Menu

Just a vent-JAWM

DawnM

ETA: Ordered from Costco. Hoping they work out.

THANK YOU!

UGH.

My boys (teens who wear MENS' SIZES)  have outgrown their winter jackets/coats, or they are in disrepair. 

In the past I have always been able to get them at thrift stores, etc......this year I am just not having any luck finding things.

I did find one fleece for one boy, but that isn't enough for colder days. 

The nicer jackets I am finding are over $100 each min.  I need to buy 3.

I will continue to go to some thrift stores this weekend, but need something for them SOON as mornings waiting at the bus stop are below 30.

Please don't say, "Oh, did you try Kohl's? Did you go to Target?"   I have been to several stores.   I am TIRED.   I just don't have much time to run around.   And the retail stores are not having sales because it is the season to buy jackets.   I SHOULD have purchased them after winter last year.  But I didn't.  I am mad AT MYSELF.

The end.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

I know you don't want any more "did you looks"...but do you have a Plato's Closet near you? Also, I am seeing tons of coats being sold on local Facebook swap pages for decent prices.

I know you don't want any more "did you looks"...but do you have a Plato's Closet near you? Also, I am seeing tons of coats being sold on local Facebook swap pages for decent prices.

I have been watching those sites too!   So far, nothing that is their size.  I see more womens' coats than mens'.

There is a Plato's Closet but it isn't close to me.  I work full time and I just don't have the time to run in the directions we don't go for work or activities.

Costco or Sam's usually has coats this time of year.

:grouphug: I hear ya. My ds complained to me his shoes were too tight. His brother sitting right next to him says, "mine too". And then the oldest says, "mine have a hole in them". We need three pairs of sneakers at the same time and all of them have adult size expensive feet! 

• Like 1

UGH.

My boys have outgrown their winter jackets/coats, or they are in disrepair.  

In the past I have always been able to get them at thrift stores, etc......this year I am just not having any luck finding things.

I did find one fleece for one boy, but that isn't enough for colder days.   

The nicer jackets I am finding are over $100 each min.   I need to buy 3.

I will continue to go to some thrift stores this weekend, but need something for them SOON as mornings waiting at the bus stop are below 30.

Please don't say, "Oh, did you try Kohl's?  Did you go to Target?"   I have been to several stores.   I am TIRED.  I just don't have much time to run around.  And the retail stores are not having sales because it is the season to buy jackets.   I SHOULD have purchased them after winter last year.  But I didn't.  I am mad AT MYSELF.

The end.

Don't despair!! I used a 50% off coupon three times at Lands End.com to buy the winter gear we need for a trip next month. The quality is good and they have grow-a-long features that allow them to work for at least two years. I refuse to go to stores anymore. It's exhausting!

Clearance prices PLUS a 40 or 50% off coupon will bring the price down under $30 per jacket with free shipping .   http://www.landsend.com/shop/sale/boys/-/N-g1w?brandCode=classic&cm_re=lec-_-sale-_-global-_-glbnv-saleboys-_-20160316-_-txt

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 5

Don't despair!! I used a 50% off coupon three times at Lands End.com to buy the winter gear we need for a trip next month. The quality is good and they have grow-a-long features that allow them to work for at least two years. I refuse to go to stores anymore. It's exhausting!

Clearance prices PLUS a 40 or 50% off coupon... https://dealsea.com/view/landsend.com will bring the price down under $30 per jacket with free shipping. http://www.landsend.com/shop/sale/boys/-/N-g1w?brandCode=classic&cm_re=lec-_-sale-_-global-_-glbnv-saleboys-_-20160316-_-txt

I was going to reply to mention Lands End as well. They have 40% off regularly and the coats are great quality. 

• Like 2

Right there with you. My mom bought almost all of the kids' clothes when they were younger; she has stopped doing so lately, and my budget is really feeling the pinch.

Oldest is women's sizes and she doesn't like patterns or bright colors. She is currently in a scoliosis brace, so she has to have certain clothes to both go over and under the brace, none of which will fit (or be needed) once she is out of the brace. She also needed a coat since she only had 1 that didn't go over the brace well - too fitted.

Second dd is growing like a weed - I was so proud of myself for catching a sale at Crazy 8 in August since she won't wear the handmedowns from oldest (this dd is only patterns and bright colors). When we broke out the clothes in Sept, she had grown and they were on the verge of too short and she's at the highest size of Crazy 8. She now alternates between her just a little too short Crazy 8 pants and super expensive Lularoe leggings. She also needed a coat this year. 

Fortunately, youngest doesn't grow much at all (she's 9 and currently wearing a 6x or 7) - I only bought her 2 pairs of Walmart leggings to go under dresses. Most of her clothes from last year still fit and she is ok with all handmedowns. This one had 4 coats in the bin for her size! I ended up selling 2 at the consignment shop. 

Clearance prices PLUS a 40 or 50% off coupon... https://dealsea.com/view/landsend.com will bring the price down under $30 per jacket with free shipping. http://www.landsend.com/shop/sale/boys/-/N-g1w?brandCode=classic&cm_re=lec-_-sale-_-global-_-glbnv-saleboys-_-20160316-_-txt

When I click that link, it shows no current coupons.

onTon.com is offering up FREE standard shipping on ANY size order with the promo code FREESHIP at checkout. In addition, through Saturday, November 26th, score a whopping $60 off a $100 select Women’s and/or Men’s coat purchase with the code ZOUTTHAF016 at checkout. AND yes, these codes 

Buy 1 Hawke & Co. Men’s Softshell With Chest Pocket $49.99 – regularly $250

(Choose from 4 colors, but sizes are selling out FAST!)
Buy 1 Hawke & Co. Men’s 3-In-1 Softshell Systems Jacket $74.99 – regularly $225
Total = $124.98
Use the code ZOUTTHAF016 ($60 off $100)
Use the code FREEHIP
Final cost ONLY $64.98 shipped for BOTH jackets – just $32.49!

From Hip2Save

• Like 1

Can you console yourself with the thought that if you had bought them at the end of last season you'd have gotten the wrong size due to not knowing how much they would grow?  It's possible...

Best wishes for finding something!

No.  I usually buy a size too large, and that is pretty much where they are.

I am stopping at 2 thrift stores today hoping for something. 

Winter coats for DS (age 12 and been in mens sizes for two years now) is the ONLY reason I will go shopping Black Friday weekend.  Sears always has huge discounts winter coats for Black Friday.  I bought DS a mens medium last year, and it seems to still fit him this year.  Hooray!  But I'm thinking I want a new longer one for myself, so I will likely still go and check it out.  I've never paid more than $30 for a brand new, excellent quality coat at Sears this coming weekend. 

I wish I had better advice, we just buy new snow gear for the kids of the highest quality and most durable brand, and know it's going to be about $500 every few years even with hand me downs. It's the cost of living in a cold climate.

Stinks but I've never had much luck used either, or from discount/chain retailers.

What men's sizes do they wear? I am coat shopping for ds13 who wears a men's small and can do some looking around on the web. I have gotten decent jackets on ebay before, but that was several years ago.

Shoebuy often has some coats for good prices, and they should start their BF deals soon.

YOungest wears a Med.  Oldest prob wears a Med as well, but I need to double check.  Middle wears a large.

Sorry, try a quick search. I think the 50% coupon that I used expired but there's still the 40% one that's active. My DD wears the adult S or the child/junior XL.

Thanks.  I think the only one that would really work is currently $169, so even with the 40% off, it is over $100 each.   $30 each may be for the kids, but they don't wear those sizes.  They are at least a Men's Med.

Thanks. I think the only one that would really work is currently $169, so even with the 40% off, it is over $100 each. $30 each may be for the kids, but they don't wear those sizes. They are at least a Men's Med.

Ahh, sorry, didn't realize the sizes you need. I'd definitely keep your eyes peeled on Friday tho. They usually have great Black Friday deals.

costco?

sierratradingpost.com?

Costco might be a possibility.  I will check online.

Looks like there are even some sales.  The good thing about Costco is, if it doesn't work out, it is easy to return.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

How old are the boys? Can you give them the budget and tell them to look online for one they like?

Can one of the smaller boys wear the coat the older one wore last year?

Unfortunately, there can be no passing down this year.  My oldest and my youngest pretty much wear the same size and my middle is the largest, but his coat is no longer functional!

As far as a budget and looking online, I can, and I will show them before I buy, but I would need them to know where to look, etc...and prob do it with them.  

Unfortunately, there can be no passing down this year. My oldest and my youngest pretty much wear the same size and my middle is the largest, but his coat is no longer functional!

As far as a budget and looking online, I can, and I will show them before I buy, but I would need them to know where to look, etc...and prob do it with them.

That's too bad. My two sisters and I were the same size all through high school it had a lot of advantages but disadvantages as far as shoes and coats too.

I was hoping your boys were old enough to do the legwork and let you just do the purchasing.

It's so hard to find good winter outerwear this late in the season, anyway, on sale or not.  Ugh.

Having said that, if it were me I would start with REI, since the local used clothing outlets seem to have failed you.  REI is online, and they are EXTREMELY generous about returns.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

That's too bad. My two sisters and I were the same size all through high school it had a lot of advantages but disadvantages as far as shoes and coats too.

I was hoping your boys were old enough to do the legwork and let you just do the purchasing.

Eh, I guess they are, but I would still have to do most of the telling them sites to look at. It isn't that they aren't old enough, not even sure why that was brought up, you know they are teens.