Menu

What I Say vs. What He Hears

KungFuPanda

I've been married for over two decades now.  I finally realized that when I say:

I'm making breakfast.  How do you want your eggs?

DH hears:

I'm making breakfast.  After you tell me how you want your eggs I want you to jump in the shower so that you can eat them cold.

There is just no other explanation for his behavior.  

• Like 44

:lol: :lol: :lol: He thinks he can be in and out of the shower in record time. Perhaps it's more of a time perception issue. Female / Male communication is so funny. An older friend once told me that she said to her dh: " I have nothing to wear." He was truly perplexed and walked to her closet which - of course - was full of clothes. She had to explain to him that when a woman says she has nothing to wear, what she is really saying is: "I want/need to go shopping."

This example may also have been a generational thing but whatever generation you are in, it has its challenges.

• Like 2

This.  Definitely this.  We've been married a quarter of that time, but when I say "Dinner will be ready in five minutes" he definitely hears "Dinner will be ready in five minutes, so go change out of your work clothes, make a cocktail, check your e-mail one last time, and maybe finish reading the newspaper you started this morning."

• Like 8

Yep. Married almost the same length of time. Communication breakdowns all the time.

I say "I was thinking of watching ----- tonight. Would you like to join me?"

DH hears "I am going to watch ----- tonight and if you don't want to watch with me then you are a terrible husband and I will be hurt/mad forever so suck it up buttercup and sit down."

It is irrelevant that I have never, ever said anything or implied anything or even felt anything of the sort. LOL.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 7

This.  Definitely this.  We've been married a quarter of that time, but when I say "Dinner will be ready in five minutes" he definitely hears "Dinner will be ready in five minutes, so go change out of your work clothes, make a cocktail, check your e-mail one last time, and maybe finish reading the newspaper you started this morning."

Well, when I say dinner is ready in 5 minutes my husband and son BOTH hear:

"You should go sit on the toilet for twenty minutes so your food has time to get cold."

Maybe I'm just being cranky, but I like for people to eat their food hot.

• Like 17

"You should go sit on the toilet for twenty minutes so your food has time to get cold."

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  I gave up.  

I usually announce when the food will be on the table, then once it is ready I announce that the food is ON the table (confirming that DH actually heard and processed said announcement), and then I wait politely for 5 minutes. I make one more announcement.  If he hasn't come, I eat.  If the kids are home, they eat, too.  I like my food hot.  I may pull out my kindle and read if the kids are not home.  Once I am done eating, I clean up my plate.  If DH hasn't arrived by that point I announce that I am putting up dinner.  The kids help.  DH can reheat it later and he can clean it up later. Usually, he comes.  When he doesn't, at least I ate a nice, warm meal.

Sending sympathy, KFP

• Like 6

Oh my gosh, my husband is leading a double life.  Then he comes and eats them and says "Why didn't you tell me (meal of choice) was ready!?"  You get ONE notice of a meal over here.  I'm not a flipping servant people!

• Like 5

I have the reverse problem. My kids and hubby tends to park themselves in the kitchen until my cooking is done, than run away gleefully with their food.

My hubby is the shopaholic. If I have nothing suitable to wear for a function, I run the risk of hubby spending the entire weekend shopping and buying me a few outfits including bags and shoes because of the 90 day return policy.

• Like 2

We had that problem a lot more when he was in one of the residencies.  

Dinner is never very fancy around here.  Think basic, simple and cleans up into storage quickly.  Only took two or three times, but the boy was plated up before I called dinner (cut and cooling).  I plated mine and we sat down and ate.  Boy finished and was off to whereever.  I finished, threw everything into tupperware and into the dishwasher and was just sitting down in the family room when he finally showed, looking confused, asking where dinner was.  My reply?  It's over and done and cleaned up.  If you want something, look in the fridge.   He got the idea pretty quick. 

(It is possible, that I may, or may not have eaten a tad quicker than normal that night, and as well as may or may not have cleaned a tad quicker than normal that night.  And possibly, maybe or maybe not, handed a last part to the boy and sent him back to the basement or something to move him a long. It is possible I may have been trying to prove a point that night.  Or maybe not....)

• Like 19

I asked my dh how he would like his eggs.

He said on toast.

I asked him a couple of times.  finally I made the toast and put the eggs (uncooked in shell) on top of the toast.

He wasn't happy.  I did what he told me to do.  They were brought back with the word scrambled,

We've been married 26 years.

• Like 11

Yep. Married almost the same length of time. Communication breakdowns all the time.

I say "I was thinking of watching ----- tonight. Would you like to join me?"

DH hears "I am going to watch ----- tonight and if you don't want to watch with me then you are a terrible husband and I will be hurt/mad forever so suck it up buttercup and sit down."

It is irrelevant that I have never, ever said anything or implied anything or even felt anything of the sort. LOL.

That would never happen here.  My dh is incapable of that much empathy.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  I gave up.  

I usually announce when the food will be on the table, then once it is ready I announce that the food is ON the table (confirming that DH actually heard and processed said announcement), and then I wait politely for 5 minutes. I make one more announcement.  If he hasn't come, I eat.  If the kids are home, they eat, too.  I like my food hot.  I may pull out my kindle and read if the kids are not home.  Once I am done eating, I clean up my plate.  If DH hasn't arrived by that point I announce that I am putting up dinner.  The kids help.  DH can reheat it later and he can clean it up later. Usually, he comes.  When he doesn't, at least I ate a nice, warm meal.

Sending sympathy, KFP

Thank you.  All I want is a little sympathy.  I think that's the point of this thread since change is out of the question.

Oh my gosh, my husband is leading a double life.  Then he comes and eats them and says "Why didn't you tell me (meal of choice) was ready!?"  You get ONE notice of a meal over here.  I'm not a flipping servant people!

Right?!?  I'm doing the cooking.  I shouldn't also be tracking people down and issuing multiple notifications on the state of dinner.  Have some situational awareness people!  You SMELL the food cooking.  Take out the earbuds and listen for me to yell or come down and ASK how long it will be.  If you HEARD me, acknowledge that you heard me by showing up or at least responding. 

We had that problem a lot more when he was in one of the residencies.  

Dinner is never very fancy around here.  Think basic, simple and cleans up into storage quickly.  Only took two or three times, but the boy was plated up before I called dinner (cut and cooling).  I plated mine and we sat down and ate.  Boy finished and was off to whereever.  I finished, threw everything into tupperware and into the dishwasher and was just sitting down in the family room when he finally showed, looking confused, asking where dinner was.  My reply?  It's over and done and cleaned up.  If you want something, look in the fridge.   He got the idea pretty quick. 

(It is possible, that I may, or may not have eaten a tad quicker than normal that night, and as well as may or may not have cleaned a tad quicker than normal that night.  And possibly, maybe or maybe not, handed a last part to the boy and sent him back to the basement or something to move him a long. It is possible I may have been trying to prove a point that night.  Or maybe not....)

I may or may not have tried this also.  The point may or may not have been entirely lost on him.

He said on toast.

I asked him a couple of times.  finally I made the toast and put the eggs (uncooked in shell) on top of the toast.

He wasn't happy.  I did what he told me to do.  They were brought back with the word scrambled,

You are my hero. 

• Like 5

Two weeks ago DH came in from work and I announced that dinner was about 5 minutes from the table. DH grabs both kids and takes them to the computer room to play a video game (since obviously 5 minutes is quite long).

And in my house it's, "Okay then I'll just make a quick run to the auto parts store..."

• Like 4

I had no idea this was a thing! Somehow, I thought it only happened at our house. About 10 years ago, I decided to stop worrying about meals being eaten hot. I will eat them hot, because that is what I prefer. Whether or not the food is still warm when you get around to eating it is on you. Freedom!!!!!!

• Like 4

I've been married for over two decades now. I finally realized that when I say:

I'm making breakfast. How do you want your eggs?

DH hears:

I'm making breakfast. After you tell me how you want your eggs I want you to jump in the shower so that you can eat them cold.

Well, the other explanation is that you only *think* you hear however he asks for his eggs, but, what he *really* said was, "Cold, please hon! Thanks."
  • Like 4

Well, the other explanation is that you only *think* you hear however he asks for his eggs, but, what he *really* said was, "Cold, please hon! Thanks."

Yes! Because if he doesn't mind them cold, why should I (mind that he eat them cold).
  • Like 3

I have the reverse problem. My kids and hubby tends to park themselves in the kitchen until my cooking is done, than run away gleefully with their food.

My hubby is the shopaholic. If I have nothing suitable to wear for a function, I run the risk of hubby spending the entire weekend shopping and buying me a few outfits including bags and shoes because of the 90 day return policy.

Sounds like a keeper!

Sympathy!

Only suggestion I'd have is that understanding the situation, ask your question about eggs way before you plan to make them or get a standard idea of what form of eggs to make. Start making eggs when the shower is  around your egg making time from finished according to usual showering time.

I like everyone to eat once everything is on their plate, organized nicely, with a fork.

Unfortunately they get hungry while I am cooking and often come eat bits of what *is* done while the last part of dinner finishes cooking.  Drives me crazy!  But this thread gives me perspective\: it is the kids/DH eating the food, not me.  I can have mine all together on one plate since that is how I like it :)  No need to impose my arbitrary preference on them.

• Like 3

Men seem to have an inflated view of how quickly they can accomplish things/how much they can accomplish in a given time.

DH regularly tells me he's leaving the office and will be home in 30 minutes.

It's a 45 minute drive.

Yes!  Just today, DH calls me from the airplane to tell me he will be home in 30 minutes.  His plane hasn't even landed yet, we live roughly 25 minutes from the airport and he has checked baggage.  Yes, dear, I will see you in 30 minutes.  (He got here nearly 2 hours after that phone call. :) ).

• Like 8

That would never happen here.  My dh is incapable of that much empathy.

Thank you.  All I want is a little sympathy.  I think that's the point of this thread since change is out of the question.

Right?!?  I'm doing the cooking.  I shouldn't also be tracking people down and issuing multiple notifications on the state of dinner.  Have some situational awareness people!  You SMELL the food cooking.  Take out the earbuds and listen for me to yell or come down and ASK how long it will be.  If you HEARD me, acknowledge that you heard me by showing up or at least responding. 

I may or may not have tried this also.  The point may or may not have been entirely lost on him.

You are my hero. 

Lots and lots and lots of sympathy heading your way... :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

I like everyone to eat once everything is on their plate, organized nicely, with a fork.

Unfortunately they get hungry while I am cooking and often come eat bits of what *is* done while the last part of dinner finishes cooking. Drives me crazy! But this thread gives me perspective\: it is the kids/DH eating the food, not me. I can have mine all together on one plate since that is how I like it :) No need to impose my arbitrary preference on them.

Downside of this on my house is I'm the kitchen cleaner and instead of finishing the meal and getting the kitchen tidy I'm waiting to nearly the next meal to do it or doing it in dribs and drabs. I think it's rude and inconsiderate but I can't get my dh to change and it's hard to make the kids change alone. However, I'm sure I have plenty of equally irritating bad habit.

Men seem to have an inflated view of how quickly they can accomplish things/how much they can accomplish in a given time.

It's a 45 minute drive.

Ain't it the truth!!! On Saturday morning DH was taking the three boys to a story time at the library. He had said they needed to leave at 10am, so when it got to be 9:50 and all the boys were still playing in the snow in the backyard I gently mentioned to DH that I thought they were leaving at 10. He looked at me kind of befuddled and said they were going to, but that it wasn't 10 yet.

At 9:58 he announced to the 2, 4 and 6 year olds in the backyard that it was time to go and at 10:25 they had gotten out of their outerwear, gotten drinks, gone potty, changed the two year old's diaper, put on shoes and would have been ready to start loading into the car except clearly they had missed story time by a mile.

The absolutely insane part is that that exact scenario has been playing out for the last 7 years of parenthood and yet even with boatloads of experience and my reminders, DH still doesn't ever leave enough time to get ready.

Wendy

• Like 4

Then you hide the the containers of dinner behind the milk.  Apparently there is a black hole or something behind the milk because neither the husband or the boy can find anything in the fridge if it set behind the milk.  If he has to search for it, maybe he'll get the hint better.

• Like 3

Downside of this on my house is I'm the kitchen cleaner and instead of finishing the meal and getting the kitchen tidy I'm waiting to nearly the next meal to do it or doing it in dribs and drabs. I think it's rude and inconsiderate but I can't get my dh to change and it's hard to make the kids change alone. However, I'm sure I have plenty of equally irritating bad habit.

Ah, I am not the sole kitchen cleaner.  Certainly I clean up (rinse, etc.) the dishes and counter used for making dinner when I finish making dinner, but everyone's plates are mostly up to them to rinse and put in the sink for the person who loads the dishwasher at night.

It's a 45 minute drive.

When you deal with time crunches all the time, you get really aspirational.

I do this as well. "Today, I believe that finally, the life I want to lead will actually happen. I will not be in the car for 45 minutes."

It is just too much to bear to admit that I'm in my car for 1.5 hours per day. I mean you can make me do the math but I'm sticking to denial.

Otherwise, the rent just won't get paid, groceries won't get bought, etc. because like heck I am going to sit in my car for 8 more hours per week on top of work!

(But I do. I am only capable of this because I imagine that it is a temporary, rare occurrence.)

Oh, this...so many times.

This weekend, he asked me what we needed to get done today.  I tell him that we need to make the breakfast burritos this morning, because the ingredients have been in fridge (we usually make these on our large propane griddle, which he normally runs -- we make about 30 at a time).  He says okay...stays in bed.  I get up, I get out everything we need to cook, wait a bit, tell the kids not to eat, because we're making breakfast burritos (YAY!).  Wait some more, at which point my oldest asks, do you want me to turn on the griddle.  I can get it started.  I say, "sure."  We get all of the burritos cooked, wrapped and are eating, I send one up to dh, thinking he is still in bed -- he's in the bathroom.  We all finish, wash up all of the dishes, put everything away, and he finally comes downstairs...wondering where the breakfast burritos are (the remaining burritos are in the fridge).

Repeat for dinner...

I don't always need his help for cooking, but sometimes we do HUGE batches, and his part is usually to run the fryer or grill part.  The rest of the family preps, cleans, wraps/prepares for storage.  It's just easier that way.  Especially with our large flat-top griddle...we can make so much more at one time than I can on the stove.

It is funny and sad at the same time.

• Like 1

He said on toast.

I asked him a couple of times. finally I made the toast and put the eggs (uncooked in shell) on top of the toast.

He wasn't happy. I did what he told me to do. They were brought back with the word scrambled,

Have you been married 26 years because you did this early on and he figured out how to ask for eggs?

Or have you been married 26 years and he STILL hasn't figured out how to ask for eggs?

Ă°Å¸ËœÅ 

• Like 3

I've been married for over two decades now. I finally realized that when I say:

I'm making breakfast. How do you want your eggs?

DH hears:

I'm making breakfast. After you tell me how you want your eggs I want you to jump in the shower so that you can eat them cold.

Maybe he is like my son. I finally convinced him that it is rude to make me wait at the table so now he comes when I call and puts his plate in the fridge. Then we sit and have a nice conversation while I eat my hot food. When his food is "nice and cool" he retrieves it and eats it.

• Like 1

One thing I started years ago is that when Dh asks when we have to be somewhere, I just tell him what time we have to start getting ready at. 

For example we had to be at a friends house at 1:30. I told him that we have to start getting ready at 1, because knowing him that would have us arriving on time. (we were perfectly on time. :) )

Wow - just checked in on this thread and y'all have my sympathy!!!

We have no such problems here.  Granted, we almost always fix our own breakfasts, but when we don't (or for other meals), these issues just don't happen.  I haven't even "trained" my guy - or done anything special with my boys to teach them.

After reading the thread, I'll admit I feel sort of lucky and now it's one more way I can add to my "love hubby" list.

• Like 4

This drives me crazy.  I'll announce a meal is ready and then everyone takes their sweet @$$ time getting to the table.  So I stopped caring.  I announce it then I sit down and eat.  My father is even worse.  He takes long to move to the table to eat and then by the time he does the food is cold and he microwaves his food.  So there is shuffling around.  He also shakes because of medication.  So stuff is spilled all over the place. 

But damn it's like they do not realize how annoying that is.  My DH never cooks.  Of course he gets upset if I don't read all 1000 of his daily e-mails.  He e-mails me a lot of various news articles.  He might put 10 in one e-mail.  I don't have time to read all of that.  (I don't think he is literally upset, but he'll say hey what did you think about...xyz and I'll say what about xyz and he says didn't you read the e-mail I sent?!)

Whew..so glad to get that off my chest. Thank you.  LOL 

You people are a lot more patient than I am! My DH has health issues, but he knows that the *least* I expect is for him to come to the table and share a meal (on time, without being disruptive) whenever he can. (When he can't, I take him a tray: I'm not an ogre.) I can't imagine being tolerant around meal-insulting behaviour from fully functional humans.

I also can't imagine how I'd 'not tolerate' it. I think I'd just say, "It really irritates me when you xyz. I'd like you to try to change your habit so that I can cook for you and feel good about it. Does that sound like a reasonable request?" -- but there must be relationships where either 'you don't say that' or it doesn't work. My marriage is so modified by health issues that I have trouble understanding normal couple relationships.

• Like 3

OK, I'm so glad this is not just in my house. DH gets home quite late, so he calls when he leaves, and I cook or reheat food for him so it's ready on the table when he gets here. And he likes his food HOT, not room temp, so I try to accommodate that. After a few years of this, I finally realized that when he gets home, he kisses me, says "Yum!" and maybe has one bite, and then proceeds to spend the next 20 minutes in the bathroom or on one last work phone call or chatting with one of the kids, only to return to the table to cold food. I started not prepping his food until he walked in the door, and he started pouting that food wasn't ready when he got home! So now I have it ready when he gets home, and if he wants to fiddle around for 20 minutes and eat cold food, that's up to him. But oh, it drove me crazy for a LONG time!

Have you been married 26 years because you did this early on and he figured out how to ask for eggs?

Or have you been married 26 years and he STILL hasn't figured out how to ask for eggs?

Ă°Å¸ËœÅ 

He still hasn't figured it out :closedeyes:. 

This was a recent event.

• Like 1

After almost 20 years of marriage, I have finally let this one go. My dh doesn't care if his eggs are cold. That was a difficult concept for me because I couldn't gag them down if they were cold. I want my food hot and it drives me crazy to work for hours preparing a lovely meal and then have to sit there for 20 minutes letting everything get cold while my husband finishes up work calls, etc. I've stopped waiting for him and I know I'm happier because of it. Oh, and even if he eats it warm, he will dump half a bottle of peanut sauce all over whatever I've made. So, I only make it if I think I or one of my kids will enjoy it.

And this happens at family holidays, too. My mother and I spend hours in the kitchen cooking food and then when it's ready? It takes half an hour to get everyone to the table. I've come to accept that all my holiday meals will be cold.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1

Ain't it the truth!!! On Saturday morning DH was taking the three boys to a story time at the library. He had said they needed to leave at 10am, so when it got to be 9:50 and all the boys were still playing in the snow in the backyard I gently mentioned to DH that I thought they were leaving at 10. He looked at me kind of befuddled and said they were going to, but that it wasn't 10 yet.

At 9:58 he announced to the 2, 4 and 6 year olds in the backyard that it was time to go and at 10:25 they had gotten out of their outerwear, gotten drinks, gone potty, changed the two year old's diaper, put on shoes and would have been ready to start loading into the car except clearly they had missed story time by a mile.

The absolutely insane part is that that exact scenario has been playing out for the last 7 years of parenthood and yet even with boatloads of experience and my reminders, DH still doesn't ever leave enough time to get ready.

Wendy

Wow. I must admit that would have taken me way past ticked off before we got very far into our parenting journey. I'd be ready to blow a gasket after years of that.

I'd tend to think he was full of it about wanting to take them to story time and was being passive aggressive about not having to do it. Passive aggressive and me do NOT even slightly endure each other's company for more than maybe 20 seconds.

I mean sure sometimes that happens, but all the time for years on end? I would not cope well with that.

And dang, there's a stampede to the table the second the bell rings that food is ready. There's 4 teens and 2 twenty-somethings plus the little scramblers, so you better hurry up and get it while there's still some left.

And I do dishes once when the meal is over. If they eat after that, they better clean it up themselves. Because yeah, doing dinner dishes 2-3 times before bed would make me one cranky woman.

• Like 2

You people are a lot more patient than I am! My DH has health issues, but he knows that the *least* I expect is for him to come to the table and share a meal (on time, without being disruptive) whenever he can. (When he can't, I take him a tray: I'm not an ogre.) I can't imagine being tolerant around meal-insulting behaviour from fully functional humans.

I also can't imagine how I'd 'not tolerate' it. I think I'd just say, "It really irritates me when you xyz. I'd like you to try to change your habit so that I can cook for you and feel good about it. Does that sound like a reasonable request?" -- but there must be relationships where either 'you don't say that' or it doesn't work. My marriage is so modified by health issues that I have trouble understanding normal couple relationships.

Well in this case, I don't think you have a problem understanding bc I don't think this is normal even if it is apparently common. It makes no sense to me at all. I for sure don't have patience for it either.

Wendy

My perpetually late uncle would be given a time that is an hour earlier than required. He was nearly late to a wedding, arriving just before the wedding march was played and that was after being told an earlier time to show up.

My hubby tends to be late for work because no one is on time. Company culture :P

If big family meals are served buffet style, my relatives would be eating faster than the cooks (my aunts) could replenish. Most of us would have sneeked into the kitchen to grab a bite while the cooks are still cooking.

We do have cold platters; plates of cold meat and plates of sliced/cut fruits for the young kids who are too hungry to wait for the warm food to be ready.

We seldom have formal dinners for big family gatherings other than for weddings and those are catered.

I'm so glad my DH and DD are not the only ones. But only 20 minutes would be heavenly! They practically live in the bathrooms, it seems. DS and I often have to kick one of them out to use the facilities as intended. In, washed hands, out - in 2 minutes or less.

I'm so glad my DH and DD are not the only ones. But only 20 minutes would be heavenly! They practically live in the bathrooms, it seems. DS and I often have to kick one of them out to use the facilities as intended. In, washed hands, out - in 2 minutes or less.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

In my family it is just ds with this issue. Not only can he spend all day in the bathroom, he will inevitably jump in the shower when I say dinner is almost ready. He is not capable of fast showers. He does everything slowly. 

I call dinner as I set it on the table. Then I sit down and eat it, with the family, with part of the family, or alone. My family knows this. I have no tolerance for cold food and by the time I get food on the table, I'm hungry!

• Like 1