their tracks.  But I've taken it these last two times and hasn't done anything, and of course, it's much much worse and happening longer.  It's like my body is all messed up. 

What seems to help is taking ibuprofen and Black Cohosh.  I take 2 black cohosh 3-4x per day and it does seem to stem the flow, but if I forget, then it's back to changing every hour.

• Like 1

Not to be gross, but what do you consider your "period"? If I lump in the week of spotting I have before the "event", I also have about two weeks on, two weeks off. Like Quill, once it hits, I have a couple heavy days and then more spotting for the rest. I am 43.  I assume my hormones are wonky. I can say I have been like this for the past three or four years, even while on the pill (yes still spotted on the pill). I have never taken anything. It's annoying though!

• Like 1

Not to be gross, but what do you consider your "period"? If I lump in the week of spotting I have before the "event", I also have about two weeks on, two weeks off. Like Quill, once it hits, I have a couple heavy days and then more spotting for the rest. I am 43.  I assume my hormones are wonky. I can say I have been like this for the past three or four years, even while on the pill (yes still spotted on the pill). I have never taken anything. It's annoying though!

Not gross, good question.  I'd say that I have about 6-7 days of definitely period--bleeding, clots, needing pads (thick ones for at least 2 of the days) and not a panty liner--and the rest of the days are spotting of varying degrees, except for that sort of restart that lasts a day or two and is more like light period before tapering off again.  Honestly, other than cramping on my heavy days, which I've never had in my life until my 40s, I can't complain about any symptoms at all so it's good to hear other women share.  (We've talked about this in other threads but I think I'm so annoyed by it that I almost WANT there to be a medical fix, you know?  lol)  

• Like 1

Hmm. That seems excessive, and after my recent experience, I think I'd go to the doctor. I'm 42 and mine were getting heavier and heavier and closer together every month, with some skipped months in between. Long story short, even though most people I talked to said the standard advice is that all bets are off after 40, I went to my GYN, who tested my thyroid numbers (among other things). Turns out that my thyroid numbers were off. I started meds a couple of months ago and have had three completely normal periods--27-29 days apart, no terrible cramping, 1 day spotting, 2 heavyish days, 2 light days, done--since then. It's been such a relief. 

So if that's an option, maybe it's worth getting checked out? 

• Like 1

Sounds like what I've been going through.  Doctor blew me off when I mentioned it.

I've got some other issues so it's just not high on the list of things to deal with.  To me if it's making you miserable you should ask about it.  No clue what or if they can do anything, but maybe they can.  I know there is some scrapy burny thing they can do down there that is low risk that reduces flow significantly.

Did you take this every day or just on symptomatic days?

Every day, though I fell off the wagon for a month and it made a difference back the other way. That's why I do think it helps if I stay on it.

• Like 1

Sounds like what I've been going through. Doctor blew me off when I mentioned it.

I've got some other issues so it's just not high on the list of things to deal with. To me if it's making you miserable you should ask about it. No clue what or if they can do anything, but maybe they can. I know there is some scrapy burny thing they can do down there that is low risk that reduces flow significantly.

My SIL had the ablation. She is a fan. Her DH told me about the video monitor that showed first her pink, healthy-looking uterus, and then afterwards, the blackened, scarred uterus. It would be better had I not heard that description. I don't want a charred uterus. That just seems...mean, after all that organ has done for me.

• Like 6

That's how mine were, the last 2 or three years before menopause. They went out with a huge bang.

However, having a check up to rule out bleeding cysts sounds worthwhile.

I kept a journal the last 2 years, with detailed info-- very light bleeding, spotting, horrendous insane amounts, etc. I felt like the doctor would take me more seriously. He didn't, just said "sorry! I can do a hysterectomy if it would make you happier."

I do this, too, the journaling. I have not taken it to a doctor, but that was some of my thinking when I started journaling. It would also give me something to look back on the say it really is this long or this short between again. Hard facts.

• Like 1

My SIL had the ablation. She is a fan. Her DH told me about the video monitor that showed first her pink, healthy-looking uterus, and then afterwards, the blackened, scarred uterus. It would be better had I not heard that description. I don't want a charred uterus. That just seems...mean, after all that organ has done for me.

I'd do it, but I'm too cheap quite frankly. 

• Like 2

My colleague who was dealing with similar issues resisted her doctor's suggestion for a couple of years then finally had a Mirena fitted.  She feels foolish that she didn't do it earlier.  It doesn't work for everyone but for her (and me) it lead to no periods, no pain, no side effects.

• Like 1

One thing that seemed to help all annoying aspects was Complete Omega by Nordic Naturals. It helps.

Though anyone who wants to try this for heavy periods should probably be cautious and run it by their doctor first- fish oil is a blood thinner and could potentially make the bleeding worse.

Edited by Mergath
  • Like 2

My colleague who was dealing with similar issues resisted her doctor's suggestion for a couple of years then finally had a Mirena fitted.  She feels foolish that she didn't do it earlier.  It doesn't work for everyone but for her (and me) it lead to no periods, no pain, no side effects.

This is hormonal birth control right?

Though anyone who wants to try this for heavy periods should probably be cautious and run it by their doctor first- fish oil is a blood thinner and could potentially make the bleeding worse.

Huh...never knew that.

My doctors all kind of crap on these ideas.  Like don't waste your time with this nonsense.  Not saying I agree with them, but just saying that is the attitude I get when I ask.

• Like 1

this, exactly.  If I knew it would all be over with in a few months I can wait it out.  The problem is there's just no knowing.  I'm 53 for goodness sakes.  Stop it already!

Yeah there is no knowing.  That's the thing.  I'm 42, but all the women in my family have been done early (in their 30s).  So I'm like a granny in that department.  I just don't want to spend $800 to do it and then have this all be over in a year. 

• Like 2

This is hormonal birth control right?

Yes, but the hormones are localised in the uterus and stop the womb lining from developing, so you get little or no bleeding.  I've had no problems with serious weight gain, skin break out, etc., as I did when using the Pill.  I've had a Mirena for sixteen years - the last one has officially expired but I haven't had it removed yet.

Yes, but the hormones are localised in the uterus and stop the womb lining from developing, so you get little or no bleeding.  I've had no problems with serious weight gain, skin break out, etc., as I did when using the Pill.  I've had a Mirena for sixteen years - the last one has officially expired but I haven't had it removed yet.

I took the shot (Depo) and it made me severely depressed.  Pills do as well.  That's why I'm too afraid to try it.  But it's great because I don't get periods at all. 

I never had any other issues.  Depression is too serious of a side effect to me though.

• Like 2

Huh...never knew that.

My doctors all kind of crap on these ideas. Like don't waste your time with this nonsense. Not saying I agree with them, but just saying that is the attitude I get when I ask.

Yes, I have encountered that attitude before. It leads me (and probably a lot of other people to just try the alt med thing for a few months and see what happens. For myself, it did not make bleeding worse. By coincidence or by design, my flow improved on the Omegas, along with disordered-level mood swings and intense reluctance to leave the house. Just seems like the Omegas was an all around perimenopause magic bullet.

• Like 1

Yes, I have encountered that attitude before. It leads me (and probably a lot of other people to just try the alt med thing for a few months and see what happens. For myself, it did not make bleeding worse. By coincidence or by design, my flow improved on the Omegas, along with disordered-level mood swings and intense reluctance to leave the house. Just seems like the Omegas was an all around perimenopause magic bullet.

Oh yeah I'm totally willing to try stuff in my own. 

I barely want to go there in the first place ya know...LOL

Even now...I broke down and went.  You know what it got me?  Nothing good.  Bills...that's it.  No answers.  No reduction in pain.  More poking and prodding.  Grumble....

• Like 1

I had that for a couple of months. But what made it worse was that I had a constant yeast infection as well. That was lots of fun! The one thing I have discovered about peri-menopause is there is no "normal" and nothing lasts terribly long. Your body is in complete hormonal wackiness. It's a nightmare.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

I had that for a couple of months. But what made it worse was that I had a constant yeast infection as well. That was lots of fun! The one thing I have discovered about peri-menopause is there is no "normal" and nothing lasts terribly long. Your body is in complete hormonal wackiness. It's a nightmare.

That's exactly how I describe it.  My body has gone haywire.

• Like 1

I'd talk to your dr to make sure it's normal for you. It can lead to anemia.

I'm taking an iron supplement because I was anemic according to my most recent bloodwork.  I think I'll go see the OB/GYN rather than my regular family med. doctor for this just to be sure.  Thanks everyone!

• Like 3

Mine is the exact same way. I'm 38. Went to the doc a bunch of times for this- they don't seem concerned and only offer Mirena or an ablation.

I had the same experience. Mirena or ablation. Mirena was terrible for me, and I was horrified at the idea of scarring the uterus to prevent further periods (that's one way our bodies detoxify).

That's what lead me to acupuncture which helped my cycle issues in many ways!!

• Like 2

Not gross, good question. I'd say that I have about 6-7 days of definitely period--bleeding, clots, needing pads (thick ones for at least 2 of the days) and not a panty liner--and the rest of the days are spotting of varying degrees, except for that sort of restart that lasts a day or two and is more like light period before tapering off again. Honestly, other than cramping on my heavy days, which I've never had in my life until my 40s, I can't complain about any symptoms at all so it's good to hear other women share. (We've talked about this in other threads but I think I'm so annoyed by it that I almost WANT there to be a medical fix, you know? lol)

I track my cycles with 'clue' and that app does not count spotting as part of your period.

In that case you have cycle about 28 days with a 6-7 days period.

Sounds not bad to me :)

Using Ibuprofen will work against the clots and the heavily flowing I discovered recently.

It could be normal symptoms, but you should go to the doctor.  It could also be a symptom of something benign (cysts) or something rare but very serious (endometrial cancer).  Whatever it is, you should be screened, and while you're in you may as well go on the pill and stop the bleeding altogether if you're done having kids.

• Like 1

I've shared here before about my periods. Sometime after the birth of my 4th or 5th kid my periods became more like pyroclastic flow - thick, heavy, and lasting a long time. I was in my late 30s/early 40s at the time. I had to use the heaviest, thickest pad available on the market along with Depends, especially when I was at work. My periods (defined as active bleeding, not spotting) would last 7-10 days. And I changed pads every hour.

After the birth of my sixth child in my early 40s my periods changed again to very, very heavy with lots of huge clots lasting 5-6 days. I still wore the heaviest pads with Depends and had to change pads every 60-90 minutes.

I'm now in my mid-40s (just turned 45, actually) and *still* have very heavy, clotty periods which last 5-6 days. <sigh> I've perfected the thick pad/adult diaper combo. <woot. yea me.> However, the pyroclastic flow has diminished to a faucet-turned-up-all-the-way flow which doesn't last quite as long. It's still super annoying, especially when I'm at work. Nothing beats having to effect a quick pad/diaper change at stupid-thirty in the morning before going on a 911 call. And then having one's male partner ask what took so long.

My mom & grandmother both had hysterectomies in their mid-30s; so, I have no idea what's normal in my family. The Ibuprofen trick works somewhat. But I think it's losing its effectiveness. All my labs over this time frame have been well within lab normal ranges, not even on the low normal side.

So, I have nothing but empathy for you. My childbearing days are over and I'm beyond ready for the faucet to turn off.

• Like 1

I track my cycles with 'clue' and that app does not count spotting as part of your period.

In that case you have cycle about 28 days with a 6-7 days period.

Sounds not bad to me :)

Using Ibuprofen will work against the clots and the heavily flowing I discovered recently.

OK, so a follow-up question!  For those women who have at least a full week's worth of spotting (mine is enough to need to change a panty liner up to 6 times a day or as low as only needing 2 or 3), are you having sex?  This isn't a huge issue for me, but I'm curious if women just don't have sex for 2 weeks!  LOL  (Obviously you don't have to answer if it's too personal.)

This is probably gross but I wish we all could compare pictures of what we think spotting looks like vs. a "real" period day.  LOL!!!  I know, I'm weird!  :P  Thanks for this conversation, ladies!

OK, so a follow-up question!  For those women who have at least a full week's worth of spotting (mine is enough to need to change a panty liner up to 6 times a day or as low as only needing 2 or 3), are you having sex?  This isn't a huge issue for me, but I'm curious if women just don't have sex for 2 weeks!  LOL  (Obviously you don't have to answer if it's too personal.)

This is probably gross but I wish we all could compare pictures of what we think spotting looks like vs. a "real" period day.  LOL!!!  I know, I'm weird!   :p  Thanks for this conversation, ladies!

Uh, I tell DH I'm still spotting, and if he's not up to the shower afterwards we just cuddle, otherwise he jumps in for a 2-minute shower afterwards.  This is for both spotting and period, but on particularly heavy days I say no, unless you want to get in the shower for sex.  Usually we find the gymnastics involved in that too exhausting to be worth it, and abstain those days.

OK, so a follow-up question! For those women who have at least a full week's worth of spotting (mine is enough to need to change a panty liner up to 6 times a day or as low as only needing 2 or 3), are you having sex? This isn't a huge issue for me, but I'm curious if women just don't have sex for 2 weeks! LOL (Obviously you don't have to answer if it's too personal.)

This is probably gross but I wish we all could compare pictures of what we think spotting looks like vs. a "real" period day. LOL!!! I know, I'm weird! :P Thanks for this conversation, ladies!

Everything I can handle with a pantyliner is part of 'spotting' in my case.

Bleeding is always related to night pads and super night pads.

I have nothing 'in between'.

I have long cycles so long spotting + long period is still less then the half of my current cycle...

• Like 1

i'm 47 and my cycle is still 26 days I have one heavy day then tappers off no more than 3 days  max and regular.  I use progesterone cream starting on my 20 th day that keeps me from spotting or starting to early.  It also slows the flow/cramp and all the pms stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Emerita-Pro-gest-Cream-Tube-Packaging/dp/B000IMQE5U

this book is wonderful I read it round age 42 when I started getting the crazy period problems.   I'm been 5 years just eating right, working out and using the progesterone cream for 7 days each month.  I also found the calcium  got rid of the night sweats for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Hormone-Survival-Guide-Perimenopause-Naturally/dp/0974206709

• Like 2

perimenopause is not for the faint of heart for sure.  Mine started around 42 and ended around 51.  I tried all the natural herbs, diets, exercises, meditation, etc.  Some would work for a while, some would make things worse, some wouldn't do anything.  I did labs (blood and saliva) to find out what was going on.  In my case, I was estrogen "light" and progesterone "heavy".  Not what you tend to read about in most publications.  So, my ratios as well as my levels were not what they should be for optimum health.  Don't forget about testosterone's contribution too.

Do you have a gyn or family or functional medicine doc who would run some labs and offer some ideas?  You have options of things that could help.  You just need to find out what direction to go and decide what you want to do or not do.

perimenopause is not for the faint of heart for sure.  Mine started around 42 and ended around 51.  I tried all the natural herbs, diets, exercises, meditation, etc.  Some would work for a while, some would make things worse, some wouldn't do anything.  I did labs (blood and saliva) to find out what was going on.  In my case, I was estrogen "light" and progesterone "heavy".  Not what you tend to read about in most publications.  So, my ratios as well as my levels were not what they should be for optimum health.  Don't forget about testosterone's contribution too.

Do you have a gyn or family or functional medicine doc who would run some labs and offer some ideas?  You have options of things that could help.  You just need to find out what direction to go and decide what you want to do or not do.

That's not really what I wanted to hear.  LOL

I was kinda hoping this craziness would end soon. 

• Like 1

Is there a reason those with heavier bleeding & constant flow just don't have a hysterectomy? if I had problems, I sure would. Life is to short to deal with flow that often. I'm thankful that I've not had issues. I know my mom had a hysterectomy at ~63.

major surgery comes to mind...which is major recovery....major amounts of money....instantly puts you in menopause with all the fun things that go along with that 

They used to perform hysterectomies at the drop of a hat.  Seems they don't rush to that as easily these days.

• Like 2

Is there a reason those with heavier bleeding & constant flow just don't have a hysterectomy? if I had problems, I sure would. Life is to short to deal with flow that often. I'm thankful that I've not had issues. I know my mom had a hysterectomy at ~63.

Instant menopause, family history of osteoporosis, concern about other side effects (some women experience nerve issues and sexual dysfunction).