Menu

What do you wear?

If you are someone that tries to look nice everyday, what do you wear? I really need new clothes. I'm down to one pair of jeans and a handful of plain long-sleeve knit tops. Where should I look for denim jeans that keep their shape? I don't want 'mom jeans' but I also don't want to show off my tooshie when I bend over to pick up a child. What is trendy but not too trendy right now? How do you balance buying quality vs. living on a tight budget? What are your favorite places to shop?

Bump.

My Levi's and my Old Navy jeans/pants all grow as I wear them, to the point I can take them off without undoing the fly (and it is NOT because I'm skinny!). I want jeans that aren't bagging off my butt by the end of the day!

AMEN!!

I have a sort of J-Lo-with-3-kids behind. I'd give my kingdom for pants that don't look like a droopy diaper by the end of the day!! Is that possible?

I usually wear Levi's jeans and I don't have a saggy butt in them. I think the key is that they have to be a smidgen tight when they come out of the dryer. Don't know, though. The bummer about the current jeans is that they waist is so low I have to wear a belt to keep the darned things up.

I also wear button-down blouses instead of knit tops, all from the thrift store. Eddie Bauer and Land's End blouses are often cotton but don't need to be ironed, so I always love finding those.

It's easy to find pretty wool sweaters and vests at our thriftstores and I have a nice collection.

This might seem silly, but I like to wear funky socks and cute shoes. And earrings and Burt's Bees tinted lipgloss and a nice scarf in the winter. That's my uniform and it works for me.

ETA: I also wear corduroy pants instead of jeans when I want to "dress up".

I love Ann Taylor's Loft. Wait for the things to go one sale, they will and you will get a great bargain. They have comfortable, soft shirts that I love and "yoga" pants that are great for everyday schooling but are still attractive.

I like Eddie Bauer as well. I think the trick is to find a store whose clothes fit your body right.

It's cold here today, I think I might NEED to go shopping.

I have been trying to dress nicer since I got elected to City Council. I don't think the sweats and/or hs mom jumpers do it anymore when I'm out in public, lol.

I have recently discovered Ann Taylor Loft and it is my new favorite clothing store.

Most of the time, on a normal day, I will wear nice (not faded) Lee jeans, and a button-down shirt, or a knit shirt and a jacket of some sort. I have a couple of nice denim jackets that can go dressy or casual. Sometimes, I wear a casual skirt and a similar top that I wear with jeans.

Ross Dress For Less is across the street from my ds' school, so I do a quick perusal there a couple times a month.

When I'm at the mall (not very often) I will walk through Nordstroms and get ideas for outfits, but I don't shop there very much.

I wear a lot of skirts- they make me feel pretty! I have a few DH calls my "fundamentalist skirts", but I like the below the kneww, flard skirt look. I wear a lot of printed skirts and tank tops in summer, sweaters or long sleeve tees in winter.Flats or flip flops or sandals, depending on the weather. (It doesn't get butt cold anywhere we've lived for the last 7 years, so I may revisit this look when we move again!)

I find cheap, nice skirts at Target, off all places. Ross is great, too. I like Target's costume jewelry too, to accessorize. I'm not a fashion plate, but I do look presentable most of the time.

I generally wear khakis with a nice top, jeans are too hard to find the perfect fit for me b/c they feel great in the store but after wearing them for hours they get droopy. I haven't learned the art of it's tight but later it'll be a good fit balance for jeans. Nice tops, jewelry and shoes are what make me look put together.

For my everyday brown shoes, I wear these. They are comfortable, sporty and nice looking and go great with khakis. I have a pair of black slip ons too that aren't as stylish but work just as well. I have two pairs of comfortable heels that I use to dress up any outfit- black Nine West and brown croc print. Honestly, I'd buy every color in the Nuncio Nine West, they are super s#xy.

I love Dress Barn for my tops, they have more trendier pieces but also classics ones, the price is moderate and the quality great.

There are things you can do with jeans to "customize" your fit. Especially jeans that stretch like crazy. Drying them can obviously shrink them but the results are usually temporary.

Buying them one size smaller than you're really comfortable with and then getting them damp dry and wearing them for 15 or 20 minutes is another (sitting and stretching to really break them in). Then hang dry.

I think anything higher than an 8" rise is going to be mumsy and anything lower than 7.5 is going to be underpants city but it will vary depending upon the length of your torso.

i usually wear jeans and stylish, cotton tops from stores like Gap. in the winter i have an assortment of cute, funky scarves and hats to choose from. i like black wool peacoats. for shoes, i keep on hand a pair of brown leather mary janes and a black pair as well and dress them up with nice socks. i don't like lots of jewelry for myself but do own a pair of nice diamond studs that i wear with everything. i keep my nails done (do them myself), it makes me feel pulled together.

I then wear long-sleeve T shirts (mostly black or purple) with nice J Jill sweaters/cardigans, bought on sale.

These are my favourite trousers at the moment.

Some of my T shirts come from Victoria's Secret: this may or may not fit with your idea of suitable. Others of my T shirts are plain, high-neck Ts.

I also have some stretch boot-leg jeans from The Gap that I like a lot: they are not cut low at the waist, but they are a nice shape. I don't skimp on shoes: my favourites are Eccos.

Laura

Edited by Laura in China

As someone else mentioned, I think finding a few stores where things fit you well is key. I actually recently went shopping for myself because I was down to a few pairs of worn-out tees & jeans.

Some of the things I found included:

a white blouse (I've been looking for one that I like for about 2 years now)

a couple of cami tops to wear under sweaters

a couple of sweaters, including this one

a couple of pairs of gaucho style/cropped pants (wider leg so it looks good w/ a boot), including these (I love them)

a skirt

a cable-knit wrap

a couple of plain tops

I made sure to get things that look nice for going out but that are also comfy enough to wear at home (and mostly machine-washable). I was searching for things that would go well w/ various jewelry pieces I have (chunky necklaces, bangle bracelets, etc...). I like wearing jewelry w/ an outfit.

Stores: TJ Maxx, SteinMart, sometimes Kohls (usually find jeans there), and Norm Thompson. I hesitated on buying from Norm Thompson because I had to order online, but I lucked out because their things fit me so well. If you do order from them (or anywhere), sign up first for their email newsletters as you will often get a discount emailed to you.

I like the look of clothing at Coldwater Creek but none of their things fit me properly. Chicos is another place to look, if you like their styles.

My next quest for clothing includes a cute, casual jacket that would go w/ jeans & a tee; and a pair of brown boots w/ a low to medium heel. Mainly, in winter, I wear flat or low-heeled boots w/ my jeans/pants/skirts. I hate wearing tennis shoes because of the way they look. The rest of the year, I'm usually wearing sandals.

Oh, and I used my coke reward points to get a gift card for ebags.com, where I found a new purse.

Enjoy your shopping!

Oh, and I don't know if this will apply or not, but I'll mention it....

I used to dress very stylishly & nicely. Then I had kids. My size changed & I think I totally forgot/lost my sense of style. I decided I was fed up & wanted to get my sense of style back. I checked out a bunch of books from the library about fashion, style, wardrobe makeovers, etc.... I didn't read all of them in depth, but it renewed my interest in what I wanted to do w/ my wardrobe & helped me define a direction (so that, hopefully, I'll add nicer things in that will last for a long time & will be wise purchases that I love). The books reminded me of things like mixing & matching (I knew this, but it's still nice to read some concrete reminders), choosing a one or two-color base for your wardrobe w/ one or two accessory or highlight colors, basic pieces you need for a mix & match/pulled-together wardrobe, etc....

It also made me realize what style I have now (even though I wasn't showing it), helped me weed old stuff out of my closet, and gave me some direction as far as starting out again to rebuild my wardrobe & my personal style.

Hang the jeans dry and most will not shrink in the dryer and then stretch out as the day wears on. Aslo 100% cotton will stretch out more than a blend.

Trial and error is the best way to find jeans that fit. When you find a winner, stock up.:001_smile:

AMEN!!

I have a sort of J-Lo-with-3-kids behind. I'd give my kingdom for pants that don't look like a droopy diaper by the end of the day!! Is that possible?

I'm not talking ultra low riders, but below the waist.:D They are more flattering than natural waist fitting jeans. Also, boot or flare cute is nice. This makes the jeans look nice, and gets you away from those mommy jeans.

I wear jeans from LL Bean. They have some a few styles. I like LL Bean because they sell Tall, and I need that.

I try to get a couple new tops every year. In the winter I layer. I wear a sweater or fleece over top my shirt.

In the summer, I wear capri pants and coordinating tops. For winter, I have longer skirts in olive, khaki, black, navy, brown and denim, and I have long sleeved tops in greens, browns, blues and black. I have a few big shirts I use as jackets when it's a bit chilly and I have a few cardigan and hoodie sweaters, as well. If I'm not going anywhere, I have some stretchy pants/leggings I wear with big shirts. I don't wear those out, though, and the public thanks me for that. LOL

I wear a mixture Lands End, Ann Taylor Loft, and/or Eddie Bauer

This is EXACTLY what I wear (we should go shopping together!). I would add Columbia. I'm real casual but I like looking stylish and "fitted" vs. frompy. I've finally made the move from quantity to quality. These brands all hold there shape well for me and are flattering.

I wear long denim riding skirts and khaki skirts most of the time. This is my newest skirt:

http://www.chadwicks.com/clothing/Denim-Riding-Skirt.aspx?PfId=149430&DeptId=8207&producttypeid=1&pref=ps&PurchaseType=G

I had to bite the bullet and just buy some new because I've had a hard time finding skirts in my size at thrift stores and local stores.

In the summer, I wear more lightweight skirts.

When I wore jeans every day, I loved wearing black tops -- black has a nice dressier element to it. I also wore Dockers khaki pants with navy blue a lot.

I also like sweaters like this with a white top underneath.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50841&CatID=50841&Grptyp=SIZ&ItemId=14b5916&cmRef=http://www.jcpenney.com/products/C036058.jsp

Edited by nestof3

I wear mostly jeans or black stretchy pants-like yoga pants usually w/ a button down shirt and if it's cold, I add a sweater, sometimes v-neck, sometimes a cardigan. I wear the same silver hoop earrings everyday and a nice ring. If I'm going out and want to look a little nicer, I add a blazer. It's pretty simple. If I had the budget, I'd change my style around a bit and add some variety. I find this lets me be comfy at home but still look put together if I need to run out or if somebody stops by.

First of all...ignore trends. You want classic pieces that suit your shape. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a pair of bootcut jeans in a dark wash. With an old t-shirt of a button-down top these will look great and shouldn't be too low rise. I also recommend find colors and styles that you feel fit your life. If you don't attend black tie events...don't buy evening gowns. Jeans, nice tops in both t-shirt styles and more dressy can easily be mixed and matched with trousers, jeans, and skirts. I do think every woman should have a great pair of black trousers, a great pair of jeans, a white button down shirt, and probably a wrap dress in a color or pattern you love. These look grea on every shape and size. Good luck. Clothes should be fun, not a chore.:)

It's easier for me to say what I don't wear than what I do wear. I don't shop at any of the places mentioned in this thread ~ Gap, Old Navy, Eddie Bauer, Ann Taylor, etc. Most people go around in clothing that's interchangeable with any other Joe or Jane; attire that has no identity whatsoever. That drives me bonkers. I don't buy clothes very often but what I do buy is unique to me, if that makes sense. It's not cheap, but I do think people on a tight budget can still build a "personal" wardrobe. An hour at Value Village is better than a day at the mall.:)

It's easier for me to say what I don't wear than what I do wear. I don't shop at any of the places mentioned in this thread ~ Gap, Old Navy, Eddie Bauer, Ann Taylor, etc. Most people go around in clothing that's interchangeable with any other Joe or Jane; attire that has no identity whatsoever. That drives me bonkers. I don't buy clothes very often but what I do buy is unique to me, if that makes sense. It's not cheap, but I do think people on a tight budget can still build a "personal" wardrobe. An hour at Value Village is better than a day at the mall.:)

Hum, sounds interesting ...would you share with us your shopping secrets?

Hum, sounds interesting ...would you share with us your shopping secrets?

No secrets. I frequent local, independent shops; that helps do away with the rubber-stamped mall look. Which isn't to say I never wear name brands. My mil has taken to gifting me with Roxy shirts.;)

If you are someone that tries to look nice everyday, what do you wear? I really need new clothes. I'm down to one pair of jeans and a handful of plain long-sleeve knit tops. Where should I look for denim jeans that keep their shape? I don't want 'mom jeans' but I also don't want to show off my tooshie when I bend over to pick up a child. What is trendy but not too trendy right now? How do you balance buying quality vs. living on a tight budget? What are your favorite places to shop?

I don't like jeans except for yard work/house work/farm work because of the sagginess issue.

Try looking for slacks instead -- anything from cotton khakis to nicer trouser styles. The more casual stuff looks extra nice everyday -- nicer than jeans -- just don't buy them in a "stretch" fabric or they'll be saggy like jeans, too. Casual slacks are just as easy to care for and wear as jeans, but it looks like you made more effort.

I go for more classic styles, but I LOVE accessories to give things 'personality.' Scarves, jewellery, belts -- you can get trendy stuff that suits your personality and doesn't cost a lot. Spend your money on good quality classic basics.

What I've learned about jeans is that you really do get what you pay for. After trying about 20 stores and buying 10 pairs of jeans that would stretch out after only a few hours on...I bit the bullet (on the advice of multiple friends) and bought a pair of Lucky Jeans. I do not spend money on many clothes - most come from Target - but these jeans are worth it!!! I said I would NEVER spend more than $30 for a pair of jeans and now I went and spent $100. You know what though...they do not stretch out - Not.one.single.bit! I now own 3 pairs of Lucky's and I've worn the same pairs for 3 1/2 years. I wear them most days. I supplement with a pair or two from American Eagle that are not too bad in the stretch dept. I also own a pair of two of khakis from Old Navy.

At Lucky I wear one of their low rise jeans b/c it truly is more comfortable for me and they look much better on me. After 3 c-sections I do not want any pair of pants covering my belly. It accentuates the mushy mid-section too much! :D

Lucky does sell some jeans that have much more of a traditional cut though.

Also I have found that by buying a few nice pieces (few pairs of nice jeans, a killer belt and a few nice shirts) and spending a little money there I can get by with filling in the rest with really inexpensive pieces and still feel/look great.

Hang the jeans dry and most will not shrink in the dryer and then stretch out as the day wears on.

I was wondering why I've never had this problem with regular jeans (only with stretchy fabric ones), and that's it! We don't own a drier -very few people her do - so all laundry is hung out to dry.

It's not cheap, but I do think people on a tight budget can still build a "personal" wardrobe.

Colleen,

Some people just don't have a need to wear something "no one else is wearing." I personally have no need to make any statement about my individuality to that extent through clothing -- surely the fact that no one else in the world looks like me says that enough. I wear what I like, and that is statement enough for me.

I buy most of my tops on clearance ($10-30) at Ann Taylor Loft and most of my jeans on sale at Old Navy ($15). I have gotten some cute tops and dress pants at Steve and Berry's ($8), and some long, embellished camisoles to go under everything ($3) at Wal-Mart. It's nice to have a good, ballet flat, and a nice, moderate heel. I look for quality shoes at thrift stores, and I also shop Nordstrom Rack and TJ Maxx for good shoes and a great price (under $45).

My favorite places to shop are:

Ann Taylor LOFT

TJ Maxx

Steve and Barry's

Nordstrom Rack

Old Navy (jeans)

Claire's store in an outlet mall (can get 10 items for $5 on redline)

Thrift stores.

I start with a plan, so that I can add to my wardrobe as I find deals without looking hodge podge. My list for fall was:

Dark wash trouser jean (Old Navy)

Dark wash slim jean (Old Navy

2-3 button-up, fitted shirts (Steve and Barry's)

black and brown dress pants in a modern fit (Steve and Barry's)

white trousers (Ann Taylor)

2-3 cute, tops that can be dressed up or down - (Ann Taylor)

3 long camisoles - I got grape, orange, and green (Wal-mart)

blazer (Ann Taylor)

necklaces and earrings from Claires redline (I go for the latest trends in accessories, since my clothes tend to be more classic)

trouser belt (TJ Maxx)

black heels (Ann Taylor)

black flats (Nordstrom Rack)

colored flat, red (Nordstrom Rack)

printed flats, leopard print (Thrift store)

various extra tops, shoes and purses from thrift stores

Once I have basics down, I fill in with extra things from thrift stores as I find them. It is better to start with a few basic pieces that fit you well and add as you can. Shopping on a budget requires planning and time, but you can look smart on any budget. The key is fit and a modern cut.

If you're not sure, Ann Taylor has wonderful service, and they will help you with no pressure. The items at Ann Taylor all basically go together, so there is no guesssing. I'd recommend putting that store on your list soon!

HTH!

Edited by Tami

:iagree:

Jeans are the key. I like the modern fit, with a bit of spandex because it eliminates the Sag Factor. I've had great luck with Old Navy's "Diva" line. If I go low rise, I also don't have to deal with puckering at the waist.

It's fun to look as good as I possibly can on a tight budget!

I don't really like wearing jeans, but I love wearing skirts. I have also rediscovered leggings and I'm having fun pairing them with long shirts or sweaters and my tall black boots.

This is my favourite store:

http://www.rw-co.com/collection/?sex=f

I also have a pair of sweats and some yoga pants - but those are for very lazy days.

I typically get up and get dressed first thing in the morning and usually have my hair and make-up done right away as well.

I'm still working on losing some weight, but I went through a couple of very frumpy years and I'm not going there again.

I am so uncomfortable in jeans. I've gained a few pounds over the years (most of it in the tummy area). I'm still considered average weight but jeans are very uncomfortable unless I've been wearing them for hours. The jeans are too tight on me but if I were to get the next size larger they would be way too big. During the summer I'm quite comfortable wearing nice shorts but in the fall/winter I end up wearing sweats around the house every day. I'll put on jeans to leave the house but put on my sweats as soon as I return home.

For a year, I was working six days a week taking care of rabbits at a shelter, so I wore raggedy stuff I didn't care about (in case it got stained or torn). I didn't bother dressing up when I wasn't going to work; it seemed too much trouble.

Now I'm not working there, and I've been trying to improve my wardrobe. My basic pieces are jeans, yoga pants, and some boot-cut cords (black, tan, and chocolate). I have several colors of t-shirts, and a few other cute knit tops.

Knit tops can be flattering, but sometimes if you've got a few pounds to lose and have big BOOKS, they don't look that great (ask me how I know). (Depends on the style.) Button-down shirts can be too much hassle, since I hate ironing. What I have found is that Kohl's sells some crinkle fabric button-down shirts that are SUPPOSED to be wrinkly! I take them out of the dryer, twist them up, and leave them lying there to dry (doesn't take long to dry; I live in AZ). They look nice with jeans, dressy pants, or a skirt. And no ironing!

I think it helps to ask a friend who always looks cute for some tips. One of my friends has gone shopping with me, and helped me figure out what looks the best on me. There are lots of books on style, too, at the library. (When I checked some out a few months ago, my son asked, "Why are you checking out books about fashion when all you wear is jeans?")

Earrings make me feel more put-together, too.

For slightly cooler weather, I just bought a cute 3/4-sleeve jacket from Kohl's. It looked cute yesterday with jeans and a top, and I will wear it over some of my short-sleeve dresses in the fall/winter. (I wear them with wedge sandals in the summer, then boots and a sweater or jacket on the winter.)

Also, a nice-fitting denim skirt can make you feel a little more dressed up, without being fussy.

My most recent pair of jeans are Lee jeans with a no-gap waistband. The waist is slightly below my natural waist, and the legs are boot-cut. There's a little stretch in the fabric.

Wendi

oh, i love my Wrangler stretch denim jeans!!

It is definitely a matter of finding the jeans/pants that fit YOU.

I have a longer inseam and need the extra couple inches in length. I wanted all the pockets and a regular waist. I hate tucking in my shirts so i get shirts that fit my shape well and don't need to be tucked in.

I get a couple pair a year [w/ thecoupons they give at check out] and look awesome in them --definitely no saggy butts :D

i end up cutting them off and cuffing the hem for capris when they finally get holes in the knees [i am pretty tough on clothes ;)...]. That's another thing --I like looking nice, but can't STAND wearing clothes that limit what I might want to do --spontaneous hikes, playing on the playground, helping someone change a tire, not having to freak out about a food stain, etc. i want my clothes to be as durable as I am.

But a nice pair of jeans, a cute top, and some brown boot/shoes are what i usually wear for meetings. I'll stick w/ T-shirts and tennis shoes for just out and about.

In the summer I usually wear denim shorts or capris, nicer tank tops, and sandals. My regulation ponytail and earrings and makeup work for me and almost any outfit/ outing.

good luck finding your groove ;)

:blush: looks down at slightly wrinkly t-shirt and thinks.... i'm so NOT the person to answer this question at the moment.

NOt that i'm changing it to go get my haircut in a few minutes! LOL!!

I know what i like, i know what i'd buy if i had the money.... but i live in $9 shorts from WM right now.

Guest janainaz

I wear whatever. Capris, jeans, shorts, sweaters, t-shirts, but never skirts - I can't move in them. I shop all over, no one store in particular. I don't try to keep up with style, but I do like to like nice if I'm going out.

An hour at Value Village is better than a day at the mall.:)

Yup, but what I find is that I end up wearing what other people wore five years ago from Big Box Stores. I could care less. I think I can at least show in a race for the Woman in America, Without Dementia, Who Cares Least About How She Dresses. Right now I'm flush with the granny dresses Target sold some years back. All cotton, comfy...as close to being nude at work as I can get, yet be well covered.

The trick to ValuVillage stores is, for me, run my hands down the dresses or whatever, stop and pull out anything that feels tolerable (cotton, wool, linen, I'm oldfashioned). If it has one stain, or does not fit me now perfectly, it goes back no matter how perfect or what a great deal it is. Okay, I will pay 99 cents for a perfect petit Eddie Bauer shirt and just give it to someone at work. It is a cheap thrill of mine.

I usually wear jeans or khaki pants (or pants of a different color such as gray or brown, but in a similar style). I wear a variety of different styles of shirts. I buy most of my clothes at American Eagle Outfitters or GAP, because I am very short and I can find clothes at those stores which fit me. Sometimes I find something at Maurices or a local boutique. I used to shop at New York & Company ( I think that was the name?) when we used to live closer to one.

I have some dressier brown pants and a really cute dressy black skirt which I wear when I want to be more dressed up.

I tend to try to buy classic pieces that last for years rather than follow the trends. For example, four years ago I saw a fitted denim blazer that was very classy and very me. It seemed a bit expensive, but I used my birthday money to purchase it, and I'm still wearing it four years later because it is a very classic piece that will probably never look out of style. And it goes with almost anything. I can wear it with a white t-shirt, a black button-down shirt, a brown dressy top, a black camisole, an artsy printed t-shirt, etc. I can pair it with jeans, khaki pants, brown gauchos, a black skirt, etc.

I did find one trend this summer that I loved, however, and that was the shirts and camisoles that were made longer and fuller. Some of them even remind me of maternity tops, but they really flatter my figure so much more nicely than tops that are too close-fitting. I'm not terribly overweight, but I tend to carry any extra weight right around my middle and tight tops really accentuate my "spare tire".

I think that finding some shoes and accessories that you really like can help with feeling more put together, as well. Two summers ago I found a pair of dressy brown slip-on sandals that I continue to really like. Last winter I found a great pair of black boots on sale that make me feel very dressed up. Dh has bought me a few necklaces and some earrings over the past few years that are really classy. I'm a pretty simple person; I'm not into having a lot of jewelry or thirty pairs of shoes, but I do like to have a few nice, elegant pieces that I really love.

Edited by gandpsmommy

Check out this link to Boden. it is a UK based company with FANTASTIC clothes.... you don't have to puchase from Boden but it will give you great ideas of what looks good together. They use lots of color and really mix and match to give traditional clothes a nice update! I am addicted to BODEN...

www.bodenusa.com

I checked out this website and I love it! That is definitely my style. Do they ever have sales? $78 for one shirt is a bit more than I'm accustomed to paying.

Colleen,

Some people just don't have a need to wear something "no one else is wearing." I personally have no need to make any statement about my individuality to that extent through clothing -- surely the fact that no one else in the world looks like me says that enough. I wear what I like, and that is statement enough for me.

Whatever floats your boat. Not as if any of this is an eternal issue. A question was asked; I answered.:)

Colleen,

I would say that, for me... this is where accessorizing comes in. It's easy to find unique accessories (or makes them). My outfits sans accessories are probably somewhat nondescript, but even without accessories, no one wears them quite like me (which is fabulously, if I may say so myself!) :D

I was down to a single pair of jeans and 3 pair of dressy trousers. Chemistry experiments and dry clean only? I.don't.think.so. But, having just spent all our wad on a major home improvement project, money is a bit tight right now.

Disclaimer: OK, I should admit it right now. I like the high-end brands. I do see a difference in fit, durability and material between clothes I've gotten at Target and brands that I've paid top dollar for. That said, my sister-in-law loves to follow the latest fashion trends, she regularly wears things for a seasons and gives them to charity the next, so Target, Wal-Mart, and the like makes a lot of sense for her. I, however, don't wear anything trendy. I like classics that never go out of style, so it makes sense for me to pay more and wear it for years (even decades). Therefore, I'll pay a very pretty penny on a great pair of perfectly tush-hugging, non-sagging, hot-momma-making jeans or some they fit so well I want to walk all day shoes. But since top dollar that isn't an option right now ...

Yesterday, two other hsing moms and I hit 7 consignment stores - 5 of which specialized in high-end clothing brands. None of us really enjoy the process of shopping and it took most of the day, but we had a nice leisurely lunch and it was a very welcome break from daily life. I was exhausted afterwards, but was able to find four pairs of great pants and a pretty knit top for about $75. (I also found 2 pair of ridiculously high-heeled short boots that made my heart flutter at an alarming speed - red and saddle brown - and a little tan Coach purse for another $100, but we won't talk about that. Everyone's got their weak points, right?)

We all set out to find certain things (pants, shirts and a spring/fall jacket respectively) and we all found the things that we really needed - and only a few things that we just really wanted. Definitely check out the yellow pages for Consignment Shops if you're looking for some great pants at a good price.