Menu

What do you do when you are worried?

lovinmyboys

I do all the filing that are not urgent but need to be done like medical bills, dental bills, tax documents. Then I would be shredding documents that are no longer needed.

If I still have "too much time", I would be doing a clothes stock count of my kids clothes to make sure I have enough pants for a growth spurt.

When my kid's result were not good, they ask us to drop by ASAP.

:grouphug:

My worries tend toward irrational fear. I try to bring myself back to the rational side by noting things such as "bringing patients in to go over results in person is standard procedure for many doctors' offices--no matter what the results are." Yeah, that doesn't always work for me either, but add in some praying, exercise, and keeping busy and that helps.

• Like 1

Compulsively research.

Call all my people.

Clean & organize, talking on the phone and cleaning at the same time is even better, it is one of my favorite things to do.

Exercise.

I started meditation as a way to deal w/ some stressors and have found it helpful, of course you can't do that all the time but any time one can get a moment here and there it is helpful and the more you practice the more you can pull it into everyday life.

eta I was a bit stressed last week so I decided to start cleaning out the basement, not like I had the time but I had to divert my focus. Working is also a good time to get my thoughts straight and form a plan and it puts my frenzied energy to a good use instead of just spazzing.

Edited by soror

I try to consciously lift my thoughts off of the worry and onto something else, like imagining a gorgeous mountain scene, or remembering something funny.

This year I have realized something, quite belatedly, which is that God says, over and over, "Be not afraid."  And this year every time I have been tempted to worry, I have remembered that, and the fear has left.  It's quite remarkable.  I'm talking about entrenched, real, anticipatory fear in genuinely potentially hazardous situations, like when I awoke in an empty, remote cabin to find a light on that I had turned off before I went to bed, for which the most reasonable explanation was that there was an intruder in the place who didn't know that anyone else was there.  God is so gracious to have freed me from mindnumbing fear in those types of situations.  

I usually get on my bike and hit the trail- a good long ride soothes me and gives me plenty of time to think and talk myself out of irrational fears. 

I also stress eat, usually carbs.  

I wish I was a stress cleaner but instead I am an angry cleaner. If I'm in the middle of a cleaning frenzy my family usually wonders which one of them has ticked me off. 

I pray, pray and pray some more.

Try to do something I enjoy...dinner with a friend, get a massage, work on a craft etc.

And I pray. Every time I get anxious, the what ifs attack...every time I think about it and worry, I put it in God's hands.

Good luck! Hope all is well. Will pray for you, for good results and for peace of mind while you wait.

I wish mine was clean, but mine is cooking or baking.  My Dh has been known to come home to several loaves of bread, a couple of pies and several dozen cookies on the kitchen counters and say,

"Uh-Oh.  What are we worrying about?"

During the two week wait for college acceptances I made 39 loaves of banana bread.  Yep.  I would make banana bread everyday and give loaves away to friends & neighbors.  The mail carrier & UPS guy got banana bread.  The guy hawking solar panels got banana bread.  The door to door pest control guys got banana bread.  Cinnamon  banana bread, whole wheat banana bread, chocolate chip banana bread, chocolate peanut butter swirl banana bread, coconut lime banana bread, blueberry banana bread,  and regular banana nut bread.  It got so bad that a woman at church made the announcement during a women's meeting that whoever had taken my daughter's college acceptance letter had better return it because her diet couldn't handle all the banana bread.

I also re-read books that I know end well, because I need a happy ending.

Will be sending you good thoughts for peace & calm & good results.

Amber in SJ

• Like 7

:grouphug: I'm so sorry that this is causing such distress.  Praying that the news is good. 

When I am stressed, I do an obscene amount of reading (mostly lighter, chick-lit fair) to keep my mind of things and I ignore my usual responsibilities.  I tend to read a lot at night when my mind starts racing with worries about our difficult situation with K.  I have read a ridiculous amount of books this year.  Can't really handle anything heavy though. 

I hope you can find something to keep your mind off things and keep the worry at bay. 

• Like 1

I'm also waiting for some results and waiting for a follow up cat scan. Lots of Drs and tests. It's ridiculous. 

I watch funny/silly tv shows like Miranda. I clean out drawers. I'm currently lining small drawers with scrapbooking paper. :/ I'm making myself laugh.

I saw a band on Saturday and at first I was like "I'm tired, I'm depressed... Why am I here??" And then by the second song I was like "Screw this!!" I went nuts! We were far from home and I knew I'd never see those people again. By the end of the night I waved bye-bye to my family and literally flung myself into a crazy part of the crowd. Haha!! I was singing, dancing and laughing with everyone. Seriously The best I've felt in a long time, even though I thought I was going to pass out or puke many times. :)

I feel so vulnerable right now. Like bad news could easily come up and slap me across the face. Or not. I just don't know. I'm trying to be happy and light right now

Epsom salt baths... I wash all my bedding and make my room all clean and cozy. Good sleep is a miracle worker!

:grouphug: Hugs to you. 

Edited by helena

I'd clean. And cook. And probably eat.

I hope the results are ok. I got called in recently after a number of blood tests. And they called me more than once so I was sure it was serious. Turns out my iron levels were low... Honestly, the worry probably did me more harm than the iron levels!