Menu

College Students Demand Free Tampons

JumpyTheFrog

Yeah I forget not everyone was as hard up as I was. So maybe some people can donate tampons and stuff. I went to a school with more commuters than those living on campus. It was hard to organize anything.

Yes. THEN it was, but now? Organization is one webpage or email or FB status away.

• Like 1

Well, on the positive side, I now know that the problem of college affordability can be solved simply by providing "free" tampons to all the women.  Who knew?  Hip hip, hooray!  Problem solved!

I have nothing against donating personal items to people in need.  I have nothing against any organization deciding to put freebies in their bathroom.  I think it's great!  However, the linked article is not about that, it's about entitlement and silliness and not knowing anything about real world problems.

• Like 15

Although I don't see tampon machines anywhere anymore. They used to have them for 10 cents. Ten cents is doable.

They took them out because people were always breaking into them to steal the little cash box. Yes, people will do that even tho the things almost never had more than .50 in them. Or jerks would buy them all up and laugh about flushing them all down the toilets to cause major flooding.

And there was that time I told my manager that I wasn't paid enough to clean the bathroom because some woman had rubbed her used tampons and pads and bloody toilet paper all over the entire restroom. I opened the door to do a shift cleaning and immediately shut it and told him hell no, I was not cleaning that for minimum wage. Seriously. I still feel like throwing up thinking about it. Idk if she saved them to do that, had some kind of hemorrage event in there or what, but it was like a scene from Carrie.

So I am not thrilled with the machines being in the bathroom. In the nurses station? Okay.

People are sick messed up creatures sometimes.

• Like 2

"When we menstruate, however unexpectedly, we should not feel fear in the pits of our stomachs because of your lack of foresight."

This statement just makes me laugh out loud.... 

I keep envisioning an "I have a dream" situation...  "I have a dream!  ...that we will never feel fear in the pits of our stomachs due to lack of tampons!"

• Like 8

They took them out because people were always breaking into them to steal the little cash box. Yes, people will do that even tho the things almost never had more than .50 in them. Or jerks would buy them all up and laugh about flushing them all down the toilets to cause major flooding.

And there was that time I told my manager that I wasn't paid enough to clean the bathroom because some woman had rubbed her used tampons and pads and bloody toilet paper all over the entire restroom. I opened the door to do a shift cleaning and immediately shut it and told him hell no, I was not cleaning that for minimum wage. Seriously. I still feel like throwing up thinking about it. Idk if she saved them to do that, had some kind of hemorrage event in there or what, but it was like a scene from Carrie.

So I am not thrilled with the machines being in the bathroom. In the nurses station? Okay.

People are sick messed up creatures sometimes.

Wow that is messed up. 

And yeah some people are disgusting. 

What is with people and doing majorly gross stuff in public bathrooms.  I would be grossed out to do that let alone see it after. 

And stupid people doing stupid things is probably a big reason why more organizations don't leave a stock of complimentary supplies in bathrooms.  Stealing the whole stock, vandalizing, etc.  And another thing - I can't be the first person to think of this - someone will sue the school when she discovers she has some allergy or sensitivity to the product, or inserted it wrong and got an infection, or forgot to take it out, or whatever.

• Like 5

Oh but lets talk colleges and what they support.  The local CC charges a transportation fee.  What's that for you ask?  Is that for the bus pass?  No.  That's another fee.  It is a fee charged to all students to pay for the transportation for the sports teams.  This kind of stuff kinda gets my goat.

• Like 5

Oh yeah that's true.

How did we do anything back then? LOL

Damn this makes me feel old.

Well I told my little ones they would just have to walk and carried my baby with me for miles to get where other people could help me. Sometimes it was a frugal moms meeting at the library where we would share tips and tricks of how to stretch every penny and item. Sometimes it was walking to the health dept WIC office and chatting with the other moms.

That's how I learned I could use baking soda and vinegar instead of laundry soap. Because that's what was used to clean cloth diapers and if it will clean those it'll surely clean those little boys play clothes, right. Which was HUGE, because I could use food stamps to buy baking soda and vinegar and already did, I just needed to buy large containers. Saved me $25 a month in laundry soap, which would buy a lot of something else needed. I still remember practically dragging my poor oldest along home bc I was dang near skipping along I was so excited to get home and tell dh about that. lol

• Like 3

Until fairly recently, for 50 odd years college or trade school was fairly affordable. A student at a state school here is now paying 350-400% more for that state school than my generation did. And I am only 35 so I am talking about people who would have graduated with a college degret less than 15 years ago if they started and finished on time. If college were that frigging expensive, who the heck knows what we couldn't afford. I agree with you that living wages and affordable colelge are key but I really don't like it when we, as grown ass women (even those of use who were dirt poor), compare what we were able to do to finance our education with what college aged adults today face. A pell grant now covers less than 1/2 the tuition at the state university here. We really have no idea.

Well, I have some idea, because I have one son in college and a second son applying in the fall. It's definitely a deck stacked against their generation, in so many ways.

I think I can sum up my views this way:

There is a world of difference between petitioning campus admin, stating, "Hey, there's a real problem with some low-income students not being able to afford feminine hygiene products.  I think that we should help them out by having tampons and pads available through the student health center, and/or making them free from vending machines or...."  and brainstorm workable solutions.  

versus

"Hey admin!  It's your lack of foresight that caused me an awkward moment in the bathroom.  How could you not foresee that I would forget to stick a tampon in my purse?  How dare you allow a situation to arise that could cause me stress or discomfort!  I am ENTITLED to free tampons because, well, because I just am."  (remember the quote? " When we menstruate, however unexpectedly, we should not feel fear in the pits of our stomachs because of your lack of foresight")

Huuuuge difference.  FWIW, I would be 100% on board with the first proposal.  Let's figure out ways that we, as a community, can help students in need.

My attitude towards the second absurd rant remains utter disdain.  You're not some stereotypical 1950s housewife in need of daddy, or hubby, or in this case, the college to take care of you because you can't take care of yourself.  You're strong and capable, now go and act like it.

• Like 29

When I first read the article, my initial reaction was 'good grief, what next', but after reading the replies in this thread and thinking about it, I started to change my mind.  We're discussing a necessary item.  I had no more control over my body deciding to bleed (heavily) and needing feminine protection than I do when I need to relieve myself and need toilet paper.  It's a bodily function, and not something that I'm responsible for by abusing my health.  No choice involved.

Also, I frequently hear people commenting how colleges are providing so much more than they did how ever many years ago, usually in a complaining tone because of the cost.  Even here on this board.  I get that.  When I look at the university my dd is attending (same one I attended 30+ years ago) I see many, many changes, with the first being the astronomical growth in student body size and fees/tuition.  Many of the changes are very nice.  Take for instance the 104,000 square foot rec center.  Wow.  My dd can go rock climbing, swimming, running, do yoga, whatever.  Good for health and stress.  But is it absolutely necessary?  Being able to work out while on campus is not required in order to get to class, but tampons/pads sure as hell can be necessary in order to get to class.  When I think of it in terms like that, it doesn't seem like such an outlandish request (I don't like the word demand, either).  I'm not talking about spendy, name brand supplies, just the cheap stuff.  If someone isn't happy with that, well, then they aren't really in a position of need.  That's just one example.

When my older girls started at the same university, they got a welcome package that included a box of condoms. They must of stopped that because my middle dd didn't receive that.  I don't find that a necessity.  Having sex (excepting rape) is a choice; menstruation is not a choice.  

Anyway, I think they're already spending many millions on items that, while nice to have, are not absolute necessities to getting a education.  Tampons/pads seem like a small item.

• Like 10

The one semester I was there we'd have these dorm meetings.  The hot topic was why are we the only dorm that doesn't have a condom machine.  It was also the only single sex dorm building.  They claimed it was an accidental oversight.  It was pretty funny to see the look on the guy's face who came to listen to our concerns. 

Five years now since I have had a proper cycle and I still carry supplies...more than once I have been able to hand a frantic young woman a pad or tampon (last time at local arena where our huge school district holds high school graduations. Restroom didn't have even an empty wall-mounted dispenser for those bulky pads one used to be able to buy for a quarter.) So, yeah, at least offer basic supplies, maybe the machine only dispenses via a card swipe and a minor amount is charged to the kid's account.

B

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

I have heavy periods and only one brand of tampons works for me without embarrassing leakage. It's the $7 box and I go through about 2/3 a box in a month, more if I have my heavy days on school days. I have to change when opportunity presents itself, like between classes, which on some days is once a hour for part of the day. 

We have an on campus food bank, I did see tampons in there once. I skimmed the article, but think they could be better served by working to find a way to have tampons free through donations, perhaps getting a tampon company to sponsor an event, instead of demanding something else "free" from administration. Any student can use our food bank, there is nothing to fill out demonstrating need. 

On another note, if this thread has you seeing red (pun intended) consider donating tampons and pads to your local food bank. Food aid does not pay for toiletries and there were plenty of times I would have traded food for toothpaste, toilet paper, or tampons. I'll probably grab an extra box next time I'm at the store to donate. 

Edited by elegantlion
  • Like 7

On another note, if this thread has you seeing red (pun intended) consider donating tampons and pads to your local food bank. Food aid does not pay for toiletries and there were plenty of times I would have traded food for toothpaste, toilet paper, or tampons. I'll probably grab an extra box next time I'm at the store to donate. 

I am going to do this. 

• Like 1

When I was in university research, they actually provided pads in the women's and unisex restrooms. A female boss told me that it had started years ago because they were so far from anywhere you could buy them. There were also very few women though, just the administrative types and my boss and I.

Later one when I worked for the federal government, they didn't even have the machines in the bathrooms. I kept some in the back of a desk drawer, and it wasn't uncommon for other women to come around, asking if I had any. We managed.

I agree that a lot of weird stuff is paid for by colleges though. In that light, why not?

• Like 1

I am so sick of this  "personal responsibility" buzzword, which always seems to translate to "I don't like to think that humans in a society have a responsibility towards each other". If you feel that way, well, bully for you, but you may was well go be a hermit in the woods. I would rather live in a community with other people, and that means everybody working together for the common good.

Agreed. People seem to use that phrase as a more polite way to say "sucks to be you" or "not my problem". You know what I miss? The idea of everyone in a society helping out everyone else. But we don't have that for a lot of reasons, so government programs take that place. 

• Like 5

Agreed. People seem to use that phrase as a more polite way to say "sucks to be you" or "not my problem". You know what I miss? The idea of everyone in a society helping out everyone else. But we don't have that for a lot of reasons, so government programs take that place. 

Well, the government is - especially in a democratic society - essentially an outgrowth of society.

• Like 1

Agreed. You should donate money, which they can use to purchase more food than you can, and you should also donate toiletries, which they often are precluded from buying with donated money. Even a small amount, like $5 and a box of tampons or laundry soap every month, adds up.

The situation is already revolting, after all.

Sorry, sorry, I live my life to make that pun.

But seriously, whether or not this request is valid, I find the vehemence of the opposing rhetoric both baffling and disturbing. You'd think these young women were asking for fois gras to be served at all meals, not the relatively inexpensive cost of cut-rate tampons.

I think that the opposition has nothing to do with the relative cost of the item, but rather that this is just another thing "these kids today" want given to them.  Whether or not people could afford these items in the past, this is the first time people are asking for them to be provided for free.  In general, I think a lot of people are tired of hearing others, perhaps particularly college students, saying "we want stuff, and we want someone to give it to us." 

And, you know, "relatively inexpensive" items add up - unless, of course, someone else is paying for them. 

• Like 6

Anytime I hear "demand" and "free" (in the sense of something that costs money, not a priceless thing like a right) I'm skeptical.

So am I, which is why I take articles like this with a grain of salt. Often, I find that when we dig even a little under the surface, it didn't go down nearly like they reported. I'm not saying that's definitely the case here - I certainly haven't done any digging to find out! - but it's so often the case that I generally assume it's all overstated clickbait. But that doesn't mean I can't address the article as though I thought it was 100% Snopes-approved truth, does it?

• Like 3

One annoying thing we got charged for was the "health fee".  It was rather expensive and maybe you could get an aspirin or band aid.  I could have bought a lot of tampons with that money.

I can agree with that. The health fee at my college was a total joke, and I am certain fed the linings of administrative pockets. But, when I look at what is available to my boy now at WMU, I think that at least some colleges if not a significant number got called on the carpet for that kind of thing and now actually offer real health services.

Of course, "board" fees when I was in college was really more like "paying for my salmonella, botulism, and listeria poisoning". GAH! The things that went on in that kitchen. NOT GOOD!

• Like 2

There are essentially three arguments in the article.

The first compares tampons to condoms. It isn't a great comparison though to anyone who knows the history of how they came to be offered for free.

The second is that the school should make up for the lack of foresight of the women. However machines for pay already do that, and it is often possible to borrow one or make do for long enough to get some. This does not seem like a strong argument, especially when some schools already find it necessary to lock up thins like cleaning supplies because people take them.

The third is that it is for poor students and poor non-students. But this is essentially an issue of funding, costs, and for non students poverty more generally. It doesn't make much sense for college tuitions to be going to deal with community poverty issues. It's inefficient and probably not that accessible. Distribution at places the very poor will actually be makes more sense. And in general for anyone needing help with basics like tampons or food, it seems logical to bundle those things together.

My first recommendation then would be for those students to agitate for more funding for the poor, for students, and around university costs. My second would be to start some sort of group to donate supplies through food banks or some other places.

For the university to do this as a matter of course just seems inefficient.

• Like 6

One annoying thing we got charged for was the "health fee".  It was rather expensive and maybe you could get an aspirin or band aid.  I could have bought a lot of tampons with that money.

Not to mention the level of health insurance some colleges now require. We have a perfectly decent policy which covers both of our college kids. However, my son's university has minimum requirements for a policy that no normal family policy can possibly meet. So, they will. not. exempt him from buying the policy they offer at nearly $2500 per year!! So, we pay that extra for him to have the privilege of attending.  :glare:

If they want to take some of THAT waste of money and use it to give the low income gals some tampons, I'm all for it!

I am SO glad he only has one stinkin' quarter left! He has to pay for grad school himself!  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

And stupid people doing stupid things is probably a big reason why more organizations don't leave a stock of complimentary supplies in bathrooms.  Stealing the whole stock, vandalizing, etc.  And another thing - I can't be the first person to think of this - someone will sue the school when she discovers she has some allergy or sensitivity to the product, or inserted it wrong and got an infection, or forgot to take it out, or whatever.

Or gets TSS. You KNOW legal action is inevitable somewhere!

• Like 1

I went to a Hearts at Home conference where free pads, tampons, nail files, etc were provided in the restrooms.  I thought it was a wonderful service and a way to help out other moms.  I saw a woman come into the restroom and dump all of the products into her tote bag; my first thought was 'how sad' and 'she must really be desperate." A  friend mentioned seeing the same woman in another restroom doing the same thing.  Lest you think we were gossiping about the poor woman taking bathroom supplies, this conversation took place as we were checking out at one of the book kiosks and said woman was observed spending quite a bit of money on books.

This is what I can see possibly  happening in public restrooms or restrooms (like those in dorms) with open door policies.  Any person could walk in, take the entire stash and leave.  How often should the college or public building resupply?  Once the knowledge is out there that such and such restroom is stocked, people are going to be frequenting that place in hopes of a score. When things are free, some people take advantage.  Some out of need; others because they view it as being thrifty.

I don't know what the answer is. I like the idea of offering free supplies through the health center.

I admit to being more than a bit irritated at the young woman's statement that her discomfort was due to the college's lack of foresight about her needs.  

Edited by ScoutermominIL
  • Like 12

You're nicer than I am. I'd tell my kid to pick another school. No way would I pay ten thousand extra dollars for something we don't need.

I wish I could. But, anyplace else and we would have to pay room and board. At this school he is able to live at home and commute. It's cheaper to throw away his superlative health insurance money than it would be for housing.

There are lots of colleges requiring you buy their policy now. :glare:

• Like 1

You all need to go and read the students' letter.  In the letter, they call the things they are asking for "demands."  

"The following pages detail our collective Demands, as well as Demands specific to each of our Centers and demographics. It is important to note that these are Demands, not simply requests or suggestions. These represent thoughtful, meaningful reforms that are necessary in order to affirm the expectation of safety and real life equity. Should these demands not be met or properly negotiated to our standards, we will mobilize our students.Additionally, we will inform prospective students, faculty, staff, as well as previous faculty and staff, alumni, and anyone else who will listen of the problematic climate that is perpetuated on this campus. We hope that the University of Arizona initiates an institutional sense of urgency in terms of the effort the university puts forth to remedy the issues highlighted by these Demands."

Tampons are the easiest and cheapest things they are demanding.

Perhaps some boardies may be happy to know that one of the demands is also lactation rooms.  

Edited by Stellalarella
  • Like 1

You all need to go and read the students' letter.  In the letter, they call the things they are asking for "demands."  

"The following pages detail our collective Demands, as well as Demands specific to each of our Centers and demographics. It is important to note that these are Demands, not simply requests or suggestions. These represent thoughtful, meaningful reforms that are necessary in order to affirm the expectation of safety and real life equity. Should these demands not be met or properly negotiated to our standards, we will mobilize our students.Additionally, we will inform prospective students, faculty, staff, as well as previous faculty and staff, alumni, and anyone else who will listen of the problematic climate that is perpetuated on this campus. We hope that the University of Arizona initiates an institutional sense of urgency in terms of the effort the university puts forth to remedy the issues highlighted by these Demands."

Perhaps some boardies may be happy to know that one of the demands is also lactation rooms.  

aren't they just special.

I wonder if they'll realize that the word "no" does have a real place when their own children start *demanding* things  . . .

• Like 4

Well that's some incendiary language!

I guess they never heard of the more flies with honey than vinegar approach.

• Like 4

I went to a Hearts at Home conference where free pads, tampons, nail files, etc were provided in the restrooms.  I thought it was a wonderful service and a way to help out other moms.  I saw a woman come into the restroom and dump all of the products into her tote bag; my first thought was 'how sad' and 'she must really be desperate." A  friend mentioned seeing the same woman in another restroom doing the same thing.  Lest you think we were gossiping about the poor woman taking bathroom supplies, this conversation took place as we were checking out at one of the book kiosks and said woman was observed spending quite a bit of money on books.

This is what I can see possibly  happening in public restrooms or restrooms (like those in dorms) with open door policies.  Any person could walk in, take the entire stash and leave.  How often should the college or public building resupply?  Once the knowledge is out there that such and such restroom is stocked, people are going to be frequenting that place in hopes of a score. When things are free, some people take advantage.  Some out of need; others because they view it as being thrifty.

I don't know what the answer is. I like the idea of offering free supplies through the health center.

I admit to being more than a bit irritated at the young woman's statement that her discomfort was due to the college's lack of foresight about her needs.  

This.

our church has donation  trucks (like a goodwill truck) - they started leaving one at a particular building so members could drop off stuff.  it wasn't locked, or tended.  people, in the community as well, started taking stuff.  not because they could afford to buy it - but because they liked the idea of getting it for free.

those who came in to take advantage of the situation, ruined it for many people who were playing by the rules.

My mom sews cloth pads for a nonprofit group called Days For Girls. The group provides a cover, several cloth inserts, panties, a Ziploc bag and a small bar of soap, as well as training for how to use and launder the pads. Sounds like this college needs to start up a service club and begin sewing!!

http://www.daysforgirls.org/

My mom's group has truly changed the lives of girls in parts of the world where girls would sit on newspaper in their rooms for a week each month rather than go to school. If this really is a concern on college campuses, there are groups out there ready to help. If it is just a way to have cause, I hope these women will direct their attention to helping the needy, on and off campus.

• Like 5

Our church has a clothing giveaway every quarter. I heard a woman who works at it say they've been finding people taking multiple bags of clothes and then sell them at their garage sale nearby. They've had to start telling people to only take one bag of clothes to cut down on the problem.

ETA: I think some people were sneaking in their own bags to take extra stuff.

Edited by HoppyTheToad
  • Like 1

See, that's the thing.  If they had approached the administration with a teamwork approach and a positive suggestion, we would all be sympathetic toward these young ladies, though we might disagree on details.  But the approach taken was "Not Fair!"  Huh?  That is not How to Win Friends and Influence People.  :P  They should all be given the assignment to read "Getting to Yes" and then rewrite their proposal.

• Like 2

See, that's the thing.  If they had approached the administration with a teamwork approach and a positive suggestion, we would all be sympathetic toward these young ladies, though we might disagree on details.  But the approach taken was "Not Fair!"  Huh?  That is not How to Win Friends and Influence People.  :p  They should all be given the assignment to read "Getting to Yes" and then rewrite their proposal.

I do agree with this.  The word 'demand' almost automatically makes me say 'no'.  I had to move away from it and think about the issue without 'demands' in my face.  I don't this it was a good way to go about it.

• Like 3

My mom sews cloth pads for a nonprofit group called Days For Girls. The group provides a cover, several cloth inserts, panties, a Ziploc bag and a small bar of soap, as well as training for how to use and launder the pads. Sounds like this college needs to start up a service club and begin sewing!!

My mom's group has truly changed the lives of girls in parts of the world where girls would sit on newspaper in their rooms for a week each month rather than go to school. If this really is a concern on college campuses, there are groups out there ready to help. If it is just a way to have cause, I hope these women will direct their attention to helping the needy, on and off campus.

That sure puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

• Like 3

Gosh that's weird.  Unless she really really needed them, but come on. 

Right.  So how is this going to work in a college setting exactly?  We had a community bathroom shared by oh probably 30 women.  The thought of rinsing bloody pads in the shared community sinks while anyone could walk in and out is pretty darn gross.

And then laundry I got to once a week.  So in the meantime where do I keep bloody stinky pads in a shared dorm room?  And what do you wash these pads with?  Meaning do I dump this in with my regular laundry?  If not, then now this adds to the laundry cost since you pay per load. 

• Like 3

When dd realized the need she wanted to help. We found a homeless shelter to donate to and also a food pantry.

We donate the same brands we use because we don't like the thought of someone stuck with something that leaks.

If a college supplied pads etc they'd be cheap ones and then those who really need them would be stuck with cruddy supplies that would create laundry issues.

we've  been in very tight - as in below the poverty level - times. we did not receive welfare, and I bought sanitary products.  (we also managed to make our mortgage payment).  we did NOT buy ice cream, cell phones (they can have a basic phone that will text - they do NOT need a smart phone, let alone the latest and greatest), yogurt, MAKE-UP, hair cuts, *chocolate*, etc.  I can almost guarantee you - they're have those things, and are not willing to give up them up to use the money in other areas.  I'm not impressed by their sob story.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 7

Right.  So how is this going to work in a college setting exactly?  We had a community bathroom shared by oh probably 30 women.  The thought of rinsing bloody pads in the shared community sinks while anyone could walk in and out is pretty darn gross.

And then laundry I got to once a week.  So in the meantime where do I keep bloody stinky pads in a shared dorm room?  And what do you wash these pads with?  Meaning do I dump this in with my regular laundry?  If not, then now this adds to the laundry cost since you pay per load. 

See now, that's the beauty of the training from Days for Girls.  Along with the cloth pads, they send a ziplock bag and a bar of soap.  The girls are taught to place their used pads in the ziplock.  Then, with just a little water and some of the soap, they are able to wash the pads in the ziplock bag.  Sounds terribly gross in America, but it really works.  

My mom's friend founded this group.  She had worked in an orphanage in Africa and really tried to think of a way to help these girls.  First, she asked her friends to send pads.  Yay for pads!  Pads mean freedom!! (I hadn't really thought of it before, but they really do mean freedom!)  Unfortunately, when you don't have a garbage service, pads mean hazardous waste dump all over your property.

So, she started making reusable pads, but the laundry situation is a little tricky, you are right.  But not tricky in a "oh my, I don't want to have to go in the bathroom and hand-wash a 3"x8" piece of fabric in the sink with running hot water" but in a "we don't have running water" way.  I'm sure rinsing out your bloody panties on the first day of your period in a shared sink where anyone could walk in, could also be embarrassing. Lots of embarrassing things happen in a shared bathroom where anyone could walk in.  I'm not saying this is a convenient or easy solution for all, but I am offering another solution that is working for other women.

If it truly is needed, I'm sure that college women can figure out how to hand wash their pads in the bathroom with running hot water.  Here is a quote from the website:

Q: How does she care for the kit if there is little water?

A: Great question. That is where the feedback has been so amazing. With the Ziplock baggie she can soak the liners with very little water, and that water can be gray water (already used for other washing, etc.) After soaking she can spill away the most colorful water in a latrine or appropriate location and then the kits can be easily washed as usual. Because of the tri-fold design, they rinse with very little water comparatively.

I understand that these are being used in the US in high poverty areas like inner city Chicago and reservations. Sounds like college campuses are next!  I think I will send their note to my mom, she will love it! Free pads are great.  But a sustainable way to care for yourself can bring freedom. Having lots of options is the best

eta - link to Days for Girls   http://www.daysforgirls.org/

Edited by wendy not in HI
  • Like 11

Now it's not enough to provide them for free, but they should provide an array of choices so they can get their preferred kind?

Ugh.

No. At best you will get about as high a quality tampon or pads as the toilet paper, of which they do not provide preferred options to select from. (Gah. I hope not anyways.)

Even so, what the heck are you people buying?!

I buy what I consider are really expensive pads for two females in the house so far. I spend about $30 a month tops.

Eta: no I'm curious, so I'm going to go do the math...

I wasn't suggesting any such thing, just comparing my privileged situation to a hypothetical broke college student's.

I didn't know I was going to be a broke college student. Pre-widespread-home-internet, I had no idea that ALL of my money would go to the bookstore before classes even started.  Work study was already full.  The 3 walking distance businesses hired returning upperclassmen.  I had no money for a bus, let alone a car, even if I hadn't had a ridiculous class schedule that didn't leave room for a job.

I don't remember how I managed.  I do remember being grateful that my father gave me $10 at one point, and I was relieved to be able to do laundry.  So I'm guessing maybe my mother had sent me off with enough supplies to get through for a while.  Which is more parental assistance than some kids have.

I do not understand why we have to pretend that struggling young adults are lazy, stupid, greedy monsters and act like they're demanding we stick diamond glitter in their panties.  I'd share my property with a stranger in a bathroom because it would be monstrous to leave a woman hanging.  Whether I'm in that bathroom or not.

• Like 4

Does that still exist and do they have a website? I live in a poor country and would love to help women here with this kind of thing, though I think cups may be a better option than pads for many women. 

Yes!  Here are some links for you

Article in HuffPo about how pads can change the world!! ;)  but, yeah, sort of! 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-next-ten-challenge/9-simple-ways-sustainable_b_7214262.html

Days for Girls website:   http://www.daysforgirls.org/

How to get involved - make your own chapter or team - get patterns to sew - what supplies to use, etc:

http://www.daysforgirls.org/#!get-involved/c1yux

How to get kits: http://www.daysforgirls.org/#!get-kits/c66u

Days for Girls blog:  http://www.daysforgirls.org/#!blog/csvq

Cups vs pads:  http://www.daysforgirls.org/#!get-kits/c66u  It looks like they do accept cup donations, but they say that less than 3% of the women they work with are willing to try a cup.

It really is inspiring. I have done some sewing with my mom, but would like to start a small group where i am and hope to donate 100 full packs this year.

• Like 8