Menu

If you have a dog, where did you get it?

mommyoffive

We have been looking for a dog and are having a bit of trouble trying to find one. 

Where did you get one? 

I would like a lab.   I think I should get a puppy so the kids can get used to something smaller before it grows up to a 50-100 lb animal. 

I have tried CL and it seems like everything is a scam.   We will transport the dog .....  People posting from 1000 miles away.  Crazy stories

The shelters.  I would love to do that, but the puppies go super fast.  The older dogs we have looked at and haven't found one that had a good reaction to the kids.

Breeders?  I don't know much about this.

• Like 1

First one was from a paper called The Recycler.  It was much like CL but before online was as big.

Second one was from Craigslist.

Third one was from an online Mom's group.  A mom couldn't keep her.  She was 9 months old and the minute she saw my boys she literally walked out to our car and stood there waiting to be let in.  she was meant to be with us.

• Like 1

Our current dog came from a breeder. Past dogs -- one from a breeder, several from rescues, three were strays who stayed.

If your sole reason for wanting a puppy is the theory that your kids will adapt better to a smaller creature -- I'd urge you to give that a LOT more thought. An energetic, mouthy puppy is often much more disruptive than a fully grown dog who has calmed down a bit.

• Like 9

From a breeder. And finding a breeder was hard--no local advertisements and searching for a breed online would bring up web pages of people who may sometimes breed their dogs but wouldn't have any puppies that year. What finally worked was finding out where all of the breeders advertised online--the classified of the big city paper for our state. There were 32 pages of ads to look at and we were able to find the breed we wanted and a breeder whose approach we are comfortable with (ie not a backyard breeder trying to maximize profit).

Our shelter tends to not have puppies and when we've gone in for visits we see mostly pitbull mixes and chihuahuas--not what we were looking for.

Our current dog came from a breeder. Past dogs -- one from a breeder, several from rescues, three were strays who stayed.

If your sole reason for wanting a puppy is the theory that your kids will adapt better to a smaller creature -- I'd urge you to give that a LOT more thought. An energetic, mouthy puppy is often much more disruptive than a fully grown dog who has calmed down a bit.

Thank you.  We are for sure open to an older dog too.  The ones we have found didn't react well to the kids.   

• Like 1

Current dogs:

Dog 1- mutt- SPCA

Dog 2- Doberman- show breeder and paid through the nose because of all of the genetic tests etc to ensure heart issues etc. weren't carried. Also breeder took care of ear cropping and dew claws, etc which I didn't want to deal with finding right vet for.

Dog 3- mutt- online ad on dh's favorite hunting site. Offshore worker found him on side of major freeway. Nursed him back to health but couldn't keep him do to work so was looking for a new home for him. He followed up with us for months to make sure the puppy was doing well. It was very sweet. We took him at about 8 weeks and took over with vet care. So basically a non traditional rescue situation. :)

Previous dogs for dh and I both were almost all roadside resucues as puppies/young dogs with only one or two exceptions.

ETA- with dog 1 we went to many rescues and dog pounds. She was just the one. She was everything they tell you not to get- fearful and shut down around people- but we are experienced dogs owners and knew she was the one. She's been an absolute joy. She's not keen on strangers to this day but she's amazing for us and our kids and is an excellent watch dog.

Edited by texasmom33

Our local pet stores do adoption drives and where we found our first guy. Our second we found via a small dogs and puppies rescue run by 2 ladies. We were not looking specifically for a younger pup but we fell in love with him when we saw how scruffy he was. He was definitely lots more work than our first but is much better now (turning 1 soon).

I found ours posted in a pets page on Facebook. It's a statewide pet group with people selling, giving away, and asking questions about pets. He was a four month old lab mix (now six months) and a great puppy. He does nip when he's playing, but he is 95% potty trained and fully crate trained. His previous owners must have worked with him a lot.

Oldest dog is from a shelter, got her at 6 weeks old. (lab/shepherd/pit mix)

Second dog was found on the side of the road, also about 6 weeks old, and was unconscious. I was working at an animal clinic and on duty when he was brought in, and ended up keeping him when we couldn't find an owner. (purebred border collie)

Current puppy I put the word out to former coworkers (at the vet clinic) and rescue groups that I was looking. Coworker that does foster for a private rescue contacted me about this dog as she thought it would be a good fit. It was. He was 12 weeks.

Petfinder is where most private rescues list their puppies. I'd go that route if I didn't know someone. Or, if you have at least 1K to spend, then go with a private breeder who does health checks for hips/elbows at least (on the parents, not the puppies) and make sure you can meet the parents. But here at least the rescues get a lot of lab or lab mix puppies. 

But here at least the rescues get a lot of lab or lab mix puppies.

Here it's mostly pits, but ours is a chihuahua. Apparently, there is a program that airlifts chihuahuas from California, where they are oversaturated, and brings them to the East Coast to be adopted, so every time we went in they were full up on itty bitty dogs.

All from ethical breeders who I researched in advance and then confirmed they did breed appropriate medical screenings (with excellent scores), looked at the lineage of sire and dam, discussed temperament generally (plus the sort of individual puppy personality I was seeking, which was tested by both the breeder and  I  prior to finalizing.

Making sure the breeder is a member in good standing with the local and national branches of the breed club is generally a good idea as they have codes of ethics take seek to maximize good breeding practices.

With Labs (in particular) there are some very divergent lines.

One is the (wrongly named) "English Labs" who are very blocky, short legged (low to the ground), and who tend towards obesity and are lower energy. These are popular in the show ring, and with many owners who like couch potatoes (instead of the natural athletes labs should be). It would be an over generalization to say all English labs are unfit to serve the purpose of the breed (retrievers) but IMO this type is moving in the wrong direction with many true obese dogs being rewarded in the show ring to the detriment of working abilities.

One the other extreme a "field labs" who (while bulkier than many other bird dogs) can—if regularly exercised and not over-fed—retain the athletic bodies and stamina that exemplify working bird dogs. These Labs are physically balanced and keen.

In between are so-called American labs. Often carelessly bred by irresponsible backyard breeders and come to "market" via Craigslist and shelters. They look somewhat more like field lines than "English" labs, but tend (like the English) to suffer from obesity, bad hips, and CCL tears.

It would take serious (but worthwhile) effort to find a line of dogs and a breeder who has maintained the highest standards of Labrador Retrievers. it is a bred under threat on both sides. From irresponsible back-yard breeding and from AKC confirmation show types who are pushing Labs into a morbid obesity that ought to be shocking to people of good will.

Field line Labs exist. And remain the only hope of rescuing the breed from some very bad human mistakes.

Rant over.

Bill

• Like 3

Rescues/shelters. All our dogs (many of them over the years, all discarded pit bulls/bully breeds, mostly pulled from high-kill shelters) have come to us this way. If you are willing to wait--and to find a good fit, you really have to have some patience (and maybe a bit of luck that you're in the right place at the right time). I would try to find a rescue who will work with you to help you find the perfect fit as far as breed, size, temperament, etc. that is right for *your* family. It's a process, but a good rescue wants to make a good (permanent) match. Equally as important as finding the right dog is supervising your kids and teaching them which behaviors are not appropriate toward dogs.

Puppies are wonderful, but if you're not experienced raising puppies, you might be in for a surprise. They are (usually; exceptions happen) a LOT of work. I've got a rescue pit bull puppy now and, while I've done this a bunch and love this dog very much, I had forgotten how much work a dang puppy is. The potty training! The chewing! The ENERGY. Have y'all seen that youtube video that went viral a bit ago, the one with the pit bull literally flying from couch to couch all over the owner's living room? That's my life. All day, every day. Flying puppy. There is no such thing as an obstacle in this dog's mind. Just launching pads. :lol:

If a rescue turns out not to be a viable option, I'd do some serious homework and be prepared to spend some serious $$ and find a dog from a reputable breeder that, again, will work with you to find a good match. I would not buy a dog for a few hundred dollars from some random person off facebook, CL, etc.

• Like 3

A Labrador puppy from a shelter is virtually guaranteed to be from an irresponsible breeding (which is mentioned not as a matter of "shame" on the people responsible, but for the probability of future health consequences).

And that puppy will almost certainly undergo pediatric neutering prior to adoption. Please read the rottweiler, Golden Retriever, and Vizsla studies (or summaries) to see the devastating health consequences that come with his practice.

A rescue lab will already be at a risk for obesity, hip issues, and torn CCLs (a crippling tear of ligaments that costs $3,000 to $6,000 per side to "correct" (in quotes, because the dog will never be the same) and they usually come in pairs. So have insurance or $6000 to $12,000 in an escrow account. 

Early neutering will reduce stamina, drive up (massively) the risks of hip dysplasia, torn ligaments, and other crippling orthopedic problems. It also drives up cancer risks along with virtually ensuring obesity. 

Bill

• Like 2

We've always gotten our dogs from a reputable shelter (Helen Woodward animal center in California), but they have also just been mixed breed, medium sized dogs.  I agree with the previous posters that you need to be very prepared for the work and training a puppy entails.  The "flying puppy" reference is no joke (I love flying puppies -- but some people are not prepared for that, lol).  It's like having another baby in the house.

• Like 2

If you would love to get one from a shelter, then just keep visiting the shelters until you find one. If you go every week for a few months, you are bound to find a puppy or older dog that fits with your family. Tell the shelter employees what you're looking for and see if they can call you with a heads up when they get a dog that you might like.

• Like 3

Breed Rescue. These are organization that rescue certain breeds. Sometimes they will ask for a certain donation to offset the expenses they had with the dog, i.e. vet care, spaying / neutering. Our current dog came from a Rescue place near the California / Oregon border.

• Like 1

One was rescued from a woman who had let her dog breed. 😑 Someone I knew, knew her. She was in an abusive relationship and was making an escape over the weekend. There were two pups left that were going to animal control, so we took one. Our other was dumped on a dirt road one night. Hubby almost ran her over and when he stopped she jumped into his car. Despite advertising all over our small town, no one claimed her. Turned out she was epileptic, which is probably why she was found out in the middle of nowhere. 😑

Not much help was I? 😉

We've had 4 dogs...

1. Pure bred American Water Spaniel from a breeder. She was nutsy. Growled at our baby. We gave her to FIL two days later.

2. Pure bred Golden. Oh my. Best dog IN THE WORLD. Katrina refugee given by a friend who lost her home and had 2 other dogs to deal with. Loved loved loved this dog.

3. Half lab/ half golden. Local family had puppies they needed to get rid of. She's sweet as pie.

4. Something dog. Mostly Border Terrier. Smart as a whip!! Adorable. Adopted at a pet store, but it was a shelter thing.

I could go either breeder our shelter again as we've had wonderful pets from both.

A Labrador puppy from a shelter is virtually guaranteed to be from an irresponsible breeding (which is mentioned not as a matter of "shame" on the people responsible, but for the probability of future health consequences).

This is part of the reason why we have not considered shelters for getting another German Shepherd. We love GSDs but the really unfortunate truth is that GSDs who are surrendered often are NOT good family pets. We simply remain dogless at the moment.

• Like 1

Dog 2- Doberman- show breeder and paid through the nose because of all of the genetic tests etc to ensure heart issues etc. weren't carried. Also breeder took care of ear cropping and dew claws, etc which I didn't want to deal with finding right vet for.

We got our Doberman from a breeder for these reasons. I'm trying to convince DH to get a "sister" for him. I have a family member who works with a service dog organization, which uses labs. Not all of the dogs make it to be a service dog, so they adopt them out. The adoption fee is higher, and the waitlists can be long, but they've already been through training which a plus. Just another idea. Good luck on your search! 😊

This is part of the reason why we have not considered shelters for getting another German Shepherd. We love GSDs but the really unfortunate truth is that GSDs who are surrendered often are NOT good family pets. We simply remain dogless at the moment.

Right. As with Labs (and even more so) German Shepards—a once very fine breed—have been undermined by bad breeding. This has (like Labs) happened both due to irresponsible back-yard breeding AND  by dog fanciers in the AKC rewarding the exaggerated short rear legs that is proving crippling to the breed.

I've seen dogs that should be removed from the breeding pool (because they can barely walk) awarded with ribbons. It is a scandal.

AKC registration alone is no guarantee of good breeding. There are still breeders committed to maintaining the best working attributes of GSDs, But it is a tragically shrinking pool.  

Bill

• Like 2

I'd go for a "career change" lab from the guide dog for the blind association in our city. These are dogs that have been carefully bred for health and behaviour, have been through extensive positive socialization and obedience training, and for various reasons are not suitable to become a guide dog. They are usually around 18 months old. The cost isn't any more than a puppy from a reputable breeder.

It's like a "rescue" and carefully bred dog all in one, and the dog is still young enough to have many years with a young family.

• Like 4

I know a bunch of people will look down on this but I got my dog from an ad in the paper. These people had an accidental litter and were selling the puppies for $150. He's a happy and healthy dog (other than some allergies which aren't too bad). He's dumb as a box of rocks, but eh, what do you do? :)

We thought about going through a rescue but no one would adopt a small dog to a family with young children, plus the fees were outrageous. I saw 10 year old dogs with health problems with adoption fees higher than a healthy new puppy would cost. I get that the rescue probably put a bunch of money into rehabilitating the dog and are hoping to recoup some of those costs, but no thanks. We could never find anything we liked at the shelters in the area.

If we ever get another dog, we would look around at rescues and shelters and so on. I'm in no mood to raise a puppy right now so adopting an adult is appealing. But I would want something small and cute and happy and ideally pretty lazy (my shih tzu qualifies on all counts). I'm not sure I can find a dog that would fit the bill that the rescuer would allow me to have.

All but one of my dogs (the one who is my avatar and who we had put down in Feb. 2015) were unplanned. We (my FOO) either took in a found stray or took a puppy from a friend of a friend of a friend who's dog had puppies. Come to think of it, it was the same with our cats. We had one cat that ds bought at a pet store right after he graduated high school (he didn't know how bad pet stores are), and the cat we have now came from the shelter as a kitten. But for the most part they were found as strays or we heard of a litter and got one of the kittens.

Dh had a Keeshond when I met him, who he bought from a breeder. We bought our Sheltie (avatar dog) from a breeder. 

Since you want a specific breed and you want a puppy, I suggest you look for a reputable breeder in your area. Check online, AKC sites, sites about Labs, etc. But be prepared to pay several hundred dollars. One way to get one for less it to look for a puppy in the litter who doesn't appear to meet the show dog criteria, or won't meet it as an adult dog. It was clear to the breeder that the Sheltie who became our family dog was going to be too tall to show, so he cost less than some of the other puppies in the litter. Bonus - he turned out to be The Best Dog EVER! (and I've had over half a dozen dogs throughout my life). 

• Like 4

Current dog - county shelter. He was 8 or 9 months old when we got him. 50 lb hound/ jack russell/ ? mix

Yellow lab in my avatar pic - breeder. I read ads in the paper (19 yrs ago!) and looked at 11 litters before I found one I liked. Best dog ever!

Collie/Shepherd mix -shelter. smart dog, too smart!

• Like 1

With our first two dogs (was supposed to be one dog!) we used a puppy-specific rescue.  Our boys were 8 and 12 weeks old when we took them home.  I actually HATE puppies but, since we wanted large (mixed) breeds and had toddlers in the house, we weren't willing to take on any issues that can come with surrendered adult dogs.

Our current dog came from a Facebook rehoming page, for free.  (No more toddlers in the house, lol.)

Craigslist and buy/sell pages gross me out. While I'm sure there are some legit postings, most are backyard breeders and/or millers looking to make some cash.

Field line Labs exist. And remain the only hope of rescuing the breed from some very bad human mistakes.

Rant over.

Bill

And yet, a field line lab would probably not be a good choice for a family with a lot of young kids and a busy mom. That's a LOT of energy to deal with. A lot. 

• Like 4

Petfinder. I interviewed for our dog. The rescue we worked with was very careful about matching the dogs with the right family. We were the 4th family to show interest, but the first good match. The dogs were carefully screened as well. 

Our little dog is absolutely ideal for us. I love her and she loves us. Absolutely would do again. 

• Like 1

Puppies are wonderful, but if you're not experienced raising puppies, you might be in for a surprise. They are (usually; exceptions happen) a LOT of work. I've got a rescue pit bull puppy now and, while I've done this a bunch and love this dog very much, I had forgotten how much work a dang puppy is. The potty training! The chewing! The ENERGY. 

OMG, this!!!! My last puppy was brain damaged after a head injury at 6 weeks, so my last normal puppy was 12 years ago. Dear heavens, even with getting one that is excellent with kids and fairly laid back I'm still getting 10K plus steps a day just from constantly getting up to pull him out of some trouble or other, walking him, going to the park, etc. 

We find that if he gets to the dog park at LEAST once a day, usually twice, he's livable. Otherwise, forget about it. 

• Like 3

A Labrador puppy from a shelter is virtually guaranteed to be from an irresponsible breeding (which is mentioned not as a matter of "shame" on the people responsible, but for the probability of future health consequences).

And that puppy will almost certainly undergo pediatric neutering prior to adoption. Please read the rottweiler, Golden Retriever, and Vizsla studies (or summaries) to see the devastating health consequences that come with his practice.

A rescue lab will already be at a risk for obesity, hip issues, and torn CCLs (a crippling tear of ligaments that costs $3,000 to $6,000 per side to "correct" (in quotes, because the dog will never be the same) and they usually come in pairs. So have insurance or $6000 to $12,000 in an escrow account. 

Early neutering will reduce stamina, drive up (massively) the risks of hip dysplasia, torn ligaments, and other crippling orthopedic problems. It also drives up cancer risks along with virtually ensuring obesity. 

Bill

I actually don't have much of an argument against this, but Bill, you know those dogs still need a home, right? I just adopted what we think is a GSP that was neutered early (11 weeks) and yeah, it might lead to health problems. But it's done. Better to adopt him and give him a good life and keep him slender, etc than to what...euthanize him now, since he's been ruined forever by pediatric neutering?

Some of us get dogs via rescue for important reasons, and that the dogs are already neutered doesn't change that. 

(and I've actually had a dog tear a cruciate - partially- and refused surgery. Did my research and with crate rest and then rehab she is now perfectly fine, never had another problem with the knee :) 

• Like 5

OMG, this!!!! My last puppy was brain damaged after a head injury at 6 weeks, so my last normal puppy was 12 years ago. Dear heavens, even with getting one that is excellent with kids and fairly laid back I'm still getting 10K plus steps a day just from constantly getting up to pull him out of some trouble or other, walking him, going to the park, etc. 

We find that if he gets to the dog park at LEAST once a day, usually twice, he's livable. Otherwise, forget about it. 

Ha! Yes, our last puppy was about 11 years ago. I thought I after I survived the kitten years with our Bengal cat, along with surviving the toddler years at almost 40 with my youngest human kid, that I was good to go. I am lamenting the death of our treadmill right now. With the crappy winter weather, wearing out the puppy is hard. 

And yet, a field line lab would probably not be a good choice for a family with a lot of young kids and a busy mom. That's a LOT of energy to deal with. A lot. 

I'd argue that if a healthy representative of a particular breed was unsuitable for a person they'd be better off not acquiring a dog of that breed, as opposed to getting one pre-programed to suffer from morbid obesity as a means of de-tuning the dog into a couch potato.

This propensity to take good dogs and ruin them by breeding for lethargy, obesity, and bad health is severely damaging breeds like Labrador Retrievers. If a fit Lab is ill-suited to a home, get a different dog.

It is tragic to see crippled and morbidly obese Labs hobbling around in pain and that's the condition of most these days.

Encouraging such is not responsible pet ownership IMO.

Bill

• Like 1

We have a golden retriever from a reputable golden rescue and a mutt from another rescue. You can look on the AKC page for the breed's club and find breed-specific rescues that way. Advertising on Craigslist is pretty much a given that the breeder is a backyard breeder who's only concerned with making money and has no idea what they're doing IMO. We researched Golden breeders before we found the mutt. Wait lists for puppies are a good thing. Breeders who place the dogs based on experience giving some weight to owner preference is also a good thing. Usually they'll pick the one or two show-quality dogs out of the litter then assign the pets. A good breeder will request that the non-show-quality/non-breeding-quality dogs be spayed/neutered at the age recommended by your vet and NOT used for breeding on your own.

Labs are really high-energy dogs. Will you be able to give it 5 miles or so a day? Good friends of ours who were experienced Golden owners adopted a lab puppy. The mom is losing her mind. They hired a dog walker because they can't keep up with his energy and have a small yard. I really don't know what they were thinking other than "Squee! Cute puppy!" Our Golden is 6 and still nuts, but that puppy vibrates, and he'll be a puppy until he's 2. At least.

• Like 3

I agree. Even though field bred Labs are still relative slugs compared to the other bird dog breeds, it's still more energy than most average pet owners can or will want to deal with.

• Like 1

I actually don't have much of an argument against this, but Bill, you know those dogs still need a home, right? I just adopted what we think is a GSP that was neutered early (11 weeks) and yeah, it might lead to health problems. But it's done. Better to adopt him and give him a good life and keep him slender, etc than to what...euthanize him now, since he's been ruined forever by pediatric neutering?

Some of us get dogs via rescue for important reasons, and that the dogs are already neutered doesn't change that. 

(and I've actually had a dog tear a cruciate - partially- and refused surgery. Did my research and with crate rest and then rehab she is now perfectly fine, never had another problem with the knee :)

I'll grant you it is a moral conundrum.

But when people support ethical breeders who pay for health clearances and put time and effort into making well-considered pairings, one supports animal heath. 

So-called Animal Rights groups are trying to eliminate the very best ethical breeders though burdensome laws and regulations that only benefit puppy mills.

When we fail to question, or add support, to the disastrous early spay/neuter policies we are complicit in the practice that's demonstrably injurious to the health of individual dogs. 

We need sane alternatives to pediatric neutering that could take care of unwanted pregnancies without resort to the most radical and health-damaging removal of sex hormone producing organs in infancy. That practice is madness.

Bill 

• Like 3

I have a yellow English lab from a breeder who is also a family friend.

I  paid $1500.

My friend got her lab through a lab rescue.

The first lab she got ended up biting her 4 year old (not seriously) and had to be returned, which was hard.
The second lab is a good fit and a sweet dog.

Both of those were not purebreds, got at about 1 year old. I think the 2nd is part pit bull.

I think not-purebreds are heartier in general. I got a purebred only  because I wanted a puppy and to have as much predictability in temperament as possible due to having young / special needs kids.

We got our guy from a humane society.  We live in Oregon and they are shipping in dogs from Los Angeles and New Mexico.  

My oldest daughter was fostering the mama dog (from LA) and new pups when my daughter ended up in the hospital with an emergency gall bladder removal.  We took over caring for the puppies.    DD #3 was lying on the couch loving one of the puppies when he peed on her chest.  She fell in love with him.  :laugh:

Since my oldest had fostered the puppies, her friends and family were given first dibs on the puppies.  We were the only crazies who took one.  Sebastian is so much like his mom and she drove me nuts.  At least we knew what his personality would be like. 

Yeah, taking on a puppy was so much harder than I remembered.   

• Like 1

But when people support ethical breeders who pay for health clearances and put time and effort into making well-considered pairings, one supports animal heath. 

So-called Animal Rights groups are trying to eliminate the very best ethical breeders though burdensome laws and regulations that only benefit puppy mills.

When we fail to question, or add support, to the disastrous early spay/neuter policies we are complicit in the practice that's demonstrably injurious to the health of individual dogs. 

We need sane alternatives to pediatric neutering that could take care of unwanted pregnancies without resort to the most radical and health-damaging removal of sex hormone producing organs in infancy. That practice is madness.

Bill 

No arguments, seriously. But what's done is done :)  Finding a rescue dog that had a vasectomy is unlikely, although some groups do allow you to have the dog altered at your own vet, after adoption. But better luck with private group doing that than a shelter. We just decided to take on the added risks with this guy, going into it with eyes open. He needed a home, and we had a good one to give him. 

(btw....what do you think..think he looks like a GSP?) 

15844012_10154365328913666_1162783618252

• Like 4

No arguments, seriously. But what's done is done :)  Finding a rescue dog that had a vasectomy is unlikely, although some groups do allow you to have the dog altered at your own vet, after adoption. But better luck with private group doing that than a shelter. We just decided to take on the added risks with this guy, going into it with eyes open. He needed a home, and we had a good one to give him. 

(btw....what do you think..think he looks like a GSP?) 

15844012_10154365328913666_1162783618252

Yes, he looks like a GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer).

I'm assuming he is "mouthy" at this stage?

Get your hands inside his mouth as often as possible at this age to encourage bite-inhibition/soft mouth.

If he bites down gently (and gently means gently) move hand deeper into his mouth. While this seems counter-intuitive (the natural-and worst-impules is to pull out) it will result in the pup loosening his grip. When he relaxes partially withdraw the hand (while keeping it in his mouth).

If biting is too severe a thumb-nail to the upper palate (very gently) or muzzle folded (with no pressure) over teeth will give a pup feedback that biting hurts. Do this many (many) times daily. The result will be a very safe and happy dog you can trust not to bite.

I must chuckle at the choice of GSP as I recall you didn't want a breed with the energy of, say, a Vizsla. LOL. :D

GSPs are great dogs. I love them. He should prove easier that an athletic-type Weirmaner.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Bill 

I agree with all of this.

I think we're just pointing out reality; there are so many homeless pets in the U.S., a problem created by irresponsible breeding. We can argue all we want about not supporting irresponsible breeders, but in the meantime, what about those dogs that end up in shelters? We don't have realistic alternatives to early spay/neuter right now. Rescues are already overburdened and short on funds. The reality is that early spay/neuter is the only way for shelter/rescue dogs. Double-edged sword and all that. I had a conversation about this with the rescue coordinator who took care of our last rescue pup. We both lamented that the dog had to be spayed early; we both know it's not the healthiest option. But the rescues have no choice but to institute the policy that dog is spayed/neutered before it is re-homed. And honestly, I'd rather deal with the health issues and shortened lifespan than have any more damn pit bulls being bred by idiots (and if I'm being honest, I think anyone breeding a pit bull is an idiot). We euthanize dozens of them every month at our local shelter. Those are the alternatives: euthanasia or early spay/neuter. I'm not opposed to either because reality. I'm not opposed to humane euthanasia for dogs that are unlikely to succeed in a home and unfortunately I can't be opposed to spaying/neutering rescue dogs because there are already too many accidents out there. I've pulled dogs that have been broken (literally physically broken and mentally) in ways you can't imagine. Dogs with prolapsed rectums and broken bones from being beaten? Check. Dogs used as bait dogs in fighting rings? Check. Dogs found as feral litters to starving mothers in the woods? Check. Dogs left abandoned, tied up outside a shopping center? Check. I could go on. And those are just my dogs' stories.

Anyway, yes, I agree with you, but not everyone is going to go to those ethical breeders. We can only encourage and educate folks to go to ethical breeders or go to rescues--and the reality of rescue right now is early spay/neuter. I don't think that should discourage folks who aren't going to drop $$ on a dog from a good breeder from going to a rescue as the alternative, because the other alternative is buying from crappy breeders.  

• Like 2

We got our recent dog from a rescue. She was born into the rescue and we were able to meet her and pick her from her litter mates. She's the sweetest baby ever! We have no idea who the father is, she may be prone to health problems, and we have limited info on her mom, but we don't care. She's more than twice as big as her mom and looks nothing like her. Other than temperament, which we've been told her mom was very sweet, whatever we have about her mom is not too useful. When I tell the vet what breed her mom was, they are incredulous and pretty much disregard it because she looks nothing like that. 

Our previous two dogs were found by us under an abandoned house as puppies. Two of their litter mates were already dead in the yard. We know nothing at all about their parents but they were great dogs! They were as healthy as any dog could be expected to be and lived to be about 14 and 16yrs old. 

I would advise looking for lab mixes on petfinder, especially in the spring. There's lab mix puppies all the time near us and often you can find a rescue to transport pups from high kill shelters to adoptive homes. I don't have anything against breeders, but lab mixes are very common and easy to find in shelters. 

FWIW, our shelter wouldn't spay our cats until they were 6mos old and the rescue would let us wait until a puppy was a year to neuter. Some groups are easier to work with than others. 

Edited by Paige