Menu

What age for smartphone and why?

Janie Grace

At what age did you get dc a smartphone (if you did)? Ds15 wants one so badly. I think dd was about 15 when she got hers but we are more wary with ds (p*rn access potential). It's a smartphone world, so I feel it's inevitable at some point. Dh would like to delay it as long as possible...

Eldest didn't have a *smart* phone until 18, but there wasn't a big reason beyond she already had a suitable dumbphone. Second child got an iPhone at 14 (the age DD got the dumb phone), mostly because having a dumb phone is such a passé concept. IOW, as I was getting him *some* kind of phone at that age, it makes sense to get a desirable phone.

I plan to stick with 14 for my youngest, too, but even 14 is "old" by most standards around here.

I didn't  get my kids a phone until they were regulary going places with a variable and unforseen schedule with no phone available to be able to call me otherwise while still a student.  if they wanted a smart phone, they were welcome to pay for it themselves.

dudeling doesn't even have a phone.  (he has peoples old smart phones that are 100% dependent upon Wi-Fi.)

• Like 4

Around age 14. We were just getting to the point where he was going on more trips or just not at home for long stretches, and I was texting the dumb phone too often to check up on him. So we upgraded to smart phone (though used parental controls to block internet) so I could track him without bugging him as much. It was all about my issues. :)

• Like 1

We have spare used smartphones so we are thinking of activating one as a spare for our kids. Because my kids do tend to wander on the internet, we would have to block internet and access to app store.

There are times where my kids are at the neighborhood library while I do a quick dash to the supermarket next to it. Takes me 15mins but hubby thinks it would be better to leave a phone with our kids just in case.

When they get one would depend on their maturity.

Dd (almost 16) really could have used one for freshman year of high school. There was a band field trip for 3 days to Seattle and the old dumb phone her dad gave her was too difficult to use to text (you had to use the number pad hitting each key the right multiple of times for each letter--ugh). So we just didn't hear from her. Then there were also times where the ending time for activities changed and she couldn't easily let me know. We got her an older model iPhone for her birthday when she turned 15. It's been a very good thing and this kid isn't so enamored with technology or connectedness so there have been no problems. So we'll probably get one for her sister before high school begins. Her birthday is in December, but we're not sure we want her to have one 9 months before we need it. That kid IS enamored with technology and connectedness and we'd probably never get her off the thing unless we confiscated it.

Short answer: about freshman year of high school! Age 14 or 15.

• Like 2

Oldest DD got my very old smartphone when she was an older 11. She was regularly going to classes or other places with other people, and I wanted her to be able to text me (and I was getting a new phone anyway). We have no home phone, so youngest DD (then an older 8) inherited her old dumb phone. I felt better knowing they each had their own phone when they were home alone together. However, that old smartphone was SO old that eventually it would crash when she tried to make or answer a phone call, so she got a new (but cheaper, older model) Android phone this past Christmas. 

I'm comfortable with her having it at this age, but we're definitely starting to butt heads more over usage limits. She hasn't had any, and I'm getting fed up with the constant "face in the phone," so we're currently hammering out some new rules. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

The older kids got dumb phones when they started needing to be dropped off at activities. They got the smart phones with data when they were 16 and driving..

DD15 got a hand-me-down smart phone when she started 8th grade (13?) because I needed a way for her to reach me when she was at her music classes.

Oldest DD got my very old smartphone when she was an older 11. She was regularly going to classes or other places with other people, and I wanted her to be able to text me (and I was getting a new phone anyway). We have no home phone, so youngest DD (then an older 8) inherited her old dumb phone. I felt better knowing they each had their own phone when they were home alone together. However, that old smartphone was SO old that eventually it would crash when she tried to make or answer a phone call, so she got a new (but cheaper, older model) Android phone this past Christmas. 

I'm comfortable with her having it at this age, but we're definitely starting to butt heads more over usage limits. She hasn't had any, and I'm getting fed up with the constant "face in the phone," so we're currently hammering out some new rules. 

One rule I wish we had enforced was that *everyone* put their phone away at 10:00.  

And don't be afraid to be hard-core as you need to be.  Take it from one who wishes she had been.  

If you are concerned about data use, you can do a lot to control it with an app from your carrier (prices vary).  Even so, with all the cities in the universe installing free wi-fi everywhere, it is a bit of a losing battle.  

Note that not everyone will have issues, so I'm not issuing a universal proclamation.  But when there is head-butting going on, that is an issue and might indicate over-dependence on the phone/technology.  

One rule I wish we had enforced was that *everyone* put their phone away at 10:00.  

And don't be afraid to be hard-core as you need to be.  Take it from one who wishes she had been.  

If you are concerned about data use, you can do a lot to control it with an app from your carrier (prices vary).  Even so, with all the cities in the universe installing free wi-fi everywhere, it is a bit of a losing battle.  

Note that not everyone will have issues, so I'm not issuing a universal proclamation.  But when there is head-butting going on, that is an issue and might indicate over-dependence on the phone/technology.  

Thanks for your input. This is pretty much where I am right now. In a way I hate to do it, because her friends are most active via their phones between, say, 9 and midnight, and that's when a lot of their discussion and bonding are done, and I do know it's just not the same to read the discussion the next day when it's all done and over with. But yeah, something has to change, and that's really where we're headed, I think. I'm not worried about data usage, because we have a generous plan due to DH's dependence on his phone and texting for work, but I've started turning off both the data and the household Internet between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. We're making slow but steady progress. 

Sorry if we're hijacking, OP!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

DD got hers about 15yo.  

DS didn't want one until we bought him one and activated it for him about age 19/20..  LOL We wanted him to have it for access to Google Maps. It was a safety issue since he drives in the city quite often and he goes off in the mountains hiking.  

Older 3 got a really simple not smart phone when they had to start traveling80 km each way a day on public transport.

They got themselves a smart phone when theywere18 or over and were either at uni or working full time.

Dd16 will get a not smart phone towards the end of this year when She has to go and granny sit my grandmother for aweek inmelbourne while he partner has an operation.dd does not know Melbourne at all.

I have a not smart phone that both Dh and I share.

I tried sending a simple text from DD13's flip phone today, and now I understand why she can't stand texting on it. It was such a pain that I couldn't even finish, and I used to be super fast on those!

She uses my husband's old iPhone 4 as an iPod right now, and I might consider connecting it up with phone service for her 14th birthday and giving the flip phone to ds11 when he turns 12. But then again, when I suggested that option to her she had a bunch of reasons why she would be frustrated with the iPhone 4. So maybe she can just deal with the dumb phone indefinitely. 😜

DD and DH both have a fairly inexpensive smart phone (I think they were $99 each). She got hers at 11.5, for Christmas. I mainly wanted her to have a phone since she is now in school 15 miles from home. Also, she has significant sensory issues that she partially manages by playing music, and she has some other apps on the phone that help her. I got her the same style phone as DH, since he wanted a basic smart phone for work, and DD can help him understand how to use it!

Kids had dumb phone when they started going to activities on their own (11-13).

We got smart phones a year ago in May when dh had calculated that it would actually be cheaper for us to all have smart phones. I don't know how he worked it. He bought the phones outright from a third party and found a plan that worked. And though we do have unlimited data, our cell phone costs are cheaper now.

Dh did this calculation about once a year for the last 4 years and last year was the point it worked in our favor. Dh had a smartphone, but smartphones were obtained for others at ages 49, 20, and 17. Youngest has disabilities and hasn't learned to use a phone.

The smartphone decision was purely financial.

• Like 1

Dd (almost 16) really could have used one for freshman year of high school. There was a band field trip for 3 days to Seattle and the old dumb phone her dad gave her was too difficult to use to text (you had to use the number pad hitting each key the right multiple of times for each letter--ugh). So we just didn't hear from her. Then there were also times where the ending time for activities changed and she couldn't easily let me know. We got her an older model iPhone for her birthday when she turned 15. It's been a very good thing and this kid isn't so enamored with technology or connectedness so there have been no problems. So we'll probably get one for her sister before high school begins. Her birthday is in December, but we're not sure we want her to have one 9 months before we need it. That kid IS enamored with technology and connectedness and we'd probably never get her off the thing unless we confiscated it.

Short answer: about freshman year of high school! Age 14 or 15.

This was very similar to how we did it. For soccer games, DD would often have to call me about different details or changes and always had to borrow one from somebody. When she did get an iPhone (at 18) it was not the newest model. When I got an iPhone for DS (at 14), his was not a newer model, either.

Eh, my 12 year old has one.  It was cheaper to add him to our plan ($15/mo) than to deal with a prepaid.  

I am not really restrictive with this stuff.  I am not naive either.  So far my children haven't given me reason to distrust them.

• Like 3

My kids don't have one yet as they rarely need to contact me.  If they are home and I am out, there is the land line.  If they are out, there is a 100% chance the are with someone who has a phone to call. Like yesterday, when my son called me on an adult's phone to let me know his Scout group was coming in a few hours earlier from their trip (They posted the same on Facebook). They haven't asked for one as they both have ipods (or defunct phones that act like ipods in the case of my younger). Their best friend has a phone, but after the first week the novelty already wore off of texting (my son used my phone) - boys.  But as they go off to high school, as my oldest will in 2017, I will most likely get them a phone as he will be away from the house a greater portion of the day with the possibility of activities which have various pick up times. 

Edited by J&JMom

My 21 year old maternal nephew is the Pokemon fanatic. He has the first 200 Pokemon mini figures from his childhood. I was thinking of downloading the app.

DD got a dumb phone when it started being useful to me-she was being dropped off on a college campus to do lab stuff, but officially couldn't walk across campus alone due to age. So, she got a phone so I could wait somewhere more comfortable, and she could let me know if I needed to come get her, or, conversely, if she was going to walk across campus with other students to the lounge or library, I knew not to come get her (and where to find her later). At 11, she got a smartphone, again, more for me-I put her on a different network so, when we were in remote areas, the GPS app had more chance of working. The one I bought has pretty much no memory for apps, so it's just the system apps, plus she can put music on it and use it as a camera.

She wants an iPhone. I've told her she can buy an unlocked phone and use it on her network if she wants, but itMs up to her to come up with the money, and I'm not paying more than her basic plan, so if she wants data beyond when I choose to turn it on, she'd have to pay for that, too.

She has social media for her projects, but not personal friends on social media.

Edited by dmmetler

Eh, my 12 year old has one.  It was cheaper to add him to our plan ($15/mo) than to deal with a prepaid.  

I am not really restrictive with this stuff.  I am not naive either.  So far my children haven't given me reason to distrust them.

+1

Our oldest was older as smart phones were more expensive when he was that age, but our youngest got his at 12.

• Like 1

My kids got phones when they were out of the house at activities where it was convenient for ME to have that method to get a hold of them.  For my dd that was 10 and for ds that was 13. 

That said, we have republic wireless $10 plan.  They have unlimited text and voice but no data.  They have smart phone capabilities but need wireless to use them.  I have no intention of paying for data for them ever unless it becomes cheaper.   Heck - DH and I have the same phones - no data. 

No phones in bedrooms ever.  Charging station is in the main area of our house where phones need to be left every night.  I had each kid break that rule once and the following weeks without a phone was enough to keep them on the straight and narrow.   My son is 15 now and p*rn has never struck me as an issue.  But like I said, tech is used in the main area of our house. 

My dc are weird :lol:  especially the oldest.  He has never wanted a phone.  I did get a flip tracfone for them to share when they went places (mostly they go together) but oldest is forever forgetting it.  He finally said the other he might want a phone since he and his brother do a few things separate now.  Do you know what kind of phone he wants?  A flip phone.  He says "I am not texting anyone so I don't need anything except to call you and tell you where I am". So $10 for the phone and $20 for 90days service.  Can't beat that.

I am saying weird because when both mentioned to their ball teams they didn't have a phone they said the whole team stopped and looked like they were nuts.

Edited by Baseball mom

My dds each got a cheap prepaid dumbphone for their 12th birthdays, because their dance schedules were hectic and I felt better knowing they could contact me anytime they wanted.   They now have hand-me-down iphones without cellular service (wifi only), but with my parental controls that limit the internet and require my approval for any app downloads.  They each got one around age 13.  My older dd will be getting cellular service for hers in the next month or two, and she will be 14.  I intend to keep parental controls on the phone, though.

For a 15 yo ds, I would be inclined to be ok with allowing a smartphone, but with the caveat that it might be monitored occasionally by you (not invasively).

At what age did you get dc a smartphone (if you did)? Ds15 wants one so badly. I think dd was about 15 when she got hers but we are more wary with ds (p*rn access potential). It's a smartphone world, so I feel it's inevitable at some point. Dh would like to delay it as long as possible...

About that age, but with parental controls established.  Of course, this was back in the dark ages when you got a lower cost phone for renewing your contract. 

I wouldn't assume one's son could be more tempted than one's daughter at all. 

We gave ds1 dh's old phone when he went to public high school. They are allowed to have phones in school but can't take them out in class unless they ask permission.

It has made our lives SO much easier!  It's so nice to be able to keep track of where he is etc.  Much less trouble with missing phone calls due to changed plans.  If he is a friends house and he wants to go somewhere else he can just text us. Before that, neither of us had a phone, so if I was out of the house he was out of luck.  Texting is nice because we can have a more private conversation.  He has occasionally texted me and asked me to say no to something so he can tell his friends he can't do something. I'm always happy to be the bad guy to help him save face, kwim? That would be more difficult with a phone call.

Plus, with the iphone there is 'find my iphone', which is a locator for the phone.  If I ever have any concern about where ds1 is, I can use the location app to get an exact location.  As long as he has his phone I know where he is. I like that.

About that age, but with parental controls established.  Of course, this was back in the dark ages when you got a lower cost phone for renewing your contract. 

I wouldn't assume one's son could be more tempted than one's daughter at all. 

Not assuming. It's based on knowledge of both of them.

There's a new phone coming out that is just a phone. No texting even. You can use it alone or you can forward calls from your smartphone. It's about 5 credit cards thick and about that size.

Google LightPhone. If it had texting I would be in.

My dd has a smart phone. We took the internet off and password protected it.

My ds is getting a smart phone and will have internet access as he'll be 18 in less than six months.

We don't give internet access without filtering or Covenant Eyes to our teens until they are 17.

Edited by Jaz