Menu

So what is the secret to these super creamy looking deli macaroni salads I see in the store?

SparklyUnicorn

I would buy them, but they always have onions in them.  So I want to make one that is so creamy.  That just never happens. It gets dry.  They don't taste bad, but just they don't stay creamy.  Maybe the creamy ones look better than they are, but I don't know how they do it.  Chemicals probably right?  So which chemicals do I need?  LOL

• Like 1

How do you make your macaroni salad?

I use my mom's recipe.  Macaroni, a large chopped green pepper, a large chopped tomato, and then Miracle Whip, which I just eyeball.  It has to be Miracle Whip and not mayo, but it stays plenty creamy.   

I have not made one in a very long time, but I always used mayo.

I severely dislike Miracle Whip though.  So if that is the answer..hmmm. LOL

• Like 2

Yes, lots of mayonnaise.  And, I think they overcook the macaroni a bit.

I love those salads. I bought some at the deli counter the other day. It was so good.  My family despises the stuff so I don't bother making it.

I keep hoping I'll find one without onions. 

I did read years ago a recipe that said to overcook the macaroni.  I haven't tried that yet.

My DH HATES Miracle Whip.  HATES it.  But won't eat the mac salad without it.  And I actually hate all mayo and miracle whip on ANYTHING.....except the mac salad (and mixed in with the mustard in potato salad.)  Mac salad is actually the only reason I even buy miracle whip. 

I think I've been traumatized by MW.  LOL  When I was a kid my parents were both in the hospital at the same time for oh gee 3 months.  So we stayed with an uncle and aunt who had no kids.  So they'd make us lunch for school and they made tuna with large chunks of raw onion and MW.  Now tuna I like ok.  Raw onions....I'd starve before eating them (they make me puke literally)...and the MW just put me over the edge.  So I tried to eat it the first time and I still can taste it over 30 years later.  GAG.  So I went without lunch for a very long time and since won't touch MW either.

The school finally contacted them to say we weren't eating lunch.  I was too afraid to say anything.  I didn't want to give them a hard time.  They just truly thought we'd enjoy the sandwiches because that was their favorite.  They did make something else after. 

And my husband tells a traumatic tale involving MW.  His grandmother when old had no taste buds after awhile so she'd make this macaroni salad that was basically a gallon of MW, a gallon of white vinegar, and a pound of salt.  He said it was the most vile thing in the history of vile things.  So he'd probably leave me if I bought MW.  LOL 

• Like 5

I think the problem you are having is that you need to increase your sauce.  The pasta absorbs the sauce over time.  When I make it, I make it a little extra saucy and then after it sits for 2 hour or so, the sauce is absorbed and it is fine after that.  

Maybe try one of the recipes from one of the southern cooks like Paula Deen, Hellmans mayo recipee Or Pioneer Woman.

The pasta absorbs all the water out of the mayo, and I have no idea what to do about it other than eat it right away.

I've wondered the same thing about pasta dishes.  How do the packagers produce a product that doesn't just absorb all the water out of the tomato sauce?

Is there a special thing they do to the pasta that stops the absorption process?

I honestly have no idea.  

Fortunately, one of the things I love about homemade macaroni salad is that it's dry!  You get all the wonderful flavor without all the slime!   :)  (You're not missing anything by not eating store bought macaroni salad.  It always has this weird chemical taste that leaves a metal aftertaste.  -- It's probably the chemical they use to keep the macaroni from absorbing the water from the mayo!)

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 1

I keep hoping I'll find one without onions.

I did read years ago a recipe that said to overcook the macaroni. I haven't tried that yet.

I think you asked for recipes in the recent-ish past? The Hawaiian one I linked overcooks the pasta and stays creamy. There may be green onions in the recipe, but that's an easy omission. :)

• Like 1

I always assumed it was because they are drowning in mayonnaise.

I believe they also add extra oil and vinegar with the mayonnaise.

I agree. There's no way that's JUST mayo (or MW, or sour cream.) Oil makes sense for the texture. Vinegar makes some sense for the tang, but I'm pretty confident many of them add sugar, too.

• Like 1

And the Miracle Whip/mayo argument is a big one in our house.  I absolutely cannot stand Miracle Whip and would rather starve.  Not that I use any mayo or mayo-ish product on anything but salads.  Dh can at least withstand real mayonnaise, even if it's not his first choice.  So you'll only find MW in my house when I'm feeling extra nice (and not so hungry.)

I think you asked for recipes in the recent-ish past? The Hawaiian one I linked overcooks the pasta and stays creamy. There may be green onions in the recipe, but that's an easy omission. :)

I did. I wonder if I missed it.  I don't think I got many responses.  I'll go look for it!

Thanks.

I think the problem you are having is that you need to increase your sauce.  The pasta absorbs the sauce over time.  When I make it, I make it a little extra saucy and then after it sits for 2 hour or so, the sauce is absorbed and it is fine after that.  

Maybe try one of the recipes from one of the southern cooks like Paula Deen, Hellmans mayo recipee Or Pioneer Woman.

I don't know.  I seriously HAVE used plenty...more than plenty of mayo.  There is something they are doing different in the store.  I just want to know what on earth it is!

I did read years ago a recipe that said to overcook the macaroni.  I haven't tried that yet.

Overcooking the macaroni makes sense because it would maximize the amount of water it absorbs while cooking, therefore minimizing the amount it would suck out of the mayonnaise/dressing. Rinsing it well in cold water would also get rid of any extra starch on the surface that would suck up liquid. (I never rinse pasta that's served hot, because in that case you want the sauce to cling to the pasta. With macaroni salad, it seems like you'd want the macaroni to be more "slippery" so the sauce doesn't cling to it so much.)

Pioneer Woman uses mayo, vinegar, sugar, pickle juice, and a little milk. But the key (to her recipe at least) seems to be to add only 3/4 of the dressing, then chill, then add the rest after it's absorbed some of the dressing.

• Like 6

My secret: hard boil some eggs. Chop the egg whites and incorporate them in to the pasta salad. Take the yolkd and beat them with some mayo and a hint of mustard and dill (and vinegar), or basically however you like your deviled eggs. Add that to your usual pasta salad dressing. It makes it SUPER rich and creamy, and seems less prone to drying out.

• Like 1

My secret: hard boil some eggs. Chop the egg whites and incorporate them in to the pasta salad. Take the yolkd and beat them with some mayo and a hint of mustard and dill (and vinegar), or basically however you like your deviled eggs. Add that to your usual pasta salad dressing. It makes it SUPER rich and creamy, and seems less prone to drying out.

That sounds good.  I'm going to try that.

I have like no idea but I wonder if you mixed the pasta with a little oil to lightly coat it first whether it would stop it taking up the moisture out the sauce? I'm the only one who likes it in our house so I never make it, but the recipe I like does have sour cream.

• Like 3

The whole MW Mayo thing is weird for me.  I used to only eat MW, I thought Mayo was gross. Then I bought Mayo for a recipe and suddenly started liking it.... now I can't stand MW and I've made the family switch too.  I started eating a lot of different things around that same time, especially vegetables. Anyway.... adding cream and even milk to the salad before you store will give the pasta something to soak up which makes the noodles fat and leaves a lot of "sauce".

ETA, and I do put oil on the pasta first so that could be a factor.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

It definitely does have onion.  There is even an onion on the picture on the label.

Hmm I just ate this last week for several days with my lunch and did not notice any onion. 

I just love how creamy it is.

Of course I have now moved it to my banned list with oreos and puffy Cheetos and trail mix. :-(

• Like 1

How do you make your macaroni salad?

I use my mom's recipe.  Macaroni, a large chopped green pepper, a large chopped tomato, and then Miracle Whip, which I just eyeball.  It has to be Miracle Whip and not mayo, but it stays plenty creamy.   

I just made this today and it was so easy and delicious!  I would have never thought to use Miracle Whip.  The one and only time I use It is for leftover Thanksgiving turkey on sourdough bread.  Thanks for posting your mom's recipe. 

Normally if I make macaroni salad, I just use Marzetti's cole slaw sauce that comes premade in a jar. 

• Like 1

The whole MW Mayo thing is weird for me.  I used to only eat MW, I thought Mayo was gross. Then I bought Mayo for a recipe and suddenly started liking it.... now I can't stand MW and I've made the family switch too.  I started eating a lot of different things around that same time, especially vegetables. Anyway.... adding cream and even milk to the salad before you store will give the pasta something to soak up which makes the noodles fat and leaves a lot of "sauce".

ETA, and I do put oil on the pasta first so that could be a factor.

I guess for me...I don't understand what MW is.  It tastes like nothing else to me.

Those of you who want to do more taste testing should try out 

Hampton Creek's Just Mayo 

& the Hellman's competition called Carefully Crafted (which came out just after they unsuccessfully tried to block Just Mayo from the market). 

Both are vegan - completely egg-free (& therefore cholesterol free)  (MW isn't) 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 1

And the Miracle Whip/mayo argument is a big one in our house.  I absolutely cannot stand Miracle Whip and would rather starve.  Not that I use any mayo or mayo-ish product on anything but salads.  Dh can at least withstand real mayonnaise, even if it's not his first choice.  So you'll only find MW in my house when I'm feeling extra nice (and not so hungry.)

In our house, it is Miracle Whip all the way.  My husband's dad tried to "Fool" him by making a sandwich with white stuff on it (He was sure DH really could not tell the difference between MW and mayo and was just doing it to be difficult) and not telling him what it was. After one bite, my husband gagged and refused to eat anymore. He can taste the egg in Mayonaise and can't stand it. He doesn't like French toast or such either. Only stuff where the egg is completely incorporated passes muster.  Since I grew up thinking "Mayonaise" meant Miracle Whip, we get along just fine.

Those of you who want to do more taste testing should try out 

Hampton Creek's Just Mayo 

& the Hellman's competition called Carefully Crafted (which came out just after they unsuccessfully tried to block Just Mayo from the market). 

Both are vegan - completely egg-free (& therefore cholesterol free)  (MW isn't) 

Hornblower, I love you, and I'm a former vegan, but those things are not in the same family as mayonnaise, lol. Hellman's mayonnaise is good because you can taste the egg in it. Remove the eggs and it is kind of pointless. But then, I never got into the whole tofu scramble thing either. Nothing really replaces the taste of egg. 

And eating cholesterol doesn't raise cholesterol. (eating fat may, but eating cholesterol doesn't). 

In our house, it is Miracle Whip all the way. My husband's dad tried to "Fool" him by making a sandwich with white stuff on it (He was sure DH really could not tell the difference between MW and mayo and was just doing it to be difficult) and not telling him what it was. After one bite, my husband gagged and refused to eat anymore. He can taste the egg in Mayonaise and can't stand it. He doesn't like French toast or such either. Only stuff where the egg is completely incorporated passes muster. Since I grew up thinking "Mayonaise" meant Miracle Whip, we get along just fine.

Ha! I grew up with mw and we called it mayo too! The first time I had real mayo I was so confused why it tasted so terrible.

• Like 1