Menu

So now I've seen how the "other side" lives...

kentuckymom

Alcohol at kids' parties seems normal to me.  Many not quite as much in the US, but generally when I go to a party of any type in any part of the world, the adults drink unless I am with LDS friends.

Personally, I prefer kids' parties where the parents don't stick around.  I don't have a great need to hang out with the parents of my kids' friends, nor do I want to entertain adults at a kid party.  

• Like 2

Personally, I prefer kids' parties where the parents don't stick around.  I don't have a great need to hang out with the parents of my kids' friends, nor do I want to entertain adults at a kid party.  

Yes, this.

I found this very odd when we moved to the US. Back home, parents never hang around, and they also do not bring siblings. You invite the kids, and only the kids.

Edited by regentrude

What's the real number? I had brunch at a place where "bottomless" meant 4 (maybe . . . Can't remember exactly.) I have one and I'm good, but a friend found the limit one day. I'm a much cheaper date.

LOL, the real number refills until I ran out of champagne. Most people had one, but two people didn't get any refills when I ran out of champagne. I will do it again on Mother's Day, but I will buy a LOT more champagne.

We belong to a group (that exists to benefit autistic children and their families) but they do everything fun on Sunday mornings. Free movies. Free museum day. Free bouncy house. Sporting leagues for kids with disabilities. We have two services at church but that doesn't always work out for us. We have to pass on a lot of it, unfortunately. I guess Sunday morning is when people feel generous about giving our group free access to their stuff. 

It's kind of the same with homeschooling... we recently set up a small group and were meeting for the first time last Thurs, but the location called us and said "we forgot the kids are out of school, sorry, you can't have it this week." The real people needed it. LOL.

This post is all in fun, so please don't get up in arms about it no matter what viewpoint you're coming from.

Please know that my response as someone from the other side is also in fun.

My daughter was invited to a birthday party by a preschool classmate at 10:30 on a Sunday morning. My first thought was, "Seriously? Who has a party at 10:30 on a Sunday morning?

That would be my first thought too. I mean, you have to get up early and get everything ready, including the (probably overexcited) birthday child. And since the party is elsewhere, you have to get everyone out the door (and maybe even decorate the office?). Who does that?  :laugh:

Apparently some of them throw birthday parties at the offices of a non profit at which they serve mimosas. I've never been a children's party at which alcohol was served. Mind you, the parents weren't getting drunk or anything and I don't think it was wrong, just weird. My daughter's friend's parents are definitely not the kind of people in my usual circle.

I've been to children's parties where alcohol is served, but never in a brunch type situation. Usually they're afternoon parties, and the alcohol is just beer and wine or wine coolers. Mimosas are important enough to be saved for adults only events (like a nice brunch).

Here are some things sane people on the other side do on Sunday mornings. Those of us who don't hold a child's birthday party before noon. 

-Watch CBS Sunday Morning

-Have a big Sunday breakfast (dh is our breakfast cook)

-Lay in bed and read while drinking coffee

-Housework, laundry, meal planning, or other mundane stuff

-Get online and browse WTM

-Most Sundays are no different from most Saturdays

So now you know - Living on the other side isn't nearly as exciting as birthday parties and mimosas. :D I'm glad your dd had a good time

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 9

I don't live in the Bible belt, but a child's birthday party on Sunday morning would be very odd. Mimosas at a brunch, whether at a restaurant or someone's house, is normal. I have served alcohol at a child's birthday party: a backyard barbecue where entire families were invited. Same for graduation parties. Beer and wine for the adults, pop and punch for the kids. Same for most of the parties we get invited to.

Of course, most of these people are Catholic, so no objection to having a beer, glass of wine, or mimosa. We will have mimosas at our Easter Sunday brunch.

• Like 1

FWIW, I live in Southern California and in our broader social circle church attendance is the exception rather than the rule. If I stretch my brain I can think of maybe two church-going families, and one family that runs a Hillel so they probably regularly do services, but that's about it.

I wouldn't think twice about organizing a Sunday morning birthday party. I have no point other than that regional differences are alive and well in America.

Exactly this. We usually serve margaritas at our parties, and the parents have a blast. A piñata is also a requirement. :)

• Like 2

:blink: Really? I've never been in a group that had mimosas for brunch.

:blink: Really? Mimosas are a common brunch drink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa_(cocktail)

Mimosa is a  composed of equal parts champagne (or other sparkling wine) and chilled citrus fruit juice, usually orange juice unless otherwise specified (e.g. a grapefruit juice mimosa). It is traditionally served in a tall champagne flute with a morning brunch, to guests at weddings, or as part of "1st Class" service on some passenger railways and airlines .

• Like 2

I'm glad everyone has taken this thread in the spirit in which it was intended :). To answer the question of some upthread, no, I doubt the numbers were way down due to people who decided to skip the party in favor of church. Not everyone from the class was there, but there were almost 30 kids (I would say 1/3 family and neighborhood friends and 2/3 school friends) so it's not like their Sunday morning time choice was a flop. Of course, the demographic at DD's preschool tends to skew more liberal and secular than the city at large. I do, however, know two other moms for sure who would otherwise have been in church at that time. In fact, I commiserated with one over the time.

And, yes, I'm sure there were nonchurchgoing parents who got the invite and thought, "What?! 10:30 is way too early to go anywhere on a Sunday morning." I'm sure many appreciated the mimosas as a reward :). And, for the record, I am not above having a glass of wine with dinner, but, even though I know intellectually that mimosas are common at brunch, it just feels wrong to me to drink anything with alcohol in the morning.

• Like 4

This. 

Nothing about the situation you described is strange to me, OP. Sorry. I guess I can see how it might be strange to some here.... kinda... a bit.

It's just a different culture. Not necessarily Mexican or a different country, I am Caucasian Australian. Just a different culture and perspective. 

This, except I'm not Australian. I do live in the States, but it's definitely not the bible belt. It would never have occurred to me that anyone would find it odd to have a kids' party at 10:30 on Sunday morning. However, if I lived in Kentucky, I'd probably be aware that the prevailing attitude there is church.

We've always had alcohol at kids' birthday parties, both the ones we've hosted and the ones we've attended. I don't think we've ever been to one at someone's home where alcohol wasn't served, and I think it would be a bit odd to not serve alcohol if the parents are attending!

• Like 2

I think it's funny that people think 10:30 is early for a kid's party. That's pretty standard around here. The kids play for an hour, then have lunch and cake. The birthday kid opens presents and you're home by 12:30 with half the day left.

I actually hosted my daughter's 1st and 2nd birthday parties at 8:30 and 9:30, respectively. We were in a very hot climate in July for #1, so we had a shady backyard breakfast before the heat of the day. #2 had snacks but not a full meal and was at a park under the trees. My friends and their kids are all up by 7:00 anyway so an early party is nice because it doesn't eat up the middle of the day.

Given that all my kids' parties have been full family parties, mimosas don't sound that strange because I plan my food with adults in mind too. Alcohol is not a part of my family's culture, but I don't find its inclusion at such an event odd. I've definitely been to BBQ parties for toddlers and preschoolers that included beer.

I once skipped church for an 11:00 party because it was for the son of a close friend. She chose Sunday based on her mom's availability, knowing it might mean some guests wouldn't attend.

Edited by AndyJoy

We've always had alcohol at kids' birthday parties, both the ones we've hosted and the ones we've attended. I don't think we've ever been to one at someone's home where alcohol wasn't served, and I think it would be a bit odd to not serve alcohol if the parents are attending!

I went to a wedding once where alcohol wasn't served. The bride's family was Southern Baptist and the groom's Catholic (the bride converted btw). Members of the groom's family kept going outside, and this was in the days when smoking indoors was accepted, so they weren't popping out for a cigarette. As a sort of outsider but a Catholic myself, I knew why they were going outside and thought it was hilarious. 

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 1

My neighbor had a 7yo exotic pet party (where the keeper brings several exotic animals to your house) at 10:00am on a Sunday.  The day and time were chosen because the invitees all have sport commitments all the other days of the week.  At first I grumbled because I HATE getting up "early" on Sunday, but being done by 12:00pm was AWESOME!  I was very happy to not have the entire day broken up by a bday party!  Mimosas and an awesome towering donut cake was served!

I prefer later parties with a wider variety of alcoholic beverages.  ;)

When I was younger, my grandparents owned a tavern.  Every party was held there.  Every party after they sold it has had alcohol available.  It would probably feel strange to me to go to a party without alcohol, but I can't remember that ever happening!  (It probably has, but I was probably pregnant or driving and didn't notice.)

• Like 1

Yes, this.

I found this very odd when we moved to the US. Back home, parents never hang around, and they also do not bring siblings. You invite the kids, and only the kids.

This is the way it was when I was a kid. It was still like this when my oldest was a little girl in the early 90s. Then we started homeschooling and the only birthday parties the kids were invited to were in the neighborhood. Some with parents, some without. I thought it was because we all already knew each other but I guess not! I'm not really sure when the shift occurred. Maybe it went along with the rule at many preschools "party invitations exclude no one if handed out in school." Now, this is a good rule. But I can imagine wrangling 20-30 four years olds isn't easy. I can remember my parties being 3 to maybe 8 kids. I didn't even have friend parties until I was 8.

The Sunday morning part would be extremely weird to me.   We'd attend pretty much any kid's party DD was invited to, but I'd worry we'd be the only ones.

The alcohol is totally not weird to me.  But, then all DD's parties have been in a home and her birthday is celebrated on July 4th.   July 4th without alcohol would be weird.   In fact, if I were pregnant then and didn't want everyone to know, I'd pretty much have to drink cranberry juice out of a red wine glass.   I might serve mimosas this year.  

• Like 1

re brunch food

I don't find it terribly strange, although Sunday morning would not be on my radar because the great majority of people I may invite would be at church, and we also go to church.

However, let me just say that as a host, I will never again organize a brunch for any purpose! There is not enough lead-up time for me to clean and prepare food the way I want. I did a brunch one time and realized that was the worst party (for me) ever. I was also making food for so much of the time that I barely saw my guests - clearly, poor menu selection on my part.

It took me a while to work this bit out.  Egg casseroles, quiche, bagels-with-fixings spread out on a buffet table.  Sit down with your coffee / tea / juice / mimosa / bloody mary and enjoy your guests!

• Like 3

For us, whether to do Sunday morning would depend on who we were inviting. My DD is very savvy about who is available on Sundays and who isn't. Though unless it was at a venue where I got a better deal (like a kids' party type venue), I wouldn't schedule much of anything on Sunday morning. It's totally for sleeping in!

I don't think I've ever had mimosas, but I have had children's birthday parties, especially for young children, which had more adults than children at them, so why not? 

re brunch food

It took me a while to work this bit out. Egg casseroles, quiche, bagels-with-fixings spread out on a buffet table. Sit down with your coffee / tea / juice / mimosa / bloody mary and enjoy your guests!

Ah, but I still have my OCD cleaning standards to overcome...

• Like 1

Sunday 10:30am is a good time if guests are not Sunday church goers. Some of my friends attend the Saturday service. The typical hosting places are underbooked for Sunday mornings so high chance of getting an accessible location at lower cost with the whole place to our guests.

My friends do serve beer and wine at birthday parties regardless of time of day if at their home. Some outside hosting places do not allow alcohol on site.

Ah, but I still have my OCD cleaning standards to overcome...

That is why we host our kids birthday parties elsewhere. Hubby is the one with higher cleaning standards.

• Like 1

:blink: Really? I've never been in a group that had mimosas for brunch.

When the heck else do people drink mimosas?  It's not exactly an after dinner kinda drink.  It's classic, all-American brunch fare.  It goes with bacon and waffles and quiche and roasted asparagus. 

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 5

I figured it out! The birthday girl was one of those kids who keep asking the parents "Is my party staring soon?" They wanted to spare themselves hours and hours of hearing this, so they did it early in the day.

By that metric, it would have to be at 6AM for my son, lol.  I think turnout would be low. 

• Like 1

Some people, like myself (and I'm assuming Ellie), just don't have alcohol in our lives to any great extent. The occasional champagne toast at a wedding or a cocktail at a high-end function once every couple of years, but otherwise that's it. Mimosas just aren't in our vocabulary. (I seriously never heard of a mimosa until watching The Incredibles.) And if your extended family doesn't drink nor do people in your social circle, it's just not at all a common experience. Until this thread, I didn't even know it was supposedly a breakfast drink. Eta: And I'm 43 years old, and just learning about this.

Sure, but if one has never heard of them or doesn't drink them it's probably safe to say that they might not be an authority on when they are consumed. Mimosas and Bloody Marys are definitely brunch fare.

My husband and I drink very little and very rarely as well, but these are the drinks we see served at brunch or on brunch menus. I was totally str8 edge (no alcohol among other things) until I was well into adulthood and my husband basically still is because his dad was an abusive alcoholic. So I don't know that not drinking means people would necessarily not know. I've never seen mimosas offered up past mid-afternoon. Unless someone just really likes their orange juice. ;)

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

Mmmmmmmmmm... mimosas!  <insert silly saying about alcohol not being an issue before noon as long as it is mixed with fruit or vegetable juices> 

The only thing odd to me is that the party is scheduled on Sunday.  Growing up, I attended parties with and without alcohol.  "Adult drinks" were served in cups to be less glaringly obvious to observers.  

My childhood wasn't "normal" though.  We've struggled with where to draw the line for our family and children's observations.  At one point, my children had never seen either of us have a casual drink.  A as in ONE.  Then I started to wonder if that was the right approach.  After talking about it in counseling (yeah, I've had lots of long, long talks with mine) I decided it was okay for them to see *a* drink or two.  I didn't want it to make it an interesting but forbidden novelty.  We are never "drunk" though, because we don't want to set that example either and due to my childhood, *I* don't enjoy feeling drunk.  It just brings up bad memories.  

My children do not serve alcohol like I did as a child. I don't mean just bringing a beer, I was mixing drinks the summer after 5th grade.  About that not normal childhood....  

As for my faith, I've seen all kinds of extremes as I've sought out what I believe.  We aren't in the "absolutely never camp" or in the "party all the time camp" but both are present in various social circles we are in.  

• Like 1

Part of this is that mixing it with OJ is a good way to use up the remaining part of a bottle of champagne that was opened the night before. It goes flat. One of the only times of year I have mimosas are on Christmas morning because the bottle of champange from Christmas Eve is still about 1/2 full. The other time is Easter Brunch at my friends' house. Because the wife in that family loves her orange juice and bubbly.

Edited by LucyStoner

By that metric, it would have to be at 6AM for my son, lol.  I think turnout would be low. 

We're still getting rolling at 6am, but 8am would be perfect.  The kids are all well rested, well fed and dressed in clothes that they haven't managed to get dirty yet.  We would schedule all our outing at 8am if only the libraries, stores, museums, etc would be open then.

Wendy

• Like 2

We're still getting rolling at 6am, but 8am would be perfect. The kids are all well rested, well fed and dressed in clothes that they haven't managed to get dirty yet. We would schedule all our outing at 8am if only the libraries, stores, museums, etc would be open then.

Wendy

A-yup. I was really unhappy when the library pushed their opening back from 9 to 10. :P