Menu

Hidden Figures

creekland

Just watched Hidden Figures today at the theater and now adding a PSA that if I were still homeschooling, this would be a MUST SEE movie for my kids (probably upper elementary on to college).

So many have no idea about so much of that history (from the space race to racial relations and attitudes) and this movie does a super (and clean) job of showcasing it well.  Other strong family and individual elements are also shown (based upon true stories - not fictional).  

I have actually already texted my two college boys to put it on their "must watch" list.

Again, just a PSA.

(Otherwise, I'm still being social with my mom for a bit... so will try to catch up on other threads a little later - I'm not ignoring anyone.  I just thought this was worth posting in case anyone is taking a day off tomorrow and wants a nice film to watch for the Holiday - or just in general - it need not be associated with the Holiday.  We watched it because I wanted to know more of the untold story of the Hidden Figures...)

• Like 24

It was such a good movie! Fantastic acting, and they did an amazing job showing the realities of Jim Crow. It was really eye-opening for my DD to see it on the big screen even though we have talked about it often. I found it really powerful for that reason as well.

• Like 3

I took both the kids (6 and 17) to see it. Even the youngest enjoyed it quite a bit.  There are not many PG movies that draw them both in.

There were a few things that struck me, though, and it was the kids' reactions to what they saw on screen.  They have both been raised in a community where anyone can do anything.  Our last commander was an unmarried woman.  Their community role models have been strong PEOPLE, from a variety of backgrounds and quite a few crossing cultural lines by being bi- and tri-lingual.  So for them, to see such a different world in our country, it was eye opening.  The oldest couldn't figure out why women weren't getting the credit due, and the youngest couldn't figure out why if she needed to use the bathroom, she walked by at least one instead of going in.

It did bring up lots of good conversations at home and how gender/racial/<insert other> bias is still kicking in the workplace.  The oldest was stunned to realize a woman couldn't get a credit card until the 1970's, among a long list of other things.  It will be interesting to see how this generation plays out as they get older.  I doubt they will have the same hang ups older generations had.

Though I think the most thought provoking argument came from the 6yo.  He has watched Jim Parsons every week.  He was upset that in the movie, the character is reminiscent of Sheldon, but illogical in his thought process.  It did not make sense to him to treat a woman poorly because of race or gender.  Sheldon would not.  Sheldon would treat her poorly because he is smarter. :lol: But he would respect her ability in mathematics.  It was an important distinction to my kid.

But yeah, I'm going back to see it alone so I don't have to whisper and miss part of the movie dealing with the little one. I think I'll follow it up with the Astronaut Wives Club book as a good comparison view of the event.

• Like 3

I was super impressed with how they managed to make a movie that both felt honest about racism while still being appropriate for younger viewers. I think it did a good job of conveying how the "quieter, more polite racism" can be insidious. And it's easier to see how that continues in different ways today sometimes.

The kids and I really enjoyed it. For anyone curious, it really is totally fine for any kid once they have the attention span for it. The scariest moments are probably that one family watches a news report about a bus bombing and that another family passes a protest and you see that the police have angry dogs, but not what happens next. There are a lot of tense moments around the astronauts, like Glenn's landing, but it's slightly removed from the main characters (and pretty well-established in the history if you do any prep).

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 5

It was remarkable. My spouse and I saw it as a date day movie, but I'm taking my son, daughter, and grandkids back to see it because they just need to see it. It's required viewing for anyone who wants to live in this house. Or anyone who wants to come over and eat delicious food in this house. That covers all of my immediate family, LOL.

• Like 10

Love love love it. I read on mighty girls that a 13 year old girl saw the movie and was so moved, she started a go find me to take as many girls as possible to see it. So far she has surpassed her goal and is taking hundreds of kids to see it later in the month. My kids all love it.

• Like 3

Thanks for the reminder about the movie creekland. Dh and I had wanted to see it, but good to see that a number of posters took kids around the ages of my kids to see it.  I had to adjust some of our plans for January and this would fit in well with the new plans. I'm thinking maybe I can get dh to clear his Friday morning schedule so we can go see it later this week.

• Like 1

Just a heads up for some of you. The first theatre we went to was sold out. We got tickets at the second theatre - in the front row. It's very popular here.

Yes, I guess it wasn't expected to be this popular .... (but yay that it is popular!). Our local theater has been playing it for several weeks, but in a 45-seat room (!), so people are getting turned away. Hopefully the theater will wise up soon and move it to a larger room. The movie's popularity may mean that our wonderful local indie cinema (with comfy chairs and real food) won't get it, though :) but that's a good problem to have.

• Like 2

When you spend too much time on an American website, and you make plans with family to go see Hidden Figures, because 'everyone says it's really good' and then you realise it's not out here yet :(

I saw the posters when my brother and I went to the art house cinema the other week! I'm glad to hear from everyone that it is suitable for younger viewers. I wanted to take dd.

Shall we go? I'll meet you half way. Is there a cinema in Cootamundra?  :biggrinjester:

Yes, I guess it wasn't expected to be this popular .... (but yay that it is popular!). Our local theater has been playing it for several weeks, but in a 45-seat room (!), so people are getting turned away. Hopefully the theater will wise up soon and move it to a larger room. The movie's popularity may mean that our wonderful local indie cinema (with comfy chairs and real food) won't get it, though :) but that's a good problem to have.

Several weeks?  I thought it was just released (limited) on Jan 6th.  I'm jealous if you had it longer.  It literally just opened here near my mom (if you count 45 minutes drive "close") this past Friday.  We wanted to see it with our boys when they were home over Christmas, but couldn't because they left on Jan 2nd and 5th.

I'm glad we got to watch it with my mom though - she needed a nice time out today.

When you spend too much time on an American website, and you make plans with family to go see Hidden Figures, because 'everyone says it's really good' and then you realise it's not out here yet :(

Sorry... it was definitely worth the drive for us.  If it had been next door in Canada that would have been quite a bit closer for us, but it's not there yet either.  It might be farther away in Canada - it's just not near my mom.  She lives right on the border - well, a river away from it, but there's a bridge...

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1

My 11 year old really, really wants to see this. I do too. I figured it would be inappropriate (or at least boring) for the kindergartener, but now that I know at least one other person has taken a 6 year old, I may change my mind and take both of them tomorrow.

• Like 2

DH and I saw it tonight. It's fabulous! Truly. 

ETA: Another good book, according to my dh, is The Glass Universe. It is about the women who worked at the Harvard Observatory. I tried to read it and it bored me to tears, it was a bit too technical at the start for me. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

My 11 year old really, really wants to see this. I do too. I figured it would be inappropriate (or at least boring) for the kindergartener, but now that I know at least one other person has taken a 6 year old, I may change my mind and take both of them tomorrow.

We took our four year old. Granted, if I had anyone who could have watched him, he wouldn't have gotten to go, but DH and I both wanted to see it with the big kids, so we dragged him along too and bought him a ton of snacks.

My 7 year old was actually engaged and came out talking about unfairness.

• Like 1

Several weeks? I thought it was just released (limited) on Jan 6th. I'm jealous if you had it longer. It literally just opened here near my mom (if you count 45 minutes drive "close") this past Friday. We wanted to see it with our boys when they were home over Christmas, but couldn't because they left on Jan 2nd and 5th.

It was open in select cities in late December. I know that here is was open by Christmas Eve because we considered going then. They probably did that to preserve Academy Award eligibility without having to go toe to toe with Rogue One and other big December releases.

We haven't been able to see it yet but I am hoping to take them this week. We've all had the crud and today was the first day we were able to venture out for things other than tissues, chicken soup fixings and pharmaceuticals. 😂 And we had Finding Neverland musical tickets tonight that I bought months ago so that preempted a movie.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

We were talking after the movie (ds is 19yo), and one of the first things I noted was that it was appropriate for all ages.  I think that is so important.  Large parts of the reality of the era are too intense on the big screen for kids, so some of the younger generation never sees any of these important films.  

To its credit, it doesn't whitewash...there are references on the news and in other small scenes of the dark reality.  If you know the era, they hit you in the gut, but just flash past the kids.  I thought the actors (some of my favorites!) were excellent at giving glimpses of the deep pain and fear that the regular people must have felt at the time while going on with their daily lives.  These women had kids, too, so they were at the same time trying to protect them from and teach them about the reality of their world.

We went on a Sunday morning, so only about 40 in the theater, but that didn't stop everyone from breaking out in applause in a couple of scenes.  I love films with that kind of energy.

• Like 2