Menu

s/o yoga pants

nevergiveup

So, if yoga pants are so widely accepted, where if any, do you draw the line and why?

Do you wear them to church?

To a meeting?

Many have stated that they are just a covering and to say what one should and shouldn't wear is just bowing to current fashion or being judgey.

So....church?

Meeting with the President?

I don't go to church, so cannot comment on that.

Meeting - completely depends on the meeting.

Board meeting of the local women's community center, work meeting with my teaching team to discuss an exam draft? No problem. Casual dress is fine. Others may be wearing jeans. I don't see any difference between jeans and T-shirt and yoga pants or a casual dress.

Professional meeting with higher ranked administrator, i.e. my boss' boss, or meeting with a student? Needs professional attire - because I have to portray professionality and competence .

If I met the president, I would wear formal attire - neither jeans nor yoga pants.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

the only time I've worn yoga pants to church was for a yoga class.

they're probably like leggings.   super casual.

I have chico's  traveler's pants (which I don't wear much - 'cause I usually wear jeans), which are nicer  looking than yoga pants (I'd be willing to wear them somewhere dressier than casual), and more comfortable than my very sturdy yoga pants.

Just as a country or a state or a city has a culture with acceptable norms, so do smaller gatherings.  What is acceptable culture at some businesses with regard to attire would not be acceptable in another business/company.  Same with churches.  Same with restaurants.  Most adults are intelligent enough to figure out the cultural norms of the places they frequent without others deciding to be the clothing police. Or without someone else (unless they own the business etc. and have the authority to do so) placing their standards on them.  Or without someone who comes from one clothing culture thinking that everyone has the same clothing culture. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 7

I agree with the others - I'd wear yoga pants to the same places I would wear jeans.  In my case, that does/did include work and church.  Now I would wear a long, dressy tunic type top over the yoga pants in that situation and a nicer blouse with the jeans.  Maybe with a cardigan sweater.  And boots or flats rather than sneakers.  But yeah, I've done that.

Meeting the president, I'd probably dress up a little bit more.

You can dress up jeans, to wear them out to dinner, etc.  You cannot dress up yoga pants.  

Why not?  A pair of solid black yoga pants, with a long dressy tunic top and knee high boots.  What's not dressed up about that?  Honestly, unless someone saw me get dressed they probably wouldn't be able to tell if my pants are yoga pants, leggings, or black dress pants.  

• Like 14

I only wear them under long skirts. The world doesn't need to see my booty.

And this turns them into leggings, not really yoga pants.  I mean they ARE still yoga pants, but you know what I mean (I hope)  Long dressy tunics over yoga pants are okay with me (not that anyone needs my approval) but if you are wearing a dressy tunic over clearly athletic yoga pants, that might appear slightly odd from a fashion sense?  

And this turns them into leggings, not really yoga pants.  I mean they ARE still yoga pants, but you know what I mean (I hope)  Long dressy tunics over yoga pants are okay with me (not that anyone needs my approval) but if you are wearing a dressy tunic over clearly athletic yoga pants, that might appear slightly odd from a fashion sense?  

I think you meant to quote Where's Toto.  :)

I personally don't wear them as my day clothes, but if I did, I assume shopping or co-op or the library or the ball field or other places where very casual clothing is accepted. Not for a meeting. Not to an office. Not to church.

Although I have seen those LuLa things at my church. Not a fan. But I have seen it. Our church is quite casual, though.

One place I would NOT EVER wear yoga pants (or leggings): The Rainbow Room in NYC. I was once involved in a tour trip where there was some confusion over attire; I wore jeans and several other ladies wore leggings with long sweaters. Yikes. Fashion malfunction. I felt like an idiot. Never doing that again. Now, my standard dressing for unknown situations is a black dress at minimum. Hard to go far wrong in that.

There are categories of clothes.  Yoga pants belong in the casual category.  So I'd wear them whenever casual clothes are appropriate.

:iagree: They are casual clothing.

I would not wear casual clothing to meet the President. I don't attend church and when I did, it was more business casual than casual. 

I do not see leggings and yoga pants as the same item. Yoga pants are generally less form fitting, possibly boot cut instead of being narrow at the ankles. 

Whether yoga pants are a reasonable choice would depend on the formality of the occasion--they are informal wear. Back yard barbecue with friends? Sure. Formal business reception? Nope. Church? Depends on the formality of the church. Mine is rather formal and people dress up. Some are very casual. If people wear shorts to your church, yoga pants ought to be OK. If men usually come in ties, they would be a no go.

My church is casual. I watch toddlers during the second service and wear activewear pants most of the time. Either yoga pants or those tight capris.

To meet the president my clothing choices would depend on where I was meeting him.

Edited by reign
  • Like 1

Replace yoga pants with jeans or a formal dress or jeans. Different clothes are worn in different places. I primarily wear yoga pants to...wait for it... yoga class. BUT if I happen to have them on and need to run some errands(dr's appts, shopping, informal meetings, eating out) then I keep them on, unless it is absolutely incompatible. No, I would not wear my yoga pants to church BUT I've seen certain styles worn in certain ways that look quite nice and dressy. I certainly think yoga pants can be dressed up enough for business or dressier occasions.

• Like 3

When I hear these questions about yoga pants, I assume that means yoga pants worn with a top that hits at or just below the waste. This would mean the close-fitting pants show the definition of the body below the belt. When y'all describe them as being worn with long tunics, that essentially turns them into leggings in my book.

Yoga pants worn as pants for yoga (as opposed to leggings), I would wear to any place I'd wear exercise attire.

This is sort of a weird question. Do you really think people will say they'd wear them to church or to a meeting with the president?

I would wear them anywhere I would wear jeans. If it wouldn't be appropriate to wear jeans, I wouldn't wear yoga pants.

I am a fossil so I really don't know what is acceptable any more.

Along the same lines--I saw a person wearing flip flops to church, pajama pants for a meeting at school, and there were a group of women who wore flip flops with a meeting with the President (it was in the news awhile back).

Just as a country or a state or a city has a culture with acceptable norms, so do smaller gatherings.  What is acceptable culture at some businesses with regard to attire would not be acceptable in another business/company.  Same with churches.  Same with restaurants.  Most adults are intelligent enough to figure out the cultural norms of the places they frequent without others deciding to be the clothing police. Or without someone else (unless they own the business etc. and have the authority to do so) placing their standards on them.  Or without someone who comes from one clothing culture thinking that everyone has the same clothing culture. 

I guess I am intelligent enough that when I crawl out from under my rock I see that people are no longer wearing bustles and fedoras.

I was just curious to see how far the new cultural norm has come. 

Someone made the decision to wear yoga pants in public.  They were probably frowned upon at first.

Someone will probably wear them to church (or other formerly "formal" places) and be frowned upon, too.  Then more and more people will do it and it will be a new normal.

As I stated, I am a fossil.  A curious one.

I guess I am intelligent enough that when I crawl out from under my rock I see that people are no longer wearing bustles and fedoras.

I was just curious to see how far the new cultural norm has come.

Someone made the decision to wear yoga pants in public. They were probably frowned upon at first.

Someone will probably wear them to church (or other formerly "formal" places) and be frowned upon, too. Then more and more people will do it and it will be a new normal.

As I stated, I am a fossil. A curious one.

I'm enough of a fossil to have worn a poodle skirt when everyone else did. I also remember mini skirts which showed a lot more than yoga pants did. So when you talk about cultural norms, judgmental people have been frowning at women for a long time before yoga pants came on the scene.

As I stated in the other thread, I wear flowing pants so I'm not the object of your judgement. I'm also the only woman in my church who wears dresses every single Sunday. But I don't think that makes me any better than someone who works hard in a company with a casual dress code. Or a casually dressed SAHM who is shopping for her family. Or someone sitting beside me in a pew who is worshipping God instead of frowning at what others are wearing.

As I said, cultural norms are not uniform even in the same city. I can name businesses in my city that require uniforms. And ones that require suit and tie. And ones that "require " shorts and t-shirts. The employees at each of these places are conscientious people who fit in with the dress code or norms of their workplace.

I know places of worship that vary from very formal with women covering their hair to very casual. Their dress doesn't tell me about their relationship with their God. I am more formal because I feel better that way but I know people who find dressing up to be a stumbling block.

I see women out and about in dresses, uniforms, jeans, athletic wear. I don't know where they've been or where they are going. But I don't think that the ones in yoga pants are somehow bringing down society's standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Are yoga pants the same as leggings?

Thank you for asking that. I just moved back to the USA after five years in Scandinavia. THE casual female "uniform" where we lived is black leggings. It is rarely warm enough for bare legs, even in summer. Teens wear them under short shorts. Women of all ages wear them under skirts and dresses and tunics - makes cycling way easier.

I have replaced my jeans with them. Some reach my ankle, and some go to mid-calf. I have been known to wear them for yoga.

But are they yoga pants? Sincere question.

• Like 1

Thank you for asking that. I just moved back to the USA after five years in Scandinavia. THE casual female "uniform" where we lived is black leggings. It is rarely warm enough for bare legs, even in summer. Teens wear them under short shorts. Women of all ages wear them under skirts and dresses and tunics - makes cycling way easier.

I have replaced my jeans with them. Some reach my ankle, and some go to mid-calf. I have been known to wear them for yoga.

But are they yoga pants? Sincere question.

In my opinion, yoga pants and leggings are different. Old Navy's  description is how I view the difference. Although, yoga pants don't always have to have a higher waist. I tend to view yoga pants as a singular dark color while leggings can be a solid color or have a pattern. 

• Like 2

As I stated in the other thread, I wear flowing pants so I'm not the object of your judgement. I'm also the only woman in my church who wears dresses every single Sunday. But I don't think that makes me any better than someone who works hard in a company with a casual dress code.

Hmm.  Where in my post did I judge anyone? 

Sorry if you felt I was judging you--that was not my intention.

I generally wear men's clothing because they are more comfortable, so there!  I am currently sporting a T-shirt that belonged to my nephew, my son's outgrown jeans, and men's sneakers.  Yoga pants would probably be an improvement.

As I stated, I was curious about the trend.

Along the same lines--I saw a person wearing flip flops to church, pajama pants for a meeting at school, and there were a group of women who wore flip flops with a meeting with the President (it was in the news awhile back).

Ahhh....flip-flops. That could be a whole new thread. 🙂I hate them, and how they look outside of a beach/pool/home setting. The 'nicer' sporty ones are a little better, but I don't see those much here. I'm not bothered at all by yoga pants/leggings, but the flip flop thing does bug me. Wearing them during summer or in a warm climate is one thing, I see them where we live all year long---and it's cold and rainy much of the year. A guy at church that does worship wears a ratty old pair every week, all year long. I always wonder why he doesn't put on some shoes, at least a regular sandal. (He is a normal young guy, he has a job, so I'm certain he 'could' wear an actual shoe. It's not a financial or medical reason.) I do have somewhat of a foot aversion, though. I generally find people's bare feet fairly gross.

Hmm.  Where in my post did I judge anyone? 

Sorry if you felt I was judging you--that was not my intention.

I generally wear men's clothing because they are more comfortable, so there!  I am currently sporting a T-shirt that belonged to my nephew, my son's outgrown jeans, and men's sneakers.  Yoga pants would probably be an improvement.

As I stated, I was curious about the trend.

I answered the question in my first post on this thread where I talked about cultural norms being dependent on location - both global and specific.  I did over-react to the judgemental aspect because I carried over frustration from the thread that this spun off of.  I apologize for that. 

I understand now. I don't attend church regularly, so I can only answer regarding how I would dress attending one for someone's event. Typically, those events are more formal, so no, no yoga pants or flip flops then. Though apparently some do attend churches that run so casual that you could wear those kinds of things. I kind of love that. I'd like to think that if there's a God, s/he wouldn't care what you're wearing when you're worshipping, as long as you're worshipping. 

As to the meeting with the president, I guess, depending on the venue/event/weather, some kinds of dressier flip flops might be OK. I personally wouldn't do that, but I could imagine scenarios where they might work. I especially think that this particular president really wouldn't care. Others might. 

• Like 1

I wear yoga pants around the house and yard and to my physical therapy appointment.  Oh, and I wore them in the hospital.

Yoga pants and flip flops are pretty much in the same category for me.  They are clothing for specialized events, not everyday wear.

I know I'm in a very, very small minority but that's just how I roll.

I have a black pair and dark grey pair of yoga pants that have a boot-cut shape. They are not the shiny type and are not form fitting. I have worn them to Wednesday night church with a sweater and with a tunic. I have also worn them to ladies Bible study on Sunday night with a sweatshirt. They look like cotton pants. 

So I just answered the other thread saying today I wore my yoga pants to a semi dressy event. It was an afternoon outdoor event and I needed comfort. The venue was a public location with a mix of people; some were dressed up because they were staying after the afternoon session to attend the evening event, and others very casual as it is a popular tourist destination. I was somewhere in between so I didn't stand out in any way and I had my comfort that was important to me. I dressed the outfit up with a nice top and some costume jewelry and I wore some dressy comfy sandals. I have been blessed with a tuned body so yoga pants fit me very well. I do work out for the health benefits but my body looks the way it does thanks to extremely good maternal genes. I look much fitter than I really am.

I wore Croc brand flip flop type sandals to my Grandmother's funeral last year. *shock, gasp, faint* I even wore them to a second funeral the following week.

It's the end of western civilization as we know it.

They were comfortable and didn't aggravate my feet.

I don't believe in any gods so no church here, but from my previous experience there are plenty of churches where it would not be inappropriate to wear flip flops or leggings or yoga pants. With the president? Depends on which president and which context we're meeting. A meeting? Depends on what kind of meeting and where. There are plenty of meetings where it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm not interested in policing another woman's choice of clothing. I trust that she will do as she feels appropriate and expect the same in return.

• Like 1

This is me in yoga pants and a t-shirt. (maternity). I wore this grocery shopping and to Ikea. I think I had on athletic shoes, but often wear flip flops. I have issues with my feet, both sensory and medical, so I wear orthopedic flip flops most of the time. (I also live in Florida, so that's common). I do not wear flip flops with a skirt or dress to church...I either wear ballet flats with a skirt/dress, or I wear jeans and a nicer top with my flip flops or ballet flats. 

14519750_10154077880778666_7175110875756

• Like 5

I've seen yoga pants dressed up quite nicely and they would be appropriate for many occasions. I'm not the type to draw the line where other people's wardrobe choices are concerned. If someone wanted to wear yoga pants under a dress with a scarf and boots to meet the president, I would not think that was inappropriate. Personally, I'd wear a dress.

Edited by Mimm