Menu

Zika would it affect your vacation planning

Only me

As usual I'm trying to plan a last minute summer vacation. I know very first world problems. The rest of my family is always too busy to really help me plan and when I bring it up they say anything is fine. Ireland is a possibility but quite honestly I have no idea where to go and where to stay. I have severe chronic pain and I'm also not sure if I'm up to all the walking. I would love to go to Hawaii but it is too expensive.

So then we thought of Aruba. Flights are about half of what Hawaii would be. So I've been looking at accommodations all day and thinking Aruba would be our choice. Then for some reason I decided to see if Zika had spread there too and it has. They are at a level 2 warning but I'm not sure what that means or how wide spread. They are advising against pregnant women traveling there but I'm wondering if it would still be risky to go. I am not and will not become pregnant (I'm 50). I have 3 adult children 18, 21 and 24 at the time of travel. (Darn I feel old). Anyway the oldest 2 are girls. I am 99.9% sure that I don't have to worry about either getting pregnant. None of my children are dating right now and all 3 are home from college. Of course I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure they aren't "active" in that area of their lives. I'm really not worried about pregnancy. How risky is it for the general population? I know if you catch the virus symptoms usually mild except for rarely get GBS. Would you risk it? I don't want to be overly paranoid.

Edited by Midwest mom of 3
  • Like 1

My concern is that there are questions about if you contract it and then get pregnant later (even years later), it may affect the baby then. Just not enough info, according to Scientific American. I'm pretty relaxed about risk, and I would hesitate to go to a heavily Zika infected area at the moment.

• Like 11

I have been reading about it as it has started to spread. I am concerned based on long term possible issues, and we just don't have enough info. Not a risk I am interested in taking.

I hear it is headed near where I live. We are taking a hard look at landscaping (some plants repel mosquito and make sure no standing water) and just fixed a few window screens.

• Like 1

My concern is that there are questions about if you contract it and then get pregnant later (even years later), it may affect the baby then. Just not enough info, according to Scientific American. I'm pretty relaxed about risk, and I would hesitate to go to a heavily Zika infected area at the moment.

Hm..if that's the case then yeah I'd probably avoid it. 

Ok probably not a risk I'm willing to take especially with my oldest being 24. So much can change at that age. Since we haven't made reservations yet another location would probably be better.

Back to the drawing board. Any ideas? This is supposed to be a graduation trip for two of my kids as well as possibly being the last one with all 3 kids. I just don't know what kind of a trip I can plan in 7 weeks. We would go in July. I know I'm lucky to be planning a trip but I've been over the top stressed about other things going on.

In your situation, I think I'd feel comfortable.  This was something I read recently:

However, epidemiology is starting to suggest that the virus has no long-term effect on pregnancies and birth defects.  Areas in which the Zika epidemic is "burning out", because nearly everyone has been infected and is now immune, are seeing a drop in the rates of microcephaly.  This pattern suggests that long-term effects of Zika on birth defects are rare or non-existent. 

Of course, it is not known for certain and probably won't be for quite some time.  But that being said, my dd has lived in Costa Rica for the past 5 years and my ds and his dw are vacationing in Columbia as I type this, and I am not worried (yet!).  

But if you are concerned about it and it would affect your enjoyment of the vacation, then I'd probably pick another location.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

I wouldn't, not with the kids (not kids, other adults, but you know what I mean) being that age. I am usually one to not worry to much about things like that, so my reaction is even surprising myself, lol

Zika can be spread through sexual transmission, but I think it is not known how that is happening. And there is a LOT not known about this disease, like how long it stays in the body, and what could happen with a pregnancy in the future after infection. 

Rent a cabin by a big pond in Maine (some ponds up there are actually small lakes) Let the kids rent bikes and hike and go to the ocean.  You can sit on the porch and watch the birds on the pond, maybe go for a canoe ride, read a book. Buy lobsters from some guy who sells them from his house. Bring it back and cook it at the cabin. Have it for dinner on the back porch using paper plates so you don't have to wash dishes. Have a fire and make s'mores.

But you should know that's my answer for everything, lol. It might not be your cup of tea.

• Like 7

I wouldn't, not with the kids (not kids, other adults, but you know what I mean) being that age. I am usually one to not worry to much about things like that, so my reaction is even surprising myself, lol

Zika can be spread through sexual transmission, but I think it is not known how that is happening. And there is a LOT not known about this disease, like how long it stays in the body, and what could happen with a pregnancy in the future after infection.

Rent a cabin by a big pond in Maine (some ponds up there are actually small lakes) Let the kids rent bikes and hike and go to the ocean. You can sit on the porch and watch the birds on the pond, maybe go for a canoe ride, read a book. Buy lobsters from some guy who sells them from his house. Bring it back and cook it at the cabin. Have it for dinner on the back porch using paper plates so you don't have to wash dishes. Have a fire and make s'mores.

But you should know that's my answer for everything, lol. It might not be your cup of tea.

Any specific area you recommend. That sounds wonderful.

Any specific area you recommend. That sounds wonderful.

We do it in a tent.  We go to a specific camp ground near Bath ME. It's right on the ocean. If you want to do it in a tent I can tell you a great camp ground. They even trap their own lobster.  You can walk down to the camp store and put in your order at 10am and pick it up, all cooked for you at 5pm.  But it doesn't sound like you want to camp.

But we had some friends who lived on a pond in Camden. They had the place for 9 months b/c it was rented out to tourists for the summers. She was a school teacher and his job allowed them to live anywhere.  It was a darling house and a really lovely area.  I am sure there are MANY places that would rent to you.  It's tricky in Maine, you want to be near the ocean (or I do anyway) but you don't want to be in a place that is quite touristy.  So, for me personally, I would avoid Old Orchard Beach/Kennebunk area...but people love that place! It's more of a Cape Cod tourism type vibe for me, but clearly it is very popular.  The Bar Harbor areas is also very popular, but you will pay.  Once you get north of Bar Harbor it gets cheaper and less touristy, but that's because you are so far north

Last year we went to Booth bay harbor, for a day trip. Again a bit more touristy, but really nice. And my judgement of what is touristy might be off.  We are off in a tent on the beach. When we get de-sanded and go into town everything seems a bit jarring.

I would consider an Air B&B and see what is available when you want to go.  Get familiar with the different regions of Maine (Down East, Mid-Coast,etc) and take it from there.  It used to be all real estate people in charge of renting, but I assume it's all done through air B&B now. 

• Like 2

My understanding is that the only people who are at severe risk from Zika are women who are pregnant or might become pregnant. For them, it can be extremely horrible.  My understanding is that the majority of people who get Zika do not know they have it. The symptoms are usually extremely mild. We live in a Tropical Valley, in Colombia.  I would suggest that you think about what you would enjoy doing on your vacation. If you want to relax on a beach, go to Puerto Rico or  Cancun or the Dominican Republic or come down here, to our tiny islands of San Andres and Providencia or go somewhere else. If you want to go to Museums, go to Washington, DC or NYC or somewhere else.  Think about what you want to do on your vacation. Everywhere in the world they will welcome your family and your money, but you only have 1 or 2 weeks, so plan carefully.  Enjoy!

P.S.

Bermuda is so far North that I'm surprised Zika has gotten there.  

• Like 1

As I am reading this, a mosquito is buzzing around my head as I sit outside at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in DisneyWorld. Lol, I guess I am not afraid, although the Florida cases are south of here where I live.

I'd suggest considering Maritime Canada (esp New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI).  It'd give you that "out of country" feel as well as being a fun place to explore with oodles of putter around places (Bay of Fundy, Cabot Trail, PEI itself being just three examples) and a fun small city (Halifax).  You can fly into Halifax, or if driving, could travel up the coast and take the small ferries working your way over there (tons of fun).

• Like 4

What about a mountain cabin in Tennessee/Georgia/North carolina? Blue Ridge mountains, gem mining (corny but sometimes fun), waterfalls, etc etc?

These "cabins" often have pool tables, hot tubs, etc etc and are gorgeous. 

Edited by ktgrok

And I would not travel to a Zika area with girls those ages. Or a boy! It is sexually transmitted, so a man could contract it, then bring it back and spread it to women here, and vice versa. 

I'm watching the news on this fairly carefully, as I live in Florida. So far our cases here have been via travel and sexual contact with someone that traveled. But I might start stocking up on Deep Woods Off just in case!

My understanding is that the only people who are at severe risk from Zika are women who are pregnant or might become pregnant. For them, it can be extremely horrible.  My understanding is that the majority of people who get Zika do not know they have it. The symptoms are usually extremely mild. We live in a Tropical Valley, in Colombia.  I would suggest that you think about what you would enjoy doing on your vacation. If you want to relax on a beach, go to Puerto Rico or  Cancun or the Dominican Republic or come down here, to our tiny islands of San Andres and Providencia or go somewhere else. If you want to go to Museums, go to Washington, DC or NYC or somewhere else.  Think about what you want to do on your vacation. Everywhere in the world they will welcome your family and your money, but you only have 1 or 2 weeks, so plan carefully.  Enjoy!

P.S.

Lanny, surprisingly we have the mosquitos here in Texas, too, and Zika has arrived here as well (and a few other southern states, though I'm not sure which). Not to the levels present elsewhere, but it's here. 

OP, I'd not worry about it. Plan the vacation your family will enjoy, use mosquito repellent/wear long sleeve, light colored clothing, go and have fun. 

• Like 1

As I am reading this, a mosquito is buzzing around my head as I sit outside at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in DisneyWorld. Lol, I guess I am not afraid, although the Florida cases are south of here where I live.

All of the cases in the actual states so far are travel associated, not locally acquired.  So, while it could change in the future, I would be far more comfortable in an area that might develop infected mosquitos at some point than in area that is known to have them and locally acquired cases of the virus. 

OP,  level 2 means that people at high risk may want to consider delaying travel, and that if you do go, you should follow enhanced precautions (in the case of Zika, this is being zealous in avoiding mosquito bites). I don't see anything about Bermuda, though, are you sure you didn't glance at Belize instead? 

My understanding is that the only people who are at severe risk from Zika are women who are pregnant or might become pregnant. For them, it can be extremely horrible. My understanding is that the majority of people who get Zika do not know they have it. The symptoms are usually extremely mild. We live in a Tropical Valley, in Colombia. I would suggest that you think about what you would enjoy doing on your vacation. If you want to relax on a beach, go to Puerto Rico or Cancun or the Dominican Republic or come down here, to our tiny islands of San Andres and Providencia or go somewhere else. If you want to go to Museums, go to Washington, DC or NYC or somewhere else. Think about what you want to do on your vacation. Everywhere in the world they will welcome your family and your money, but you only have 1 or 2 weeks, so plan carefully. Enjoy!

P.S.

Oh my gosh I'm losing my mind. I meant Aruba not Bermuda. I fixed it in my original post. We thought of Bermuda too but there weren't too many lodging places left in our price range and there doesn't seem to be as much to do.

Zika has arrived here as well (and a few other southern states, though I'm not sure which). Not to the levels present elsewhere, but it's here. 

But, of the less than 600 cases in the states, 98% are considered travel associated and about 2% sexually transmitted. That's very different to me than an area with infected mosquitoes. 

All of the cases in the actual states so far are travel associated, not locally acquired. So, while it could change in the future, I would be far more comfortable in an area that might develop infected mosquitos at some point than in area that is known to have them and locally acquired cases of the virus.

OP, level 2 means that people at high risk may want to consider delaying travel, and that if you do go, you should follow enhanced precautions (in the case of Zika, this is being zealous in avoiding mosquito bites). I don't see anything about Bermuda, though, are you sure you didn't glance at Belize instead?

Nope I'm losing my mind. I meant Aruba. I fixed it in my first post. Can you tell I've spent most of yesterday glued to the computer screen trying to plan a vacation? One concern is that I heard that these aren't necessarily mosquitos that only come around at dusk and dawn. They are present during the day. It would be pretty hard to wear long sleeves and pants in the heat of the day (or convince my family to).

• Like 1

We're planning to go to an area with zika. I'm feeling like it's fine for us - no way am I interested in more babies. And the kids are young and male. It reminds me very much of Lyme, honestly - insect borne, we don't know for sure what all the effects are of this virus, many people who get it don't show symptoms, could be very serious for a tiny proportion of people. Of course, there's the added pregnancy fears, but just the unknownness of it.

Farrar, I don't know how young you mean by young, but it is a sexually transmittable disease, so a sexually active man (or one who might be within the next 6 months or so) should not be exposed to Zika either, unless he is certain his wife/SO is not going to get pregnant in the next 6 months.

OP,  I wouldn't go.

I'm sorry to say that it WOULD affect my travel plans. I'm a squeamish hypochondriac. Then again, you might miss out on something wonderful.

When we went to Cancun in Dec., zika wasn't a thing (at least not that anyone mentioned) but there were other NASTY viruses spread by mosquitoes and the warnings were severe. Anyhoo, no one told us that until we were on the bus ready to depart for Chichen Itza. Had I known ahead of time, I would not have signed up for the excursion. But guess what? It was a WONDERFUL experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

I guess I'd be asking myself, with all the many locations available for a family vacation that do not involve Zeka, why not pick somewhere cool that is state side this time since plans are last minute, no one wants to help plan, and you are dealing with chronic pain? Tons of fun places to go in the states...or Canada.

• Like 3

Unless I were actively trying to get pregnant I wouldn't worry about it. The CDC says men should wear condoms or not have sex for 6 months and women should not try to conceive for eight weeks after being in an area with zika.  And everyone should try to avoid getting bitten during and after their time in a zika affected area (to minimize transmission to areas were it has not yet appeared).

I will be in a zika affected area this year.  DS and I both had some mystery illness last year, likely chikungunya.  If we lived in fear of mosquito borne illness we wouldn't get to see and do the fun things we do.   I am much, much, much, much more worried about venomous snakes than Zika. (However, if I were trying to have a child I would, of course, not be so nonchalant about it).

When we went to Cancun in Dec., zika wasn't a thing (at least not that anyone mentioned) but there were other NASTY viruses spread by mosquitoes and the warnings were severe. Anyhoo, no one told us that until we were on the bus ready to depart for Chichen Itza. Had I known ahead of time, I would not have signed up for the excursion. But guess what? It was a WONDERFUL experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Odd that it was only mentioned when you were on the bus....I mean, mosquitoes are also in Cancun....

Odd that it was only mentioned when you were on the bus....I mean, mosquitoes are also in Cancun....

No one said at word at the resort! I think they probably know people won't sign up for the excursions if they give those kinds of warnings ahead of time. You've never SEEN anyone slather on the bug spray the way I did :ohmy:

I'm trying to remember what the virus warnings were...dengue and something else.

I read an article the other day that said the Pasteur Institute had determined the risk to the baby when the mother had Zika was only 1%. Obviously, it's horrible for that 1% of babies, but the whole "you need to use condoms for 6 months!" advice seemed a bit overblown in light of that [ETA: Assuming that the couple wouldn't be using condoms for reduction of the risk of more common STD's]. So while I wouldn't travel to a Zika-prone area while pregnant or actively trying, I wouldn't avoid it in the OP's situation out of concern that my young adult son might conceivably pass it to some girl (who probably wouldn't get pregnant and even if she did, probably wouldn't have a baby with birth defects).

Edited by Crimson Wife

I read an article the other day that said the Pasteur Institute had determined the risk to the baby when the mother had Zika was only 1%. Obviously, it's horrible for that 1% of babies, but the whole "you need to use condoms for 6 months!" advice seemed a bit overblown in light of that [ETA: Assuming that the couple wouldn't be using condoms for reduction of the risk of more common STD's]. So while I wouldn't travel to a Zika-prone area while pregnant or actively trying, I wouldn't avoid it in the OP's situation out of concern that my young adult son might conceivably pass it to some girl (who probably wouldn't get pregnant and even if she did, probably wouldn't have a baby with birth defects).

1% is really quite high, imo.  I mean, when you are bitten by a bat, your chance of dying of rabies is only 1% - but you go get the immunoglobulin anyway.

the genetic defects caused by Zika are pretty serious. 

The problem with sexual transmission is that adults who get Zika and then harbor it usually display no symptoms at all.  So you'd never know, then you'd go around with a 1% chance of causing a severely disabled child.

a quick google found this comparison:

"The death rate for those wearing a seat belt in crashes was less than 1 in 2,000. But for those not secured, the rate was almost 22 in 1,000 — 46.9 times higher than those buckled up."

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/news/local/no-seat-belt-death-risk-47-times-higher-1/nMnnr/

so the risk factor for not wearing a seatbelt is something like 1 in 50 - just twice the risk of complications from Zika.

But no one would say, don't worry about wearing a seatbelt, no big deal!   And if someone did say that for themselves, they *definitely* wouldn't say it for their newborn baby.

edit: math, hah

Edited by ananemone

But it's 1% of women WHO ARE PREGNANT. Obviously, if you're a man actively trying to impregnate a woman, you should delay that for 6 months if you've traveled to a Zika-prone area and you haven't been tested.

But any given time that a couple has sex without a condom, there is a relatively low chance of resulting in pregnancy, especially if the woman is using birth control. 77% of sexually active women in the U.S. are currently using a non-condom form of birth control. So the chances of birth defects would be 1% of whatever the chances of a viable pregnancy are. If the woman is on the Pill (the most common form of birth control here in the U.S.), the chance of pregnancy is 4%. Then you have to figure that 1/3 of pregnancies end in miscarriage. So you'd be looking at 1% of 2.68% or 0.00268%.

There are heath reasons for a couple to consider using condoms (though I'd say that avoiding casual sex is a better strategy for STD prevention), but this seems like the medical establishment exploiting a panic over an exotic disease to push their pro-condom agenda.

Edited by Crimson Wife