Menu

This is not a JAWM post......

lexi

My hubby and I have talked about getting another dog for years. We had a pomeranian when we were first married. She passed away 7 years ago. I never thought I'd love having a little dog but I did. 

So......while my hubby would probably prefer a larger breed, I want another Pom and he agrees. 

I found a particular puppy that I want. She's not available to be taken home for another two months which is fine with me. That gives me time to prepare. 

However, am I crazy for getting another dog? I've thought about the time investment, the house training, the barking, the exercise, the grooming, the food, the vet visits and bills.....Help me think through this. Tell me what questions we should ask each other. 

Also, I need to find an egg, dairy, and gluten free dog food. My daughter has allergies to those things so I want to make sure the dog food doesn't contain them. It's challenging to find dog food without eggs though. Someone help me out with food ideas please!

And I would LOVE for you to share your favorite training and dog care articles, websites, books.....I have a few months before we get the dog (if we decide to do it) so I want to brush up on all things puppy since it's been such a long time since we've owned a dog. 

We've waited a long time until we thought we were ready for another dog and now that my husband is no longer in a job that requires us to move frequently we feel more comfortable with the responsibility. But I would welcome your thoughts as we discuss. 

Honestly?

We have two dogs and I've always liked one of them. (We won't discuss the other - she's very small and slightly more convenient even if she has the personality of a crotchety old woman.)  However, as he ages and requires more care (and has occasional accidents) and as my children age and require me to run mre, do more, exert more, I have grown to hate having a dog.

I hate to be the whiner but you said you wanted truth.... Our dog is our daughter's responsibility and I have to tell you, over the years, she has done great with him.  *However* she got him when she was about 12.  Now she's a college student and she's working 40+ hours a week this summer.  We've added four more children... And no one likes to change diapers, chase babies, AND clean up after a dog.

Our dog is probably one of the best dogs ever.  He is protective, loves the kids, loves us, lays at our feet 90% of the time, doesn't chew, doesn't destroy our house, etc.  

That said, I have an accident in the mudroom to clean up this morning.  It *might* sour my opinion this morning.  I really believe every kid should have a dog. However, even with living on an acreage with an underground fence where the dog can be out as much as he wants... He is still more effort than I want to be pouring into him right now.

Why does the dogs diet need to be restricted for your daughter's allergies? I am assuming your daughter is old enough to know not to eat the dog food.

If I was feeding a kibble based diet I don't think it is a good idea to restrict diet. If you went with a raw diet for the dog it would probably be easier to avoid the allergens

• Like 3

I think it's unwise to restrict a dog's diet from their normal items to fit the family.

No, I wouldn't get a dog if I couldn't feed it properly.

Wheat, corn, soy, dairy, and eggs wouldn't be necessary to a proper dog's diet.  Grains, especially, are against a dog's natural diet and should be avoided.

Eggs are a really good addition though.  Does she react to eggs only ingested or touching them presents a problem?

We fed our dogs raw for years and there are many sites devoted to raw feeding as it truly is the proper diet.  However, I distinctly remember adding eggs.  I suspect though they could be deleted and calcium or whatever was in the whole shell then supplemented.

• Like 4

I'm not opposed to doing a raw diet at all. I'm asking here because I want opinions on types of food or food options so I can make an informed decision.

No my daughter would not eat the dog food. But if the dog is eating egg daily and then licking my daughter, she could have a problem with hives and itching.

• Like 3

Honestly....

From looking at the ages of the kids in your siggie, I don't know that now is the right time for a dog for your family. Housetraining those small dogs is VERY challenging.

My dogs are outdoor farm dogs and puppies with very small ones was really hard.

And even if you're thinking for the future, your kids won't need you LESS as they get into the teen-preteen years--they'll need you MORE. More time, more attention, more nagging...I had no idea when I had littles how hard those years are. I'm in the midst of them myself.

• Like 3

Orijen 6 Fish has none of the ingredients you listed. I think it's great food, and my dogs thrive on it, but it's not cheap. We get it at Agway. I think for every ten bags we get one free. You can also get it online. I think chewy.com was the most reasonable.

Our holistic vet says the best diet is one you make yourself. I don't have it on me, but it's mostly chicken (he buys in bulk, cooks, grinds, and freezes) and some other things. I think he added fish oil. You can Google; there are a lot on the internet.

We adopted two dogs from a homeschooling family moving out of the country. It was a spontaneous decision. I was looking for a smaller dog (just one) that wouldn't shed and ended up with two large dogs that do shed. If I had thought too much about it, we never would have done it. However, they are truly part of our family now and I can't imagine not having them.

The most difficult thing for us has been vacations. We tried them in a very good kennel, but one of the dogs has some anxiety issues, so even though they were together in a double sized run, she still freaked out a bit. And boarding is expensive! We are lucky that we can take them some places ( dh's family has a beach house) but for other trips we had to find someone who could come to the house multiple times a day. Or, for longer trips, my SIL can watch them. They have not been a huge expense. We go to a holistic vet who is very reasonable. Their food is expensive but we are affording it. We selectively vax or use homeopathic versions. We don't groom. We clip their nails. The kids do take them for walks, which is a win-win.

Good luck with your decision. Some of it just has to be what your gut is telling you, I think :)

I agree with the pp that you should probably wait a few more years.  That many small children will make properly training a puppy a bit of a nightmare.  

I love our dog.  A lot.  But she drives me insane with the shedding, and the weird medical issues she has.  (allergies, anxiety, etc.) 

• Like 1

I love dogs. And cats.

When we first moved here, we got two of each, and have since lost 3 of them.  Combined with my last baby no longer being a baby, I did adopt another dog.  As much as I am in love with that little rat, I do keep asking myself what I was thinking!!!

Honestly, I could have used a real break.  Our lives are so busy right now and, while the dog does get enough attention across our large family, it's not nearly as enjoyable as it was when we had more of a homebody lifestyle.  Even the remaining cat is kind of a PITA in his old age.  When we have to say goodbye to him, I plan on going cat-free at least until we launch a few kids.

(I should probably tattoo this somewhere on my body while I still believe it!)

• Like 1

Get the dog. Before ex and I had ds, we had dogs, 1, 2, of 3 Siberian Huskies at a time. As they passed away we didn't get another dog. For two years I debated on getting on, ex didn't want one. Finally he relented and my lab is about 12 years old now. She was born in December and we took her home at about 8 weeks old. Potty training in the winter wasn't fun, but I don't regret getting her. If you know the breed temperment, it can be easier. I had not had a lab before, so I had to read up a bit. But she is my dog, I do most of the work taking care of her, she sleeps on my bed, and follows me around the house. 

I would call around and price vaccines and neutering and all the treatments (flea, heartworm, etc) that will be needed. I would also seek out the highest quality dog food, especially for a small/toy breed dog. 

I'm a dog person though. There is nothing like coming home to a dog that is excited to see you. Ex lived out of state for a few years after our separation/divorce. When he came to visit for the first time, the dog went ballistic, she was so excited to see him. It really helped ease the tension of the day. 

• Like 2

Also, I need to find an egg, dairy, and gluten free dog food. My daughter has allergies to those things so I want to make sure the dog food doesn't contain them. It's challenging to find dog food without eggs though. Someone help me out with food ideas please!

There are plenty of dogs with allergies, so you will have no trouble finding a food that meets your daughter's needs.  You will just pay more for it.  Go to a specialty feed store and you will find lots of options.  None of those three things are necessary for a well-rounded diet, the nutrients could easily be gotten from other ingredients.  I started making my own food during the massive pet food recall years ago, but it was an enormous job.  You have to be so careful to balance nutrients, particularly for a small dog.  I think it's worth the money to just get a good food.  

I couldn't do raw.  I simply couldn't stand the idea of the dog touching me with raw chicken or beef on its paws and face.  Maybe if I had a strictly outdoor dog?

I have an allergic dog.  One upside is that if you feed them dog food free of common allergens, they will be less likely to develop allergies.

Look for treats without the allergens, too.  Dog biscuits were giving me hives from handling, so I had to find wheat-free ones.

On the other issues, I have one elderly (13.5 yo) and one with multiple health issues.  I find dog ownership completely exhausting.  I can't imagine even considering it with the ages of your children, but YMMV.

If your sig is correct... you have 5 kids, another on the way, and you homeschool.  I would take a serious look at your life and how a puppy will fit into that. 

We loved our dog but when he died, I had to admit to myself that mixed with the grief of loss was a bit of relief.  We still miss him 3 months later, but there is no denying that life is easier in many ways.  And I have two teenagers who could take care of him as well as I could (if not better).  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

I am 7 months into a puppy and am not having fun with it.  It's like having a baby, all day every day, that can't come on vacation with you. I'm not saying I regret it but it sucks right now. 

I am vegetarian and (hope its needless to say) my dog is not.  I wouldn't worry too much about people allergies. Discourage face licking because, yuck. That's not a natural dog behavior anyway, dogs only do it if they think their owners like it.

Orijen 6 Fish has none of the ingredients you listed. I think it's great food, and my dogs thrive on it, but it's not cheap. We get it at Agway. I think for every ten bags we get one free. You can also get it online. I think chewy.com was the most reasonable.

This is the food I use. Great food but pricy so you need to be prepared. 

BUT....  if you are expecting a new baby...  I would seriously consider waiting until things are settled with the new addition until adding a puppy.  It would not be fair to the baby, the puppy or you.   And the puppy will be the one to lose.  

SaveSave

• Like 1

Curious if you're expecting or you have a new baby?  Either way, I would not get a puppy until your youngest is sleeping through the night and is receptive to learning how to treat a dog (like preschool age).  Even your oldest child I wouldn't consider old enough to be a primary care giver without a bunch of follow up and supervision. 

I have a cat that needs special food right now.  $$$$. 

• Like 1

I can't imagine NOT having a dog. We've always had 1-2 dogs at any given time, and when our elderly dogs have passed away, we didn't hesitate to go adopt another dog, so I vote for getting one now. I think it's good for kids to grow up with pets, and it's just one of those childhood experiences that I wanted my kids to have. 

My one caveat is that you might consider not getting a puppy at this point in your life. There are lots of older dogs available for adoption who are already house trained and out of the frenetic, crazy puppy stage. There's something to be said for older, mellow dogs!

As for food, we feed kibble now, but we used to feed a raw diet to our previous dog and he did beautifully on it. 

• Like 2

I'm not opposed to doing a raw diet at all. I'm asking here because I want opinions on types of food or food options so I can make an informed decision.

No my daughter would not eat the dog food. But if the dog is eating egg daily and then licking my daughter, she could have a problem with hives and itching.

Ah, got it. Please pardon my living with allergies ignorance.

Get the dog. We have added dogs and children at the same time. It has been easier than expected (except for the elderly dog we inherited who did not work out). The kids love the dogs, and do most of the work. Little dogs are not a lot of work. Ours do travel with us. 

We like 4Health grain free. No gluten, no eggs. Great, healthy skin and coat and healthy body weight. It's cheaper than comparable foods. We find they eat less and poop less on higher quality foods.

Puppies are a pain, but if you put in the time training it is well worth it.  You can take dogs on a vacation with you but will look like a different vacation than not having a dog.  There are plenty of hotels that accept dogs especially smaller ones but we have had larger dogs and there are still plenty of options.  We have boarded a dog now and then or put them in a doggie day care place for a day, but mostly the dog goes with us.  They are a lot of work and there is a lot of rewards too.  Dd has learned a lot and they have been great playmates.  She is taking on more responsibility with the dog and that helps.

I would jump off of a bridge before I added a puppy to that many young children, but that's me.

For some people, the joy of the dog will outweigh the added chores, but you do have to be able to actually manage getting those chores done. For me, the basics would get done no matter what, but I know that proper puppy training would not occur. 

My other concern would be the brand-new baby. It would stress me out to always be checking on where the dog is in relation to the baby. Even when you have a good plan for keeping them apart, I'd be worried about one of the kids foiling that plan, or the gate breaking, or whatever. (I see now that you are waiting a few months no matter what, but it would still be a worry for me). 

Will the puppy max you out? It's important to leave some resources in reserve for the unexpected. If one of the kids breaks an arm or gets quite ill, can you still handle the puppy? If you break an arm or get quite ill, can someone else handle the puppy? 

I vote for waiting a while. You can always get a puppy, but it's much harder to un-get a puppy once you have it. 

I had a puppy and a baby at the same time (note I did not say that I birthed both of them. :)  )  I love dogs and am experienced with them but there were a few times when I almost said the dreaded "it's the dog or me".  But so much depends on your stamina, your resources, the personality of the dog (our puppy was wild even for a puppy) etc.  I'm not sure that anyone can totally answer that for you.  I do think the advice to look for an older dog even if it is still only a year or two old might be worth looking into. 

Why does the dogs diet need to be restricted for your daughter's allergies? I am assuming your daughter is old enough to know not to eat the dog food.

If I was feeding a kibble based diet I don't think it is a good idea to restrict diet. If you went with a raw diet for the dog it would probably be easier to avoid the allergens

I was going to mention raw as well even though I could not quite make the connection between the dog food and your dd's allergies to gluten. Does she have a reaction by touching it? May sound naive but I don't have issues with allergies so I really don't know.

Raw is easy but usually costs a little more. A pom is not very big so the food bill difference would be minimal if any.

I vote yes IF you're prepared to be the primary caregiver and have zero expectations of anyone else in your family being involved. If they end up being involved, great, but don't count on children or spouses.

So, if you're ready to have another baby for a couple months and then essentially a toddler for the next 13-15 years, then go for it. 

Feed it raw. 

kikopup is one of the best resources; Here's an entire playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF26FD559887E7EA4

Also, I posted this little instagram video on the 'elitist' pet thread but I'm not sure you saw it. It's from the instagram feed of the new pom puppy acquired by the giant actor who played The Mountain on Game of Thrones (which I've never seen but I love the instagram feed LOL). Here he is clicker training a recall with his little pom. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGXk6cRPw1M/

Also in that same thread way back I talked about setting aside money &/or buying insurance etc. Think about the financials. 

I'm guessing you're on the waitlist from a breeder? Make sure you've investigated a breeder thoroughly. In that same thread I listed what makes a breeder reputable...  

(ugh, that youtube link was finnicky but it's working now!) 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 2

If you truly want a dog and are prepared for the work it involves, then I would get the dog.  For me, a dog is worth all the work, money, etc.  That said, we got our latest when my youngest was one and it was harder than I expected.  You can find tons of healthy dog food that meet your criteria.  We use Fromm now, but we have also used Wellness.  I would take the puppy to a formal puppy class.  The socialization and training in a good class are well worth the time, money and effort.

Suzanne

My dog is allergice to lots of things and eats Natural Balance Duck and Potato canned food and Potato and Duck dry food.  He even gets duck dog treats.  You can find a  lot of dog foods without those ingredients. Mine was harder since he was allergic to wheat, beef, chicken, oatmeal, dairy, etc.