Menu

Eerie (fatal accident trigger warning)

creekland

There's something really eerie about pulling up the news story on an accident that you personally saw the results of and finding out the victim was a 20 something year old male - esp when you were eating and having a good time with your own 20 something year old male when the accident/death occurred - immediately preceding the sight.

It's tough to get the vision of the body lying in the road out of my mind or the vision of his friends who had been with him praying.

I definitely have tons of respect for all the emergency personnel who deal with this on a regular basis.  Those wouldn't be jobs for me.

I'll also add that I'm glad none of my boys are interested in motorcycles.  This is the second time I've seen horrid results (in person) from a motorcycle accident.  Both were chilling.  Neither were the rider's fault.  They just paid for it.

And as drivers, wow.  We gotta really make sure we pay attention.  I can't imagine living with the thought of killing someone.  Someone (new) is living with that right now.

Not sure what the point of this thread is - just sharing the eerieness I suppose.  Hug your kids if you can.  Life can be short.

• Like 7

I'm very sorry that has happened. My DS16 fantasizes about having a motorcycle (for street; he already has dirt bikes) and I am not a fan. DH has one and had one when he was young, though he doesn't drive it often now; it's a special type of bike for admiring, not so much for driving around. My SIL paid my nephew to get rid of his street motorcycle. She promised to buy him a boat if he would sell the cycle.

Just so very sorry someone new faces this reality today.

• Like 2

I can still remember the dismembered body I saw as I was right behind a fatal CAR accident on a freeway at 1am in LA.  It was probably 25 years ago.  I remember it vividly and it still haunts me.  

I am sorry you had to see this and very sorry for those who lost a family member.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

My son took the bus to his girlfriend's house yesterday. After he left here for the bus stop, I took a shower, got dressed and sat down at my computer to read the news . . . only to see an article about a shoozing that happened the previous day at what I think is the same bus stop he uses.

The article didn't identify the exact location, but it gave the name of the street and some details about businesses nearby that strongly suggest it is the same one.

My brain immediately went into overdrive considering whether we shouldn't go ahead and move heaven and earth to get him a car, after all.

• Like 2

My mom had a similar experience. She came upon an accident where a young motorcycle rider had been hit and the ambulance was just arriving. She had to sit there in the traffic while the EMTs performed CPR on him. We later found out that he was going through an intersection and someone turned left in front of him. He didn't survive. My mom told me she has trouble driving through that intersection now. It reminded me to give motorcycles lots of room.

• Like 1

Driving anything is hazardous now. Its not just the cell phone distraction, its the massive amount of scofflaws. Yesterday's scofflaw for me was in the left lane, 5 car lengths behind a tractor trailer in the right lane approaching an intersectikn when the light went red. Tt was able to stop normally, scofflaw chose to go thru the red light. He is lucky no one came thru the intersecfion on his right, because their view of him was totally blocked by the tt.

I am sorry a life was lost so unnecessarily. I hope we come back to a world where people choose to obey the traffic law.

Edited by Heigh Ho

And as drivers, wow.  We gotta really make sure we pay attention.  I can't imagine living with the thought of killing someone.  Someone (new) is living with that right now.

I've thought this so many times and not just with motorcyclists, but people on bikes.  In our cities now, we have a lot of bike lanes that run right next to the cars on the main roads.  When a car turns right, it turns into and cuts across the bike line.  It would be so easy to run into a bicyclist if they happened to be in a blind spot at that moment and not seen.  

• Like 1

I had a kind of opposite experience.  I was involved in a motorbike accident when I was 17 - a car came out of a side road without looking and I went right over the top of the car.  I was knocked unconscious, had minor cuts and concussion.

A few weeks later I was waiting at a bus stop on the same road and chatting to someone in the queue.  She started describing the awful accident she had seen where a motorcyclist had been killed.  It transpired that the accident she was describing was mine.  In her mind, I had been dead for weeks.  An odd feeling.

• Like 6

I've personally known 1 20 year old killed on a motorcycle, 1 20ish year old who is now a vegetable in a nursing home, 1 40ish year old damaged on a motorcycle, but he can still walk, and 1 30ish year old who is permanently paralyzed from the waist down.

I met my dh when he took me for a ride on his motorcycle, but those years are long gone and I hate motorcycles now.

Creekland, that is eerie. Sobering. I agree that the people who respond to fatal accidents are pretty special people.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of them, either. Thankfully, dd doesn't seen to want one after she saw a guy wandering around disoriented in front of our house covered in blood and missing a good deal of skin because he'd wiped out on his motorcycle, cracked his head on the road, and in a daze decided to try to walk home. I'll be forever thankful to that guy for providing such a vivid lesson on what happens when you ride around without a shirt or helmet. (He was fine, btw.)

• Like 1

How sad!!! Accidents always shake me, a couple times we've seen the aftermath (blood on the road, butvdrivers not there anymore). I believe one time we did see someone who died, the body was covered :-(

Dh was wanting a motorcycle for a while...that didn't get too far. No way on earth.

• Like 1

We went to the Grand Canyon a few years ago. My dh absolutely ruined the trip with his anxiety about one of our kids falling over the side. The day after we left we read the newspaper at our hotel and a little girl did fall over the side and she died. She was the same age as my youngest and had the same name.

• Like 1

My SIL made my brother give up motorcycles once they had kids. Their agreement was that he could start riding again after their youngest daughter moved out. A few months after she left for college, he finally bought the bike he'd been saving for and dreaming about for years. He was hit and killed on the way home. :crying:

My SIL made my brother give up motorcycles once they had kids. Their agreement was that he could start riding again after their youngest daughter moved out. A few months after she left for college, he finally bought the bike he'd been saving for and dreaming about for years. He was hit and killed on the way home. :crying:

Oh my gosh!  I am so sorry.

• Like 1

Dh has a relative who was driving his motorcycle home at night in a rural area and hit a cow in the road. He didn't survive. I am not a fan of motorcycles either.

Sorry to hear about your relative.

We went to the Grand Canyon a few years ago. My dh absolutely ruined the trip with his anxiety about one of our kids falling over the side. The day after we left we read the newspaper at our hotel and a little girl did fall over the side and she died. She was the same age as my youngest and had the same name.

That has to be really eerie.  I feel for that family too.

How awful.

They've released more info about this guy who died.  He was the same age as my middle son.  This, of course, means we were going through the same milestones at the same time of life from pregnancy on.  My guy was eating dinner with us.  He was out for a ride with friends.

I really feel for his parents/relatives.

It was a 26 year old who killed him.  It didn't say whether she was distracted or anything else, but I feel for her too.  I'm sure she wishes she could turn back time.

How quickly life can change.

Motorcycles are no better or worse than cars, if the driver is intelligent enough, and never has the misfortune to meet a stupid/drunk/texting driver. 

It's this that made all the difference yesterday.  The motorcyclist did nothing wrong.  That part would have been the same if he'd been in a car, but in a car, it would have been a fender bender as cars have substance to protect their occupants in basic city driving like this was.  Chances are the driver of the other car would have been more likely to see a car too, but even if not, it still wouldn't have been fatal.

• Like 3

So sorry. It is hard. Really hard.

My dd can not work as a medic for a while because she is in treatment for PTSD after an absolutely horrific call in2015. I hope someday she will be able to go back to it because she loved her job. It was a calling to her.

I think I will go hug my boys.

As for motorcycles? YIKES! And my idiotic state repealed its helmet law. NO JOKE! I see people out riding without them all.the.time.

• Like 1

Yes, driving in a city sounds scary. I used to smirk when I'd see riders all decked out in bright jackets, etc, like they were racers. Then I learned that it's done so others can see them. Neon green and orange stands out so much better than a brown leather jacket.

It used to be (and maybe still is so?) that active duty military personnel were required to wear helmets and bright vests when driving motorcycles, no matter the time or day. Just an interesting tangent.

Edited by Kinsa

My dad died in a motorcycle. It was a horrific accident (It was strongly recommended I did not view the body after, obviously closed casket), but he died instantaneously. My dad was an excellent driver and had being riding motorcycles since before I was born. He was safety first, always, especially since several of his good friends had diet in motorcycle accidents in his lifetime. He was a few months from 50. You're just more vulnerable. No two ways about it.

Eta: when I say my dad was safety first, you really need to trust me on that. Very skillet and "intelligent"

ETA 2: I want to add that he had been drug and alcohol free for over a decade. There was no impairment issues either confirmed by a blood test (for life insurance purposes) after his death.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

My dad died in a motorcycle. It was a horrific accident (It was strongly recommended I did not view the body after, obviously closed casket), but he died instantaneously. My dad was an excellent driver and had being riding motorcycles since before I was born. He was safety first, always, especially since several of his good friends had diet in motorcycle accidents in his lifetime. He was a few months from 50. You're just more vulnerable. No two ways about it.

Eta: when I say my dad was safety first, you really need to trust me on that. Very skillet and "intelligent"

:grouphug:  I'm sorry.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your relative.

That has to be really eerie. I feel for that family too.

How awful.

They've released more info about this guy who died. He was the same age as my middle son. This, of course, means we were going through the same milestones at the same time of life from pregnancy on. My guy was eating dinner with us. He was out for a ride with friends.

I really feel for his parents/relatives.

It was a 26 year old who killed him. It didn't say whether she was distracted or anything else, but I feel for her too. I'm sure she wishes she could turn back time.

How quickly life can change.

:(

I remember hearing about a fatal motorcycle accident where a woman hit a deer, and the next day, a wrecker came through an intersection next to me carrying a damaged motorcyle and a dead deer. I grew up around the corner from someone who lost their leg in a motorcycle accident. With motorcycles, I could go on--I have no desire to ever park my rear on one for anything!

We semi-witnessed (saw cars skittering around, but not the impact) a fatal car crash at a big intersection. The woman who was killed was older (maybe 70's), and the person who hit her was a young immigrant man. He was horrified and a complete mess. DH went to render aid, but it was clear all the injuries were internal. A few weeks later, someone at Dh's work was talking about her husband's aunt's death. This woman had *known* she was going to die in less than a year, and she set about putting her affairs in order to the great consternation of her family who thought she was crazy--that is the woman who died in the accident we witnessed! 

Ex had a motorcycle wreck on the highway before we met. Thankfully he slowed, skidded, and dropped the bike. He had road rash that left a nasty scar and it cracked his helmet. I cringe when I see riders not wearing helmets or gloves. He never had a bike when we were together. 

there have been a rash of teen deaths in car accidents in the last few years around here, most of them NOT wearing a seat belt. Those get me and part of me is glad ds doesn't want to learn to drive yet. 

We happened upon an accident not too long ago where two elderly women were killed because they pulled out in front of a semi. The accident was mostly cleaned up, but the car was still there. 

• Like 1

Ex had a motorcycle wreck on the highway before we met. Thankfully he slowed, skidded, and dropped the bike. He had road rash that left a nasty scar and it cracked his helmet. I cringe when I see riders not wearing helmets or gloves. He never had a bike when we were together. 

there have been a rash of teen deaths in car accidents in the last few years around here, most of them NOT wearing a seat belt. Those get me and part of me is glad ds doesn't want to learn to drive yet. 

We happened upon an accident not too long ago where two elderly women were killed because they pulled out in front of a semi. The accident was mostly cleaned up, but the car was still there. 

In my dad's circles this was called laying down or lay down. It's an important thing to look into and be able to maneuver if one rides. I'm glad your XDH was okay.

• Like 1

We live in a no-helmet state...baffling as to why anyone would increase the risk by not wearing one?!  This tread is making me so grateful that my 18 ds has never shown any interest in motorcycles.  

I'm really glad none of my guys are the least bit interested either - hubby or boys.  I lost any interest I might have had after seeing the results (IRL) of a non-fatal, but still really gory, accident my senior year of high school.  It was another one where the motorcyclist wasn't at fault in a small city intersection.  The passenger in that accident lost the left side of her face (and more, but that's the part I really remember).  She should have had a helmet on and probably did, but it came off during the accident.  Perhaps it wasn't on correctly.  I don't recall following up on any of those details in those days.  I just remember the sight.  It etched itself in my mind and forever turned me off riding on a motorcycle.

I know this feeling so well.  I see a lot of sick and injured people who make me think of my own kids.  

I also lost a BIL to a motorcycle accident, 11 years ago as of last Friday.  He was in Florida, the land of libertarians who do not believe in helmet laws.  And his accident was completely the fault of the driver of the car.  He left behind 3 kids, 15, 12, and 7.  So-also not a fan.

Having worked many years in trauma/critical care, I really wish motorcycles and ATV's did not exist since with these vehicles there is nothing between you and the pavement which can lead to disastrous results:( Many of the ER doctors felt the same as me after caring for many patients in tragic circumstances. At least in cars, you have seat belts and airbags and the car between you and the pavement.

• Like 1

I also lost a BIL to a motorcycle accident, 11 years ago as of last Friday.  He was in Florida, the land of libertarians who do not believe in helmet laws.  And his accident was completely the fault of the driver of the car.  He left behind 3 kids, 15, 12, and 7.  So-also not a fan.

Sorry about your BIL and I definitely feel for his family.   :grouphug:

I'm not sure what the helmet law is in this state or if there was one involved or not.  We walked out of the restaurant to be greeted by emergency vehicles, the motorcycle, car, and body in the road.  Most of the body was covered, so nothing really gory this time (for us) - just the end fact coupled with the eerieness of the poor guy being the same age range as our sons - and ending up being the same age as the son we were visiting (discovered via newspaper article about the accident).  It hits closer when my thoughts range to the other guy's mom/family and their not getting to enjoy time with their guy anymore - very suddenly - esp as we were just enjoying time with mine.

We never know the future, so Carpe Diem certainly fits as a motto (as does Hug Your Kids when you can)!

Those of you who deal with these sorts of things (and other accidents, etc) on a regular basis definitely have my admiration.

I grew up in a very anti-motorcycle family.

My uncle had a horrible accident when he was in the Air Force that was not his fault and spent a year in the hospital. He wasn't expected to survive, but he did and went on to do the same thing he did in the Air Force as a career until they forced him into retirement. They did a really good job on him with pins and plates, but he always told me never, ever to get on a motorcycle.

A cousin of his in Germany was also killed in an accident that was not his fault. He was a twin, and his mother and brother were never the same afterwards.

We stay away from them.

Around here there are those who drive motorcycles safely but also, more recently, I have encountered groups of (I'm assuming) young people on motorcycles speeding at very high speeds, recklessly weaving in and out of traffic when there is no room to change lanes, going between cars in high traffic areas (driving on the line between cars in both lanes), or going around the cars on either the right or left shoulder. One will pass then another and another, none going through the traffic in the same way and far enough apart from each other that you think it is a driver alone until the next motorcyclist speeds past. This has happened four times in the past few months...once late at night in the dark on a very busy highway with both lanes filled with cars all going slightly over the speed limit. They come upon the car so quickly you almost don't even hear them until they pass and it leaves me shaking every time it happens especially when they drive on the line between my car and another because I think one slight weave of my car toward that line the motorcyclist just drove down and I could have killed him. At the speeds they travel there is no way they would survive a crash with a car and no way for a car to even know where they are.

My father always drove a motorcycle. He had a friend who was seriously injured in a crash where a car hit him head-on that happened in front of my dad when they were riding together and another friend killed in an accident because a car didn't see him. He was also in a couple accidents himself either because of a car or sliding on sand in the road but never seriously injured. I know to give a motorcyclist a wide berth when driving near them but those speeding, reckless motorcyclists are very scary to me as a driver.