Menu

Where have your kids traveled to?

mommyoffive

without us . . .

1dd has been to italy, at least twice.

2dd lived in chile for 18 months

1ds has been to istanbul (never again, won't go into why), and germany

we've all been to various parts of canada and the US.

DD17 has spent at least a week in Oregon, California, Washington, Wyoming, Hawaii... and a couple of days in Canada. She would love to travel the world.

DS21 has spent time in Washington, Oregon, California  Hawaii and a couple of weeks in Haitii for a mission trip.  He never plans on leaving the PNW again. 

DD9 has been in Oregon, California and Washington. 

Oldest ds has done two cross country US trips. The other two have done one. IIRC, oldest had been to over thirty US states, but almost never from regular traveling.

They've all been to Kyrgyzstan and Mexico. The older two have also been to China and Kazakhstan. They'll all add on at least three more countries next month and probably at least five more in the next couple of years.

I assume I can include family trips, since my kids are still young to travel alone ....

Let's see.  At least:

• US states - Texas, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Arizona, Nevada, California.  Also Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.
  • Countries - Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, some Caribbean island countries, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, India, Greece, Italy, Vatican City, Austria, Switzerland, France, UK, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Morocco.  Next week we will add Poland and Ukraine.

When I was their age, I had never been outside my own state, never been on a plane or a train.  :p

Edited by SKL

My kids have been to California (live there now), Arizona (lived there too), New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, Massachusetts, Maine, New York and Florida. My oldest has also been to Minnesota. My boys will see Minnesota this summer and then the states list will be the same.

They haven't been outside the country.

Our kids have traveled with us on all our trips except the Buenos Aires one, so that is:

Grants, NM

St. Louis, MO

Cruise to Cozumel and Progresso

Moved to brazil, so extensive travel w/in Brazil, including the Amazon

Sarasota, FL road trip from TX

Cozumel, Mexico

San Diego, CA

Fort Collins area, Colorado (and by extension, also into Wyoming)

(And I forgot, on one US. Visit, we went to Mt. Rushmore and surrounding area)

Florida Keys

Within TX we've done San Antonio, Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston/Galveston, and Corpus Christi.

Now that we are back in the US, we're trying to travel more here, but I am very grateful for all the travel we did while in Brazil.

Oh gosh, well my kids are all older, so have had the opportunity to travel more.  They're all in their 20's now.  

They've all been to a majority of US States, except the far north East Coast states, the deep South, Alaska and Hawaii.  Been to the Toronto area of Canada. They've also all been to Costa Rica, Hungary, Austria, Croatia, Bosnia, and Germany as a family.

Other than that:

#1- I think every country in Western Europe except Greece; Turkey; most countries in Eastern Europe; Puerto Rico; Columbia; Azores Islands; Mexico; Quebec

#2- Panama; Nicaragua; Italy; France; Spain

#3- Ecuador; France; Germany; Italy; Spain; Sweden; Denmark; Switzerland; Ireland; England; Scotland; Turkey; Thailand; Malaysia; Senegal; Gambia

#4- Greece; Turkey; England; France; Spain; Italy; Australia

#5- Australia; Italy; Sweden; Denmark; Spain; France

Eldest was born in London, youngest in Hong Kong. Eldest has been to Indonesia, Malaysia, New York and Singapore. Both have been to Hong Kong, China, Thailand, UK, US (Texas and Colorado), Italy, France, Spain and Greece, Australia and New Zealand..

Edited by Laura Corin

Dd has been to Australia, Greece, Jordan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Oman, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand, UAE.

Ds9 (although he won't remember all of them): Australia, Malaysia ("that place where I had that chocolate cereal"), New Zealand, Oman ("where I was born"), Philippines, Singapore ("where we went on the trains"), UAE ("where my sister let me fall off the bed when I was a baby"). It is his abiding dream to sleep on a plane, so he's very eager for our planned Europe trip! He's fun to travel with. He had the people in front of us on our last international trip a few years ago in fits of (nervous?) laughter with winners like "We're REALLY high up!" and "I think the pilot turned off the engine." 😄

Mine are still little but they've been to about half of the states, including living in Hawaii for 3 years. They've lived in 5 states. They've also been to Thailand, Cambodia, and Korea.

Next week they will go to Canada, in December we are going on a Caribbean cruise, and I think in May we will be traveling Europe for a 3-4 weeks (I'm not 100% on Europe yet because of some potential job changes for dh).

We've driven as a family pretty much coast to coast in both Canada and the US twice. The dc haven't been outside North America yet, but it's only a matter of time (and money). ;) Both dh and I have traveled extensively before kids, and dh still travels a bit with work, so there will be lots more traveling in the future. 

Let's see....

Dd1- Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, and Oklahoma

Dd2- Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and Oklahoma

More extensive traveling is being planned as they get older/we have more money

Edited by MomtoCandJ

Stateside, we have taken them all over.  We moved from CA to NC and did a lot of touring back and forth for a while before finally deciding.  We have done the northern route and the southern route, so they have seen most of the national parks, etc.....and when we lived on the West coast, we drove up and down it since I have a lot of relatives in WA and we lived in SoCal.

Here on the East Coast, we have driven all the way up to Montreal, Canada, and all the way South to Florida.

We have gone into Canada twice, West and East Coasts, and to Mexico a couple of times, across the TX boarder and the CA boarder.

Two have also been to China and Hong Kong.

We hope they get to travel in college some, when they can really remember it.

I assume I can include family trips, since my kids are still young to travel alone ....

Let's see.  At least:

• US states - Texas, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Arizona, Nevada, California.  Also Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C.
  • Countries - Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, some Caribbean island countries, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, India, Greece, Italy, Vatican City, Austria, Switzerland, France, UK, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Morocco.  Next week we will add Poland and Ukraine.

When I was their age, I had never been outside my own state, never been on a plane or a train.  :p

Wow.  you guys have traveled so much!  Amazing. How did you fit in so much in 9 years?  Do you do a few countries a year?  When did you start taking them places?

They are so lucky.

Wow.  you guys have traveled so much!  Amazing. How did you fit in so much in 9 years?  Do you do a few countries a year?  When did you start taking them places?

They are so lucky.

I'm an older mom, so I can't wait for my kids to grow up before I work on my bucket list.  So I drag them along.  Other than the plane tickets, they don't cost a ton.  We try to consolidate trips so there are fewer plane tickets.  :)

We took our first international trip (Caribbean cruise) when they were 4/5.  The next year we did Guatemala (winter), followed by India (summer).  Then another winter cruise to hit Mexico, Honduras, Belize.  We did most of the European countries in one whirlwind trip when they were 7 (mostly by train); Argentina/Chile/Uruguay when they were 8; Spain/Portugal/Morocco when they were 9 (one flight; then we rented a car).  Canada was a summer road trip.

• Like 1

The kids are proud of their travels. They've been to Canada, Costa Rica, France, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. Also, stateside, up and down the east coast from Florida to Massachusetts and northern New York state and out west to Las Vegas (for an Elvis wedding!) and to Bryce and Zion in Utah.

They get to add Mexico stamps to the passports in the fall.

I'm an older mom, so I can't wait for my kids to grow up before I work on my bucket list.  So I drag them along.  Other than the plane tickets, they don't cost a ton.  We try to consolidate trips so there are fewer plane tickets.  :)

We took our first international trip (Caribbean cruise) when they were 4/5.  The next year we did Guatemala (winter), followed by India (summer).  Then another winter cruise to hit Mexico, Honduras, Belize.  We did most of the European countries in one whirlwind trip when they were 7 (mostly by train); Argentina/Chile/Uruguay when they were 8; Spain/Portugal/Morocco when they were 9 (one flight; then we rented a car).  Canada was a summer road trip.

Do you have any other tips on traveling cheap?  Do you guys camp or stay in hotels?  I am always looking to make it cheaper so we can afford to go more places.

Do you do travel hacking?  Points and miles and stuff?

How long was the European train trip?

For us we just started traveling a year ago.  But now I have been bitten and I want to just go to as may places as possible before they grow up.  But traveling with 5 isn't cheap.

We are headed to Canada for the first out of country trip this summer

Arizona

California

Nevada 

Wisconsin

IL

We have been to some national parks

Grand Canyon

Painted Dessert

Petrified Forest

Death Valley

Sequoia 

Kings Canyon

Joshua Tree

Cabrillo National Monument

Mine have been to-

South Carolina

North Carolina

Virginia

Washington DC

West Virginia

Delaware

Pennsylvania

New York

Alabama

Georgia

Florida

Mississippi

Maryland

Wisconsin

Tennessee

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

New Jersey

Bahamas

My oldest went to Italy when he was 12. (He also spent several hours in the Munich airport, but that doesn't really count.)

Do you have any other tips on traveling cheap?  Do you guys camp or stay in hotels?  I am always looking to make it cheaper so we can afford to go more places.

Do you do travel hacking?  Points and miles and stuff?

How long was the European train trip?

For us we just started traveling a year ago.  But now I have been bitten and I want to just go to as may places as possible before they grow up.  But traveling with 5 isn't cheap.

We are headed to Canada for the first out of country trip this summer

Arizona

California

Nevada 

Wisconsin

IL

We have been to some national parks

Grand Canyon

Painted Dessert

Petrified Forest

Death Valley

Sequoia 

Kings Canyon

Joshua Tree

Cabrillo National Monument

I can't honestly say we travel "cheap."  We usually try to have 5 people share 1 room, so that helps.  We try to do ground travel vs. flying when we can.  Sometimes an "apartment" is a better deal than a hotel room for some reason.  We usually stay only 1-2 days in each city so we can hit more places on each trip.  Mostly we don't worry too much about the small expenditures; once you pay for a big fat plane ticket, scrimping on small stuff isn't going to matter much, and it's more important to find healthy food that everyone will eat, get some good exercise and fresh air, be safe, and make the trip worthwhile.  :)

I think the Europe trip was 2.5 weeks.  It was hectic and a little too busy for my tastes.  Rousting the kids out at 5 in the morning to drag the bags to the train station ... it gets old.  :)  The kids did love the trains though.  And I got a lot of work done between stops.

All of my vacations are "working vacations," so I can take a couple weeks without it being a big problem.  My kids' school is often the bigger constraint.

Traveling is my thing that I don't mind spending on.  I have the money because my house is paid off.  When I was younger, I stayed home when my friends traveled; that's why I haven't been to Hawaii yet - because all my travel buddies went when I was broke.  :P

With us:

Across the US in a car, twice.  Too many states to type out. ;-)

Winnipeg, Manitoba

California [a lot]

Colorado {a lot}

Connecticut

North Carolina

Florida

Israel

England

France

Without us:

California

Colorado